“First class service, accommodation and experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Raffles Makati

You added Raffles Makati to your Saves list
Raffles Makati
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Raffles Drive, Makati Avenue, Makati, Luzon 1224, Philippines   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
15% - 20% Off Room Rate
Ranked #1 of 67 Hotels in Makati
Kent, Washington
“First class service, accommodation and experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

My stay at the Raffles Makati was grand and over the top. With all the extra amenities, all-suite accommodations and supreme service—it was truly a stay to remember. I stayed at the Raffles in Makati for 4 days in between October and November. Here are a few things that I noticed and observed:

SECURITY / BOMB CHECK
If you have a driver or taxi take you to the hotel, it shares a main road with Fairmont, Makati. Tell your driver/taxi to go straight after the main road instead of taking a left (which is the Fairmont's driveway). Be aware that there is security and a bomb check whenever a vehicle enters the driveway.

CHECK IN
As I got out of the vehicle towards the front entrance of the Raffles lobby, somehow one of the bell staff already knew my name. This was kind of cool and kind of interesting at the same time, because I had not told them who I was to begin with. It was like they were magicians or crystal ball readers. They just knew! Check in was a breeze. The lady who checked me in was pleasant and amicable. The lobby was GORGEOUS. They had an interesting chandelier light fixture that was beautiful. The lobby was connected adjacent to the Long Bar (which I didn't have a chance to experience) and the Writer's Bar (which I did frequent for their complimentary afternoon tea). Everyone was helpful and the lady checking me in escorted me to my Junior suite on the 9th floor

JUNIOR SUITE
I walked in my accommodations on the 9th floor and it was very nice! As you walk in there is a small living room area with a sofa and flat screen tv on the right, and a dining area with several chairs and a coffee machine to your left. Beyond that area going forward is the bedroom, which had double doors that is able to be closed off from the dining/living area. The bed was a king size bed, but honestly it looked slightly bigger than that! There was a lounge chair towards the floor to ceiling window. Also, there was an office space and a flat screen TV that I didn't use. One nit pick about the room, which I read in various reviews, was the plug outlet situation—there was an outlet on the bedside table that was directly connected to this central electricity station that controlled what was on and off in the room. I found it very difficult to figure out how to turn off all the lights but keep the one outlet on to charge my laptop or mobile phone while I'm sleeping (and I would consider myself a very tech-savvy person)

Facing the window within the bedroom, there was a walk way / closet area not he right that had many amenities like a security safe, disposable slippers, hangers, a large mirror (that I used everyday and was very nice), etc. This area led to the bathroom. HOLY MOLEY, the bathroom was enormous! This was probably my favorite part of the Junior Suite. 2 deep basins (his and her sinks) along this very long counter. On the counter had many toiletries like toothbrush/toothpaste, comb, lotion, etc. On the left, there was a separate toilet area encased in a frosted glass door. As well as a very large rain shower head that was very grand and luxurious. Towards the window was a very large deep soaking tub that was amazing (I tried it a couple times). There was a disposable loofa and bath salts nearby to use as well!

SERVICE
The butler service was interesting to me. They were hardly seen and only able to be called upon if you request via phone call. I had the butler come by and make me coffee once—which was a little bit gratuitous since I could have easily made my own coffee after he showed me how to use the coffee machine. I read of reviews of butlers drawing your own bath, bringing bananas to the room, etc. I never found the need to call upon the butler's as I was on vacation and hardly in my room.

I did, however, really enjoy the turn down service. Every evening after coming back after a day out in Manila, I would come back to the hotel with little touches done to the room before bed. Among those was putting a towel mat right next to the bed with the slippers on top of it. Turning down the bed. Closing all the curtains in the bathroom. It was nice!

Having an on-call nurse in the facility was a great touch. I was extremely ill on the last night i was there. The nurse came by to my hotel room and assessed my illness and provided me with medication that was complimentary.

One negative, however, was that since I was sick I was feeling extremely cold in my hotel room. After turning off all the AC and just letting the room heat up itself from the warm weather outside, I called the butler to see if they had any warm blankets other than the cotton sheets/duvet that they had in the room. They didn't have any warmer blankets (understandably so, since we're in the Philippines and it's hot here), so I had to improvise and use the large bathroom towels to provide more warmth for myself. That was odd..

BREAKFAST BUFFET AT SPECTRUM
Having stayed at the Raffles hotel, you and another guest get complimentary breakfast buffet at the building's hotel restaurant, Spectrum. As you walk in the decoration is pristine and classy. The large windows allow the entire restaurant to be nicely lit. The entrance has some sort of shot glasses that are filled with energy type of fluid (like acai and antioxidants)—kind of cool. The Variety of the food there is pretty good! The baked section was extensive: banana breads, croissants, pan de sal, etc! Hot foods like dim sum, longganisa sausages, chicken sausages, bacon, eggs. There was a made to order soup section. A variety of fruits. Fresh juice and coconut juice! SO MUCH FOOD! The wait staff there were very helpful, especially the restaurant manager who always asked if we needed anything. For one of the mornings, I invited a few family members to celebrate my cousin's birthday. I mentioned it to someone working there, and they graciously came out with a birthday dessert that had a birthday candle on it—So thoughtful! Overall, I thought that this place was great!

AFTERNOON TEA AT THE WRITERS BAR
If you stay at the Raffles, you get afternoon tea for yourself and one other person. This happens between the hours of 2 and 5 pm, I believe. The decoration here was just chic and comfortable. With very tall bookcases and chandeliers, it felt like you were truly at an upscale environment. Part of the Afternoon tea was your choice of coffee or their selection of tea (you can also opt for an espresso, latte, etc—however these aren't refillable like the others). The first round of food was small sandwiches: my favorites were the ham/cheese, the cucumber and the smoked salmon. Then, the sweets came out—a basket full of scones that were accompanied by clotted cream and jelly, as well as a 3-tiered plate of desserts like fruit tarts, mini french macaroons and cream puffs. So. Much. Food.

COCKTAIL HOUR
I'm forgetting what time cocktail hour specifically occurs, but i'm going to guess between 6 and 8pm. This happens also at the Writer's bar, however at this time the sun and light outside has dimmed the room, and the atmosphere is a bit more sensual. We were told by the waitress that we could choose any drink from the menu that was around 375PHP and under. We chose our drinks, I got the Singapore Sling which was good! Then came food—we got 3 bite sized appetizers (one didn't taste so good, it kind of tasted like cat food..). Then after we finished our drink, the cocktail waitress asked what drink we'd like next—APPARENTLY… it's UNLIMITED cocktails under ~375PHP between the hours of 6 and 8pm. WHOA, what a great deal, and you only get this if you are staying at Raffles!

WILLOW SPA
The last night I stayed at the Raffles Makati, I decided to try the spa. I made my reservation the night before for a 60 minute relaxation massage. I was excited for it! Surprsingly enough, when I was having afternoon tea the next day someone from the Willow Spa was handing out promotional coupons that allowed an extra 30 minutes of massage time, a simple facial or a scrub to be added to a 60 minute massage treatment. And since I had already made reservations to this service I asked if I can add this onto my current reservation—and they said Yes! I made my way to the Willow spa about 30 minutes before my reservation to try out the facilities. The staff at the men's locker room were very friendly and helpful. They showed me to the Mineral Jaccuzi and the Steam room which were both really relaxing. Then, I went to get my massage and facial. It was very tranquil and relaxing. I think I might have fallen asleep in pure bliss. The massage therapist asked if the pressure was too little or too much, always making sure I was comfortable, which I really appreciated. Overall, it was great!

GYM
The gym was a very nice facility. You had to sign in near the front with your room and name. Also, they share the gym with Fairmont Makati. The equipment was really new—the treadmills had TV's on it and had the capability to dock your mobile phone or iPod. I didn't' see any resistance cables or free weights, which I would have appreciated more. The floor to ceiling windows were a really nice touch, especially since it gave the room so much light. There was some sort of water dispenser and a cucumber water dispenser, which seamed a little too much (the cucumber water was extremely sweet, probably not the best). I was told there was an onsite trainer that would assist you in your workout, I was not able to find him/her.

POOL
My friend and I used the pool twice. The pool boys were very accommodating. They set up the area we decided to sit at poolside nicely. Covering the lounge chairs with the pool towels and handing us the pool menu for food and drinks. There seemed to be a lot of them working at the time (the guest to pool boy ratio was off) which was fine.

LOCATION
Raffles is directly adjacent to the big 3 malls within walking distance. Across the street is Landmark (they have a grocery store on the bottom floor), Glorietta and Greenbelt. I believe it's also within walking distance of the Ayala Triangle. Directly outside of the hotel there's this really nice Japanese-esque Coffee shop called Mentore'—which I visited twice for their Cyphon coffee.

OVERALL
I truly had a great experience staying here at Raffles. I understand that this hotel is probably not within many's budget, but if you want to splurge and can do so, by all means please try this place. This is the newest hotel in Makati and I really hope they upkeep this property unlike some of the older places in the close vicinity. From service, facility, accommodations and exclusivity, I believe this is one of the best hotels—because it is personal to you.

Room Tip: I liked floor 9 more than floor 10, because floor 9 always had an open elevator.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Raffles_FairmontPH, Hotel Manager at Raffles Makati, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Dear Jerome,

Your review was such a good read! I wish to thank you for taking the time to share the details of your stay with us. It was very insightful and your inputs will allow us to improve on the areas that would help us provide our guests a more memorable stay. Thank you!

I'm glad to learn that you were able to enjoy a complete Raffles experience - from the afternoon tea, to the evening cocktails, down to the amenities. Thank you as well for giving such positive feedback on your spa treatment at Willow Stream. I'm happy that you had a relaxing and blissful experience.

Again, thank you for your valuable inputs. I look forward to welcoming you back to Raffles Makati - hopefully in the not too distant future.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

The Raffles Makati is a remarkable hotel which (although pricy) is a fantastic place. The staff spoil you and the facuilities are excellent. Like all Philippinos, the people make the difference and bend over backward to be helpful, pleasant and supportive. Be prepared to smile!

Room Tip: This is a high-end hotel. All rooms are great and well equipped. The staff are remarkable and all wi...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Raffles_FairmontPH, Hotel Manager at Raffles Makati, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear Acton,

I'm glad that we were able to look after your every need during your stay. It was our pleasure!

I wish to thank you for commending the service of our hotel colleagues. I'm very lucky to be working with such a gracious and friendly team. They are very passionate in providing quality service to our guests, I'm inspired by them every day. And yes, it's a very happy workplace as the smiling never stops.

Thank you once again for sharing with us your stay experience, I'm glad you had a wonderful time.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Raffles Makati, hopefully in the not too distant future.

Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

Raffles a luxurious oasis in the centre of Makati, is perfectly located within 2 mins walking distance of the infamous green belt & close to the main highway for day trips, the ideal spot to explore they city and beyond.
Prior to arriving we received an introductory welcome letter, outlining the hotels facilities and asking for our preferences with respect to bedding, dietary requirements, and whether we had any special requests or required spa or tour bookings. We were greeted on arrival not only with a welcome drink but by our butler who offered to unpack our luggage.
Our wonderfully appointed large junior suite was heavenly, from the enormous king sized bed with fine Egyptian cotton linen and feather pillows, to the large mobile free standing bath. The house keeping staff were particularly meticulous with both the daytime and evening room service and gave us a very heartfelt farewell when we finally left, as due to Typhoon Haiyan our onward journey was interrupted and so we extended our stay twice.
The hotel offers a very well equipped 24 hour fitness gym with the latest cardiovascular exercise machines, two our door swimming pools on separate floors, and a lovely spa with a variety of massage and beauty treatments.
Breakfast caters for all dietary whims, the staff were genuinely attentive and keen to please as were the knowledgable concierge team and reception staff. Afternoon tea in the Writers Library and evening cocktails were definite highlights not to be missed, as is discarding peanut shells in the Long Bar.
Raffles in Makati is a unique experience, one I would strongly recommend whether you are in Manila to relax and unwind or wanting to explore the city.

Room Tip: All are exceptional
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Penny,

Thank you very much for recommending Raffles Makati in your review, you are too kind. I'm glad that you find your stay experience with us unique and enjoyable.

I wish to thank you for giving us positive feedback on your overall stay. I'm happy to learn that you find our suite comfortable and that our recreational facilities were able to provide you relaxation. I'm also glad to know that our hotel colleagues were able to make you feel taken care of during your stay with us.

I do hope that on your next travel back to Manila, you will consider making Raffles Makati your home away from home once again.

Again, thank you for your valuable feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards

Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

Raffles is a relatively new hotel in the Philippines, supposedly rated 7stars, and located very near the malls, business centers, and other attractions. Lobby is understated but the suites, which occupy only 2 flrs in the building are excellent. Suite amenities are very good, with a roomy layout and restful ambiance. Breakfast, afternoon tea, and a pre-dinner reception are included in the price, but unfortunately, I was able to sample the breakfast only. There is a good selection of foods - Chinese, English, American, Filipino, cheese and cold cuts - and they even serve an excellent Eggs Benedict, with the poached egg's yolk soft but not runny. Service is outstanding, with friendly & helpful staff who do call you by name. Definitely a good option in its price range.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Chao,

Thank you for your very positive feedback on our suites and amenities. I'm glad that you had restful stay with us.

I wish to thank you as well for commending the service of our hotel colleagues, I'm happy that they were able to make you feel comfortable and well looked after.

Hopefully on your next stay with us, you will be able to try the Afternoon Tea and evening cocktails at Writers Bar for a complete Raffles stay experience.

Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Stayed for 5 nights in early October and found hotel location to be the best. We stayed in a 1 BR executive suite which was the best room I had stayed in considering I have been travelling to Manila several times a year for the last 20 years.It is pure luxury.
My only complaints would be there was some construction during our stay which we where not notified of however this was quickly address and we where happy to stay and not check out. Also although check in was prompt I was diappointed due to mthe following. Onced check in at our suite we where told our butler would be up to explain room amenities and answer any questions. the butler never arrived and we never saw a butler for our any of our stay.
I do normally stay at the Shangri La however due to the Shang being a little dated I will still book into this hotel on my next trip.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Don,

Thank you for staying at Raffles Makati, we are always delighted to welcome new guests. I wish to thank you for taking the time to post your experience with us and I'm glad that your overall stay was comfortable and wonderful.

I was saddened to learn that you weren't extended a butler service during your stay. I apologise for this lapse and have already relayed this concern to our Rooms Division team for investigation. On you next stay with us, I'll make sure that you receive our legendary Raffles butler service.

I hope to welcome you and your family back soon.

Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

We celebrated my husband's birthday with a weekend stay at Raffles Makati recently.
The hotel is perfectly situated at the Ayala Center. It is flanked by Greenbelt and Glorietta Malls but maintains a quiet ambiance.
The hotel staff and management made our stay extra special. They surprised us with a room upgrade from a junior suite to an executive suite. It was one beautiful corner suite indeed! It was spacious and elegantly decorated, yet very comfortable and made us felt at home. There was even a lovely birthday cake and greeting card for my husband.
The staff handled everything - check-in/check-out, high tea, evening cocktails, breakfast, room service, and lunch with our family - flawlessly. We felt absolutely pampered.
Thank you, Raffles Makati, for giving us a wonderful experience. We could not have asked for more.

CD

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Raffles_FairmontPH, Hotel Manager at Raffles Makati, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear Clarizza,

Wishing your husband a belated happy birthday.

Thank you very much for celebrating his special day at Raffles Makati. It always gives us great pleasure to be part of our guests' special occasions. I'm glad that my hotel colleagues were able to make it extra special for him and your family.

I wish to thank you as well for giving kind and generous feedback on our accommodations, service and facilities. I'm glad that you enjoyed your culinary experience with us. On your next visit, whether your celebrating an occasion or not, I recommend that you try the Luxe Sunday Brunch at Spectrum. It's a wonderful gourmet adventure suited for the entire family!

Thank you once again for your positive feedback. I look forward to your next stay with us.

Lisbon, Portugal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

If you want to stay in a trendy place in Manila in a luxury hotel choose Raffles. One of the best i stayed and problably the best hotel in Manila. Everything is perfect, the room, the staff. Best of the best

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Sergio,

Thank you very much for your kind words about Raffles Makati, they are much appreciated.

I'm glad that we were able to provide you the best hotel stay experience during your visit to Manila. To be considered as perfection and referred to as your personal best is very humbling, we are honoured.

Thank you once again and we look forward to providing you the same level of service, and even better, on your next stay at Raffles Makati.

Hotel Manager

Been to Raffles Makati? Share your experiences!