“Wonderful stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn & Suites Makati

You added Holiday Inn & Suites Makati to your Saves list
Holiday Inn & Suites Makati
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Glorietta 1, Palm Drive | Ayala Center, Makati, Luzon 1224, Philippines   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #6 of 67 Hotels in Makati
München
“Wonderful stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Just recently stayed 4 nights at this hotel instead of an initial choice in Bonificio. Compared to other reviews posted here, I can not confirm any lacks of service processes. The staff is pretty engaged to respond you wish . Although, I was sometimes amused about the number of staff being around, I am experienced enogh to identify quickly the "who is capable and rsponsible".
Therefore, I cannot complain about responsivness in whatever issue. Starting with airport pick-up and drop, check-in, billing or restaurant service, room service, all pretty fine for me.
Price can be discussed when comparing this Holiday Inn with other examples in Makati and I perceive it somewhat upper end of acceptable level.
Spa is nice and new and hopefully the offer remains at least on this quality.
The team at the bar for sure needs some more practice until the drinks are mixed from the top of their mind. Anyhow, Hope and Chrissie do their best to put some light ion the learning curve of their back end.

Room Tip: not necessarily next to the elevator, at the corner is certainly good, the higher the better to ov...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Jem S, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Makati, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear Caramellino,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review on TripAdvisor. We would also like to thank you for your kind words about our staffs. We are glad that you were satisfied with the level of service that you received whilst your stay.

I am very happy to report that our OZ Bar associates were given further training. The Food & Beverage Department is also looking into a possible cross-training with other InterContinental Hotels Group chain for them to be more knowledgeable in bar operations and to further develop their skills

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We hope to welcome you back at Holiday Inn & Suites Makati soon!

All the best,

Jemina S
Distribution and Relationship Marketing Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

I live in Singapore and was in Manila to attend a wedding during May 4-7. Based on a referral from a friend, I decided to stay at Holiday Inn (hism) for my first time. However, I do not think I will refer this hotel to others in future as I am getting very frustrated at how long it is taking for an overcharged telephone bill (which is an error with the hotel by the way) to be resolved. I was charged approximately 50USD for very brief calls (less than 2 minutes) made to local mobile number in Philippines.

Immediately upon checkout, I asked the front desk staff why the phone charges were so high. The front desk told me it was right and tried to explain it was because charges were made to a local mobile phone number instead of a landline. I found it hard to believe and a few hours later after checking phone rates with some local friends, I returned to the hotel and checked again with your staff. I spoke with another front desk staff this time on the matter and she said she would request the operator to check. The service was extremely slow. I waited for more than 30 minutes and had to leave as I was catching a flight in 2 hours. The staff then left me with an updated invoice with the correct phone bill amount and told me to wait for 2 weeks for the reimbursement to arrive.

Over a month has passed now and I have not yet received the reimbursement from the erroneous phone bill! Hope the hism staff has not forgotten to work on the refund! The worst part is I have to make several phone calls to the hotel at my own expense upon my return to check the status. Each time a different person tells me it's being worked and they will write back or call me and I never received the reply!

Net - very unreliable, unprofessional and really slow front desk service from a reasonably well known hotel chain! While the room in my stay @1207 was new and clean, i really doubt I will use this hotel again! Will rather pay more to be in the Peninsula!

And i pray that hism has invested in the correct telephone billing system by now to avoid any further inconvenience to guests!!

L Tan
Singapore

• Stayed May 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Makati, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Dear Eniarat,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at Holiday Inn & Suites Makati, Philippines. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Dhan M
Taipei, Taiwan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Finally we have a new hotel in the Makati area.

They just finished the hotel this year, can still smell the newness. Room is quite large. Not fancy but nice and clean. The staff are friendly.

Its adjacent to Glorietta so its quite convenient to get food. The mall facing room have a nice view of the Makati skyline as well as a not so nice view of the sheet metal roof of Glorietta.

There is a nice breakfast buffet, which is currently included as part of the opening special.

Dear vchiu,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review regarding your recent stay. We appreciate all feedback we receive and use it to help develop the product and the service we offer.

We are very pleased that you were satisfied with the amenities and services we have. We work very hard to ensure that our facilities and services are superior and we strive to be the best hotel in the area and it makes us happy to read that we somehow lived up to your expectations.

Once again, thank you for the kind words of praise. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Dhan M
Doha
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Very nice hotel , Great rooms , professional staff , the location of the hotel is excellent , located in Makati with few steps to green belt , galleria is next door , the hotel is having only one problem is the bath room water overflow.

Room Tip: take a room on the upper floors to avoid the noise of the construction around the hotel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

This hotel is just adjacent to a big mall, Glorietta. In fact, you don't have to go out of the hotel to enter the mall. There's this door which serves as a direct entrance from the hotel to the mall. Very convenient! The entire hotel smells new and is still very clean. Hope they keep this up.....One problem though was the drainage in our bathroom was not working. Thus, there was flooding of water. But the staff was very quick in resolving this. After we called, the plumber was at our door in less than 2 mins. And d bathroom was thereafter cleaned and dried by the service crew. Everything was back to normal in 15-20 mins! This quick response plus d very good service from d front desk, bell service and restaurant were enough to make up for the little hassle we had.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Zaynab A,

Thank you for your review following your stay at Holiday Inn & Suites Makati.

It is with delight to learn that you appreciate our hotel's location, dining offers and our associates' prompt and reliable service. I would also like to apologize for any inconvenience that the flooding in the bathroom may have caused you during your stay.

We hope to welcome to welcome you back soon.

Regards,

Jemina S
Distribution and Relationship Marketing Manager
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Recently my family and myself occupied 2 rooms in the Holiday Inn & Suites in Makati.

Unfortunately, our stay was not a pleasant one.

Numerous factors (outlined below) prevented us from from enjoying our stay at what we assumed to be a brand-new luxury hotel.

All all times of the day, there are between 8 and 12 (!) employees just loitering around at the entrance on the ground floor; most of the time doing nothing at all. Since they have nothing to do, they just stare at the guests - making us feel very uncomfortable every time we walked through the entrance.

The front desk/reception area seemed to be in a constant state of confusion: check in personnel running from one desk to another to use computers; check in personnel picking up phones to answer phones with room service questions during check in; disgruntled guests loudly complaining about inaccuracies on their bill, etc. In total, I only spent a few minutes at reception, but I counted 4 people who were complaining quite vehemently about their bill.

Probably as a result of this constant state of confusion, front desk takes ages to pick up their phone - if they pick up at all. I called them 3 times during my stay: 1 time they didn't pick up and 2 times it took 10+ rings before they picked up.

The rooms have very poor sound insulation. We could clearly hear the television in the next room and basically anything that happened in the hallway. One of the things that drove us mad every morning was room service loudly knocking (despite the presence of a doorbell) on every door and shouting: “Room Service: room check!” I stayed for 3 days and every morning I heard “Room Service: room check!” dozens of times. Why don't they just use the much more discrete doorbell? And what is a “room check”? I felt like I was in the barracks at the army, instead of a luxury hotel.

This lack of satisfactory sound isolation was aggravated by the fact that the area around the hotel is basically one big construction zone. We were on the 9th floor, but we could still very clearly hear the drilling down below. The construction work goes on 7 days a week by the way: we were there on a Sunday and there was not a moment of silence on that day either.

One of the rooms we stayed in had ridiculously dirty windows. You could barely see through them. I have attached pictures to further illustrate this matter.

The rooms smell like paint.

In both rooms, there was foul smelling musty air coming out of the air cons. The smell was so strong that we left the aircon off most of the time.

There are only 3 elevators servicing this whole hotel and they are slow. Very slow. This makes getting in and out of the hotel a time-consuming hassle. On top of that some of the elevators don't go to all floors. To make matters even worse, the elevator access card system is faulty, resulting in even more frustration. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't and you end up on the wrong floor. Even if it does work, the electronic voice will still say “This is a restricted floor”. On numerous occasions, I was in the elevator with guests who expressed their frustration with this system with expletives.

The rooftop bar is nicely designed (albeit surrounded by half finished skyscrapers) but the cocktails are atrocious and horribly over-priced. We had 7 cocktails and they basically all tasted the same: sweet. The questionable competence of the bartenders was further illustrated when I asked the waitress to bring me “something vodka-based and not too sweet”. She came back with a super sweet black russian. How original.

Room service displayed inconsistency in the preparation of the food: one day the orange juice is a nasty powder drink, the next day it’s freshly squeezed; one day the boiled eggs are over-done, the next day they are still completely liquid inside. Talking of juices, although the room service menu mentions melon, mango, orange and pineapple, in the 3 days I was there only orange juice was available.

I paid premium price expecting a 5-star experience, but instead I got disorganized service and sub-par facilities. As such, my suggestion is to...

...avoid this hotel at all cost!

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Kevin M,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am very sorry to read that you did not enjoy your overall experience with us due to the mishaps in the service received from our personnel and condition of the room's sound insulation. Your feedback has been noted and this will be used to consider enhancements needed at our property. We take the confidence our guests place in us to rectify unsatisfactory circumstances.

Pam G
Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Really liked the Hotel, just opened some weeks ago.
Location just in the middle of Makati beside all 5 Star Hotels and door by door to all Malls.
Swimming pool on Roof top with a great bar. Rooms so nice and staff very friendly.
The only thing the could safe Money, the Aircon is too cold in the Hotel. And for going out at nightime, well loacted for all your Needs.
Will come back by sure next time.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn & Suites Makati? Share your experiences!