I had a very good six-day stay at this hotel on a business trip to Manila in March. (For those of you unfamiliar with the city, Makati is the central business district with Metro Manila being the overall metropolitan area of something like 15 million people. To confuse things a bit further, there is a city of Manila that is part of overall Metro Manila.) Beautiful hotel, great and friendly service, very comfortable and quiet rooms - it checks all the boxes. Filipinos are wonderfully jovial people generally, though sometimes service can be so relaxed that efficiency can suffer somewhat. But the Fairmont combines friendliness and efficiency very well.
Because I was pretty busy with work, I didn't get to check out features such as the pool at all or the food very much, so I can't comment on those.
Especially since I used to live in Manila and have been back several times over the years, it was nice to see this excellent addition to the city's hotel scene.
Anyway, a few additional points I'd make:
1. The Fairmont is in the same building as the Raffles Hotel, with IIRC the Raffles floors being above the Fairmont's (or at least I think I think I recall it correctly - not positive). In any event, this means that in addition to the very pleasant Fairmont lobby area you have access inside the building to the even nicer Fairmont lobby (I believe called the Library, after the original Raffles in Singapore) and a nice bar in the Raffles.
2. The Fairmont is also just five or ten minute walk away from the Greenbelt shopping area, which has loads of outside/inside restaurants and cafes in a pretty pleasant setting (certainly by Manila standards, though the city is no Paris, to put it mildly). Lots of shops in this and other nearby malls as well. (And some restaurants even closer than Greenbelt.) It's worth checking out for a change of pace. And for those not familiar with the Philippines, the hygienic standards are fine so eating in this area (and most other parts of the country) holds no health hazards.
3. By virtue of my Fairmont status, by using a room upgrade certificate I got what was billed as a nicer room than the standard (which is itself very fine). But the only thing that was nicer about the upgrade was that it had very high ceilings. Plus it's on a lower floor. So I switched rooms back to a standard on a higher floor. Bottom line is not to bother burning such certificates on an upgrade there.
4. The hotel was nice enough to cancel my use of the room upgrade certificate, but it took a few days to confirm that the certificate was back in my account.
5. One caution I'd offer is that Manila traffic is often horrible, particularly but by no means only during the rainy season. (March, when I was there, was dry, but the traffic was still atrocious.) So if you have appointments in other parts of town, you might want to consider staying closer to those meetings.
6. The staff makes such a deliberate (but by no means phony) effort to be friendly that it can be just a bit too much in terms of their asking you how you are, etc. This didn't bother me at all, but people preferring a more reserved style might be a bit put off.
7. Very good, large fitness center, though I don't recall how extensive the weight machine options were.
Bottom line is that I'd highly recommend this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in Makati’s prestigious commercial business district is a tower of 30 floors - the luxurious Fairmont Makati, a hotel with 280 elegantly appointed guest rooms and suites including Fairmont Gold, our exclusive lifestyle hotel experience. This luxury Makati City hotel features six restaurants and lounges, over 1,700 sq m of versatile meeting and function space, including a 859 square meter ballroom accommodating up to 720 diners. Relax and re-energize in hotel’s Willow Stream Spa, one of the city’s most luxurious retreats, or the adjacent fitness centre and outdoor swimming pool. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, Despegar.com, Ctrip TA, TripOnline SA, EasyToBook, getaroom.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Fairmont Makati reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fairmont Makati Metro Manila