“Clean hotel! friendly staff despite location ...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Durban

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Makati
Hotel Durban
Save Saved
You added Hotel Durban to your Saves list
4875 Durban Street, Makati, Luzon, Philippines (Formerly Durban Street Inn)   |
Special Price
RAINY SEASON DISCOUNT
Ranked #7 of 66 hotels in Makati
“Clean hotel! friendly staff despite location ...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

Location is on the outskirts of the red light district. But I must say for the immediate area it's the best place I stayed in that didn't have people running all over the place. There is no elevator. That's ok! Other hotels in the area have elevators but full of bar girls and old guys trying to scurry to their rooms. This place is nice. And its a pleasant walk to the toom. The decor is nice and honestly pay the extra for the executive as the standard room is a bit small. What I don't like is they had me sign an iPad? When I Cheked in, she also put my I'd somewhere for a second until I asked for it back. And it was given back with no problem. I just hope that they delete my information from that thing in the event it's stolen or lost.... Other than that it's ok. Rooms are "reasonably priced" and above the cheap Charlie prices so you don't get too many scumbags. :-)

• Stayed May 2013
hoteldurban, General Manager at Hotel Durban, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
We'd like to thank paulinasia for his review and are glad he enjoyed his stay with us. We are happy he appreciated the constant work we do to keep the place spotless and family- and business-friendly. Part of that work entails streamlining our processes where possible and necessary. For example, we use an iPad to help expedite our check-in process and maintain records efficiently and securely. Our café's cashier is also iPad-driven, and we work in the latest all-Mac environment to ensure maximum connectivity between our different departments.

All our computer systems are monitored by CCTV cameras 24/7, and our iPads are secured and locked with a code to prevent unauthorized access. Although we cannot discuss it publicly, all our guests can rest assured that we have multiple layers of security measures in place to secure our hardware and, most importantly, our data.

Like all hotels, we check IDs as part of our security protocols. While we scan guest identification for security and reference during their stay, those scans are deleted from our hard drive once the guest checks out. The only information we retain are the room and dining preferences of the guest in anticipation of a future visit.

We'd like to thank paulinasia again for taking the time to review our hotel, and we look forward to his next visit. In the meantime, safe travels.

154 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

I was a solo woman travelling alone, so staying in the red light district of Makati was not on my to do list. I've never stayed in a budget hotel in Manila before and to be honest, I had nightmares of roaches, perverts and creepy hotel staff. My family and I usually stay at New World Makati or BSA Tower. However, upon arriving at Hotel Durban, not only I was relieved, but suprised.

I'm not naive by any means, so I know that in the P. Burgos area, sometimes people like to bring overnight guests. While I was being checked in, I saw a few families and couples walk past. In such an area, I was expecting (and let's be frank here) old perverts with young girls in tow. Especially as a Filipina, I wanted to avoid this completely so I was happy to note, that the older lady sitting behind the receptionists at the desk, discretely instruct the hotel staff to inform this gentleman with a young woman (a GRO) beside him, that no rooms were available. So, the management discretely work to make this hotel a safe and wholesome place. I've been accosted by men at Phuket, and have been asked 'How much?' so this was a great reassurance.

The rooms are spotless, clean and critter-free. The rooms do not smell at all and are airy and spacious. The TV is a flat screen and fully equipped with satellite service.

The staff are fabulous and display consistent 5 star service. They were always cheerful and ready to help me with getting flagging a reputable cab driver (especially to the airport as they may or may not rip you off) and with my luggage as there are no lifts!

It's a safe and inviting hotel and I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Many thanks to bambinawhat for her kind review. We are thrilled that she was pleasantly surprised by our little hotel. As the reviewer noted, we work hard to keep our hotel clean, safe, and reputable. We've stated elsewhere in these responses that we make sure to check government-issued IDs and do not admit known prostitutes. In addition to our own 24-hour armed security, we work closely with local law enforcement to ensure a safe and secure environment for our staff and guests. We thank bambinawhat again for her review and look forward to her next visit. In the meantime, safe travels.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

I have been a guest of this place, I called home for the last 10 years or so. Every time I visit Manila, this is my home away from home. The staff have stayed employed so they're the same familiar faces. It only means something, good management means no employee turnover. Nice friendly staff like Jess, Dexter, Ana, Norie, Jayvee, Ed, Shiela, Chito and more... It is so personalized the owner normally is in the vicinity everyday to see day to day operation. I am a unit owner in one of the condo hotels here in Makati and I still choose to stay in Durban. When I say "Clean" it's clean, I have to mention this, I have not seen a single cockroach in this place. Unlike some major 3/4 star hotels. Motiff is all white and brown, white means clean, squeaky clean. I couldn't wait to go home @ night to crisp new linen and a pleasant smelling room. Taste, Decor and interior has simple lines, minimal and impeccable.
I sincerely apologized for keeping this place one of my "Best Secret Hideaway" which I enjoyed for the longest time. I was selfish, what can I say? It is no longer a secret being in the top ten, I highly recommend this place. Shhhhhn! But do me a favor, can we just keep it among ourselves...
Review of Durban Cafe and Chef Jay Joson coming....
Reviewed by: Ed Africano Aka(Diegong Tabak)

Room Tip: 2nd floor is better choice. My room is on the 1st floor near the lobby for accessibility and conveni...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dubai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

If you aren't looking for this place, there's a very good chance you won't find it. Amidst a sea of 100+-room hotels, Hotel Durban is a surprisingly competitive, value-for-money hotel. Having made it a part of my holiday accommodation, I decided to extended my stay for a couple days at a time. During this period I hopped 3 different rooms.

The hotel has a small coffee-shop that doesn't have a menu to die for. You can make do with a cup of coffee/tea and perhaps breakfast just one odd day but you'll be wiser to plan your meals as far as 'where to eat?' is concerned. As a vegetarian, I found myself 'quite stuck' to their cheese sub. It wasn't bad but it doesn't quite fill one up - especially someone who has an appetite for good lunch/dinner.

As far as food is concerned, one will never have a problem when staying in Hotel Durban. One will be spoilt for choice with the number of fastfood joints, restaurants and bars. For people weighing their options based on availability of Indian food or even vegetarian food options - look no further. Zero in on Hotel Durban and lock the deal. There's Ziggurat (a Persian food joint) just a stone's throw away from the hotel. One can find some Indian food (amongst others) at Heckle & Jeckle about 2 streets down from the hotel although it is predominantly a bar. Queens and Legend of India are 2 restaurants just a 3-5 min walk from the hotel.

The hotel is also very conveniently located - close proximity to Greenbelt, Glorietta, SM Makati, Rockwell Power Plant Mall and many more such malls. The fact that it is in Makati makes it an ideal choice for people looking to go shop at Mall of Asia and then to the other spectrum (also the other side of the city) at SM Megamall, Shangri-La mall or even at Green hills (where you get to bargain for a good bit of your shopping). 7-elevens and mini-stops have peppered the entire block so one needn't worry about wanting to pick up emergency toiletries or even pre-paid phone recharge cards.

What the hotel lacks in end-to-end services, it makes up for it in its charm and warmth. The staff almost always has a smile and are very pleasant and kind. That is, to me, the best part of the stay. The hotel itself is undergoing renovation so it is inconvenient for some at times and quite ok other times. In spite of being in the city's adult entertainment district/vicinity, Hotel Durban's standards ensure that safety is maintained and it carries its 'good for the family' banner.

I'll certainly recommend Hotel Durban (and probably more so after all the renovation is complete) but only if people are looking at value for money. The place is definitely more peaceful that a bunch of other hotels one might consider as an alternative. Wifi comes free, there's a safety locker at the reception for people looking to secure valuable. Breakfast, lunch or dinner is not a part of the room cost but the taxes are included. It was fun staying there.

There's scope for improvement but I'm sure it will be taken care of with time.

Room Tip: Standard/Deluxe Rooms at the ground level are small and feel like a matchbox. Some have no windows s...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Dumaguete City, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

Hotel Durban was may primary choice of place to stay during my most recent (May 2013) trip to Makati from the province. Unfortunately, they were fully booked so I stayed at the hotel across the street temporarily until a vacant room is available. I left my number and they did call me.
I stayed for one week at Hotel Durban, I was able to try two different rooms. The rooms are clean and the beds are comfy enough. The toilets are also very clean, although I had a little problem with the shower, it only has one knob so there is no way to regulate the hot water temperature. Sometimes the water can get a little too hot. I also would have loved if they had cabinets in the bathroom sink or mirror with cabinets at least more space to place my toiletries. Other than that it was all good.
There are rooms that are located near the stairs that can get a little noisy anytime because of some inconsiderate guests who would talk loudly on their way to their respective rooms or walk heavily. Perhaps a sign would help.
All these, didn't really matter as the hotel staff are very accommodating. They are very friendly and are always willing to serve you.
The place offers comfort at affordable rates. What else can you ask for?
I'm definitely going to stay at Hotel Durban next time I need a place in Makati.

Rico T.

• Stayed May 2013
siargao
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Durban Hotel has recently undergone a renevation, i stayed there both before and after, now the beer costs P70 insted of P40 :-( but for the price, around 1200 for standard room it still is one of the best deals around this part of town. Rooms are clean but small, i reccomend the suite P1700 if you are two persons. Staff is ok, dont really do more then absolutely neccessary but that is fine, in this part of town you want to be left alone anyway. Location is just off P. Burgos st, makati red light district, here lots of fun can be had. Just watch out for the street girls that for sure will approach you with offfers of massage and more.

Room Tip: if you have some more cash just choose the suite, spacious and nice. Book in advance since this plac...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Bay Area, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

I've been staying here for almost 10 years now. I stayed there when the entrance is a stairs on the side of the building. I would like to congratulate them for improving the entire complex including all of their amenities, even the wifi signals on all floors.All with a home feeling.

Public transportation is so easy whether a cab or a jeepney in front of 7-11. Location + price + amenities = PERFECT!!!

I stayed here with my GF, my family and solo.

Room Tip: Cellphone signal is low in lower floors. Try the fourth floor. It's a climb, but it's all wo...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Durban? Share your experiences!