“Club Floor Experience at its best” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mandarin Oriental, Manila

Save Saved
You added Mandarin Oriental, Manila to your Saves list
Mandarin Oriental, Manila
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Makati Avenue | Metro Manila, Makati, Luzon 1226, Philippines   |
Ranked #18 of 64 hotels in Makati
manila
“Club Floor Experience at its best”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Stayed here for one night with my husband and kids. Fortunately, we used our Privilege Card to book ourselves in the Club Floor...and our stay was excellent.
While Mandarin Oriental is not as modern as other hotels, having been around for decades, it can still pride itself for subdued luxury (appropriate for business hotels) and exceptional customer service.
Our room in the club floor was spacious, bright and clean with a very comfortable bed topped with crisp, soft and hygienic linen. Room decor was simple and quite dated...nothing special to rave about...but the amenities are complete and the airy, tidy and comfy over-all feel of the place more than makes up for the lack of artistic detail. The bathroom was huge and spotless though the corners of the bath tub and glass enclosure showed signs of aging; and the shower faucet was quite difficult to manage. The airconditioning was quite inconsistent....the night was a little too warm while the morning felt very chilly. Internet access was free for this type of room; and the speed of the wi-fi connections did not disappoint.
In the midst of the pros and cons of the room, what won us over really was the club lounge privilege attached to the room. In the lounge, there were free early afternoon snacks for club floor guests from noontime up to around 4 pm, consisting of a rich spread of tasty pastries, coffee, and soft beverages. My kids loved the different flavored muffins and chocolates while my husband and I indulged in the danish pastries and cookies. We enjoyed just bonding in the lounge before taking a dip in the pool. At around 6 pm, my husband and I were back at the club lounge for the free cocktails --- a delightful offering of various sushi, chips and cheese with your choice of wine. This is indeed a great way to end the day and prepare for a pleasant evening with the family! The next morning, my whole family had our complimentary breakfast again at the lounge where we were served a buffet of continental breakfast items and one choice each from the ala carte menu. The choice, quantity and quality of food was just right...not too little or too heavy; and was good enough to start a great day. Throughout these perks, what we considered extra special was the customer service. The staff at the club lounge were very courteous and helpful and gave us personal attention in every visit to the lounge. An extra was always added to every request,without hesitation. This hotel really knows how to make their club floor guests feel pampered, and it was worth every peso we spent.
Bottomline, I would recommend this hotel even for a short staycation over the weekend; and really suggest that you book at the club floor. The hotel now belongs to my list of examples of establishments with Great Customer Service.

Room Tip: Get a room at the club floor!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

644 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

As a travel blogger, i am very keen in choosing the hotels i book. Mandarin oriental was a good choice, not the most modern but it still defines luxury at its finest, i love the free mandarin oranges at the hotel and I love the Paseo restaurant set up, food was superb as well. Bed layout are kinda odd but I like the entire experience. I blogged it at http://www.thewanderdan.com/2013/03/luxury-beyond-compare-mandarin-oriental.html :) would be happy to stay again here!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
sunny philippines
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Maybe I was just unlucky with my room but there are a lot of things I was disappointed about. Considering the money paid ($200 USD / night) I was expecting something decent and not some inconvenient accommodations. We were on a business trip to Manila and stayed here last May 26-29. Here are my Pros and Cons for Mandarin Oriental:
Pros:
1.) Great spread of Breakfast food. Delicious. Though there was one day they didn't have Maple syrup for their pancakes? Huh? aren't you guys supposed to have bottles of those. Anyways it only happened 1 day out of our entire stay.
2.) Comfy Beds and Pillows
3.) Large Room and Bathroom
4.) Complete Amenities in the room. Fridge, hotpot, TV etc. Morning Paper.
5.) Great location. Everything you need in Makati is walking distance. Glorietta, Greenbelt, Ayala Triangle and Jupiter St. are all within 5-20 mins. walk
6.) Free shuttle to the Malls
Cons:
1.) No electrical outlet near the bed. What gives? You have to charge your phone or gadgets on the Desk. this is so inconvenient.
2.) Our TV had several issues, first the volume wont work and then it won't turn off.
3.) NO WIFI. you have to pay Php 250 or $6 USD an Hour! absurd! considering the amount you are already paying. Good thing my Mobile Phone had a data plan for internet.
4.) High Price for an old Hotel Room.
5.) Inattentive staff. We requested the staff to inform us when the shuttle to the mall will leave. But they forgot to inform us and good thing I was able to look outside and rushed to call out the shuttle.
6.) Shower. It wasn't relaxing at all. Water pressure was too hard. They should upgrade to those Waterfall - Type showers.
I really think Mandarin can improve themselves. Those Cons I've listed are easy to fix and will go a long way in delighting a guest. They may be small but they made my stay a bit unpleasant . With the amount they were charging, I would have expected them to provide me a 4 dots rating review here. To other travelers, if you seek a cheaper alternative there are lots to choose from and for those who are paying about the same, look for better hotels around Makati.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Beijing, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I was here for just one night - nothing impressive at all.
Rooms are not so great, carpets give off a light odor ( did not want to use the word stink).... Directions in the corridors to reach the room could be better, Lighting in the rooms could be a bit brighter
Breakfast spread is just about ok - nothing to get up for. Interestingly , though not sure how, I got an Indian item on the menu unexpectedly - "poha" which was quite good actually.
Location from my office perspective was great, which is why I was there in the first place.

100%, not the place I will stay during my next visit if any to Manila.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Bethesda, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights. Service is great but location is far from the mall and other shopping area. You have to walk about 10 minutes to get to the nearest mall. Hotel lobby is small. Restaurant is a little bit pricey but good quality.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I think the Mandarin Oriental needs to be re-classified as a four-start hotel. It's starting to show it's age and barely up to par with the Mandarin Oriental brand in the rest of the world. Great service though.

Breakfast is great, and the lunch buffet at Paseo Uno is one of the best in town.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

As a couple, we stayed here for 3 days and 2 nights in Dec 2007. First, the room is spacious, with king size bed, and bathtub. Also, have a big swimming pool.

We loved their BREAKFAST, a lot of good varities of food...superbly delicious (very western food). Location is very good as it is in the heart of Makati. And, a lot of restaurants nearby.

Definitely we had a good stay!!! Definitely we will visit this hotel again.

Tip: Avoid smoking rooms as when we first bring there, we totally didn't like and ask them to give us non-smoking rooms.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Manila? Share your experiences!