“Great stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Edsa Shangri-La

Save Saved
You added Edsa Shangri-La to your Saves list
Edsa Shangri-La
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Garden Way | Ortigas Center, Mandaluyong, Luzon 1650, Philippines   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
BonusChoice
Ranked #1 of 6 hotels in Mandaluyong
London, United Kingdom
“Great stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We stayed at the hotel in october and had a great overall experience. We just wanted to chill out for a week after visiting our daughter in Hong Kong and found it to be up to the Shangri la's usual high standard. We knew there was building work around the hotel so asked for a garden room and found it to be fine with no noise. The staff are very friendly and helpful and nothing is to much trouble.

Room Tip: Choose a garden wing room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

729 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Korean first
Makati, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Who would have thought we'll end up in Shangri-La? Kidding aside, we never planned on staying there since we always loved the Pan Pacific! But we ran out of hotels with a resort-like feel in the middle of the city, and boy, we decided to pack our things and head straight to Edsa Shangri-la. There's a lot of constructions going on, renovation of its namesake mall and residential condominium. A bit disappointed with the man on the front desk, not smiling, and even told us that our breakfast is not included for the two night’s stay we have booked. Then i reminded him that IT IS included and he might as well read the print-out for our reservation. But he apologizes and suddenly put on a smile and told us that we will have unlimited internet, unlimited laundry etc....They also apologized for the noise which we have to endure from 10am to 6pm. I was expecting a grand room on the tower wing, a bit outdated but huge enough for the three of us, (they MUST change the television and the furniture!)The bathroom is quite small for a Shangri-La standard. We love the view of the Ortigas Business Center. The breakfast selections at HEAT were superb! The best! The restaurant staffs are very accommodating and very attentive to every whim of their guests. What we enjoyed most, and it’s our top choice of facility when staying in a hotel, was the magnificent pool. I would say better than Sofitel's and way better than Pan Pacific. My son enjoyed swimming on the pool, especially at night with all the beautiful lights! The lobby lounge has this perfect view of the garden, very relaxing. The mezzanine level has the best bar (PAPARAZZI) and uber-chic restaurants (dimsum at SUMMER PALACE and a sushi bar at SENJU). The restaurants interiors are quite fabulous! We love browsing the many luxurious shops (mostly jewellery shops, but they should have a better selections of breads and pastry on the pastry shop. Overall, we had so much fun and my 3 year old son requested that we should have stayed longer. We have a free shuttle service and all I could say was the driver was very professional and friendly. We will definitely come back!

Room Tip: Dont hesitate to book a Horizon Club room and make sure it's on the upper floors with either the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Barcelona, Spain
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I've been a long time fan of Shangri-La and over the years have been a Diamond member with their Circle Program, so needless to say I've had countless stays with the Shang franchise and have experienced enough of their hotels to make the following statement - Shangri-La EDSA is not a Shang Hotel. In fact it shouldn't even be taking reservations in its current state as it poses a health hazard.

The week before I moved to Shang EDSA I had a suite at Shangri-La Makati, so that made the contrast between the two even greater. Shangri-La Makati is by no means perfect, the hotel is run down and the staff is good at best, but compared to EDSA they are all superstars and the hotel itself is a shining jewel.

Now let me break down my one week stay at Shang EDSA so that you, my fellow TripAdvisor users, hopefully won't make the same mistake I did and stay at this horrid hotel.

As I said the week prior to moving to Shang I had one suite at Shang Makati and one regular room. In my second week I had staff and business partners of mine fly into Manila so I decided it would make more sense to move everyone to Shang EDSA due to its proximity to the company's office. So with EDSA Shang I had four rooms, which at most chains would be enough to give you some sort of expedited premium service, but not at Shang EDSA.

Anyways as I arrive at the hotel Monday morning the first thing that hits me is the horrible mold/mildew smell that lingers in the air. This smell is so distinct to the Philippines that it used to be the trademark smell that everyone remembers at NAIA airport. So what was it doing at Shang EDSA? Good question. In fact I raised that to management, but more on that later.

So, as I get to my room it was like walking into a cloud of mold and moisture. Everything from the bedsheets to the towels in the room are moist and the smell is about 10x worse than what you smell in the lobby and the elevators. The room itself is so outdated that I feel like I've stepped into a time machine, as I can't remember the last time I saw a non flatscreen TV from the 1990's. The bathroom is like that of a Motel6, with the shower and hot tub being one in the same, where it is necessary to take my shower while standing in ankle deep water in the bathtub. And the icing on the cake is of course the construction that is happening several floors above me, which you can clearly and loudly hear through the airconditioning vents.

I call up my guests and amazingly it turns out that my room is actually one of the better ones, as theirs has cracks in the ceiling, even more moisture lingering in the air and holes in their toilet paper from whatever infectious bugs were living in there. I will let them do their own review and add their own pictures of that mess.

Needless to say this is not what you would probably have in mind when you book a stay at Shangri-La, so we went down to the lobby and complained, trying to see if we could get some other rooms that wouldn't make us want to sleep outside instead. This turned out to be impossible as the hotel was fully booked, but we got to speak with Warren the service manager, who told us the situation and promised he would do his best to get us new rooms by the next day. He got a dehumidifier placed in my room to help remove the smell and the moisture, but having such a machine running throughout the night makes it close to impossible to sleep.

In the morning I meet with Joyce, which is the day shift service manager and she assures me management are on it. I ask if they can just move us all to the Makati Shang - at this point I don't even mind paying the extra premium for Makati Shang, but sadly Makati Shang is fully booked. I leave for the office and come back in the afternoon and Warren is back. At this point we've already had one room swapped and I've been upgraded to a suite in the Garden Wing. I talk with Warren and ask him the simple question, "Why are you even letting people book these rooms, when it is clear that there is a serious mold problem throughout the entire hotel that undoubtedly poses a health hazard to your guests?" I go on to tell him that had this been anywhere in the Western Hemisphere the hotel would have been shut down by the health department and he replies, "Yes I know."

Dumbfounded by his reply I go to my upgraded room which is a smoking suite, but at this point I don't even mind the smoke residue as it beats the smell of mold. I crash for the night and go to the office in the morning. When I come back my newly upgraded room smells just like my old room and the moisture smell has returned, and the hallway is filled with the dehumidifier machines. I figure this is as good as it will get at this hotel and book myself a massage at the Chi Spa with a gift certificate my friends had given me.

As I arrive at the Chi Spa I sit down and ask the girl working there if this can be used at Chi Spa at Boracay as well, as I have a stay there later in the year and don't see how I will manage to spend 15k pesos on massages in one week. She says no. I ask why, as it says redeemable at Chi Spa. I ask if Chi Spa is not a franchise that is part of the same chain. She says no. Interesting, but at this point I'm too stressed out to even argue about why someone would brand a gift certificate with Chi Spa and lock it in at one outlet only. I can use a $5 Starbucks giftcard anywhere in the world, but not a 15k peso spa certificate.

I sit for another 5 minutes and the same girl comes back and asks me what add-on services I would like. I ask her what she means as I just ordered a 1.5 hour massage. She then tells me that I have to use the full amount of the gift card, which is worth 15k pesos and that this massage is about 5k. At this point given everything else that has happened I lose my cool completely, telling the girl there is no way I will be having 6 hours worth of massages and that they should just leave the remaining balance on the card. I ask her to call her manager, who agrees to give me 2 new certificates that can be used at a later date. A common power dance that one has to deal with on a daily basis in PH.

And speaking of service, or lack there of - Imagine yourself sitting in the lobby and ordering drinks. One single shot of Black Label, one Kirin and one Corona. Hardly a complex order, right? Wrong. The waitress takes the order and walks over to the cash register. Not across the room or across the hotel, but less than 5 meters away. She stands there for 5 minutes staring into space, only to come back and ask us again what our order was. Now imagine you repeat yourself and she goes back again, and then comes back one more time only to tell you again that she has forgotten your order. Now imagine yourself calling over another waitress and asking for a pen and paper so you can do their job and write down your drink order for them, only to have another five minutes go by before you finally get your order. But wait, it gets better! One drink is missing. There is no Kirin Beer. She tells you that the Kirin beer is coming in one minute. Fair enough, you'll wait. Three minutes pass. She comes back and tells you they are out of Kirin beer. Having been chewed up and spit out by the gears of the Shang EDSA waitstaff you finally give up and order a Corona instead.

I assume that if you're reading this review, you're either looking for a good hotel in Ortigas because you are there on business and want to save a few bucks, or you just don't want to waste 45 minutes in traffic every morning going from Makati to EDSA to Ortigas. But if this review has not already changed your mind I can't stop you from making the same mistake I did, and I guess you'll just have to see it for yourself to believe it.

My advice to everyone is to stay as far as you can away from this hotel. It's not worth jeopardizing your health over a few saved bucks and whatever stress you think you're saving yourself from by staying in Ortigas and not having to drive on EDSA will surely be added tenfold by having to deal with the incompetent staff and their horrible service.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
isis629, General Manager at Edsa Shangri-La, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your concerns regarding your recent stay at Edsa Shangri-La, Manila.

Please allow me to apologize for the shortcomings in service and quality letdown, and the inconvenience caused to you during your stay with us. We take our guest comments seriously and have shared your review with our Department Heads concerned. We will ensure that remedial measures are taken and said issues are resolved to improve our processes.

You may be aware from our website and on site that we have been undergoing renovation for our entire Tower Wing. Our new set of brand new rooms and suites are outfitted with the latest technology -- flatscreen LED TVs, energy saving mood lighting, modern fixtures within a contemporary Asian inspired décor -- the first phrase of rooms will be ready and unveiled by end of this year.

We truly appreciate your feedback and our sincerest apologies for the inconvenienced caused. Please let me know if there is anything else we can do for you.

Henry Lee
Edsa Shangri-La, Manila
Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Stayed here for the first time after many stays at the Shangri-la in Makati. Good hotel with quite a few shopping centres nearby. However, not quite the same class as the other Shangri-la and I prefer Makati as a location and because it is so much closer to the airport. Had a club room and the service in the club lounge was good except that check-out was a bit tortuous (around 15 minutes even with no queue).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Checking in to Shangri-La for a couple of nights while on holiday was the best decision ever made. The interior is stunningly beautiful and elegant while the staff were so warm, welcoming, and seem genuinely happy to be there. The concierge also directed us to some local events that we wouldn't have known how to get to otherwise.

The room itself was well equipped with toiletries, mini bar items, free wi-fi, and best of all, fresh fruit every day. The pool area was inviting, clean, well-staffed, and was a lovely distraction after a big day out.

Breakfast at the Heat was also incredible, now the standard by which all breakfasts will be measured against. The selection included a wide range of standard breakfast items such as pastries, pancakes, and fruits, made to order noodles, crepes, and eggs, as well as indian, filipino, and japanese dishes.

These guys have thought of everything and know exactly how to provide an unforgettable stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Manila
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I was able to stay here a few years ago and I can honestly say that their service has tremendously improved. Check-in was quite easy and the rooms in the garden wing were very clean and the color scheme was pleasant to the eye.
I stayed with my entire family so we had connecting rooms. I liked the fact that each of our rooms had sofa beds and the room of my kids had extra bath tub toys which they really loved. The guest relations officer, Joy Reyes, made my entire family feel welcomed including my kids. She even sent up 2 tetra-packs of milk with some goodies for my babies.
I also had an event during our stay and the service I got from my head waiters, Frank and Ayer, and their team was truly commendable. Janine Cue from Events also ensured that my event took place without a hitch.
The only thing that prevented me from giving a perfect rating was their lack of parking space. My guests had difficulty with that and the valet service was no longer available. This was very disappointing since the hotel should have ensured that they have adequate parking space for guests or at least they could have provided an alternative.
Overall, it was still a good stay for my family. My kids loved the pool and we loved the food, as always.

Room Tip: Get garden wing rooms since the tower wing rooms are still being renovated. Renovation will end by D...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Mandaluyong, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Edsa Shangri-la Manila is one of the better hotels in the Philippine capital and largest metropolis, offering value for money in terms of service, facilities and product choices.

Rooms are very clean and well-appointed, with each one giving good views of the Ortigas Business Districts (although rooms facing the Greenhills/Wack Wack Mandaluyong area is recommended because at least you see more trees and spaces, not just neighboring buildings).

The lobby is spacious as well. Typical of the Shangri-La brand, you will be greeted by a lush garden at the foreground of the lobby coffee shop.

It is also a paradise for foodies. Superb restos, wide array of choices, such as Senju for Japanese food, Summer Palace for Chinese. For more and mixed options, Heat Restaurant is for you. Personally loved Heat because of the choices. Another favorite for my company meetings is the lobby coffee shop--serves the best coffee and cookies in town!

The convenience and being beside world-class malls (Shangri-La Mall and SM Megamall) and within a vibrant central business district is a plus for those who love shopping and those with transactions in any of the multinational located in the area.

Hotel staff are genuinely friendly and efficient. Always smling :)

Best all of all, you get of these for competitive rates: for as low at P6,000+++ (local resident ratre)!

What Idont like about it lately is that the owners of the Shangri-La complex decided to erect a building beside it, demolishing a parking lot dotted with trees and distracting portions of the Wack Wack view. Also the complex itself feels so crowded.

In all, Edsa Shangri-La Manila is a smart choice for a seasoned traveller. You get world-class service and amenities for competitive rates.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Edsa Shangri-La? Share your experiences!