“Family Oriented Hotel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Durban

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Makati
Hotel Durban
4875 Durban Street, Makati, Luzon, Philippines (Formerly Durban Street Inn)   |
Special Price
RAINY SEASON DISCOUNT
Ranked #7 of 64 hotels in Makati
Ottawa, Canada
“Family Oriented Hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Love this place. The staff are very friendly. Honest.
The rooms are simple and clean. Love it!
The moment you walk in to this place , they greet you with smile.They are very appreciative.
Very affordable place. i will rather stay here , than in 5 star hotel.

Room Tip: Love the fourth floor.Quite!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

152 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Cagliari, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Price very good, the whole place is very clean and the staff embarrassingly kind as in Philippines customer service style.
The hotel is not very big but a particular care has been devoted to the design and the decoration of the interior which I found very cosy and welcoming. The location is very good and I think for that price the Durban is the best choice in the area. I am thinking about something that disappointed me during my three days stay at the hotel but, honestly, I can't recollect any disappointing memory. The day I left, I checked out at 12, but my plane was late at 0100 during the night, the manager keep my luggage there the whole day while I was around in town before to get to the airport. They allowed me to change clothes for no charge and that made a difference considering how hot was in Manila and how long was my trip back to Europe. Only suprising detail, they do not take credi car of any sort. ONLY CASH. so make sure to get to the reception with some cash ready to pay at least for the first night.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
ph
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

My husband and i stayed at Hotel Durban last May 7 till 9 2013. We booked an Economy room. The price on that day was only 1,400 P. Nevertheless, our room was spotless white so clean from the wooden floor to the sheets, Everything smells clean. The location is very easy to locate. 24 hours restaurants like Pizza hut, North Park and 7 11 are just a walking distance. The only downside is the parking. The front parking can only accommodate to 2 cars and also the price of their coffee 3 in 1 is 150 pesos. June 1 we came back and the rate for an economy room increased from 1400 to 1600 per night. Definitely will recommend Hotel Durban to my friends and also definitely will come back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
hoteldurban, General Manager at Hotel Durban, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
We'd like to thank xtin c for her wonderful review. We're so glad she enjoyed her stay with us.

From the review, it is difficult for us to say exactly what was the cause of the discrepancy in the room rate. We have been undergoing extensive renovations the past two months, and it is likely there was a small price increase between the reviewer's first and second stays - or the reviewer stayed in two different types of rooms. Whatever the case, we would like to take this opportunity to state our prices. We have four classes of rooms: Pullmans sell for P1350; Economy rooms sell for P1450; Deluxe rooms start at P1650, and Suites start at P1850. All our rooms, regardless of class, have the same modern and comfortable design, and the quoted rates include all taxes and service charges.

As the reviewer pointed out, we are ideally located, just a stone's throw from a diverse and plentiful selections of restaurants. Should a guest choose to dine at the hotel, however, our café offers a full menu that includes submarine sandwiches, pastas, and burgers, now with many options for vegetarians. We also have amazing beverages, carefully chosen to please our guests: fresh fruit shakes, frappés, and coffees. We offer individually ground-to-order americano, cappuccino, espresso, and coffee drinks starting at P60 using 100% Arabica imported from Colombia. Our bottomless drip coffee is priced at a bargain P100 using a 100% Arabica with beans from Ethiopia, El Salvador, and Sumatra. (We do not offer 3-in-1coffee, which is a local type of instant coffee with sugar and creamer.)

We'd like to thank xtin c again for the thoughtful review; we eagerly look forward to their next visit with us. In the meantime, safe travels.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

I had stayed in this hotel for 7days. And all honestly this place is great. The room I had chosen is the deluxe room w/ queen size bed. The room is cleaned daily, towels are change daily as well, bed sheets are change I believe every other day.The bedroom was good size for two, theres a small ref, great working condition, also an AC also in great condition, and good size TV with plenty of channels to choose from. The room itself is very modern at lot of extra storage, and outlets to charged our gadgets. On top of that the room has free WIFI, so no need to go down in the lobby unlike most hotels who consider themselves a five star.

The staff a really helpful and always always greats you with a smile, specially the front desk. when I was making my reservation it went so smoothly. I emailed the hotel about making the reservation for 7days and within an hour I receive a confirmation about my stay. This was overall great experience.

I would recommend this place to anyone who is in Makati who's looking for a great place to stay in, on a budget or not. Also the hotel is walking distance to Shakeys, Jollibee, Mcdo, 7-11 etc. and other local restaurants. Also not to far away from shopping centers such as Greenbelt Landmark and SM.

Thanks Hotel Durban for great experience, I will see you again next year.

• Stayed May 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

Location is on the outskirts of the red light district. But I must say for the immediate area it's the best place I stayed in that didn't have people running all over the place. There is no elevator. That's ok! Other hotels in the area have elevators but full of bar girls and old guys trying to scurry to their rooms. This place is nice. And its a pleasant walk to the toom. The decor is nice and honestly pay the extra for the executive as the standard room is a bit small. What I don't like is they had me sign an iPad? When I Cheked in, she also put my I'd somewhere for a second until I asked for it back. And it was given back with no problem. I just hope that they delete my information from that thing in the event it's stolen or lost.... Other than that it's ok. Rooms are "reasonably priced" and above the cheap Charlie prices so you don't get too many scumbags. :-)

• Stayed May 2013
hoteldurban, General Manager at Hotel Durban, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
We'd like to thank paulinasia for his review and are glad he enjoyed his stay with us. We are happy he appreciated the constant work we do to keep the place spotless and family- and business-friendly. Part of that work entails streamlining our processes where possible and necessary. For example, we use an iPad to help expedite our check-in process and maintain records efficiently and securely. Our café's cashier is also iPad-driven, and we work in the latest all-Mac environment to ensure maximum connectivity between our different departments.

All our computer systems are monitored by CCTV cameras 24/7, and our iPads are secured and locked with a code to prevent unauthorized access. Although we cannot discuss it publicly, all our guests can rest assured that we have multiple layers of security measures in place to secure our hardware and, most importantly, our data.

Like all hotels, we check IDs as part of our security protocols. While we scan guest identification for security and reference during their stay, those scans are deleted from our hard drive once the guest checks out. The only information we retain are the room and dining preferences of the guest in anticipation of a future visit.

We'd like to thank paulinasia again for taking the time to review our hotel, and we look forward to his next visit. In the meantime, safe travels.
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

I was a solo woman travelling alone, so staying in the red light district of Makati was not on my to do list. I've never stayed in a budget hotel in Manila before and to be honest, I had nightmares of roaches, perverts and creepy hotel staff. My family and I usually stay at New World Makati or BSA Tower. However, upon arriving at Hotel Durban, not only I was relieved, but suprised.

I'm not naive by any means, so I know that in the P. Burgos area, sometimes people like to bring overnight guests. While I was being checked in, I saw a few families and couples walk past. In such an area, I was expecting (and let's be frank here) old perverts with young girls in tow. Especially as a Filipina, I wanted to avoid this completely so I was happy to note, that the older lady sitting behind the receptionists at the desk, discretely instruct the hotel staff to inform this gentleman with a young woman (a GRO) beside him, that no rooms were available. So, the management discretely work to make this hotel a safe and wholesome place. I've been accosted by men at Phuket, and have been asked 'How much?' so this was a great reassurance.

The rooms are spotless, clean and critter-free. The rooms do not smell at all and are airy and spacious. The TV is a flat screen and fully equipped with satellite service.

The staff are fabulous and display consistent 5 star service. They were always cheerful and ready to help me with getting flagging a reputable cab driver (especially to the airport as they may or may not rip you off) and with my luggage as there are no lifts!

It's a safe and inviting hotel and I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Many thanks to bambinawhat for her kind review. We are thrilled that she was pleasantly surprised by our little hotel. As the reviewer noted, we work hard to keep our hotel clean, safe, and reputable. We've stated elsewhere in these responses that we make sure to check government-issued IDs and do not admit known prostitutes. In addition to our own 24-hour armed security, we work closely with local law enforcement to ensure a safe and secure environment for our staff and guests. We thank bambinawhat again for her review and look forward to her next visit. In the meantime, safe travels.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

I have been a guest of this place, I called home for the last 10 years or so. Every time I visit Manila, this is my home away from home. The staff have stayed employed so they're the same familiar faces. It only means something, good management means no employee turnover. Nice friendly staff like Jess, Dexter, Ana, Norie, Jayvee, Ed, Shiela, Chito and more... It is so personalized the owner normally is in the vicinity everyday to see day to day operation. I am a unit owner in one of the condo hotels here in Makati and I still choose to stay in Durban. When I say "Clean" it's clean, I have to mention this, I have not seen a single cockroach in this place. Unlike some major 3/4 star hotels. Motiff is all white and brown, white means clean, squeaky clean. I couldn't wait to go home @ night to crisp new linen and a pleasant smelling room. Taste, Decor and interior has simple lines, minimal and impeccable.
I sincerely apologized for keeping this place one of my "Best Secret Hideaway" which I enjoyed for the longest time. I was selfish, what can I say? It is no longer a secret being in the top ten, I highly recommend this place. Shhhhhn! But do me a favor, can we just keep it among ourselves...
Review of Durban Cafe and Chef Jay Joson coming....
Reviewed by: Ed Africano Aka(Diegong Tabak)

Room Tip: 2nd floor is better choice. My room is on the 1st floor near the lobby for accessibility and conveni...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Durban? Share your experiences!