“Caring Service” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 72 Hotels in Makati
Washington DC
“Caring Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I organized a family dinner party at the Umu restaurant (Japanese) when my family stayed at the hotel. We had 2 wheelchair bound guests and the staff of the Dusit treated them with genuine compassion and Filipino respect. It was well beyond what was expected and more importantly I sensed a true compassion with the staff. I guess my uncles would have been their Lolo's, so this time around I don't think the money that motivated them, but the true respect that is culturally bestowed on their elders. I was touched by what I experience making this hotel to be on the top of my list.

Room Tip: The suite is nice, but I did not see it necessary. It's more what you are accustomed or acceptin...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Danelle P, Public Relations Manager at Dusit Thani Manila, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Khun nmontesa,

At Dusit Thani Manila, we treat our guests like family. It brings us joy knowing that you have felt this during your recent visit at the Umu Japanese Restaurant. We also hope that your family dinner was a delectably memorable one.

Thank you once again for rating us in TripAdvisor and sharing here your experience with us. It would be great to have you once again and welcome you, your uncles and the entire family back at Dusit Thani Manila.

Here's wishing you all the very best.

Danelle Palang

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

We were treated like a VIPs. Staffs are nice and ambiance is so relaxing. The room is nice & the view is great. Very convenient location. Food are better than I expected. Hope to get the chance to visit again

• Stayed February 2013
Paris
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

I was quite disappointed by the Dusit; it's expensive, even though we got good rates thanks to a friend, old fashioned and not really welcoming, although as throughout the Philippines the staff is very professional and kind.
There are many other less expensive alternatives to the Dusit in Makati! Our executive suit was small and they were unable to provide an additional bed (for the 3rd person), one of us slept on the sofa, and the fittings old and used.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Danelle P, Public Relations Manager at Dusit Thani Manila, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Khun Croccofant,

Thank you for rating us in TripAdvisor. Dusit Thani Manila is renowned for its excellent service and genuine care for its guests and it saddens us to know that you have felt otherwise during your recent stay with us. The Executive Suite is our 3rd biggest room category which is 73square meter in size, complete with amenities and special privileges. Best available rates may be accessed through our website and we highly recommend them to our guests for great deals and offers.

We are soon to launch the new Dusit Club Lounge that sits atop the hotel while plans to renovate our rooms are underway. We really hope that we may be given another chance to service you once again especially with the current sprawling innovations and new offerings that the hotel is cooking up for all its valued guests.

Once again, thank you for your feedback. T he privilege of welcoming you back would be our pleasure.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Its an excellent hotel, built grand, a bit old now. Shop carefully for rates. Sometimes AsiaTravel offers a "crazy rate" for an unidentified hotel, its usually this one or the New World and its a good price. However, if you have a government ID card, (active or retired), email them directly for a special rate.

Convenient to Ayala MRT station, and a wide range of shopping. However, the best restaurants are several blocks away. Groceries,, breakfast items, and ATMs are across the street in SM mall.

Security is very good, which must be why many events are held in the ballroom here.

If your interest is the Greenbelt area, its a long walk from Dusit.

Room Tip: Sometimes they upgrade me to a larger room. If you are bringing "guests", be considerate a...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Khun JamboME,

Thank you for taking time to rate us in TripAdvisor.

We are happy to know that you find Dusit Thani Manila an excellent hotel. Regarding your feedback on rates, we highly recommend that you visit our website which offers the Best Available Rates possible so as to avoid "crazy rates" from other sites.

Yes, Dusit Thani Manila has become a popular venue for events. It does not only offer various venue options depending on the client's space requirements, but most importantly, it also takes pride in its delectable dishes, themes to choose from and dedicated banquet service managers to ensure that your needs are met every step of the way.

Thank you once again for sharing your thoughts with us. We wish to welcome you once again to Dusit Thani Manila.

Doha, Qatar
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I visit the Phil once a year with my family but this time I travelled on my own, and decided to booked this hotel through expedia.com and I am very pleased I did ,after trying to check out all the other hotels in terms of what I was prepared to pay for my 2 night stay. I booked a Club Room. I arrived quite early before the check-in time and my room wasn't ready , which I understand . The staff made me feel very welcome . I waited in the club lounge and was offered a drink straight away, there were finger foods and fruits available to eat and hot & cold drinks . when I told them that my Iphone needed to be charged they immediately sorted it out for me, and after half an hour I managed to contact my husband that I arrived safe & well. They kept me informed regularly how long I have to wait for my room to be ready and that they're trying their best to do it as quickly as they can which I like because they know I am tired and would really like to have a rest after a long flight. The room is not big but it's clean and functional. It needs a bit of updating but with the price I paid for my stay I am not complaining. I have a choice of places to have my breakfast but they sent me a very nice letter that I can use the Tosca restaurant exclusively for breakfast , a nice touch. I was quite busy during my stay that I didn't have the chance to check out all the facilities . But I have noticed that they are working on a nice new place for exclusive use of Club Guests . The shopping centre / mall is only across the road and a mere 2 minutes walk where you can find everything you need . I was travelling to another island and couldn't bring one of my small cabin suitcase with me so I decided to leave it with them in their storage for a few days which they obliged without hesitation. I returned to pick it up but it took them awhile to find it which annoyed me because I was in a hurry but one thing I can say is that I am very impressed the way the staff in Dusit Thani handled an irrate customer like me.
I felt bad for being a little bit impatient but the staff were very apologetic and so genuinely charming that I managed to say thank you with a big smile :-)) I wish I I've known their names because I would have mentioned it here and would like their manager to know that their staff are a credit to their establishment. I like staying in hotels like this where the staff treat their guests very very welcome and really try their best to provide an excellent service beyond what is expected of them.. Wonderful!!

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Khun srfab,

Dusit Thani Manila is founded on a vision that provides a unique journey to all its guests with bespoke service, utmost care and ingenuity. It is such a delight knowing you were very pleased with your recent stay with us. With the soon-to-launch Dusit Club Lounge, a more exciting Club experience awaits you. It would certainly be a pleasure to welcome you back soon.

Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Thai hotel chain, nice hotel, good location. Not so many restaurants around at night time. Spacious room but a bit old. Nice breakfast line. Good security guards. Can add points from your stay to ROP Membership but the process sounds so complicated.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Danelle P, Public Relations Manager at Dusit Thani Manila, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Khun Patralak,

Thank you for choosing Dusit Thani Manila as your home away from Bangkok. As you may have known, Dusit is widely-known and is one of the pioneers in the hospitality industry in Thailand. It has been our pleasure serving you and we look forward to have you back again especially with the launch of the new Dusit Club Lounge this year where an entire floor of state-of-the-art facilities and bespoke service await all our Club guests. To have you experience that on your next visit would be wonderful.

We await for your return.

Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

This hotel has a lot of good things going for it but the negatives currently outweigh the good things. Ill start with the cons:
This property DESPERATELY needs to do a deep clean and renovation of its rooms (for a start). I can't stress this enough. My first room Actually had lots of black colored mould growing above the shower, it looked like it had been painted over and was reappearing. The room stunk like a damp urine odour. It only smelt better after the maid changed the towels and made the bed and sprayed lots of perfume in the room. Its a thai hotel and thai culture may use candles with oil incense for aromas but this place needs to
Continually spray perfume and incense to keep the place from stinking of dampness. I actually think the entire hotel has a mould and dampness problem. Possibly leaking pipes that are too expensive for them to want to fix. The rooms may look clean at a glance but further inspection shows they are filthy. The carpets and carpeted bench in the rooms require deep steam clean and wash. There is a haze of dirt in the carpets. It's like people wearing dirty shoes in the rooms for years and only thing used to clean was a cheap vacuum. I would honestly guess that the rooms hunt had a deep clean in several years. Probably around 3 years. You can tell by looking where the carpet meets the wall, there's loads of dust caked there. You can pinch the carpet there and pick up lots of dust. Also the lamps and other things tht plus in have dust and grime caked on the cord and the electrical socket. The rooms generally have a dirty feel.
This hotel isn't cheap. It's around $150 USD a night. But it has a small approx 32" old style LCD TV. The bath tub has small noticeable cracks in it. The wallpapers looks old.
Aside from the rooms the only other negative thing that I can think of is that there always seems to be a big line up at the front counter for check in/out /questions for the hotel / etc. the staff are extremely helpful but the line does take 3-7 minutes roughly. Nice thing is that they have about 5 or 6 staff that seems their only job is to keep people in the line company, which is kind of nice (unless you get one that ends up being annoying with silly questions and annoys you while you are trying to have a conversation with the person you are with, and the staff member is asking you stupid small talk while interrupting your conversation with the person you are traveling with).
Lastly I would say that the spa is a tiny bit expensive. About $110 USD for 2 hours massage. It's not expensive compared to what people pay in America, and the service is very very good, the facility is very very good, but I think when compared to other spas in the area that have the same level of quality it is about 2 times the price (or more).
Also the beds are cheap. They're somewhat hard and uncomfortable. This may be because of the Thai theme because I noticed beds in Thailand are often uncomfortable like this as well.

The positive things about this hotel. The property has a beautiful lobby, and a really pretty garden in the back with fish ponds and a nice area to walk and sit.
Number 1 thing here is the staff. They do an exceptional job of greeting you, making you feel welcome and special. They really want to help you and want your stay to be good.
The property is Thai themed, it's a Thai hotel chain. This is probably the reason tht their Thai restaurant is so darn good. The best Thai food I have eaten outside of Thailand. It tastes better then some of the Thai food I've eaten in Thailand. But really the Thai restaurant at this property is a must for everyone staying here. most authentic taste I've had outside of Thailand. Thai iced tea is perfect. The Tom yum is 10/10. The curries are full flavoured and authentic.
The location is absolutely fantastic. Literally across the street from the best shopping in makati. SM, glorietta malls, landmark malls. Etc. all of the shopping and restaurants are right there. Security is very good. They have armed guards, metal detectors, K9 security, as well as this area of makati is very well guarded. Armed guards thru out the streets so you can walk
Around and not worry about your safety whatsoever.
When you check in they have staff keep you company in line, they offer you candy, they get the doors for you. The person keeping you company in line does a good job of convincing you that they're actually interested in what country you are from and fascinate by your answers to their small talk questions.
View from the rooms is very nice.
The spa is really nice. The service there is very good. If you don't mind paying American prices then check it out you won't be disappointed. They're open late too. Till around midnight which is awesome if you arrive late and want to unwind. It's a bit expensive, but Thts really the only downside. Other then that it's really a very good spa. And it's not expensive compared to America prices. It's about half of American prices. But it's just expensive for makati/philipenes prices.
The gym is also very good. Has everything you'd need. It's approx 6,000 sq ft and has lots of staff to help you, they offer you headphones and a towel when you enter and they have supplements for when you're done if you need them.
Also free wifi and its fairly fast.

I really like this hotel, the Thai theme is fun and the lobby is beautiful, it's location is great and I think that after they renovate the rooms it will be a wonderful choice for anyone staying in makati. For now however I would not recommend it due to the rooms being in poor condition. If the room condition doesn't bother you then this hotel will probably be a good choice. But for me I won't stay again until I know the rooms are better.

If you want to save money there are plenty of cheaper hotels tht are probably just as nice as Dusit. But it's probably worth staying at one of the more premium hotels in makati and paying an extra 20%-40% more money and having a nicer and cleaner room.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Dusit Thani Manila? Share your experiences!