“Nice hotel, perfect location , and service is wonderful.” 5 of 5 stars

Dusit Thani Manila
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Ayala Center, Makati, Luzon 1223, Philippines   |
Ranked #18 of 72 Hotels in Makati
Doha, Qatar
“Nice hotel, perfect location , and service is wonderful.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I visit the Phil once a year with my family but this time I travelled on my own, and decided to booked this hotel through expedia.com and I am very pleased I did ,after trying to check out all the other hotels in terms of what I was prepared to pay for my 2 night stay. I booked a Club Room. I arrived quite early before the check-in time and my room wasn't ready , which I understand . The staff made me feel very welcome . I waited in the club lounge and was offered a drink straight away, there were finger foods and fruits available to eat and hot & cold drinks . when I told them that my Iphone needed to be charged they immediately sorted it out for me, and after half an hour I managed to contact my husband that I arrived safe & well. They kept me informed regularly how long I have to wait for my room to be ready and that they're trying their best to do it as quickly as they can which I like because they know I am tired and would really like to have a rest after a long flight. The room is not big but it's clean and functional. It needs a bit of updating but with the price I paid for my stay I am not complaining. I have a choice of places to have my breakfast but they sent me a very nice letter that I can use the Tosca restaurant exclusively for breakfast , a nice touch. I was quite busy during my stay that I didn't have the chance to check out all the facilities . But I have noticed that they are working on a nice new place for exclusive use of Club Guests . The shopping centre / mall is only across the road and a mere 2 minutes walk where you can find everything you need . I was travelling to another island and couldn't bring one of my small cabin suitcase with me so I decided to leave it with them in their storage for a few days which they obliged without hesitation. I returned to pick it up but it took them awhile to find it which annoyed me because I was in a hurry but one thing I can say is that I am very impressed the way the staff in Dusit Thani handled an irrate customer like me.
I felt bad for being a little bit impatient but the staff were very apologetic and so genuinely charming that I managed to say thank you with a big smile :-)) I wish I I've known their names because I would have mentioned it here and would like their manager to know that their staff are a credit to their establishment. I like staying in hotels like this where the staff treat their guests very very welcome and really try their best to provide an excellent service beyond what is expected of them.. Wonderful!!

• Stayed February 2013
Danelle P, Public Relations Manager at Dusit Thani Manila, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Khun srfab,

Dusit Thani Manila is founded on a vision that provides a unique journey to all its guests with bespoke service, utmost care and ingenuity. It is such a delight knowing you were very pleased with your recent stay with us. With the soon-to-launch Dusit Club Lounge, a more exciting Club experience awaits you. It would certainly be a pleasure to welcome you back soon.

Danelle Palang

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Thai hotel chain, nice hotel, good location. Not so many restaurants around at night time. Spacious room but a bit old. Nice breakfast line. Good security guards. Can add points from your stay to ROP Membership but the process sounds so complicated.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Danelle P, Public Relations Manager at Dusit Thani Manila, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Khun Patralak,

Thank you for choosing Dusit Thani Manila as your home away from Bangkok. As you may have known, Dusit is widely-known and is one of the pioneers in the hospitality industry in Thailand. It has been our pleasure serving you and we look forward to have you back again especially with the launch of the new Dusit Club Lounge this year where an entire floor of state-of-the-art facilities and bespoke service await all our Club guests. To have you experience that on your next visit would be wonderful.

We await for your return.

Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

This hotel has a lot of good things going for it but the negatives currently outweigh the good things. Ill start with the cons:
This property DESPERATELY needs to do a deep clean and renovation of its rooms (for a start). I can't stress this enough. My first room Actually had lots of black colored mould growing above the shower, it looked like it had been painted over and was reappearing. The room stunk like a damp urine odour. It only smelt better after the maid changed the towels and made the bed and sprayed lots of perfume in the room. Its a thai hotel and thai culture may use candles with oil incense for aromas but this place needs to
Continually spray perfume and incense to keep the place from stinking of dampness. I actually think the entire hotel has a mould and dampness problem. Possibly leaking pipes that are too expensive for them to want to fix. The rooms may look clean at a glance but further inspection shows they are filthy. The carpets and carpeted bench in the rooms require deep steam clean and wash. There is a haze of dirt in the carpets. It's like people wearing dirty shoes in the rooms for years and only thing used to clean was a cheap vacuum. I would honestly guess that the rooms hunt had a deep clean in several years. Probably around 3 years. You can tell by looking where the carpet meets the wall, there's loads of dust caked there. You can pinch the carpet there and pick up lots of dust. Also the lamps and other things tht plus in have dust and grime caked on the cord and the electrical socket. The rooms generally have a dirty feel.
This hotel isn't cheap. It's around $150 USD a night. But it has a small approx 32" old style LCD TV. The bath tub has small noticeable cracks in it. The wallpapers looks old.
Aside from the rooms the only other negative thing that I can think of is that there always seems to be a big line up at the front counter for check in/out /questions for the hotel / etc. the staff are extremely helpful but the line does take 3-7 minutes roughly. Nice thing is that they have about 5 or 6 staff that seems their only job is to keep people in the line company, which is kind of nice (unless you get one that ends up being annoying with silly questions and annoys you while you are trying to have a conversation with the person you are with, and the staff member is asking you stupid small talk while interrupting your conversation with the person you are traveling with).
Lastly I would say that the spa is a tiny bit expensive. About $110 USD for 2 hours massage. It's not expensive compared to what people pay in America, and the service is very very good, the facility is very very good, but I think when compared to other spas in the area that have the same level of quality it is about 2 times the price (or more).
Also the beds are cheap. They're somewhat hard and uncomfortable. This may be because of the Thai theme because I noticed beds in Thailand are often uncomfortable like this as well.

The positive things about this hotel. The property has a beautiful lobby, and a really pretty garden in the back with fish ponds and a nice area to walk and sit.
Number 1 thing here is the staff. They do an exceptional job of greeting you, making you feel welcome and special. They really want to help you and want your stay to be good.
The property is Thai themed, it's a Thai hotel chain. This is probably the reason tht their Thai restaurant is so darn good. The best Thai food I have eaten outside of Thailand. It tastes better then some of the Thai food I've eaten in Thailand. But really the Thai restaurant at this property is a must for everyone staying here. most authentic taste I've had outside of Thailand. Thai iced tea is perfect. The Tom yum is 10/10. The curries are full flavoured and authentic.
The location is absolutely fantastic. Literally across the street from the best shopping in makati. SM, glorietta malls, landmark malls. Etc. all of the shopping and restaurants are right there. Security is very good. They have armed guards, metal detectors, K9 security, as well as this area of makati is very well guarded. Armed guards thru out the streets so you can walk
Around and not worry about your safety whatsoever.
When you check in they have staff keep you company in line, they offer you candy, they get the doors for you. The person keeping you company in line does a good job of convincing you that they're actually interested in what country you are from and fascinate by your answers to their small talk questions.
View from the rooms is very nice.
The spa is really nice. The service there is very good. If you don't mind paying American prices then check it out you won't be disappointed. They're open late too. Till around midnight which is awesome if you arrive late and want to unwind. It's a bit expensive, but Thts really the only downside. Other then that it's really a very good spa. And it's not expensive compared to America prices. It's about half of American prices. But it's just expensive for makati/philipenes prices.
The gym is also very good. Has everything you'd need. It's approx 6,000 sq ft and has lots of staff to help you, they offer you headphones and a towel when you enter and they have supplements for when you're done if you need them.
Also free wifi and its fairly fast.

I really like this hotel, the Thai theme is fun and the lobby is beautiful, it's location is great and I think that after they renovate the rooms it will be a wonderful choice for anyone staying in makati. For now however I would not recommend it due to the rooms being in poor condition. If the room condition doesn't bother you then this hotel will probably be a good choice. But for me I won't stay again until I know the rooms are better.

If you want to save money there are plenty of cheaper hotels tht are probably just as nice as Dusit. But it's probably worth staying at one of the more premium hotels in makati and paying an extra 20%-40% more money and having a nicer and cleaner room.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

This older Hotel HAS been a tourist hot spot for years. BUT NO Longer, Its Simply NOT Value, as its old and dated. the staff and service are great however at US$300 per night c/w breakfast for 2 its just not value. The rooms are old, drab and looking every bit there age compared to some of the wonderfull 4 and 5 star hotels available. Shang ri La, Raffles, Fairmont. I suggest you give this one a miss and do a deal on one of the newest.
Yes ive stayed at Dusit several times and yes very good, but soo many new hotels are just so much better for the price.

Room Tip: Th executive rooms for the Lounger areas , is a shame with very small nibbles that are useless and d...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Khun thanksmate,

Your feedback is highly valuable to us. Thank you for taking time to rate us here in TripAdvisor.

Dusit Thani Manila carries with it a wealth of historical events and milestones, a rich heritage as translated through its services and festivals and at the same time prides itself with continuous massive refurbishments all over the hotel. Underway is the construction of the new Dusit Club Lounge, an entire floor of state-of-the-art facilities for the hotel's Club guests.

Trust that Dusit Thani Manila will continuously thrive to give its guests a pleasantly memorable stay. We still look forward to welcome you back here at Dusit Thani Manila.

germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Our manila stay will be perfect if we stay in Dusit thani Makati. We just need to cross the road to reach the first big mall which is connected to several malls. Good service from the front door persons to the reception for check in, even in the elevator you get a help. room small though but can sleep well. Some toilets needs renovation but are still good in shape.

Ambience in the Lounge is perfect and what is heavenly is the breakfast they offer. You'll get a lot of tons of varieties. We enjoy both Filipino cuisine & international food that they serve. It's been always a joy staying in this hotel and we will keep on coming back!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Danelle P, Public Relations Manager at Dusit Thani Manila, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Khun kikay32,

We love that Dusit Thani Manila is your preferred home in the Philippines! We truly pride ourselves with great food and beverage offerings both in terms of selection and quality. And since our service is founded on a unique combination of Thai hospitality and Filipino geniality, you are assured of the warmth of two great cultures at all times. It is a delight to know that you have been welcomed and treated well in this property and is looking forward to visiting us again.

To welcome you back would be our true pleasure - a great privilege, in fact.

Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I give this four points only because of the staff. The management have clearly put in a lot of effort to train the staff and it shows. It is noticable that even the most junior staff acknowledge your presence, while the number of "sawadee ka/krap" greetings you get as you walk through the lobby can get a bit too much! Whatever else is done, this should remain a priority.

That was the good news.

The bad news is that there are issues with the standard of decoration and maintenance of the rooms and there are on-going upgrading works on the upper floors that affect the overall experience.

The impression I got is that the hotel is trying to maintain full capacity, while at the same time doing the upgrading work. This inevitably means that guests suffer, as they are shifted around to make way for the work (I was moved from one room to another, as the hotel was full). I would really recommend to management to reduce the capacity while the upgrading work is going on and increase it again when complete. Some clients will be lost as a result, if they continue to try to achieve both full capacity at the same time as upgrade.

The decoration in the rooms is not that good and in two of the three rooms I have stayed in recently is getting a bit tired. On the maintenance side, the second room I was allocated last week suffered a serious leak from the bathroom above, whenever the person staying in that room took a shower each morning and evening, causing water to course down the walls and gather in a pool on the floor of my bathroom. (Room number 936 in case anyone is interested!)

This is the second time I have stayed here and I will give it another chance, because this has the potential to be a very good hotel, but management need to pay attention to the above.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Khun Chidlom,

We greatly appreciate your valuable feedback about your recent stay with us here at Dusit Thani Manila. We have been working real hard in delivering the most pleasant stay for all our guests every single day, every step of the way. Please accept our sincerest apologies if we have failed to meet your expectations this time around. Trust that we have every sincere intention to serve you well. True that we are upgrading our products with the on-going construction of the soon to open Dusit Club Lounge, one of the biggest development sthat we cannot wait to launch this year, hopefully within the 1st quarter of 2013. This is just one of the progress works we have lined up to ensure that your stay with us will be a pleasantly comfortable one.

Thank you once again for sharing your thoughts with us. They are important to us, the same manner that we hope to always provide you with a journey that touches the heart and soul.

We look forward to having you again here at Dusit Thani Manila, as well as to serve you better in your next visit.

vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

Great location & friendly staff,
Our room was very nice. However, our bathtub was in dire need of repair. We had been traveling for several days. I really wanted a bath. After days of just cold water I was really looking forward to a hot bath. But no.

• Stayed January 2013

Been to Dusit Thani Manila? Share your experiences!