“Great service and food but a little old” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mandarin Oriental, Manila

Save Saved
You added Mandarin Oriental, Manila to your Saves list
Mandarin Oriental, Manila
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Makati Avenue | Metro Manila, Makati, Luzon 1226, Philippines   |
Ranked #16 of 62 hotels in Makati
Paris, France
“Great service and food but a little old”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

A very good option in Makati, perfect location on the cornor of Makati Ave and Paseo de Roxas, very convenient!

Pros:
- comfort of the bed
- size of the bathroom
- incredibly fast internet connection in each room (one box per room)
- perfect service of a 5*
- great breakfast buffet with a lot of choices
Cons:
- furnitures date from the 80s, would be nice to think changing them!
- paint in the room and bathroom should be renewed
- the external aspect of the building is not up to a 5* standard!
- carpets in the corridors are too old also

to sum-up... when you do that much money with a business, don't be stingy when it comes to make the place look nice! Service, food, fast internet should count as much as the look! We are now talking about a luxury hotel, it's not like they would not have the budget!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

599 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I have been staying at this hotel on and off for severaql years now. There is no denying that the hotel is aging. Having said that, because of the fantastic friendly staff and the outstanding menus I will continue to stay at the Mandarin. All the staff are wonderful and ensure every need is taken care of. The restuarants are 5 star and there is a new exciting Indian selection on the room service menu. The folks who look after the 17th floor exec lounge are a pleasure to know.
Highly recommended
Doug Kirwin
Thailand

london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Yes, the hotel has aged and the rooms are shabby but all this is forgotten once you arrive and meet the staff. I have never been treated so well in all my years of traveling. How is it that each and every member of staff remembered my name after the first day, not just that they remembered that I'm vegetarian and what I like to drink. The concierge arranged all my requests and gave me good advise when needed. I tried all 3 restaurants and was never disappointed, the food was delicious. Chef Laxsmi who cooks all the Indian food came out to introduce himself after I complemented the waiter of my dinner. Breakfast was good too although the fruit selection could have been better considering what is grown locally. So, forget about the flashy hotels nearby - The Mandarin Oriental has my vote.

Room Tip: If you can stay in the club rooms, the facility of the lounge is worth having.
singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Stayed here during from 23rd to 26th July while on business trip. Hotel pick up at airport was rather easy as they were carrying signage at the exit door. The hotel car was ready at their counter and was off to the hotel within 5 minutes. Hotel services was great and I can say the best so far in all the hotels that I have stayed. The hotel car driver was very polite and introduce themselves, as well as asking if I would like any music, magazine, newspaper, water and if air-con temperature was right. We reach the hotel in about 35 minutes.

Upon reaching the hotel, I was straight taken to my room and check-in was done in the room. There is no waiting, no queue and was relaxing in my room in less than 10 minutes. Cleanliness, comfort of the bed, TV, wireless and working table was just fine, no complaint what-so-ever. I had breakfast for the 3 days there and was not bored with the food. Menu changes almost every day. I had dinner once and the buffet spread was fantastic. The sashimi was fresh and there are also serving of oysters (I do not take oysters). There is also a hotel shuttle bus to Greenbelt area in the evening. You can get the bus schedule from the hotel.

However, the hotel is rather old and definitely need some refurbishment. Upon entering my room, there is a odd smell. On the 2nd day, I told this to the housekeeper and he immediately took a scant burner to freshen up the room. Again, really good and prompt service.

For those who like to go to Burgos Street, this hotel is within 10 minutes walk.

Overall I give a 4 star as the hotel need some level of refurbishment.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

So the hotel building is a little past its best and in the process of being upgraded, but what service! I had a great stay and the staff were terrific helping me resolve numerous issues during a busy stay. Classic, classy MO.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Yonago, Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I stayed 1 night in the Mandarin Oriental, Manila with my family. We arrived at 10 pm and departed for Ninoy Aquino International Airport next morning. The building was old. The wall, carpet, and so on were old too. However, those were well-cleaned. I felt good. It is easy to change new. But I think it is important to take good care. We called it 'Mottainai' in Japanese.
The second thing was that attitude of friendliness to my children was excellent. We were very tired on arrival at the hotel. Their friendliness made us comfortable. My children fell in love with the hotel. If you travel to Manila with your children, I recommend the hotel very highly to you.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

I had just spent 2 nights in the Mandarin Oriental in Manila shortly after staying in the same chain in KL... What a difference...
The hotel in Manila is old to the point that my bathroom was falling to pieces and the bed board smells of dust and mold.
The service in good but not great as after I had issues with my room at 2:00am I was sent facilities people to fix it for 30mins before I myself had to ask for an another room so I could get some sleep.
Overall disappointed ... Being my 5th trip to Manila I must say for the same price there are better options in Makati.

• Stayed July 2013

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Manila? Share your experiences!