“Awesome sound system, cumbersome controller” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 8 Fun & Games in Makati
San Francisco, California
59 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 109 helpful votes
“Awesome sound system, cumbersome controller”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

I reserved Room #2 at the Red Box Karaoke Lounge inside Greenbelt 3 for a Sunday night jam with some cousins. I indicated that I was expecting about 12-15 guests at check-in, and they told me that the room's max capacity was 20. Awesome.

What I didn't expect was that regardless of how many guests showed up, I would still be charged for 20 people. Not awesome, because I ended up paying for 8 non-existent guests. Had I known that, I would have requested a smaller room.

But first, what I liked:
- Well appointed private room with billiard table
- Great sound system with two mics
- Centralized location inside Greenbelt 3 within walking distance of our hotel (and plenty of parking for those driving in)

What I didn't like:
- Not being told that I would need to pay the max capacity of the room, regardless of number of guests
- Cumbersome controller -- since only one person at a time can scroll for songs, you pretty much needed to know what you wanted to sing as there is no song book. The interface isn't that intuitive, and our system had to be re-booted a couple of times because the controller froze.
- Disappearing staff - first, there's 3 people behind the desk. Next, there's zero. We had to chase them down to order drinks and request assistance.

Now that I know there are other similar places in Makati, I will go somewhere else next time I am in town. At PHP549/person (x20!!!), it's not worth the price of admission.

Visited May 2013