“Its a nice hotel.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Durban

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Makati
Hotel Durban
You added Hotel Durban to your Saves list
4875 Durban Street, Makati, Luzon, Philippines (Formerly Durban Street Inn)   |
Ranked #9 of 67 Hotels in Makati
“Its a nice hotel.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights. Staff are accomodating. The only problem with this hotel is its hard to find and the rooms are a bit small, bed is really comfortable overall its a good hotel. Good for the budget. ;)

• Stayed July 2013
hoteldurban, General Manager at Hotel Durban, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Many thanks to Shehazadi133 for the review. We’re happy that she found our accommodations comfortable and that she had a restful stay with us. Like any hotel, Hotel Durban has several types of rooms from which to choose, depending upon your needs and budget. They range from our Pullmans – single bed/single occupancy rooms – to our top-of-the-line Deluxe Superior Suite, which is around 30 m2 (323 ft2) and has a four-seater sectional sofa, coffee table, and armchair in its separate and generous sitting area. Our suites, all of which have sofas and coffee tables, are very popular and book up quickly. Due to the hotel’s unique floor plan, our rooms are individually decorated – which also means that rooms in a particular class will inevitably, however slightly, vary in size and layout. Please visit our website for more information on room sizes and rates. (A direct link is provided at the top of our TrippAdvisor listing.)

Hotel Durban is located at 4875 Durban Street. A printable map is provided on our website as well as on our TripAdvisor page. Should you need additional directions, please contact our front desk, and they will gladly help out in any way. We also offer a private car service from the airport, for a fee. We look forward to welcoming you to Makati’s highest-rated boutique hotel that delivers an unsurpassed value. In the meantime, safe travels.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Korean first
Hollister, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

My planned place to stay didn't work out and I was stuck but I'm so glad I found Hotel Durban. First, it is in a great location just a few blocks north of the Makati shopping area. There are restaurants everywhere, too.
The place is very nice. It looks like an art museum and you get to see a lot of it because there is no elevator and the stairs are really open and they don't zig zag straight up. The rooms are great with dark wood headboards and flatscreen tv.
I had spent most of my time in the Philippines in 250 peso rooms with bathrooms down the hall and providing my own toilet paper, soap, and towels. So, to spend 1500 pesos for one night was quite a shock to my budget sensibilities...but then when I think what I'm spending in US$ ($35ish) and what I'll have to spend when I get back stateside for a similar room, I'm blown away by this incredible deal.
If you are in Manila, I highly recommend this hotel. If I ever return to the Philippines, this will be my go-to hotel for my arrival day and my day prior to departure.

Room Tip: I just took what they got and it was a great room. Keep in mind that there is no elevator so if you...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
hoteldurban, General Manager at Hotel Durban, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Many thanks to Amy A and the serendipity of finding us when her original booking at another hotel fell through. We're gratified she enjoyed her stay with us, our superb location. We're also glad she took note of - and was charmed by - the substantial changes we're making in the artwork displayed in the hotel's public spaces.

Hotel Durban has long had deep connections to art and design. Our founder was the first female furniture designer and interior decorator of note in the Philippines, in the late 1950s. Some of her pieces, as well as antiques and art from her personal collection, continue to be a part of the hotel's public furnishings.

As part of our efforts to modernize the "feel" of the hotel, however, we've necessarily had to look to contemporary artists and artisans for guidance. In the coming months, guests will see the artwork throughout the hotel give way to more current pieces, including framed silk scarves from Hermès. Aside from having redone our lobby, we've also begun a long-awaited update of our façade and terrace to further harmonize the hotel's exterior with its more modern interior.

A few more critical changes are forthcoming, but not all of them will be immediately visible. (For example, we're outfitting the entire hotel with a fire sprinkler system, addressable smoke detectors, and double-glazed windows for our exterior-facing rooms.)

We'd like to thank Amy A again for her thoughtful review. We hope her travels take her to the Philippines again, and when she does, we hope to welcome her a second time. In the meantime, come try us out, and see why Hotel Durban is the highest-rated value-oriented hotel in Makati, according to TripAdvisor and the No. 5 hotel in the city. Safe travels.
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

What else can I say, a warm welcome from the staff upon entering, nice-cozy-clean-comfortable-spacious room, great food at an affordable price. What i really love the most is how the staffs would treat their guest, always greeting you, asking how you're doing and the likes. Well, i already booked for my next trip in August & I can't wait to see those smiles again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

The place to be when you're in Makati for whatever purpose may it be for business or leisure. The price for a night is affordable and the rooms are spacious. Hotel staff are friendly & accomodating. Hotel Durban offers great service and serves good quality of food to order. It's no hustle to commute coz the location is near the central business district of Makati City and within it's vicinity lots of good restuarants to dine.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Makati, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Unexpectedly AMAZED...SUPERB!
What I was expecting did not happen.. Checked in yesterday around 3pm then the Hotel Staff are very professional (better than some other hotels w/c they claim they are 3-5star) POLITE, very well-oriented, Helpful and always have a BIG SMILE.
The FOOD in they're lobby restaurant is very good. The Club sandwich, juice and coffee.
FOOD are well presented.
The ROOM I had was really CLEAN and looks new. Doesn't looked like over-used (ROOM109)
The Hotel facilities are clean.
I was happy to stay in DURBAN and surely I will come back again.
Seriously, Another MAKATI CITY Pride and a GEM in Makati City.
The reception Ms.Michelle was helpful and all the Hotel Staff 7-6-13 3pm (time of duty) are very accommodating and professional.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Hanoi, Vietnam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

This is a sparkling clean hotel with helpful staff in a very convenient location. Rooms don't come with a lot of amenities, but the bed was super-comfortable, shower was nice and everything in the room worked properly. The staff did everything possible to make our time here perfect - really 5-star staff! Most have them have apparently worked at this hotel for years, which tells us that this hotel has been well-managed - and certainly, well cared-for, too. I'm picky about cleanliness, and it was clean enough for me!

The restaurant in the lobby serves a very nice breakfast and a truly bottomless cup of coffee. Unlike some places that really don't want to give refills, staff here checks on you every few minutes to see whether you want some more - always with a smile.

The location is very convenient. it's almost across the street from the A.Venue night market and a 20-minute walk to the Greenbelt area.

We asked the staff to call us a taxi for the airport, and when it arrived, they made sure that we were getting into a metered cab with a good driver. they even insisted on loading our luggage into the cab, though we easily could have done it ourselves. We had been told to expect a taxi fare of around 250 to 300 pesos, and we ended up owing the driver a mere 155 pesos - and this was during rush hour! Awesome...

It's a non-smoking hotel but they have a nice area out front where you can smoke if you want to, with couches, chairs and tables available to relax.

Next time we come to Makati, we'll keep our fingers crossed that they have a vacancy for us. It books up every night, so having reservations is essential.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

I stayed on this hotel June 24-28. As early as June 5, i already made reservation thru their website, a business suite that i will use on June 26-28 with my mother. We exchange several emails regarding my preferred floor and rooms. Their replies are quick and im really impress how accomodating they were. Something came up though that i have to come to Manila earlier than plan so i texted them if its possible for them to give any room between 24-26 and they said there is a deluxe room i can use. I specifically told them i will still use the reservation i made,its just that i was early so i'll take whatever room available for the meantime. When i arrive, the room is ready. The deluxe room,310, is tiny than what i expected but for 1650 i got no complains. The room is quite noisy as you hear the footstep from the upper floor. The real problem is at 1 in the morning i wake up with the aircon leaking. I called the reception and they send a guard to look at it. It takes 20 minutes with him coming and going out of my room for me to decide i need another room as it is impossible for me to sleep again with the sound of droplets of water in the pail they produce to stop the flooding. I was transfer to first floor maybe around 2am. It is still a deluxe room,same price but bigger with table and chair. Still noisy as you can hear everyone who enter the glass door of the hotel yet tolerable. I just keep the tv on to distract me. What upset me is on 26 im ready to transfer at my reserve business suite room (as my mother arrive at this time) its unavailable. For whatever reason they fail to inform me about it. They offer to give us two rooms,one pullman and one deluxe to compensate for the incovenience with the same price of business suite. The pullman room is okay,deluxe they gave me this time is a lot smaller than the first two i had. I dont have bed cover and they said it wont be available until 7pm as there is no delivery of cover yet. (huh?!) The room is noisy more than ever. I cant sleep with the noise from the kitchen and glass door from the cafe. Not to mention a motor of water or machine that keeps running at midnight. I had to call the reception to make it stop. Thankfully they listen and turn it off. Disappointed because reviews are good but the service really sucks. The staff are courteous, dont get me wrong but not competent enough to do their jobs

• Stayed June 2013
hoteldurban, General Manager at Hotel Durban, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
We’d like to thank the reviewer, louellajune, for staying at Hotel Durban on several occasions – not just her most recent one, which concerns her current review. We are deeply sorry for the series of inconveniences she encountered. The reviewer stayed with us from June 24-28, but her reservation for a Business Suite was only for the last two days of that period, June 26-28.

On the first night of the reviewer’s stay, the air-conditioning unit in her room unexpectedly sprung a slight leak at 1AM. Our regular maintenance crew was not on duty to service the unit immediately, so one of our night porters, who has some training in maintenance, was able to minimize the leak, however; a small bucket was also placed to catch the remaining droplets until a more permanent fix could be implemented the following morning. (It was discovered that the AC unit had a faulty pump, which we immediately replaced. The room in question has received no subsequent complaints.) As the reviewer found this temporary solution unsatisfactory, she requested to be transferred to another room at 2AM. She was then moved to a larger, Superior Deluxe room on the ground floor.

On the morning of the 26th, when the reviewer was expecting to be moved to her reserved Business Suite, the guest occupying that room refused to vacate despite being informed by our front desk staff the previous day that the room was already committed. Our protocols dictate that in such cases we absolutely protect guests who have a prior commitment to a room. Our front desk should have transferred the guest whose reservation had expired and prepared the room for reviewer’s reservation. Our front desk further erred in that once we became aware of the situation we should have informed the reviewer immediately – at around 9AM – and not when the reviewer herself approached the front desk to inquire about her reservation at 11AM. We apologize for this lapse in protocol. Our front desk staff and relevant supervisors have since reviewed our best practices; this issue should not recur.

To help ameliorate the situation, our Front Desk Supervisor visited the reviewer personally and apologized for the situation. He offered her an extra mattress free of charge, so that she and her mother, who was due to arrive, could at least be in the same room, but the reviewer declined that offer. The supervisor then departed from house protocols and offered the guest two adjacent rooms for the price of a Business Suite, or about a P1000.00 savings, which the reviewer accepted. The reviewer was given a Pullman (our single room) and a Junior Deluxe, which is little smaller than the room in which she was then currently staying. The reviewer could have stayed in the room where she was, on the same floor as her mother, or chosen another Superior Deluxe room elsewhere in the hotel, but at the time there were none that would have had her mother’s quarters directly adjacent, which is what the reviewer wanted.

When the reviewer took possession of her new room at about 2PM, there was, unfortunately, no duvet on her bed. While the hotel keeps adequate stocks and replacements of all items in use, such as duvets, we outsource our laundry operations, which can, on the rare occasion, lead to unavoidable delivery delays. Our records show that our Housekeeping Supervisor spoke with the reviewer herself, explained the situation, and said that the new duvet would arrive between 3 and 4PM. The reviewer replied that it was not a problem and to just make the bed as she and her mother would be out of the room for the rest of the afternoon. The laundry arrived at 3:15, and the new duvet was promptly replaced. (Our Housekeeping Supervisor, who mentioned that she would be on duty until 7PM in case of any problems, also offered to transfer the duvet the reviewer used the previous night, but the reviewer found this solution unsatisfactory.)

The room in which the reviewer finally stayed abuts the employee washroom and shares the corridor connecting the kitchen to café. Based on her noise complaint about a running motor, our night porter – the same one who tended to the AC leak in her original room – discovered that it was the sound of the faucet from the employee washroom whenever it was used. The washroom was promptly shut for the rest of the night so the reviewer would no longer be disturbed. (After consulting with our maintenance team, we found we could eliminate the sound by reducing the sink's water pressure to a quieter, more gentle level.)

We apologize for the inconveniences the reviewer encountered. We tried our best to deal with her issues as soon as our staff became aware of them and feel that we addressed them as best we could at the time. However, we are glad that louellajune has been a repeat customer of the hotel for some time now, and we hope she will stay with us again on her next visit to Makati. We’d like to thank louellajune again for taking the time to review us. Come see for yourself why Hotel Durban is ranked Number One for hotels that give the best value, according to TripAdvisor’s users. In the meantime, safe travels.

Been to Hotel Durban? Share your experiences!