“Disappointed” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Oakwood Premier Joy-Nostalg Center Manila

You added Oakwood Premier Joy-Nostalg Center Manila to your Saves list
Oakwood Premier Joy-Nostalg Center Manila
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   17 ADB Avenue Ortigas Center, Pasig, Luzon, Philippines   |
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Pasig
San Francisco, California
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

My last night of my Philippines vacation was at the Oakwood Premier Joy Hotel. The price is not cheap to stay here, but I justified that I needed a more luxury and comfortable experience at a hotel before I have my long flight home. I'd have to say, there were too many things that went wrong on my stay to consider this a luxury hotel. I would not rate the hotel as a "terrible" rating because our room (minus the cockroaches) was nice, but with all of the things that went wrong on our stay, I feel the hotel deserves a "poor" rating.

Breakfast - We were told breakfast was 1000 pesos per person when we checked in, but when we got the bill the next morning, it was 1350 per person.

Pedicure/Manicure - The night before, we scheduled a manicure for 3 people in the morning. The next morning, 15 minutes before the appointment, we were told that they can't do a manicure for 3, but only 2, which was disappointing because this was a time for all 3 of us to bond and relax together. Of the 2 people that could still get in, 1 person was cut in several places with the tools and got an infection. The tools that were used looked very used and unclean. We asked if the tools were sanitized, but they did not understand us.

Cockroaches - We had two cockroaches in our room during our stay. When we had the mani/pedi in our room, the manicurist lady there saw one of the cockroaches crawling up our wall and just laughed. Nothing was reported to management afterwards until I asked to speak with the manager later.

Smoke - Our room was non-smoking; however, in the morning a plume of smoke can into our room after we returned from breakfast. I called the front desk to complain and they told me that the room above us was a smoking room and that the air vents must be connected. Really? A smoking room connected to a non-smoking room? An hour later, someone showed up at our door with an air filter.

Speaking to the manager at checkout: After we had several bad experiences at this hotel, I felt inclined to speak with the manager of the hotel. The manager's name was Sonny. I did not have time to tell him about everything poor event that happened, but I did tell him that we had horrible smoke in our room and cockroaches in our room. Sonny did not even respond about the cockroaches (not sure why, maybe this is common). He did reply about the smoke and said he was going to look into why the smoke got into our room, and he said he would email me, which he never did. I told him I think we deserve a discount on our room rate because of what happened, and he told me that "Oakwood's policy is not to give discounts." I was definitely shocked when he said this! If Oakwood expects to be a respected, luxury international hotel chain, the company better make some changes and actually care about its customers’ stay experience.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Rick E, General Manager at Oakwood Premier Joy-Nostalg Center Manila, responded to this review, February 2, 2014
Dear Affpat,

Thank you for the time taken to review the Hotel. The team and I were disappointed to read your comments in general about the negative experience you had with us. Clearly our follow up during your stay was also lacking. I have taken the liberty to review each concern raised with the relevent team members this morning.

Please accept my apologies however feel free to drop me a note if you are planning to return to us in the near future as we certainly wish to change the current perception you may have about us. My email is rick.erdos@oakwoodasia.com

Regards

Rick Erdos

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Quezon City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

what made it all worth it is i bought a membership from the hotel. with the hotel membership voucher; i got a 1 bedroom suite for php4,000 a night.

what i live about oakwood is that it's complete. theres a kitchen. you can cook (complete equipment utensils dishes ground coffee beans etc; there's even an oven; a huge ref,etc.), wash clothes (washing machine with dryer in room), etc. it's spacious too.

for the 1-bedroom, there is a living room with tv and dining area.

the c.r. has sauna and its own Cable TV. cool! it just lacks a bidet. for the 1 bedroom, the cr has an additional bathtub and another sink.

there's free internet too. and free parking for one car.

it's near podium (a mall), a 7-11 is just nearby.

the 5th floor has an indoor swimming pool, massage room, function room, restaurant that offers buffet dinner on weekends. and with my membership, i get a discount of 50% off for 2 pax.

the only downside, the service is just so-so. i checked in there twice and was faced by a not so friendly reception officer. and he was not very accommodating and didnt apologize for mistakes. but that was only 1 person though. forgiven.but i just had to report.

• Stayed January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the time taken to positively review our Hotel. We were delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the one bedroom apartment to your liking. I have noted your comments about check in for which I have passed on to our Manager in that area.

We do look forward in welcoming you back to the Oakwood Premier Joy – Nostalg Center.

Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

This hotel is just what you need when you are away from home, with all the amenities and a homely feel - i was a on a long stay at Manila and it was like staying at a 5 star hotel with homely facilities - plus amazing service. I love this concept and look for oakwood wherever i go now...really nice work and way to go...

Room Tip: I stayed in a 2bhk, if you are more than 3 go for this room with the pool view...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Rick E, General Manager at Oakwood Premier Joy-Nostalg Center Manila, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Dear Kooliam,

Thank you for your wonderful and sincere comments about the hotel. We truly appreciate the time you have taken to compliment our team, the product we offer and the overall Oakwood experience.

On behalf of the management and team, we look forward in welcoming you back to the Oakwood Premier Joy – Nostalg Center.

Manila, Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

Stay two night and spend the new eve here with my wife, we check in at around 2pm and were assign on a room on the ten floor. The room were well design and very spacious. Is equipped kitchen appliance and washing machine for entertainment their is two flat screen tv with dvd player (one in the living room another one in the bed room) and another tv in the bathroom. Housekeeping personnel were very friendly and helpful they even help us on how to use some of appliance. The hotel is located near several shopping mall like Podium and Robinson mall while SM megamall and Shangri la plaza mall is still with in walking distance. The room is well worth the stay but they have limited facility and space on gym and spa service and they have only one restaurant. On the new year eve the hotel don't have a new year count down (were been inform upon check in) while all the mall close early at around 7pm. So we decided to enjoy our new year eve quietly in our cozy bedroom.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Rick E, General Manager at Oakwood Premier Joy-Nostalg Center Manila, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear Tourbear,

Thank you for the time taken to positively review our Hotel. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your New Years Eve celebrations at Oakwood and that overall your stay with us was a pleasant one.

San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

Stayed here with the family for two weeks during our last trip to Manila. We stayed in a three bedroom suite. We loved the breakfast buffet, which we had almost everyday. Their staff is also friendly. The suites are very spacious and we also made use of the gym.

There were some misses:

- The design of my bathroom: the water seeped through the glass door every time I had a shower.
- The pool: It's indoor and 90 degrees Fahrenheit. Really, who needs that in Manila?

Overall, we loved our stay. My niece, Allie, was fond of all the breakfast staff, especially Bruce and Kelvin.

We're looking forward to staying here again during our next visit to Manila.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear Liday,

Thank you for your wonderful and sincere comments about the hotel. We truly appreciate the time you have taken to compliment our team, the product we offer and the all around facilities we have here at Oakwood. I have passed on your comments to all our associates and we thank you for your warm endoorsement of us.

London, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

Oakwood Premier Joy-Nostalg Center Manila

After staying at over half a dozen different hotels in the Metro Manila area, I can now say I have now found the hotel where i'll staying for all my future trips. This dream of a hotel is exactly what myself and my fiance have been looking for, for over 5 years.

The pictures on their website don’t really give it justice. We were given a free upgrade to a 2 bed Suite which was absolutely massive, with a giant bed in the main room and 2 doubles beds in the guest room. The beds and pillows were so sumptuous. All the rooms have a fully functional kitchen with all the appliances you have at home, microwave, washing machine, dishwasher, massive fridge freezer, cooker oven & hob, cutlery pots and pans etc....

The on suite bathroom had a huge bath and flatscreen tv, shower, steam room, and more. The food in this hotel is excellent and so is the customer service from the staff. The location was good for us, walking distance to shops, restaurants, bars and the Mall.
If the points above are what you are looking for in a hotel stay in Manila, you will find it extremely difficult to better the Oakwood Premier Joy-Nostalg Center for comfort, customer service, amenities, and price.

What an absolute JOY!!!

Room Tip: You wont be dissapointed with any of the rooms in this hotel.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Rick E, General Manager at Oakwood Premier Joy-Nostalg Center Manila, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Dear Mar3cus,

Thank you for your wonderful and sincere comments about the hotel. We truly appreciate the time you have taken to compliment our team, the product we offer and the all around facilities we have here at Oakwood. I have passed on your comments to all our associates and we thank you for your warm endoorsement of us to the market.

On behalf of the management and team, we look forward in welcoming you and your fiance back to the Oakwood Premier Joy – Nostalg Center.

Las Pinas, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

gave it 5 stars because it's the most spacious and elegant residence i've got the pleasure to stay at so far. the room is clean and well-maintained. all the amenities you'd expect in a well-kept and modern home is complete here i.e. automatic washing machine, toaster, micro oven, big fridge, coffee maker, dishwasher. it even had an iron and board. what makes it truly exceptional is the 3 flat screens installed in 3 diff areas of the unit (living room/lounge, bedroom and bathroom), the iPod dock and last but not the least the sound bar.

check-in was a breeze (at 7pm). lobby is small but it's not a five star hotel so i guess it doesn't have to compare. local calls are not free (and there's no indication that it's not). price is steep but it compensated with the amenities and the elegance of the unit.

stayed here for the wedding preps of my sister. although the room itself is spacious and could accommodate more wedding suppliers than the usual 1 bedroom suite in a hotel, the aisle outside the rooms is narrow and as i've mentioned earlier the lobby is not big and artistic (so not optimized for photo ops).

all in all i had a wonderful stay and would love to come back.

Room Tip: choose a corner room to get two sides of glass windows in the bedroom
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Damnedvixen,

Thank you for your overall rave review about your recent stay with us. We were delighted to read that you and the entire wedding party had such a great time with us and in particular our room product was to your liking.

It would be great to see back so behalf of the management and team we look forward to seeing you soon here at the Oakwood Premier Joy – Nostalg Center.

Rick Erdos

Been to Oakwood Premier Joy-Nostalg Center Manila? Share your experiences!