“used to be better” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Jen Manila

You added Hotel Jen Manila to your Saves list
Hotel Jen Manila
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3001 Roxas Boulevard, Pasay, Luzon 1305, Philippines (Formerly Traders Hotel, Manila)   |
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Pasay
san francisco, ca
“used to be better”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2008

been staying here since the 90s when it was holiday inn. for last close to 20 yrs been coming back for main reasons : close to airport, inexpensive, great health spa. some 5 yrs ago it was renovated to look more upscale but the rooms are somewhat old. staff usually friendly and fast. i stay in traders club floors and get free breakfast, internet and lounge. i never eat in the restaurant which is so-so. this place could be better but it's ok for short stays. the health spa has declined. hot tub been broken for 8 months now. but massages still the best. no prostitutes hanging in lobby but loads of middle aged men from all over the world bring their filipina gilrfriends here for the night and you see them at breakfast. a little unsightly to see esp in morning.

• Liked — close to airport, rates, spa massages, club lounge
  • Disliked — rooms a little shoddy, boring neighborhood
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Aberdeen
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2008

Stayed here for a week - both in a standard room and then upgraded to a suite. Hotel is pretty basic and could do with some refurbishment. Staff were always nice although the receptionists weren't totally gifted in the cranial area. Rooms were clean and functional. Cerainly Ok for the business traveller - having said that next time I have found a much better hotel at a quarter of Trader's rates - but thats down to my (new) local knowledge. Food was good although expensive. Hardly ever ate at the hotel though - food in local restaurants is excellent and cheap (I never spent more that $8) and local beer is <$1 per bottle. If you need a base that is central and clean, Traders is OK.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — cost
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Laguna
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2008

My recent stay in your hotel TRADERS MANILA...was nothing but disaster. I've been to hundreds of hotels and therefore know what service to expect. BAD SERVICE was all i got. The receptionists were mean and condecending to one of my muslim colleagues. Not giving proper respect to her title of Doctor and just calling her by name is just one of the blunders! Imagine!

BUT my main complaint is they made me wait OVER 5 hours for a room transfer request (which they never assissted me anyway). Granted it was not allowed or nothing was clear, someone should have called me sooner or from time to time and explained instead of dodging my calls and "connecting" me to another department that don't answer anyway! NOBODY COORDINATED WITH ANYBODY!

And the rooms we stayed in was ugly.. BAD PLUMBING AND RATTY FURNITURE ... they need to refurbish everything... by the way all this inconveniences happened with my 1 year old daughter with me.. she was so sleepy and tired and cranky and i couldn't properly put her to bed because of the stupid room transfer. Nobody even offered to help me.

I am really really disappointed. I did not expect this treatment from a 4 star hotel...I am still shaking thinking about that horrible experience. This is the FIRST 4 star hotel ive seen that acted like a 1 star motel probably would. Im so upset that i cannot elaborate on the story ...I called them a million times on the phone following up my request that never came. Bribing me with HOURLY complimentary fruit baskets do not make me less upset. I WILL NEVER GO BACK TO YOUR HOTEL AND WILL TELL ALL MY FRIENDS AND RELATIVES...DOCTORS AND ALL!!!

They should be reprimanded.. This is the kind of service that makes bad business!

• Liked — free internet access
  • Disliked — everything else!!!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
andrea_mastellone, General Manager at Hotel Jen Manila, responded to this review, May 19, 2008
Thank you for giving us this opportunity to reply to the issues raised recently by one of the Trip Advisor’s users.
The standard greeting of our receptionist is “good morning, Sir/Madam or Mr. followed by the guest’s surname. If they are aware of their title, the guests are greeted by their designation, Hence, this is the first time we received such a complaint. Our staff is well trained in the aspect of courtesy. We strictly adhere to our core values and respect is one of them. We are constantly reinforcing the greeting standards to our team members.

The thorough investigation we conducted, reveal that our guest raised her request for a room transfer to the host company coordinator and not directly to our Manager on duty nor to any other hotel personnel. We learned that it took a while for the company coordinator to respond to her request because he had to seek the approval of higher management which we learned later, was disapproved. Hence, our receptionist was unaware of the situation until a few hours have passed. After receiving her complaint, our Manager on duty acted upon her request immediately.

Regarding the state of the rooms and furniture, while it is true that the hotel has already mapped out a full renovation plan which is actually ongoing, some rooms have not been fully refurbished yet. Having stated that, we do however try our utmost to maintain our facilities. The plumbing problem, on the other hand, has already been rectified.

Traders Hotel Manila would like to reassure Trip Advisor’s users that we take all matters concerning guest complaints very seriously. We welcome criticisms as opportunities to improve our product and services.

With best regards

Andrea Mastellone
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2008

Very nice place in a central location. The service here was excellent, the rooms were clean and well appointed. We didn't try the house dining options, but they looked very very good. It's a short drive to the historic part of the city and a very short drive to the huge 'mall of asia'. Also close by are the Cultural Center of the Philippines and the Coconut Palace. A very good choice for a short stay and an excellent choice for any business traveller.

• Liked — Great Service, good location, very clean, well known.
  • Disliked — hard to find much to complain about.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2008

Stayed there many times and have never been disappointed. Great views! The rooms are also clean and spacious. OK, drainage may play up now and again (when you're having a shower), but that can't be blamed on the hotel. Staff are most courteous without being servile. 10/10 for these guys. Great location for the Cultural Centre/Marina/restaurants and a leisurely stroll/fast cab ride to Roxas Blvd where you can enjoy live bands performing.

Pics/vids to follow once I get the hang of tripadvisor :¬)

• Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
San Francisco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2008

I will never stay at Traders Hotel again! The hotel has a mildew smell and mildew on some areas of the hotel as well. The bathtubs were clogged and had rust around the metals. My children even found roaches on the walls. The hotel lobby is swarming with prostitutes waiting for business men. The staff was very friendly and accommodating, but it doesn't make up for the unpleasant experience staying at Traders Hotel.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — The roaches and the smell of the hotel
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Marshall Islands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2007

I have been to the Philippines six times now. I have stayed every where from Baguio to Mindanao, and I usually can say good things about all accomodations I have stayed at..except for this one. First off the room..no light bulbs in two lamps, towels frayed at the edges as if they were 10yrs old, the phone in the room did not work and the help in this matter was dismal. I waited over an hour for my luggage after check in, then went down on my own to the bell hop area and brought my own bags up. Finally, I noticed in the morning that there was what appeared to be blood from previous guest smeared on the corner of the white bed comforter..it was not mine. I came back to a made up room, with the bed made up with the same comforter..once again bloodied in the same spot.

Never, I mean Never even in distance provinces have I ever stayed in such a shotty hotel. What is really perplexing is that this is a shangri-la affiliate. I have stayed in their hotels all over Asia..and they are wonderful. This is an embarassment to that organization.

• Liked — The coffee shop out side
  • Disliked — Blood on the comforter
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hotel Jen Manila? Share your experiences!