“Beautiful property. Very quiet.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fairmont Makati

You added Fairmont Makati to your Saves list
Fairmont Makati
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Raffles Drive, Makati Avenue | Corner Arnaiz Street, Makati, Luzon, Philippines   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Seasonal Saver- 15% off!
Ranked #2 of 72 Hotels in Makati
Texas
“Beautiful property. Very quiet.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed here recently for about a week. The property is six months old, very beautiful, and very upscale. It's also very quiet and spa-like. I noted that the finishes, such as natural stone flooring, walls, etc. were absolutely beautiful. The staff was extremely friendly and gracious. In typical Philippine fashion, every employee greets you warmly at every encounter. And the staff was extremely attentive. In this regard, I think they might have been overly attentive. I'm quite sure they are trained and instructed to be so. But it did become a little intrusive. I noticed it primarily when dining. I also felt overly-attended when using the steam room. The attendant checked on my every five minutes. It took the relaxation out of the experience. There is one restaurant in the hotel. This is different that other hotels in the area with multiple choices. However, I found it very good and found enough variety to keep it interesting. If you are looking for a quiet experience, this is your place. If you're looking for a more exciting and vibrant venue, you might try the property down the street.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Raffles_FairmontPH, Manager at Fairmont Makati, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for making Fairmont Makati your home during your weeklong visit. I’m glad that we were able to provide peace and comfort during your stay.

I wish to thank you for your positive feedback on the hotel’s interiors and design, as well as your gracious commendation on our colleagues. I have taken note however of your comment in regards to a number of occasions when you felt overly attended to. Please note that I have shared this feedback with the concerned department heads.

I’m glad that you were able to dine at Spectrum. On your next visit, please try the Writers Bar for Afternoon Tea and Long Bar for power lunches or evening cocktail drinks. Both dining outlets are located at Raffles Makati which is in the same building of Fairmont Makati.

I wish to thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

When I travel through Manila, I usually stay at the New World just across the street but this is a new hotel and I wanted to check it out. We weren't disappointed. It sits in a prime location in Makati within 5 minutes of all the prime shopping areas. The lobby sits on a podium above the street so it further creates the illusion of leaving the bustle of Makati as you enter. The entrance is awkward by foot and is definitely designed for cars. The grand lobby is filled with helpful (almost overhelpful) and friendly staff.

The hotel is nicely decorated and laid out. The rooms are very spacious and has all the amenities you could think of in a hotel room. There are power outlets everywhere that are easily accessible including ones by the bedside that are not hidden underneath but on the tables themselves. The desk also has easily accessible outlets and network plugs for internet.
Extremely well thought out. The beds were very comfortable. Set your alarms to the loudest setting or you'll miss the day.

The pool area was very nice and is large enough to do small laps. The day we were there in February, they were shooting promotional photos so some of the pool was inaccessible for some time but we didn't mind. We were the only ones there lounging. The fitness center looks good too although we didn't use.

Overall an excellent luxury hotel. I would definitely return.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experience at Fairmont Makati. I’m delighted to learn that your stay with us was excellent.

I wish to thank you for your understanding when the hotel was in the middle of a facilities photo shoot. I’m glad that it didn’t get in the way and that you were still able to enjoy the swimming pool area.

Thank you for your kind feedback on our beds and the convenience our guest rooms provide. On your next visit, I do invite you to try our fitness center and our spa. Take the time as well to try our dining outlets.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and I hope to welcome you back soon.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

The Fairmont Hotel is a beautiful facility that is five-star almost all the way. It is perfect for a local staycation or world-class vacation but a little less than ideal for meetings.

This wonderful new facility has an exceptional location in the Makati business district. Walking distance from the gorgeous Greenbelt and Landmark malls, it is great for weekend shopping or fine dining.

Part of the prestigious Raffles group, the rooms do not disappoint. My suite was spacious, comfortable and classy. It is kitted out with the latest gear letting you plug in any of your HD devices directly into the room's entertainment system. Some of my friends found the lighting system a little tricky but it is fairly intuitive (you have to cycle through the switches to go through a variety of dim and brightness settings), Their bed is probably among the most comfortable I've ever slept in anywhere in the world.

The buffet and cafe are simply glorious. A rich selection of Filipino, Western and Asian fare should sate the most critical of palates.

The service is friendly and genuine. From the door to the hallways to the driver, everyone respectfully greets you and asks how they can make your stay better. The concierge and front desk staff is both efficient and easy on the eyes.

The meeting rooms were well-lit, comfortable and the staff was always on hand to try and help.

Unfortunately, the advanced high technology in the conference room truly let us down. The image from their built-in projector was washed out. Our presentations were ruined because it was so difficult to distinguish colors or read any text. When we asked the staff to help, they weren't familiar with the wall console. They always inadvertently turned on the built in entertainment system which they had trouble turning off. For extra fun in the Philippines, the default channel was a classic Filipino channel playing black & white musicals.

In the end, the positives did overwhelm the negatives and we managed to have a successful workshop. Our discriminating visitors from Asia and America genuinely enjoyed their stay and we did get the job done. Would love to have another business trip at the Fairmont again... but hopefully I won't have to bring our own projector.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Joseph,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Fairmont Makati.

I would like to thank you for your great feedback on our rooms. I’m glad that our amenities and the bed made your stay convenient and more comfortable.

I’m happy to know that you were able to enjoy the food at Spectrum. I will share with our chefs your commendation.

Thank you as well for favoring our service. I’m delighted to learn that our colleagues were able to make you feel at home.

In regards to your unfortunate experience in our meeting room, I have already shared this with our Engineering team so they can make adjustments immediately. I appreciate your input as it allows us to further improve on our facilities and services.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and I hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Oakland, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

We usually stay at EDSA Shangri-La when visiting, but will now be staying at the Fairmont from now on. What can I say, both hotel and staff are excellent. Understandably the hotel is new, but the place is immaculately clean and all public areas were constantly been attended to and cleaned. The breakfast is great, I recommend adding the breakfast when booking, well worth it. I can't praise the staff enough, they made us feel welcome, they were attentive without being intrusive and professional all around. Other hotels should take lessons from them on guest services. Our two kids enjoyed the pool and the SPA rivals those at the Four Seasons. Hotel is literally across Glorietta so entertainment and dining options are not an issue. Again, can't say enough about the staff, Filipino hospitality at its best!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your experience. I’m delighted to learn that you have enjoyed your stay and now consider Fairmont Makati as your hotel of choice when your travels take you to Manila.

I wish to thank you for your positive feedback on our guest service. I’m glad that our colleagues were able to make you and your family feel taken care of. Thank you as well for your commendation on our breakfast. On your next visit, please do try our Luxe Sunday Brunch at Spectrum, I’m certain that your family will enjoy it especially your two children.

I’m also happy to know that you enjoyed your treatment at Willow Stream Spa, thank you for your holding it in high regard.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and I hope to welcome you and your family very soon.

Oakland, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

I had a very good six-day stay at this hotel on a business trip to Manila in March. (For those of you unfamiliar with the city, Makati is the central business district with Metro Manila being the overall metropolitan area of something like 15 million people. To confuse things a bit further, there is a city of Manila that is part of overall Metro Manila.) Beautiful hotel, great and friendly service, very comfortable and quiet rooms - it checks all the boxes. Filipinos are wonderfully jovial people generally, though sometimes service can be so relaxed that efficiency can suffer somewhat. But the Fairmont combines friendliness and efficiency very well.

Because I was pretty busy with work, I didn't get to check out features such as the pool at all or the food very much, so I can't comment on those.

Especially since I used to live in Manila and have been back several times over the years, it was nice to see this excellent addition to the city's hotel scene.

Anyway, a few additional points I'd make:

1. The Fairmont is in the same building as the Raffles Hotel, with IIRC the Raffles floors being above the Fairmont's (or at least I think I think I recall it correctly - not positive). In any event, this means that in addition to the very pleasant Fairmont lobby area you have access inside the building to the even nicer Fairmont lobby (I believe called the Library, after the original Raffles in Singapore) and a nice bar in the Raffles.
2. The Fairmont is also just five or ten minute walk away from the Greenbelt shopping area, which has loads of outside/inside restaurants and cafes in a pretty pleasant setting (certainly by Manila standards, though the city is no Paris, to put it mildly). Lots of shops in this and other nearby malls as well. (And some restaurants even closer than Greenbelt.) It's worth checking out for a change of pace. And for those not familiar with the Philippines, the hygienic standards are fine so eating in this area (and most other parts of the country) holds no health hazards.
3. By virtue of my Fairmont status, by using a room upgrade certificate I got what was billed as a nicer room than the standard (which is itself very fine). But the only thing that was nicer about the upgrade was that it had very high ceilings. Plus it's on a lower floor. So I switched rooms back to a standard on a higher floor. Bottom line is not to bother burning such certificates on an upgrade there.
4. The hotel was nice enough to cancel my use of the room upgrade certificate, but it took a few days to confirm that the certificate was back in my account.
5. One caution I'd offer is that Manila traffic is often horrible, particularly but by no means only during the rainy season. (March, when I was there, was dry, but the traffic was still atrocious.) So if you have appointments in other parts of town, you might want to consider staying closer to those meetings.
6. The staff makes such a deliberate (but by no means phony) effort to be friendly that it can be just a bit too much in terms of their asking you how you are, etc. This didn't bother me at all, but people preferring a more reserved style might be a bit put off.
7. Very good, large fitness center, though I don't recall how extensive the weight machine options were.

Bottom line is that I'd highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing with us your experience. I’m delighted to learn that you selected Fairmont Makati as your home in Manila during your six-day business trip.

I wish to thank you for your positive feedback on our friendly service and the comfort that our rooms provide. Your high recommendation is much appreciated as well.

On your next visit, I hope you’ll be able to take the time to visit our recreational facilities such as our swimming pool and spa, plus our dining outlets. For casual dining, please visit Spectrum located on the ground floor of Fairmont Makati. For signature cocktail drinks, I invite you to visit the Long Bar located on the Raffles side.

Again, thank you for your feedback and I hope to welcome you back soon.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Thank you to all involved with our stay at Fairmont Makati.

From the moment we walked into the hotel until the sad day we had to leave, we received nothing but the best from all your employees, from the conceirge team to the delightful team in the Fairmont Gold Lounge.
(special mention to Mark - Duty manager and Ella - Fairmont Gold Lounge) - your service goes above and beyond what I am sure is expected of you. You are both an absolute credit to the hotel, thank you to you both.

We stayed in a fairmont gold corner suite. The room was huge, with a seperate living area to the bedroom and a large and spacious bathroom. We absolutely loved the room and were so comfortable at times, it was an issue for us to actually leave the room.

The added extras that come with the Fairmont Gold club are exceptional. Certainly worth the extra. We had breakfast each morning in the lounge, greeted by the friendly staff - which only had us coming back for more in the afternoon and evening.

The hotels overall amenities are also a high standard, with pool area, spa and restaurant area. We can also recommend the room service for those times you dont want to leave your room!

The hotel is a short 2 minute walk across to the Greenbelt shopping areas and restaurants.

Thank you Fairmont Makati for making our honeymoon stay such a memorable one!
We will be back some day - hopefully soon!

Room Tip: Treat yourself and stay within the Fairmont Gold club. The service is impecable and the added extras...