“Voted best new hotel in the world 2013 - a very, very special place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Raffles Makati

Save Saved
You added Raffles Makati to your Saves list
Raffles Makati
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Raffles Drive, Makati Avenue, Makati, Luzon 1224, Philippines   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
25% off room rate
Ranked #1 of 66 hotels in Makati
UK
“Voted best new hotel in the world 2013 - a very, very special place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

The Raffles Makati is an incredible experience from start to finish. The hotel staff are incredibly friendly and hospitable. The rooms are extremely spacious and fully fitted out with all amenities - the individual coffee machine and chocolates is a great touch! The outdoor pool is perfect to get sole sun. The breakfast Buffett is huge and caters for eveyone. Simply the best hotel I have ever stayed in. Exclusive, modern and very special!

• Stayed August 2013
Raffles_FairmontPH, Hotel Manager at Raffles Makati, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Thank you very much for considering Raffles Makati very special place. It's always heartwarming and encouraging to be recognized as one by our guests.

I'm glad to learn that your overall stay experience with us was outstanding. Your gracious words are humbling, thank you! I'm delighted that the amenities in your suite, our breakfast and the exclusive outdoor swimming pool made your stay even more wonderful.

Again, thank you for your kind words and I look forward to your next visit.

Kind regards,

James Bevans
Hotel Manager

102 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Arabic first
Pasig-Ortigas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Am very pleased and glad to be back at Raffles Hotel Makati again for the second time in less than 3 months. Stayed at this grand epic 5-star hotel again for a longer time last August 17 - 21, 2013 for 4 nights / 5 days.

Tropical Storm "Maring" (Codename: Trami) was blowing in as I entered the hotel and during the whole duration of my stay there but failed to dampen my incredible experience and even gave me a chance to try many of the hotel's facilities this time around.

Since I've been here before, generally, my current review is very similar to my previous review so due to space limitations, I will just mention the highlights in outline form so as not to sound redundant because if I'm going to be detailed, there won't be enough words to describe the excellence and opulence this fantastic hotel has to offer.

Item # 1: My Current Junior Suite: SUITE 912 on the 9th Floor

Initially, they booked me in Suite 1010 on the 10th Floor during my reservation 2 weeks prior to my stay. But they must've later discovered that Suite 1010 is a Smoking Room and placed me in this suite because I requested for a non-smoking room. Good call though I wish they'd informed me sooner as the 10th Floor generally has a better view.

My Junior Suite had the same amenities as my last Junior Suite except for a few changes. The huge bathroom had only 1 window as opposed to 2 panoramic windows I had in my previous suite, thereby making this one look smaller. There's now a very bright reading light located on the ceiling directly above my study table, thereby making it easier for me to read without much eye strain. The new study table had no scratches on it and the surface was very smooth and the style classical. The bed now faces in the other direction, and the best improvement of all is my new butler took the time and the effort to tie thick towels over the 2 bedposts as I often had a knack for bumping and bruising my knee in my previous suite as I would often underestimate the exact distance as the bedposts jut out and are not in the same length as the bed itself. This time, am very glad that they took the effort to correct it. =) No more accidents.

The soundproofing material in my Suite is excellent! Even during the blowing windstorm and rain, it felt absolutely quiet inside my suite and I didn't realize the rain outside was so bad until I looked outside my window. My Suite was indeed very quiet, offering me seclusion from the noise of the storm and a good night's sleep every night!

Item # 2: Writer's Bar

Very classical, stylish, cozy, quiet and elegant bar whether day or night. Great place to relax and read a book or have Afternoon Tea as its complimentary. The deliciously sweet Earl Grey Tea is a must-try here at Raffles Hotel Makati. I drank the whole pot at Writer's Bar. Great tea! The afternoon tea snack tray is 6 levels high piled with macarons, cakes, muffins, breads, assorted finger foods and other sweet stuff. There's no way I could finish all of this but better to have too much food than to have too little, I always say. The Indian guy at the table next to mine probably saw my tray piled so high with so much food that he asked the waitress if he could take a raincheck, probably realizing he couldn't possibly finish the food and just settled for the warm calming tea.

Item # 3: Spectrum Restaurant

The main official dining jewel of Raffles Hotel Makati where everything from breakfast to lunch to snacks to liquor to dinner is being served almost at all hours of the day or night. As I mentioned in my previous column, breakfast at Spectrum offers a wide selection of foods to die for. Just by looking at the daily selection, you'd wish you had 10 stomachs to swallow all this great food! Everything from pancakes, waffles, bacon, garlic rice, dimsum, bread, cereal, honey, juices, etc. they're all here! But they scrimped on the apple juice on the buffet table this time though. You have to order it from the waiter or waitress at no charge and they'll give you either green apple juice or the tetra pack apple juice. The glass case of bees decorating the one wall of the Spectrum serves all kinds of honey, also a great place to take pictures, which I did. A nice touch. =)

This time, I tried the dinner buffet at Spectrum. Unlike breakfast, dinner is not complimentary but the price is not so bad considering the equally gigantic selection of food available for dinner. It's PhP 1,700 per person during my stay in August 2013. For this amount (which many people consider great value compared to other 5-star hotels), you get prime roast beef, turkey, rib-eye steaks, beef pot roast, dimsum, veggies, chicken, bread, several flavors of ice cream, etc. I could go on and on. For drinks, sodas are not included in this price. Separate price of PhP 180 per soda. A shame because I'm a big fan of sodas. But coffee and tea and are included in the buffet price, including my favorite Earl Grey Tea. =) Drank another whole pot! Kudos to Raffles for the breakfast and dinner buffet!

Sunday Brunch is also served at Spectrum although I often eat so much at the breakfast, I'm still so too full to eat any lunch. Sunday Brunch is divided into 2 categories: The one with free-flowing Champagne and the one without. The one without will set you back PhP 2,777 per head and the one with free Champagne will cost you a staggering PhP 3,888 per head. (For more details, check out my pic of the Sunday Brunch advertisement.)

Item # 4: The Long Bar

As I previously mentioned, named after Singapore's famous Long Bar, this one seats 20 people at the bar. Also a great place to relax and unwind with band playing almost every night and Charlie Chaplin movies showing on the widescreen TV at the bar and a sports game showing on the other side of the bar. There's again that classical feel. Bartenders are all male except for Jenny Lopez, the only female bartender in the group.

For those of you who like chatting while relaxing at the Long Bar, look for Von or Jenny. They make great conversationalists and are friendly enough to explain to you in detail about the Long Bar features.

This time around, the Long Bar has a lunch promo menu. The Long Bar Burger accompanied by Caesar's Salad for PhP 995 exclusive of taxes and other charges. A bit pricey considering it's only a burger. Long Bar also serves steak fritties, sandwiches and the like from 12 Noon to 3 PM daily. Check out my picture of the Long Bar advertisement.

I tried the Long Bar during my first visit to Raffles. Was tempted to try it again this time but didn't as I felt the food selection is not that wide as other restaurants. But if you wanna have a drink and just listen to some music, then the Long Bar is certainly the best place!

Item # 5: The Willow Stream Spa

First and foremost, if you're staying in ANY of the Suites of Raffles Hotel Makati, use of the hot bath jacuzzi is FREE OF CHARGE as long as the Spa is open. Another great perk of being in the suites! =) Didn't try this on my first stay and was happy I got to try it this time around.

The Willow Stream Spa is the probably the biggest and most fully-equipped Spa I have ever been to in my life. With friendly staff at the reception desk, numerous individual massage rooms, separate area for males and females, grand locker room with secure lockers, countless shower rooms, a steam room and of course, the great jacuzzi, this Spa is a must-try for those of you who are addicted to jacuzzi or to massage.

Water in the jacuzzi is around a little higher than 4 feet deep for me standing up and when I'm sitting down, the water is up to my lower neck. Very hot, water at 40 degrees Celcius with new fresh water being jettisoned from several holes in the tub. Ask the attendant to cut the fresh water temporarily to give the water time to cool a bit before plunging in. Go in slowly, feet first, then legs, then the rest of your body in order to gradually adjust your body temperature to the heat. Very relaxing and soothing to my body! Felt my tense muscles loosen and relax after the jacuzzi. =)

Read the rules posted on the wall before going into the jacuzzi. Shower first, don't stay in the hot water for more than 20 minutes or you'll feel numb and blood will rush to your head. People with sickness shouldn't even go near the jacuzzi. Luckily, I'm generally healthy I enjoyed the jacuzzi thoroughly - TWICE!

I also took the time to try out the Relaxation Massage for 60 minutes for a whopping price of PhP 3,200 per massage. The female therapist was very good and she readily agreed to use only light pressure upon my request. Massage was relaxing but nothing special compared to other massages I've tried. Methinks 90 percent of the price goes to the upkeep and maintenance of this very posh and elegant Spa.

Locker room for men is fantastic. Inside each individual locker you have your own bathrobe, rubber slippers, clothes hangers, a bottle of water. Very well equipped and complete. Protecting your personal belongings in your locker is an electronic lock with 4-digit combination.

Item # 6: Business Center

Fast reliable internet connection here on the 2nd Floor of Fairmont Hotel as Raffles and Fairmont share the same Business Center. Just mention your room number to the girl on duty and you get to use the internet free of charge during your stay at either hotel. Not many people visit this place as it's located at the extreme end side of Fairmont Hotel beside the huge ballrooms. I don't use laptops so I found the business center internet connection to be very fast and secure for checking my accounts online.

Item # 7: Security at Raffles

Most people overlook this but I'm very perceptive so I realize many things that most people often overlook.

Although security at Raffles Hotel Makati is laudable, but I noticed one night when I was out and the guard greeted me that the security guard was completely protected from the pouring rain by his long raincoat and hat but his bomb-sniffing dog (a black Labrador) was soaking wet in the dredging rain standing dutifully beside him while waiting to examine incoming vehicles. Being an animal lover, I felt very sorry for the poor dog. Security is good but it shouldn't come at the expense of our furry friends in the animal kingdom. Don't you agree? Please address this!

Item # 8: Parking at Raffles

Exceptionally huge and well-lighted and secure parking area that offers plenty of space to park your vehicle even with plenty of cars this time around. I parked in Slot R-53, just a couple of steps from where I parked the last time.

Finally, what's Raffles without the people who work so hard to make my stay enjoyable?

The Gorgeous Raffles Ladies, led by the lovely and statuesque Assistant Front Desk Manager Patricia "Patty" Bautista, the ever beautiful Liezl "Lizzie" Tianco, Joyce Bernal, Agatha Valera, Cindy Pimentel, Kristine Bautista, Carmen Ortiz, Shiela (of Spectrum) and Supervisor Jehziel Uy (of Spectrum).

Patty: For handling my booking and making sure my suite was okay and for the box of macarons.

Lizzie: For being of great service to me with minor requests thru Housekeeping and for handling my check-out so quickly and efficiently as always.

Joyce: For giving me and my guests at the hotel extended period of visit even if they arrived past 12 Midnight and left at 2 AM without hesitation.

Agatha: For helping Patty with my booking 2 weeks prior to my stay and for taking the energy to count the stack of money I laid on the Front Desk when I was paying in full for my reservation. =)

Kristine: I don't know her too well although she gave me a beautiful smile during one of my encounters with her at the Front Desk. Cute girl.

Cindy: She wasn't my butler this time around but took the time to chat with me while waiting for me at the elevator banks during my first night. Hope she can be my butler again for Raffles Part 3!

Shiela (of Spectrum): Deserves 5-star rating for being so friendly with me and took the time to chat with me and explain to me in detail about the dinner buffet at Spectrum. Gave me quick and excellent service, bringing me my favorite Earl Grey Tea and assorted dimsum with a ready smile and an easy candor about her. Saw her again at breakfast the next day. She's so efficient and really so dedicated to her work! Double Cheers to this lady! =)

Jehziel Uy: I don't know if I got her first name right but unlike other supervisors of other hotels who act all high-and-mighty, this lovely lady even took the time and the effort to serve me the dimsum that I had requested for right at my table without any frills. She had a ready smile and easy demeanor, discovered she was part-Chinese and chatted with her for quite awhile during my dinner buffet. She was constantly inspecting the buffet spread and going to and from the kitchen so I knew she must be very hard-working and busy. So efficient and dedicated! A shame I couldn't remember her exact first name but she truly deserves 5-star rating here! Kudos to you! Wow!

A Big Thanks to my butler Dennis this time around for exerting the extra effort to cushion the bedposts of my suite and preparing my suite with the help of 4 hotel engineers who cleared the air ducts and fixed the aircon to make it so cool in my suite!

Last but not least, A Big Thanks to the Hotel General Manager, Mr. James Bevans, for keeping all of us guests updated and informed during the storm by sending letters to our rooms! It shows that your hotel is very concerned for the safety of all your guests. Cheers to you!

Once again, another experience at Raffles Hotel Makati worth remembering! Kudos!

See You All In Raffles Part 3!

Room Tip: Choose a Suite on the corner to make it bigger.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Dear Hitoshi,

Welcome back to your home in Makati! I'm glad that it didn't take too long for you to return. It always gives us great joy to welcome back patrons.

Thank you once again for sharing with us your valuable thoughts and feedback, it gives us great pleasure to read your reviews.

I have shared your heartwarming comments to the team and all concerned departments. They wish to extend their sincerest thank you for your kind words, especially those you've commended individually such as Patty, Liezel, Joyce, Agatha, Cindy, Kristine, Carmen, Shiela, Jehziel and Dennis.

While we appreciate your praises, we also value your suggestions. We have taken note of your recommendations and are now thinking of ways to address them. As a patron of the hotel, your feedback is much appreciated as it allows us to recognize areas that need improvements and adjustments.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your second experience with us. I look forward to part 3!

Kind regards,

James Bevans
Hotel Manager
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I recently stayed at the Raffles Makati for two weeks on business. I had previously stayed at the sister property, Fairmont and had an outstanding time so was truly looking forward to the stay at the Raffles.

Being on a trip for two weeks, the theme and room of Raffles is very welcoming for long stays. It feels more like a residence then a hotel, very homey and comfortable which is welcoming for trips where you are away from home for a long time.

Check in is personal and fast, the staff takes you to your room to complete the process which very quick and allows you to get situated and comfortable after a long flight which is truly welcoming. The hotel property is spotless and grand, everything in Raffles is designed to make you feel at home and comfortable. Getting around is easy to navigate and going from the lobby to your room is a breeze.

Once in the room I was amazed. The room was a junior suite but don't let the name junior fool you, there is enough room to play basketball in it. The room was is decorated and designed in a way to make you feel at home. There is a separate dining and living area when you first walk in where you can relax or have some coffee. The bedroom is a very nice size with high ceilings and lots of room with well thought out and placed furnishings. You will want to try and figure out a way to take the bed home with you because the bed and linens are some of the best I have had anywhere, I slept like a rock every single night. The bathroom is massive and spacious with a separate tub and rain shower with dual vanities. Leading to the bathroom from the bedroom is a hallway that has your closet and plenty of drawers for clothes.

I can't say enough about the way the room is designed, laid out and decorated. It truly felt like I was home the entire time and made two weeks away so much more enjoyable.

The facilities at Raffles are first rate from the private pool on the 9th floor which is amazing to the fitness facility to the spa, everything is awesome. I really enjoyed Cafe Macaron where I set up my morning office each day to have coffee and work, its really comfortable. The Writers Bar is a great place to unwind after a long day with 1st rate service and environment. The only little downside was the breakfast buffet which was inconsistent at best, having been spoiled by the Shangri-La breakfast buffet, the one at Fairmont/Raffles falls short in selection and quality. The service of course is great but the food leaves a little to be desired..not very good.

I cant finish without a word about the staff, I have never met a collection of such wonderfully trained, professional, helpful and friendly staff at any hotel I have ever stayed at anywhere in the world. There was not one person in either Raffles or the Fairmont that didn't go out of their way to make my stay perfect. Some stand outs that come to mind was my friend at the bell desk who seemed like he never went home because anytime I ever need anything (even sometimes reading my mind when I needed something) he was there even magically appearing at the airport to help me take my bags inside, thank you so much !! My housekeeper was the best ever, working strange hours she always knew when I was up and seamlessly cleaned the room at whatever hour I was awake and out. Everyone in the Writer's Bar was wonderful and the front desk staff is awesome.

Probably one of the best stays I have had in 10 years with only the Fairmont Makati coming in a close second which is owned and is in the same building. It is obvious that this hotel has figured out and mastered the art of running a first class property.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Although we only had 1 day at Raffles Makati, it was a wonderful time. We were coming from NYC to visit the Philippines and our last stop was Raffles. It was also our 15 year anniversary and prior to the trip, I worked with Tristan Macam, one of their concierge there, who made our trip special. He booked our restaurant, arranged transportation to and from the hotel and was always there for us. Our butler Dennis, drew a bubble bath, candles and flowers when we got back to our room. This hotel offers WHITE GLOVE treatment. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Cavite City, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

It was a blast as a birthday gift courtesy of my daughter. Every moment was like a dream come true for me and my family as well. well secure and feel safe..Hoping in the future we will be back again....

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I'm inlove with this Hotel. I have stayed in a different hotel within the Philippines, Raffles Hotel is the best hotel I ever experience. The room is so beautiful and so elegant. They have comfortable bed, the bathroom was so huge. The facilities was extremely great! The staff was very polite and very helpful. They're always willing to help. The food is excellent and very delicious. All in all if you're looking for a luxurious and elegant Hotel for business or pleasure, Raffles Hotel is the one. Thank you Raffles Makati

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Negros Island, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

I write this review based on the fact this is a luxury, high end hotel. Having stayed in quite a number of hotels in Makati over the years, we thought we'd give this new hotel a try.

If you are looking for a classy, well run and luxurious hotel for business or pleasure this is the one you want. It easily beats the competition in Makati - I haven't stayed at the Fairmont, so maybe I am wrong on this! The pre-arrival assistance and customer service is really excellent, they make a special effort to ensure your stay will be as good as it can be.

The staff are friendly, efficient and knowledgable - always looking to help you which I loved! The long bar is chilled out and the cocktails are exceptional. The one thing that made me think twice about the quality, was the buffet breakfast. Don't get me wrong, the restaurant is lovely, and the breakfast was extensive, but it just wasn't as good as I hoped it to be. But this really is bottom of the barrel stuff. We did order breakfast to our room one morning, pre-ordered the night before, and it was perfect.

The Junior Suite was exactly what we needed. The beds were extremely comfortable, and room service efficient. I could certainly live in one of these! Very comfortable indeed.

We didn't make it to the spa, or the pool unfortunately so I can't comment on these.

All in all, worth every penny. Would go back in a flash.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Raffles Makati? Share your experiences!