“Classical Peninsula” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Peninsula Manila

You added The Peninsula Manila to your Saves list
The Peninsula Manila
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Corner of Ayala and Makati Avenues, Metro Manila, Makati, Luzon 1226, Philippines   |
Ranked #4 of 67 Hotels in Makati
Hong Kong
“Classical Peninsula”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I have stayed at the Manila Peninsula a number of occasions in the last twelve months and will be returning again in November. Apart from the hotel maintaining the high standards of the Peninsula group, it is also very conveniently located near to the Greenbelt / Glorrietta shopping and restaurant precints of Makati City in Manila. The service is attentive and the staff all willing to assist in order to ensure your stay is relaxing and pleasant!

Room Tip: No rooms suffer any noise or other issues
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with a colleague for a night only from being stranded due to typhoon Maring. But who would actually thought that there's storm outside when the moment you step into the hotel, you'll be awed with the grandeur of the lobby and soothing effect of the piano music. You'll forget you're in the tropical country of suns and rains only.
Checking in has no problem, it's fast even with lots of guests in the desk. Only thing is, they don't offer some refreshments and no bellboy assisted us. We just helped ourselves with our luggage and find where the elevator is. The room is nice and clean, just as how you would expect a 5-star hotel would have; complete with stuff you need from a fridge full of snacks and drinks to a fax machine among others for business works. The bathroom's relaxing too. I love it when I can dim the lights and listen to classical music while I souse myself with a bubble bath. Toiletries provided are also of luxury brand Davi, which I was able to have a handful extra supplies when I asked for some since we're 2 in the room, delivered right away in a basket. The next morning's breakfast is something to look forward to as well although not as excellent as the nearby hotels offer. There's more to explore in Manila Peninsula but I'm bound by time as I have to rush to the office again which is just walking distance from here. Location of hotel is a plus, it's in CBD where high-end malls, good restaurants, ATMs are everywhere.
Overall, it's truly 5-star and highly recommendable although the price says for itself.

• Stayed August 2013
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

We arrived at the hotel on August 2, around 11 am. The lobby was beautiful. Fresh flowers, sweeping staircases, magnificent ceiling work and the cool, cool air from the centralized a/c was a glorious treat from the scorching sun outside. The concierge was warm, welcoming and very courteous. I had already requested for an early check-in when I booked the hotel room online because I knew that our flight was going to get to Manila quite early, and I did not want to lug 6 pieces of baggage wherever. I proceeded to explain this to him and was very impressed by how professional he spoke to me. Check-in was a breeze and done in 5 minutes. A bellhop was signalled to assist me and my boyfriend and within minutes of walking in the hotel, we were already on our way up to our room.

Our room was on the 9th floor. It was clean, smelled nice, and had a nice view of Makati. The bed linens were crisp and soft at the same time and the mattress was just inviting me to jump in and take a nap. The bathroom was UHH-MAZING! My friend who dropped us off at the hotel even joked about how she could sleep on the bathroom floor because of how clean it was. The hot & cold shower's water pressure was awesome. It was surprisingly and consistently strong, and the hot & cold part worked perfectly. An iron and board was delivered to our room upon minutes of requesting them. Everything was spot on! The breakfast buffet was delicious and there was a lot to choose from.

All the staff at the hotel are trained well and are very friendly. The only thing I can maybe critique about is the fact that I felt so sorry for the hotel guard dogs who were working in severely hot temperatures. They were panting heavily and were obviously thirsty. I hope the hotel and the dog handlers are aware of the fact that dogs burn up quicker than people do. I did not see any water near the dogs. Also, I hope the dogs are not overworked and compensated well! They too need their rest and love. ❤❤❤

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

As soon as you step into the impressive lobby and hear the music playing you are transported back to another time but... the rooms & facilities are well equipped & modern.
Service is very good and the location in Makati is great - just across from shopping malls with lotsa restaurant and bar choices.
All the food places are good and (unlike the HK Penn) it is possible to just turn up and do the high tea without a long wait queuing...
A G&T by the pool on the weekend is a very nice way experience....
Would be very happy to stay at the Peninsula again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

I was generally pleased with the hotel. Very impressive entrance lobby and the staff were attentive. I ate breakfast in the restaurant and had a drink in the bar. Both positive experiences. My room was good mad well serviced. My only complaint was that some of the carpets in the hallways really do need a good clean or replacing. Given the high standards to which this hotel wants to be held, it lets them down somewhat. But overall highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

From location to service to accommodations, this is a great city hotel. The buffet breakfast is the best in town. With a nice pool area, several restaurants and music venues and a spa, this hotel is perfect for a respite from a hectic city. Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

I stayed at The Peninsular for 3 nights in August whilst travelling on business. My work colleagues and I were caught in a monsoon that caused metro Manila to flood so ended up spending more time in the hotel than expected due to much of the city being shut down.

The good
 Lobby is amazing and captures true old world elegance of the hotel.
 The gym and pool are amazing. Best hotel gym I have ever been to.
 I had two massages in the day spa and both were very good & relative to what it would cost in western country very affordable (about $A50 for 60 mins)
 Rooms we comfortable with fresh fruit and a luxurious bathroom

What really let the hotel down was the service in the lobby (where we ended up spending considerable amount of time given the flooding).

Staffing levels were always very adequate with at least 5-6 people working however service was very slow with a drinks order always taking 25-30 mins. Often the staff would miss aspects of the order and have to go back, which would take another 25-30 mins. It felt like the staff were always avoiding direct eye contact so if you needed to flag them down you have to practically wave and call out.

All in all a nice old fashioned hotel, probably a little bit expensive for what you get and for the prices charged they really need to improve their service quality in lobby.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
JosephArias, The Peninsula Manila at The Peninsula Manila, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear DC1977,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us and we apologize for the inconvenience you have been caused during your recent stay at the hotel. We have taken corrective measures to prevent these service lapses from recurring in the future. These are unacceptable and definitely not up to The Peninsula standards.

We hope that this won't prevent you from staying with us again in the future. Should there be anything that we can do for you at this time, you can get in touch with me through: oliverdudler@peninsula.com.

Yours sincerely,
Oliver Dudler
Hotel Manager
The Peninsula Manila

Been to The Peninsula Manila? Share your experiences!