“Don't waste your money” 1 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No 7912 Makati Avenue, Makati, Luzon 1200, Philippines   |
Ranked #30 of 67 Hotels in Makati
“Don't waste your money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

Where to start...I travel a lot as part of my job so I am very familiar with hotels - the good the bad and the ugly. Somerset Olympia is most certainly bad!

I arrived late afternoon and had to wait because my room was not available. They said that they would have to replace the fridge and the safe deposit box, I said that I didn't need them but they insisted and kept me waiting.

The executive suite that I stayed in was spacious but that was about the olny good point. It was noisy and damp.the safe deposit box that they insisted I have did not work, nor did the Internet access.

Breakfast is a joke, a poor selection and terrible service. I had to wait 15 mins for scrambled eggs, they said that they could not make fresh juice from their juice bar because they were too busy clearing tables, they said I should come back in a few hours. It's not like it was busy, there were 9 people having breakfast and four staff

A real let down!

• Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

This property gives good value. The well located apartments are very nicely furnished and clean and without doubt very comfortable. I met the Resident Manager, Mr Philip Barnes who was exceptionally efficient and helpful. The upkeep of the property and the efficiency and friendliness of all the staff is testimony to Mr Barnes good management. Makati Olympia will no doubt be the choice of accommodation for me and my associates.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Makati, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Lived here for 3 months in total before finding permanent digs.

Rooms were very good .... approx. 60 to 70 sq. metres for around GBP90 per night. They don't have a real bar but they have the Old Swiss Inn on site which has excellent food for reasonable (Makati reasonable) prices, and who also provide the room service.

As it's 10 minutes from all the best bars, restaurants and night life in the city it's an excellent location for both working and holiday trips, although for a holiday there aren't too many amenities.

Staff are very friendly and helpful, rooms are clean, etc. You could easily spend more for less at many of the other hotels in the area.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

I have chance to stay here for four days. The location is very good but the the need improvement and renovation is the bath room. The gym is very tiny with very limited machine. Would be better that the kywalker is added.
The breakfast restaurant is so boring. There are very limited number of choices. The orange joice is made of the concentrated one. Need to give the guest more choice.

All the cabinet in the room seems to be from ten years ago plus with a bad smell.

The positive side is the internet speed is good.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
pbarnes83, Manager at Somerset Olympia Makati, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
We are truly sorry for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us. It is only through feedback from our valued guests that we can monitor and improve our operations.

I have noted your comment on the standards of the breakfast, facility and the apartment layout and these has been observed with care and will guide us in making and planning our decisions towards our future upgrading planning. You may be pleased to know that we are currently engaged in talks with the building management over the renovation required to better serve our guests and project a livelier home feeling.

Regardless of the explanation, we are truly sorry for the experiences you had with us and thank you for giving us the benefit to be of service to you. We hope this isolated incident will not deter you from coming back to stay with us and we look forward to be able to receive you on your next trip to Philippines and be of service for you again.

Meanwhile, if you require any further assistance, please feel free to email me.
Warm Regards,
Leeds, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

After staying at hotels at both ends of the price scale (Ascott - expensive but excellent and close to amenities, Guijo Suites - cheap with lovely rooms, not so close to amenities) I pushed for us to book a mid range hotel, and on finding the Somerset thought I had hit on the best of both worlds, it's managed by Ascott after all, it must be good. Cheaper than Ascott but closer to the centre than Guijo, the rooms looked lovely online and on arrival we high fived thinking we'd found a belter. The reception is lovely, although in the basement, but from there it was all downhill. Stepping into the lift area there was a very strong smell of damp which permeated the whole of our area including our room. The corridors are shabby and narrow, we literally stepped out of the lift and our door was in front of us. On entering the room we looked at each other in dismay, small, tatty and smelly without the basics I expect in a Manila hotel, no shampoo or conditioner, no slippers, no free wifi, in fact a charge of over 600php for a nights internet (available free at both Ascott and Guijo), a tv that didn't work and a view of a wall. As we were only staying one night, were on business and had just had a 22hr journey we went out to eat and decided we could cope (not an attitude I expected to have to have paying close to Dusit prices). On our return I asked if someone could fix the t.v., a man arrived promptly but then stayed for god knows how long messing with screwdrivers etc., he was there so long we fell asleep in our clothes. When we woke, he had left, the t.v. wasn't fixed and we both just got changed and went to bed properly. Waking to a new day we looked forward to one of the beautiful breakfasts we are used to when staying in Manila, all i can say is 'yuck'. I chose noodles and soup as I normally love the local cuisine, my friend had to ask for scrambled eggs as it is only the local food that is out on the buffet. Neither of us had more than a mouthful before we looked at each other and shook our heads, we drank the juice and left. The noodles were awful and garlic laden (like seriously, I might as well have just eaten a clove), the soup was just boiled water and my friends scrambled eggs, slimy is the only word she could think of. We will therefore not be staying here ever again, rather I would pay the little extra to stay perhaps at the Dusit, or even go back to the cheap but delightful Guijo Suites.

Room Tip: Don't stay here, in any room, ever....
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
pbarnes83, General Manager at Somerset Olympia Makati, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Warmest Greetings from Somerset Olympia, Makati!

We would like to express our sincerest gratitude for choosing Somerset Serviced Residence and for taking the time to share your invaluable comments.

We are very sorry for the inconveniences and shortcomings you experienced during your last stay with us. The comfort and convenience of our guests is of our utmost priority. However, in this instance, we have fallen short in meeting your expectations and needs.

I have noted particularly your comment on the standards of the interior designs and furnishing of the apartments and these has been observed with care and will guide us in making and planning our decisions towards our future upgrading planning. You may be pleased to know that we are currently engaged in talks with the building management over the renovation required to better serve our guests and project a livelier home feeling.

For amenities, all rooms are set up with basic amenities particularly the shampoo and conditioner upon arrival. For the slippers, they are readily available upon your request. We have also discussed extensively among our team and we recognized the need to perform efficiency and consistently with our housekeeping service.

I sincerely apologize about the inconvenience we caused with regards to the TV set in your apartment that was not fixed by our staff. Though may be a bit too late, I will have this checked by our Maintenance Manager to ensure that the problem is rectified at once.

Also, I have noted particularly your comment on the standards of our breakfast and we will reinstate the observations to our concessionaire management and monitor the outcome.

While we strive to maintain the highest customer satisfaction standards, monitoring our effectiveness can be a challenge at times. We welcome feedbacks such as yours as they indicate the areas where we can further improve. Please accept our deepest apologies once again.

We fervently hope that you will give us another chance to recover your trust on us and our services.

Meanwhile, if you require any further assistance, please feel free to email me.
Warm Regards,
Manila, Philippines
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

The location was great but everything else... well okay, the service was nice too. The reception guy was real helpful and he tried to complete the booking as fast as he could while being polite and courteous the whole time. But the property itself needs some revamping as it is a bit old. i am a non smoker but I got a smoking room so maybe its also one the reasons why i was less happy.Small tv. The rooms are quiet and the aircon does its job for good sleep quality. If you just need a place to sleep in at Makati while you are out all day and will come home late at night, this will be okay. Breakfast was okay too (friendly servers), but I guess I wont be back until significant improvement has been done.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Sydney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

I was scheduled to spend 6 nights at the Somerset Olympia.
The Pics and details on the web were promising and it's location to work was ideal.....

Until I arrived at saturday night.... Lobby is in the basement.... checked in ok...
Taken to a room which at best can only be referred to as an ashtray and would not put my dog in it..
Asked for another room... gave the 9th floor... lift went to the 8th and had to carry my bags up one flight.... the room was clean... furniture was OLD...
The aircon was an old fashioned window unit that kept me up all night with it clunking in and out.
Turning it off was not an option as the room became to hot....

I called the Ascott and arranged a room there and was checked and checked back in by 8am.

The management should be ashamed of themselves for offering such bad rooms and having
deceptive pics on the web..

Never again

Steve F.

Room Tip: Just stay away from this place... it's a dump
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Somerset Olympia Makati, responded to this review, June 22, 2012
Thank you for your valuable feedback.
We are sorry for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us. It is only through feedback from our valued guests that we can monitor and improve our operations.

I sincerely apologize about the inconvenience caused concerning the noise from your air-condition unit. Though may be a bit too late, I will have this checked by our Maintenance personnel to ensure that any unusual sound is rectified at once.

Also, I have noted particularly your comment on the standards of our amenities and facilities and these have been observed with care and will guide us in making and planning our decisions towards our future upgrading planning. You may be pleased to know that we are currently engaged in talks with the building management over the renovation required to better serve our guests and project a livelier home feeling.

Once again, I am very sorry for the inconveniences caused and thank you again for your feedback.

Been to Somerset Olympia Makati? Share your experiences!