“Great hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fairmont Makati

You added Fairmont Makati to your Saves list
Fairmont Makati
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Raffles Drive, Makati Avenue | Corner Arnaiz Street, Makati, Luzon, Philippines   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
15% - 20% off Room Rates
Ranked #2 of 67 Hotels in Makati
Oakland, CA
“Great hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

I had a very good six-day stay at this hotel on a business trip to Manila in March. (For those of you unfamiliar with the city, Makati is the central business district with Metro Manila being the overall metropolitan area of something like 15 million people. To confuse things a bit further, there is a city of Manila that is part of overall Metro Manila.) Beautiful hotel, great and friendly service, very comfortable and quiet rooms - it checks all the boxes. Filipinos are wonderfully jovial people generally, though sometimes service can be so relaxed that efficiency can suffer somewhat. But the Fairmont combines friendliness and efficiency very well.

Because I was pretty busy with work, I didn't get to check out features such as the pool at all or the food very much, so I can't comment on those.

Especially since I used to live in Manila and have been back several times over the years, it was nice to see this excellent addition to the city's hotel scene.

Anyway, a few additional points I'd make:

1. The Fairmont is in the same building as the Raffles Hotel, with IIRC the Raffles floors being above the Fairmont's (or at least I think I think I recall it correctly - not positive). In any event, this means that in addition to the very pleasant Fairmont lobby area you have access inside the building to the even nicer Fairmont lobby (I believe called the Library, after the original Raffles in Singapore) and a nice bar in the Raffles.
2. The Fairmont is also just five or ten minute walk away from the Greenbelt shopping area, which has loads of outside/inside restaurants and cafes in a pretty pleasant setting (certainly by Manila standards, though the city is no Paris, to put it mildly). Lots of shops in this and other nearby malls as well. (And some restaurants even closer than Greenbelt.) It's worth checking out for a change of pace. And for those not familiar with the Philippines, the hygienic standards are fine so eating in this area (and most other parts of the country) holds no health hazards.
3. By virtue of my Fairmont status, by using a room upgrade certificate I got what was billed as a nicer room than the standard (which is itself very fine). But the only thing that was nicer about the upgrade was that it had very high ceilings. Plus it's on a lower floor. So I switched rooms back to a standard on a higher floor. Bottom line is not to bother burning such certificates on an upgrade there.
4. The hotel was nice enough to cancel my use of the room upgrade certificate, but it took a few days to confirm that the certificate was back in my account.
5. One caution I'd offer is that Manila traffic is often horrible, particularly but by no means only during the rainy season. (March, when I was there, was dry, but the traffic was still atrocious.) So if you have appointments in other parts of town, you might want to consider staying closer to those meetings.
6. The staff makes such a deliberate (but by no means phony) effort to be friendly that it can be just a bit too much in terms of their asking you how you are, etc. This didn't bother me at all, but people preferring a more reserved style might be a bit put off.
7. Very good, large fitness center, though I don't recall how extensive the weight machine options were.

Bottom line is that I'd highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Raffles_FairmontPH, Manager at Fairmont Makati, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for sharing with us your experience. I’m delighted to learn that you selected Fairmont Makati as your home in Manila during your six-day business trip.

I wish to thank you for your positive feedback on our friendly service and the comfort that our rooms provide. Your high recommendation is much appreciated as well.

On your next visit, I hope you’ll be able to take the time to visit our recreational facilities such as our swimming pool and spa, plus our dining outlets. For casual dining, please visit Spectrum located on the ground floor of Fairmont Makati. For signature cocktail drinks, I invite you to visit the Long Bar located on the Raffles side.

Again, thank you for your feedback and I hope to welcome you back soon.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Arabic first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Thank you to all involved with our stay at Fairmont Makati.

From the moment we walked into the hotel until the sad day we had to leave, we received nothing but the best from all your employees, from the conceirge team to the delightful team in the Fairmont Gold Lounge.
(special mention to Mark - Duty manager and Ella - Fairmont Gold Lounge) - your service goes above and beyond what I am sure is expected of you. You are both an absolute credit to the hotel, thank you to you both.

We stayed in a fairmont gold corner suite. The room was huge, with a seperate living area to the bedroom and a large and spacious bathroom. We absolutely loved the room and were so comfortable at times, it was an issue for us to actually leave the room.

The added extras that come with the Fairmont Gold club are exceptional. Certainly worth the extra. We had breakfast each morning in the lounge, greeted by the friendly staff - which only had us coming back for more in the afternoon and evening.

The hotels overall amenities are also a high standard, with pool area, spa and restaurant area. We can also recommend the room service for those times you dont want to leave your room!

The hotel is a short 2 minute walk across to the Greenbelt shopping areas and restaurants.

Thank you Fairmont Makati for making our honeymoon stay such a memorable one!
We will be back some day - hopefully soon!

Room Tip: Treat yourself and stay within the Fairmont Gold club. The service is impecable and the added extras...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Raffles_FairmontPH, Manager at Fairmont Makati, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
First, I wish to greet you best wishes on your marriage. I’m happy to learn that you decided to spend your honeymoon with us. I’m even more delighted to learn that we were able to make your stay memorable.

Thank you for your great commendations on our hotel colleagues, especially Mark and Ella. I’d be happy to share your message to the both of them.

I’m glad that you had a wonderful stay in our Suite and a great experience at the Fairmont Gold Lounge. Thank you as well for your positive feedback on our amenities, restaurants and recreational facilities.

I hope you will consider celebrating your first year anniversary at Fairmont Makati. We hope to welcome you again soon.

DKI Jakarta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

The location is perfect! Located at the heart of the Makati. Surrounded
By the best Malls in Manila which is Greenbelt and Glorietta Mall. The service is awesome! The room also nice, its spacious. It has reading lamp in each side of the bed. Stay here for 2 nights, one the best experience!

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
I’m glad to learn that you consider your stay at Fairmont Makati as one of the best.

I do hope that on your next return, you’ll stay longer with us so you can enjoy our restaurants, recreational facilities and the attractions surrounding the hotel.

Thank you for your positive feedback and I look forward to your return.

Seoul, South Korea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

It is hard to know where to begin with this review! Let me just start by stating that my stay here was the best experience of my life. The hotel is magnificent. The staff were so friendly, attentive, helpful, polite and well trained. The food was spectacular, and the room/view were outstanding. I loved the bathtub. The swimming pool on the 5th floor overlooking the city was also amazing, and celebrities regularly seem to drop by the hotel. My story is a little unique. I needed to attend to business on Friday in Manila, and was originally going to stay at a typical 3 star hotel. However, I decided that this would be the perfect time to propose to my g/f so I chose this hotel because she deserves the best. Even with high expectations, it was beyond my wildest dreams. Rey, the concierge, corresponded with me for weeks to arrange help me plan my proposal. He and the rest of the staff were fantastic. He booked a rooftop that was part of the raffles for me to propose. They had a 2 piece band serenade us, and video taped the whole proposal. The video is breathtaking, and can be seen on the hotel’s facebook page (check it out!). I sent Rey some pictures of my now fiancée and I, and he surprised us and had one blown up and framed with a complimentary bottle of champagne and chocolates to commemorate the occasion –a ll of which were waiting for us in our hotel room after our rooftop, sunset engagement. When we went to have our dinner at Spectrum, the menu also had pictures of us on every page. The individual attention was just amazing. Despite being very busy with their typical rich and famous clientele, practically every staff member came to individually congratulate us on our engagement. We felt like movie stars. The worst part about this hotel was leaving it, and coming back to reality. I wish we could have our wedding here, but it is an expensive place for a young couple. I just want to thank all the staff there, especially Rey, one more time, as they made our stay something to remember for a lifetime. Thanks again!

Room Tip: city or pool view would be best perhaps
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Paul,

I hope you and your fiancé are enjoying the wedding planning. Once again, I wish to extend my best wishes to you and Angelie.

Thank you very much for choosing Fairmont Makati as venue to your romantic proposal. We are glad, and privileged, to be part of such a special moment. And thank you for your commendation to Rey, I will send him your regards.

On behalf of Fairmont Makati, congratulations to you both. I hope you will consider coming back to our hotel celebrate your honeymoon or your first anniversary.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Truly remarkable property from head to toe.

Great property, rooms, decor, location and above all service.

Starting from the reception to housekeeping (Dennis) to In Room Dining to Restaurants (Monique), everyone was very pleasant and makes an effort to get to know their guests on a personal level.

Having stayed at several properties around the world, this one truly stands out as being a remarkable 5 star property.

Everything aspect is completed with extra detail and the modern and new feel (few months old) of the hotel goes miles. I hope that the service level remains the same over the years.

I would strongly recommend the Fairmont Makati to anyone visiting the Philippines!

• Stayed June 2013
I wish to extend to you my deepest gratitude for considering us as one of the hotels that stand out amongst five-star properties, especially since we’re quite new in the scene.

Thank you as well for highly recommending Fairmont Makati.

I’m glad to learn that you enjoyed every moment of your stay with us and most especially our service. I will share with Dennis and Monique your commendations.

Again, thank you for your feedback and I look forward to your return in the not too distant future.

NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

This is an excellent hotel. From the lobby to the pool/gym/spa, and rooms, it is aesthetically calming and welcoming. Room service was on time, if not early (although I suppose this changes with the occupancy rate), and my orders were always correct. The massage room that I used at the spa was spacious, and appointed with its own shower and toilet; the massage therapist was professional and followed directions perfectly. The location of the hotel is also very convenient: it is located directly across the street from the posh Greenbelt 4. Keep in mind that to get across the street, pedestrians must walk outdoors and up a flight of stairs to use an outdoor overpass, since there is not a pedestrian cross-walk at the corner where the hotel is located.

One thing I liked about the hotel is that the drop-off and pick-up area i.e. the entrance to the lobby is completely concealed from the street by a tall wall.

The beds were top-notch; what you would expect from a hotel of this caliber and price point.

The flaws I found w/the Fairmont had to do w/housekeeping and the front desk. Housekeeping consistently forgot to replace some of the in-room items that I used, such as the coffee mugs and the glasses--items that come with the room and, to my understanding, should always be replaced. When I checked out, the front desk person gave me another person's bill and, despite me asking a few different times, did not produce the two itemized bills that I asked for: one of the room charges, and the other of the incidentals.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing with us your experience at Fairmont Makati.

I wish to thank you for your positive feedback on the hotel’s facilities, guest room amenities, our in-room dining service and the spa. I’m glad that these experiences made your stay even more comfortable.

I have taken note of your comment on the replenishment of guest room amenities. This has already been shared with our Director of Housekeeping. Thank you as well for bringing to our attention your incident at the Front Desk, this too has already been shared with the concerned department.

Again, thank you for your feedback and I hope to welcome you back soon.

Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

Everything was up to the standard I experienced in May....I just wanted to add an extra comment. I had booked through booking.com, although now I have realised the deals on the Fairmont website are as good if not better. Anyway I booked a non refundable deal for 13 nights, then a friend invited me to join him in Singapore for two nights, I contacted the Fairmont to see whether they could refund, I was expecting a "no" but intact they allowed it...I was very happy!! I received the welcome email from them asking at what time would I arrive..I realised I had booked a day earlier than my flight was arriving. They replied saying they would credit my account with that too! Amazing...I am returning in one month!

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
It’s always wonderful to welcome returning guests and I’m glad that you continue to stay with us.

I’m also glad to learn that you are considering making your bookings directly from our website in the future.

Thank you for your patronage and we look forward to welcoming you back in July.

Hotel Manager

Been to Fairmont Makati? Share your experiences!