“Great hotel, great location, great service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn & Suites Makati

You added Holiday Inn & Suites Makati to your Saves list
Holiday Inn & Suites Makati
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Glorietta 1, Palm Drive | Ayala Center, Makati, Luzon 1224, Philippines   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #7 of 72 Hotels in Makati
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Toronto, Canada
“Great hotel, great location, great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

The first week open reviews of this hotel were kind of scary, but I noticed the reviews improving, so I went ahead and booked with Holiday Inn to try it out for myself. Cleanliness is very important to me, and being a brand new hotel I figured this aspect should be covered nicely which it was. I stayed for 7 days, in the last week of April, so my review is based on a fairly thorough stay.

* check in was quick, less than 5 minutes. I checked in at 10 in the morning, so I was asked to pay an extra half day of room rate for an early check-in. They could have been a little more accomodating in price in this aspect. Taking into consideration I was staying for 7 days, so the amount for checking in a few hours early I thought was excessive, however after sitting on a plane for 22 hours my concern was to get a shower and lie down so I accepted that additional half day rate. The luggage arrived to our room within 5 minutes, nice and quick.

* Location is fantastic, hotel is very clean and safe, security guards at the front door 24/7 along with a sniffer dog, I felt safe nothing was coming in and out of the hotel. Friendly security, but also thoroughly scanning everyone every time they enter the front doors, I appreciated this secure service.

* there is a lot of mention on other reviews in regards to constant keycard problems, I stayed for 7 days and only experienced this problem on my first day, first try. The rest of our stay was fine.

* timeliness of Elevators or lifts as some people call them, was perfectly fine, I see a lot of complains up here but didnt experience this myself in regards to wait times. There are 3 elevators, however only 2 of them go all the way to the roof top patio. This I would say is the one major design flaw of the hotel, my girlfiend didnt understand why all the elevators didnt go to the roof top, either did I. There is a place for a forth elevator bank, but it looks like that bank will never be installed as it is framed in with trim and drywall/painted, done deal, 3 elevator banks, only 2 will go all the way to the roof top.

* there is mention the pool area on the top is busy, I never saw more than 6 people in total up there, perfectly quiet to me with lots of nice relaxing places to sit and lounge, the view is great too, however drinks are pricey.

* Room service is also pricey, we only did this on the first day when we first got there. (there was mention in earlier reviews there was no menu in the room, ours had a room service menu) By the second day we learned if you want a quick bite, just head downstairs to go to the Glorietta Mall that has a ton of resto's with very fair prices, we loved that Max's place, great chicken.

* Breakfast buffet, fantastic, I was shocked to see reviews complaining about selection,.. they had EVERYTHING I would ever imagine to be served for breakfast, and also many foods that I would consider lunch or dinner items. The quality of the food was outstanding and the selection was vast, they had too many things to even list here, my girlfriend and I thoroughly enjoyed this buffet!

* Rooms, very clean, spacious and well laid out. Bathroom is good but only have a shower no bath tubs, which was fine for our purpose anyway. Beds were comfy, soft and hard pillows on the bed, both marked for easy identification. Clean and quiet, good sleeps were had.

* Service, everyone was very friendly, I presume it must be hotel policy to say "good morning sir", "good afternoon sir" and "good evening sir",.. I don't think I ever made it past a hotel employee that didn't greet me in some sort of fashion. Very friendly all the staff was, it was a nice at home feeling with all staff displaying a smile, no complaints with any of the staff everyone was great.

* our TV convertor stopped working, called down and I suggested maybe the battery in it died. They were very apologetic for the inconvience, and within 5 minutes there were 4 "engineers" at the door to replace the batteries, I had to chuckle sending 4 people, but they were fast and fixed it even faster, very good service.

* maids dont were shoes, something I had noticed during oru stay. I kind of like that, shows how clean the hallways as well as the rooms both really are.

* this hotel is very closely located to the top hotels of Makati, Ruffles, Shangri-la, Peninsula, so I felt like I was getting a deal considering the area we were staying, and this is a newly opened hotel,. super clean and friendly, for half the price.

* I would recommened this hotel in a heartbeat.

Thanks to all the staff, our stay was very nice, thank you.

~ the blondy Canadian

Room Tip: We stayed over looking the Glorieta Mall,.. it was very quiet, the construction noise is on the othe...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

My 2 daughters and I stayed in this hotel for 1 night before our return flight back to Australia. I wish I had stayed longer. The hotel is new - which is a bonus. It has direct access to one of the nicest shopping malls in Makati which made it so convenient for me to do my last minute shopping. The mall has also lots of really good restaurants, so dining was never a problem. The staff of this hotel are approachable and I could tell that they were really trying their best to provide a great service. The pool may not be as big as the ones in resorts but it is very nice and clean. There are lots of reclining chairs for guests to use.
The bed is big and so comfortable. The pillows are also of high quality. The bathroom is just the right size and more importantly nicely set out, clean and made of classy materials - I didn't have a bathtub in our bathroom, but I didn't need it anyway.
The buffet breakfast was good - although I've had better ones in other 5 star hotels.
Overall, I am glad to have checked in in this hotel. I will definitely check in here again next time i travel to Manila - which is soon. Thanks to all the staff for obviously working hard to provide a good service. Keep it up.

Manila Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

During my brief weekend stay with my family , only got to encounter very few minor problems with a hotel that is only a month old since it opened . First , the deluxe room that i reserved a week in advance was not available when i arrived at around 3 pm . The reason?, there was no available non smoking room , so the front desk staff offered to upgrade me to their premiere rooms which is just actually the higher floors. Yet , room was still not ready for occupancy , so I ended up having left my luggages with them and had my late lunch at the nearby mall then going back for a 5 pm check in. Thank you for the welcome drinks by the way. Second minor issue was when my card key did not work when they reset it ( they supposedly granted me a 1pm check out time which i requested ). Third was when upon checking out , I found out that my priority points credit was not listed even though I have provided them the number upon check in. Last minor issue, the windows in my room 1521 are dirty, I don't know why.Other than that , everything somehow turned out smoothly for my stay . I liked my room , which although not that spacious , was very comfortable . Things in the room that i liked are the good airconditioning , the soft beds, the huge flat screen TV with many channel selection and the multiple outlet set up for various gadgets.The bathroom is fine with me (they had a separate shower area ), and i like the amenities,even though they seem basic. Another thing that I liked was the free wireless internet , wherein I can access e-mails and social networking sites, the speed however can't maximize for watching videos . The service was very much good enough , most of the bell staff were always willing to help, and quite attentive. Even those that I met at the rooftop bar , health spa , lounge and the coffee shop are always smiling, which somehow makes me feel comfortable with them . The front desk staff Dana was good and smart , it was a nice gesture for her to make decisions at an instant to please a guest . Location of this hotel is just awesome, being adjacent or literally connected to the Glorietta mall , so that you do not have to go outside and experience the hot and humid weather just to shop etc. I also liked the buffet breakfast selection , the food tastes good, there are the egg/omelet station, noodle area , and pancake/waffle corner. the ambiance was also nice, since it looks, smells and feel new . I liked this hotel considering the price i paid for it, which was slightly half compared to the room rate price of the big guns Makati Shangri-la , Peninsula and Fairmont/Raffles nearby . The location, fair service and the breakfast made it a good value for money.

Room Tip: Avoid the views where constructions are ongoing
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

My family and I stayed at the hotel for 4 days and three nights during the opening week. We booked three romms because there were 5 of us. Well, we were not in the same floor. Why would this be a problem? Because if you are not staying at the floor you cannot access the floor. So can you imagine that my family had to meet at the 4th floor so we can exchange some stuff. I told the reception my problem and they said they will try to place us in one floor. Nothing happened. No call no further information.

By the way,at the check in, they cannot find my reservation. And then they said I only have two rooms reserved. It is good that I have a print out of my reservation with the corrdct number of rooms and rate.

On the possitive side, the hotel is new. The breakfast was for me excellent. The wait staff is very good and very friendly! Location is perfect.

I probably would try it again if I only have to stay for a few days

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

Our family stayed during the first week of the hotel opening. Our decision to stay was basically due to the location of my dughter's christening is within glorietta and the hotel is new so why not try it. We were so glad we made the decision as it was a great experience. We requested for early check in as the christening is on the same day. MJ (front desk) was very courteous and accomodating. we were checked in earlier than we thought. The room was clean and nice. we requested for a baby crib and was provided immediately. Overall it was a great experience for me and my family. thanks and give my regards to MJ who wAs very polite and professional. see you again next year when we're back in the philippines.

• Stayed April 2013
HolidayInnandSuites, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Makati, responded to this review, May 2, 2013

We are grateful for your wonderful comments about our team members, particularly MJ who is one of our Guest Services Agent. It is truly an honor to work with a very dedicated team. We will definitely pass on your message to MJ.

We look forward to welcoming you again on your next stay.
Various, UK, Aus, NZ, HK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I just posted this review on the Holiday Inn website, in response to their email asking me to. Well, I should say, tried to, but they rejected it.

Too harsh eh?

Well let's start with the positives. It's new, the rooms are nice, the bathrooms are nice (if you don't want a bath).

Yep - that was it for the positives.

On the downside:
* Not enough lifts and the fact that the reception is on the 4th floor REALLY exacerbates this problem because everyone needs to use the lift twice rather than just once. Huge queues and long waits for the lift
* Gym is tiny and no TV's or anything (at least the equipment is new)
* Pool also pretty small and very noisy
* Breakfast selection is poor and service is worse
* Checkin service is poor
* No benefits for Platinum Priority Club members
* Internet is TERRIBLE. I had to get them up to the room to check mine and he just said "we don't have enough bandwidth and everyone is using it". NOT GOOD ENOUGH for a brand new international hotel.
* Staff have no idea what they are doing
* Room service food choice is laughable
* No teabags in the room - coffee sachets only (seriously? no tea in ASIA?)
* No ice machines - ring up and pray
* On the subject of ringing up .... nobody answers the phone
* Room key stopped working on the hot of 12 noon (even though I had a 2pm late checkout) meaning I had to go back down to reception to fix it

I could go on. I won't go back.

The Dusit Thani, about 1 minute walk away, is the same price and twice the hotel. This hotel needs to either raise it's game or lower its price point.

Room Tip: Try another hotel
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. We value your opinion as a Platinum Priority Club member.

We regret to hear that you were not satisfied with the service you received and with the hotel facilities. We will review your feedback and forward to the appropriate departments for specific action. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.

We hope you will give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.
melbourne victoria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Recently, my trip took me to Manila. I booked at Holiday Inn which was 6 days operational when I checked in. I noticed 5 or 6 people hanging around the desk and as I checked in my name wasnt even in the system. I waited for 10 minutes before they found out my booking. From there on things got interesting. I was told to wait and was given a drink which was welcoming and sat down where all the other people were waiting only to find out they have been waiting to be checked to their rooms for over an hour! I waited for over an hour to get checked in......painful teething problems if it takes a guest over an hour to be checked in. In fairness the hotel was good, breakfast was adequate and people were courteous. I hope the efficiency and speed of checking in has been established!

Room Tip: Shop till you drop! Just go down and see restaurants and retail stores
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. We are pleased that you find our location convenient and the breakfast selection to your liking. Thank you also for your positive comments about our staff.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for the issues you have encountered during check in. We are constantly looking for ways to improve it. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

We hope that you take the time to stop in for a visit soon to see how we have taken every comment very seriously in order to make your future stays with us as pleasant as possible.

Been to Holiday Inn & Suites Makati? Share your experiences!