“Charm of Philippines” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Peninsula Manila

You added The Peninsula Manila to your Saves list
The Peninsula Manila
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Corner of Ayala and Makati Avenues, Metro Manila, Makati, Luzon 1226, Philippines   |
Special Rate
Online Exclusive Offer
Ranked #5 of 74 Hotels in Makati
Singapore, Singapore
“Charm of Philippines”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

The last time i was in Manila is some 20 years ago. I used to enjoy staying at The Peninsula prior to that. This time i decided to re-visit the hotel with my wife as this is her first trip to Manila.
I was not disappointed. The hotel had obviously went through a major upgrade. New, grand, spacious, clean, impressive. The breakfast spread is fantastic! Sushi and shashimi as much as you want!
Room is spacious and bathroom generous.
The only thing i missed is the singing lobby with talented Philippines singers. Now its a small orchestral of 5-6 people. No singing of Philippines songs, just beautiful music. That's a loss!

Room Tip: Have a wine at the lobby in the evening. It's a wonderful experience, though my previous experie...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We have stayed three times at the peninsula Manila: before our trip to the north (Luzon), between our trip to Palawan and before returning back home.

The check- in was very efficient and very kind, at all times when we arrived, at 2 am, 1 pm an 4 pm.

It was great how we could store our excess luggage during our trips, since we have had always luggage limitation (size and/or weight). It was always sent to our room upon our arrival. Our daughter loved the pool and the goodies in the room for her (cookies, DVD and drawing material).

The room size was good, even for 2 adults and our daughter 5 and well equipped.

As a world traveler I can really recommend this hotel.

We didn't use the spa, but it looked nice.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Spent six nights there. It had been a great stay. Room is clean and very well maintained. Bed is comfortable, giving good sleep. Staff are very polite. Wifi is good throughout.

Breakfast is spoilt for choices. Fresh fruit juices, good coffee and wide selection of food and fruits. Mainly high quality and healthy one plus some unhealthy food. The choices are there.

Location is ideal. For those who love to have a run or walk at the park, Ayala Triangle Garden is just a stone throw away. For shoppers, Glorietta and Green Belt are pretty near too.

Room Tip: If you want to sleep till late morning, try avoid low floors and those room facing the main roads I...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Receptionist was very gracious to allow us early check-in into our room as we arrived at the hotel around 6am. Most hotel would have charged us for an extra night but we were allowed to settle in free of charge. Truly appreciate above & beyond customer service as such.

Room was compact but comfortable. Appreciated the quality bathroom amenities provided. Although a little farther from the shopping areas, we took the shuttles everyday to the greenbelt area and so was happy with the location.

Breakfast was varied and tasted good. First hotel breakfast with ice cream to boast for breakfast! Staff were courteous and friendly in an unobtrusive way. Would definitely stay at this and other Peninsula Hotel again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I was on business trip back in February this year for a training and the training was held in the hotel.

The first moment when I walked into the room, I was already very fond of the work desk! It was spacious, LAN cable and power source were at your reach (built in in the table), fax machine, stationery and postcard are in the drawers for you. it was just like a small office setup where you could start work straight away.

Talking about the room, it was certainly big and neat. Space has been provided to put your luggage and everything was in order.

The down side would probably be the bathroom and the air-con. The glass door could not stop the water from running out when I was taking a shower. The air-con controller didn't work well to adjust the room's temperature, end up I woke up in the middle of the night, sweating. I am aware that it is an old hotel but as a 5 stars hotel, I think there would be a need for the hotel management to check the facilities' conditions.

Room Tip: I noticed the work desk's position and its size may differ in other room even though the price f...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Manila
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

If the majestic waterfall design is any preview, you will not be disappointed with its amenities - the lobby is elegant and has a spacious feel. Although it did not have a waiting area for people who were checking in, I guess it's because you did not really have to wait that long. It's impressive that despite being the icon of hotels in Makati, it's facilities were well maintained and did not have that dated look and feel which other 5-star hotels in Makati is at fault for.
I used my membership privileges which includes a spacious superior room with a queen bed and one of the largest bathrooms I've seen in hotels. Would be nice to have some privacy between the bath, restroom and shower room so as to maximize its use though. Great added touch to have bottled water replenished at night and a few pieces of fruit upon arrival. Had a very nice luggage area, work table with own fax machine, lounge chair, conveniently hidden ref and TV with all the cable channels plus free movie selections! Nice.
I liked the security and not being able to use the elevators without the key. It's conveniently located to the entrance near the pools. This was the only thing inconsistent, because its design and service wasn't impressive. When I asked this old man where to get towels, he just turned his back on me, waved his hand and walked away. Service here wasn't very welcoming compared to other hotel staff.
Was also able to use my other Peninsula privileges - free buffet and cake vouchers the following day. Good food and service at the Escolta. All in all, hassle free and 5 star all the way.
Would go back to try the spa.

Room Tip: book the Makati side rooms if you intend to swim.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

I loved the way the hostess would greet me by name during my whole stay. I would come in from work to have breakfast at the buffet and she new my name after the first day. They also do that at the lobby restaurant as well. My only complaint had to do with requesting a late check out on my last day, the front desk was not accomidating at all unless your rich of course then they'll bend over backwards for you. Saw this first hand. That's the reason I gave service a 4 and not a 5. The drivers they have for their car service are awesome. One other issue that I found was the walls and doors aren't very sound proof so if you or the room next to you are talking a little loud it can be a little annoying especially if you work nights and try to sleep during the day. Overall I had a really good experience and would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Makati
Makati Shangri-La Manila
#1 of 74 in Makati
5.0 of 5 stars 236 reviews
Holiday Inn & Suites Makati
Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila

Been to The Peninsula Manila? Share your experiences!