“Excellent!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Durban

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Makati
Hotel Durban
Save Saved
You added Hotel Durban to your Saves list
4875 Durban Street, Makati, Luzon, Philippines (Formerly Durban Street Inn)   |
Ranked #7 of 65 Hotels in Makati
London
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

I recently stayed in the hotel for about 2 weeks and it was the best decision I ever made! The price was very cheap compared to the other hotels in the area. Also the position was great as it was close to a lot of food outlets aswell as a short taxi ride to Greenbelt and other malls.

The hotel room is kind of small but is clean and bright. The bed is comfortable and the room has a large flat screen tv when you want to relax. Also it was very quiet but I made sure my room wasn't facing the main road which I'm sure would have been more noisy. The bathroom is also very clean and bright with a huge mirror and a power shower. Again not very big but there's really no need for too much space when there's so much to explore in Manila, not your hotel room! There's a wardrobe to store your clothes in and a desk with desktop lamp. None of the rooms are smoking but you can sit outside where they have a bench and tables for you to chill, have a cup of tea and smoke. There's also a small newsagents where they sell coffee, tea, smokes and snacks etc. Everything extremely convenient.

What really made this hotel stand out is the staff. I have stayed in a few more expensive hotels in the area and the level of service doesn't come close to what I experienced. The maids clean every day leaving my room spotless with fresh towels. The receptionist is always happy to help with any problems as well as the porters. I want to say a special thanks to Al and Jay who made my stay extremely pleasent! Even when asking for a taxi they will go down to the end of the road just to hunt one down for you! I have never been more pleasently surprised with such a high level of service at such low prices. When I requested a change of rooms (purely due to my own laziness) it was done as soon as a room was available with the porter carrying all my stuff to the new room with a big smile on his face!

I would say the only negative point of the hotel is that it doesn't have a lift. If you are staying on the 3rd floor it can be a little grating to walk up the stairs!

Otherwise this has been the best hotel to stay in for it's price range and I would definitely say it is better than the more expensive hotels in the area. I will certainly be booking a room in this hotel again when I next visit Manila. Thank you to all the staff at Hotel Durban for making it the most enjoyable stay I have ever had in Makati Manila.

Room Tip: There are rooms on the ground floor which saves on walking the stairs. They are quiet but sometimes...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Korean first
q.c.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

We're at home in durban,it's clean, simple, our things are safe whenever we leave it. and when we come back our room is very clean already. staff are nice. and also the price is just right. but i would also like to ask durban if they still have the 1,300peso rate????? i might book again this august 28,2011, so i hope durban can read this. Me and my fiance would love to stay there again.acknowledgement will be appreciated.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

I have stayed there many times, and I guess it´s the best value for money in Makati, travelling on a budget. You are close to everything, making this hotel a favorite among travellers. Bear in mind that it is only basic, small, but convenient, clean, and with a hospitable staff.
If you don´t like the red light district, jump on a jeepney and in five minutes you are in the heart of the shopping district instead, with access to some of the most popular bars, clubs, shops and restaurants in Manila.

Room Tip: Book in advance. They will reply your mail......
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2011

i was there in sept 2010 iand i had the time of my life there it a great hotel very clean and friedly people in the lobby and they always there for you.

klaas

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Bangkok, Thailand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2011

To make a long story short... I had a dangerous encounter with an exposed wire protruding from the power cord of the lamp in my room. After calling the manager-on-duty to come to my room (which he didn't really want to do at first), and showing him the problem - then asking for a discount on my room, he just said, "If you don't like the room, you can go somewhere else. I'll give you a refund." Never once did he say, "Oh, I'm sorry you almost got electrocuted." or anything remotely resembling an apology.

I did take the refund and did find another place (at 7pm), then went back the next morning to talk to the administrator. After listening (with obvious disinterest) to my story about the manager she has on staff who cares nothing (or perhaps knows nothing) about customer service/satisfaction, she finally said, "I think I would have told you the same thing."

So, if that's their idea of how to turn an unhappy customer into a (somewhat) satisfied one, then they are not interested in having repeat business, or word-of-mouth advertising. In my opinion, all travelers should avoid this place like the plague!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
hoteldurban, Owner at Hotel Durban, responded to this review, July 11, 2011
We would like to apologize to the reviewer, ChillinTexan, for his unfortunate experience at our hotel. We work very hard to provide our guests a pleasant stay, and we are disappointed in ourselves when we miss the mark. We would also like to take a moment to address the reviewer’s two concerns: an exposed wire and how we dealt with his complaint.

Firstly, there is no excuse for an exposed wire. The risk to the health and safety of guests is too great. We are thankful the reviewer wasn’t injured and that he promptly reported the situation to hotel staff. We have always maintained what we thought was a detailed inspection regimen for the rooms. Clearly there was a lapse. We have since undertaken a careful, room-by-room electrical investigation to make sure there are no other exposed wires, or any other electrical risks and revised the room-inspection procedure, which now includes, checklists that are cross-checked by a supervisor. The situation will not occur again. We have always sought to maintain our hotel at the highest possible levels and will continue to do so.

Secondly, the author was displeased with our response to his complaint. The staff member attending to the reviewer’s concerns at that time should have offered an apology right off; that he did not is a clear misstep. Our staff has since undergone full customer service training in English, which will be repeated every six months. (However, we would ask our guests to keep in mind that while our staff’s English is always functional, it may not always be fully fluent. We ask, then, for a little patience.)

On the rare occasion when a guest has a problem with one of our rooms, our procedure is to attempt to fix the problem immediately by offering a room change if one is available. In the event the guest is still dissatisfied, we gladly offer a full refund of the room rate and help the guest find alternate lodging. This has long been and will continue to be our policy.

Our room rates range from US$ 29.00-42.00 per night, the best value for service and location in the area – bar none. Our rates are not merely low for the neighborhood, they are low given our staff levels, our location, and the services and value we offer. Because of this value, we cannot afford to offer discounts, even where a guest is rightfully displeased. We would rather address any concerns immediately, or if the guest prefers, offer a full refund and help with resettlement at an alternate hotel.

Our hotel has been in operation since 1975, and we have been lucky enough to cultivate a strong and extremely loyal following because of the value we offer and our exacting standards of cleanliness. (We do not advertise, so our business is word-of-mouth and walk-in.) We regularly undertake small and large projects to upgrade the facilities, with major capital improvements every couple of years. We have recently fully remodeled the first floor, our lobby, and all the bathrooms. All guestrooms are being refreshed with new paint, lighting, and décor. Our phone system begins its planned upgrade this month to a full digital service. A café is in the works.

Given the quality of our rooms and our excellent location, we are the most affordable hotel in all Makati. As of this writing, TripAdvisor ranked us as No. 16 of all the 51 rated hotels in Makati – with the 15 ahead of us mostly large, luxury establishments. We are the highest rated budget boutique hotel in the city, and we are known for maintaining the highest standards of cleanliness and value. While we are deeply sorry for the inconveniences the reviewer experienced, we are proud of our small hotel and confident that this situation will not repeat itself. We work hard to give our guests a pleasant and safe experience and offer Makati’s most affordable and comfortable hotel in its category. We invite you to come see our property and stay with us on your next trip.
Davao Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2011

Me and family were in manila last December 2010 and stayed at this hotel for 3 days. Surprisingly the place is so cool, warm place, warm people and affordable price. We were thinking of coming back again for our next holiday and hopefully we can get same rate.... glad my sister book us here

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Malvern UUnited Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2011

White tiled floor, white sheets a striking impression of cleanliness, and it is just that. The reception personnel are very friendly and helpful. I stayed on and off for three weeks, stored cases and returned at short notice: no problem. I shall stay again. There's a laundry next door open 7 days called "Lets talk dirty" laundry! Plenty of eating houses nearby and BDO Bank with ATM. Recommended.

Stayed February 2011, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Durban? Share your experiences!