“Convenient Central City Location for the Budget Conscious Shopper” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Asian Mansion II

Save Saved
You added Asian Mansion II to your Saves list
Asian Mansion II
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   107 Dela Rosa Street, Legaspi Village, Makati, Luzon, Philippines   |
Ranked #47 of 66 Hotels in Makati
Makati, Philippines
“Convenient Central City Location for the Budget Conscious Shopper”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

The Asian Mansion II Hotel is very conveniently located right opposite the Greenbelt Mall (well not the mall proper, but immediately across the road - Dela Rosa Street, is the footpath where one can easily walk to the Greenbelt mall which also adjoins with two other malls). This is a pedestrian only walkway, where the ONLY road that has to be crossed is Dela Rosa Street, so if shopping is high on one's agenda, considerable savings would be made on what would otherwise be invested in taxi fares or other transport costs, because walking to the three malls via this walkway would be faster than going to any of them in a taxi. (About a five minute walk to the first mall: "Landmark" Dept. Store and walking straight through the Landmark, to SM Makati). The Greenbelt malls are also accessed from the same walkway.

The rooms are not the largest I've seen and the bathroom was TINY! However it was clean and everything was functional. The best part of the room is the view out of the ample floor to ceiling windows in the main living room of the two room apartment.
It has a small kitchen with all the facilities needed to cook a basic meal including plates and cutlery, but it does have a very generous sized (by hotel standards) refrigerator.
The (small) bedroom is furnished with a bed that would only just qualify as a 'double bed' and that was the only bedding. We required an extra single bed which the hotel provided, but for an extra P800.00 ($20.00 approx) per day. The bed was one of those fold-up portable 'guest beds' with a thin mattress, but it was surprisingly comfortable to sleep in. It was just as well that it wasn't a 'normal' bed because being such small rooms there is only one place to put it - in the living room. We only opened it in the evening when it was required, otherwise it was always in the way, cluttering up the living room. The bedroom had no space for storing anything larger than a typical suitcase, so it wasn't even an option.

I notice a few other reviewers mention that the hotel doesn't have wi-fi internet service, which is true, however I just took my laptop to almost any of the many restaurants along Dela Rosa Street and used their wi-fi, (after buying a cup of coffee or something from them). I also bought a "SMART Bro" USB 3G mobile internet stick, for about P1000.00 which comes with 5 days unlimited free surfing / downloading access. I then bought a P100.00 load which saw me through to the end of my stay. Next time I visit the Philippines, I simply buy another load card and recharge...
I didn't think that having no Internet access (provided to the room by the hotel) was a big issue and I am a person who is HEAVILY reliant upon the Internet for many things in my daily life...

The hotel staff were wonderful, always polite and couldn't do enough for us. They serviced the room daily (as they do in any hotel), which was just as well, because owing to the very limited size of the rooms, we couldn't even find places to store things, but the hotel staff had it down to a 'fine art' so we always returned to be pleasantly surprised by our small but CLEAN and TIDY room every afternoon...
There is no dining room within the hotel, but they do have a very efficient 24 hour room service with a fair selection on their menu, so meals were no problem and reasonably priced. (We were on holiday and couldn't be bothered cooking our own, which we could easily have done if we preferred).

One thing I really appreciated about this hotel too, was it was always quiet - never disturbed by traffic noise from the street (as we were on the 19th level, well above the street), nor by inconsiderate (rowdy) fellow guests. The rooms may be small but are built very solidly, so are very soundproof.

For the daily tariff of about $63.00 per day, (even with the extra $20.00 / day for the extra bed) this hotel is probably unbeatable value. The only negative is the size of the rooms - a little cramped, but at that rate I was happy to ignore that minor inconvenience.
It is a great hotel and we would not hesitate to stay there again.

Room Tip: Try to book a room in the uppermost levels as Dela Rosa Street below and the other street it is on t...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Korean first
Fairfield, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I stayed at Asian Mansion on two different occasions within the past month This hotel is okay if you are staying for a 1 night stay; if you plan to stay longer - you might want to check outother hotels in Makati. I concur with other reviews, both rooms I stayed in were "extremely tired" and in need of a total refresh. The wall paper looks like from the 90's and peeling off; the furniture is truly antiquated and also from the 90's. The breakfast that was included was delivered to your room by staff which was nice; but the food was below average. This hotel has so much potential if the management would invest some of the money into upgrading the rooms to modern standards. On the positive side, the rooms were clean and the shower was hot - which is a must! The location is also close to the heart of Makati and safe. There is also a 7-11 store next door which is convenient. Yes, I would stay at Asian Mansion again.....if they upgrade/refresh the "tired" rooms.

Room Tip: Check out the room before you accept it
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dartford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

This was my third visit to this hotel and basically nothing has changed, the staff are still very welcoming. The food is ok and the rooms are on the whole acceptable. The reason I am reviewing this hotel again is just as an updated guide for visitors.

On our arrival we were met by the same bellman as on our previous visit who after check in told us that the room allocated to us was better than the one we stayed in previously. Well my wife took one look at the room and politely said,"I'm not staying in this room". It was quite bad actually, the floor had been cleaned but looked dirty, the sofa was dirty(I certainly wouldn't have sat on it), the wall paper was dirty and in places peeling away from the wall.

So off I went to the reception to complain, "I'm sorry but room 805 which you allocated us is totally unacceptable, could you please place us in another room". Without any questions we were then allocated room 1403 and what a difference, it was just perfect. The room was spotlessly clean, the décor was much better and there were even pictures on the walls.

So after the first 30 minutes our stay was to the standard we had received on previous visits. If you are not happy with your room, please do ask to be moved, there are some very nice rooms at this hotel. The rates are very reasonable and its proximity to Greenbelt and Glorietta is great.

If you have read my other reviews you will know that I prefer The BSA Tower in Legaspi Street, on this occasion I had to leave it late to book and they didn't have the room I required. However Asian Mansion ll is a very good second choice.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Booked the 2 bedroom condo for $97/night (they'll charge your credit card in pesos though, so be mindful of the exchange rate they use) for two nights. Location was great - walking distance from Greenbelt, Landmark, Ayala Center, etc. There are also bakeries, pharmacies and spas around the neighborhood.

Room itself looked very old, wall paper was falling off. We didn't even wanna touch the kitchen. Parking was horrific. It took us at least 10 minutes to get in and out of the parking garage because the ramps and spots were all so narrow. Bedroom and bathroom were acceptable.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Initially a little hard to find, it cost me 190 Pesos to get here from NAIA Terminal 2 by taxi, though I did have to become rather assertive and get out of two taxis before I found a nice old fellow who was happy to do his job properly and honestly by taking me on the meter. One of the taxis I had to get out of was a fellow who even showed me an Airport Police ID card, purporting to be moonlighting as a taxi driver to support his supposed 8 children. Dishonesty should be met with distrust, so if you’re in Manila make sure you take a photo of any details if you’re in such a situation, and take another cab. Thank you to the honest fellow I mention above whose company name was Ashton Taxis, and whose rego plate number was UVT756.
Asian Mansion II seems to be known by various names, including St. Francis Suites, or are at least associated with them and the bigger ASB Condotels company. The building is shared with other residents and tenants, so it’s not all hotel rooms.
The sign on the front of Asian Mansion II is difficult to see if you’re just driving past, but it is right on the corner of Dela Rosa and Nieva Streets, and the entrance is next door to the 7/11.
Service from staff and lobby guards was always friendly and helpful, and checkin/checkout processes were efficient. Having reception on the 2nd floor was a bit of a hassle but not too bad.
Unfortunately I expected a little more for my money, but my hotel room was rather dated. The worst part was that I hardly slept during my time at the hotel, and the box-type air conditioner sounded like being inside a jet aeroplane, while whenever I switched the lights on in the bathroom, the fan went off like a piston engined aeroplane! The air conditioner was positioned directly next to the bed, and the lowest fan setting was still quite high and it was difficult to sleep. Even earplugs struggled to block the noise out.
Strangely, and really quite unacceptably, there was one coffee, whitener and sugar sachet provided per guest for the first day only! I didn’t pay any less for subsequent days, so I wasn’t pleased that these basic amenities weren’t provided on subsequent days!
The bedsheets were clean but the blanket appeared a bit dirty. Generally cleanliness was OK, but it looked a bit worse than it was because of the dated condition of the room – peeling wallpaper, moisture swollen finishings in the bathroom, damaged vertical blinds that don’t fully block out the view etc.
I think most, if not all, rooms have balconies, and mine had a small balcony – good enough to step out onto for a while, but only about 1 x 2.5 metres.
Breakfast choices were plentiful but it always came lukewarm, and the meat options didn’t look too good so I usually ended up having meals without meat.
I’m not sure about the operation of the swimming pool on the upper floor, it was clean but certainly not heated, and I wasn’t able to get the spas/jacuzzis working as these facilities are under the building management rather than the hotel management.
WiFi Internet was not included, apparently cable internet can be arranged for 150 Pesos per day, but I couldn’t find anywhere in my room that I might connect a cable to.
The location is pretty good, turn right when exiting and you’re about 10 minutes’ walk to Glorietta, Greenbelt and the main shopping area of Makati, or approximately 15 minutes’ walk to the Ayala train station.
Overall I have to say I expected the service to be worse and the room to be better but reality was quite the opposite. Value for money in a central Makati location is hard to find, so if you’re a sound sleeper I could suggest you consider this place, but otherwise you may want to consider staying at a place a few notches up for a decent nights’ sleep!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Miri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Staying here on the first day I arrived Manila. Choose this hotel mainly because of the price and the location near to Greenblet and Ayala.

Luckily I print out the location of the hotel, and shown to the Taxi driver as he wasn't sure about the exact location. Further the hotel is actually a condotel, with it's reception located on the second floor, and ground floor is the security checking counter.

The hotel room is basically quite spacious. There is even a kitchen attached to it. If you are traveling in big group, or with family, then it's very suitable cause you can cook or even dine inside the hotel room, but who would do that if you are on vacation? Maybe like me a take-away for supper at night : )

The bed is rather hard, but one thing I can't stand is the noise from the aircond. For two nights I hardly can sleep, that I have to off the aircond and sleep with window open. Didn't complain to the management though, since I didn't spend much time sleeping inside the hotel.

The location is very convenience as mentioned, just a few minutes walks to Greenbelts, Landmark, SM Mall Ayala..and it's almost in the center of everything.

I wasn't sure I will come back to stay again, perhaps I will due to the price and location, but I might probably ask for room with better aircond.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Rotterdam
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The location was very convenient to our needs (close to malls and embassy).
Rooms were old and not very clean. Breakfest (fixed menu's to choose from) was included and served on agreed time in the room. It is a good place to stay for the price you pay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Asian Mansion II? Share your experiences!