“Do not have your wedding here!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Makati Shangri-La Manila

You added Makati Shangri-La Manila to your Saves list
Makati Shangri-La Manila
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ayala Avenue Corner Makati Avenue, Makati, Luzon 1200, Philippines   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
10% off room rate
Ranked #3 of 72 Hotels in Makati
Melbourne, Australia
“Do not have your wedding here!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I am getting married in April 2013, although it has not happened yet, i already have had so much stress from the staff from this hotel.
This hotel was recommended to me, and as a 5 star hotel i assumed we would be treated with 5 star service.

First issue was that I had already had a contract signed and deposit made and the staff were insisting to give priority to a tentative event that was taking place on the same day, which meant that my wedding would be pushed later than the agreed time. After asking for my deposit back, the tentative event booked was magically cancelled.

Second issue was that there were two different people handling my event, it made everything so confusing. Then when booking rooms for my guests i had to deal with 5 different people and each time they would give me a different room rate, which got more and more expensive.

When i went to the reservations desk personally to ask for a rate, the rate given to me was the cheapest at the time, and when i informed the DIRECTOR OF BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT she did not want to match the rate i was given, instead gave me a group rate which was almost 2850PHP more for each room than the rate i was given. I was so disappointed as i was celebrating my wedding here and booking up to 20 rooms.

I do not understand why there are so many different rates and so many people handling one persons reservation. This is quite a let down and i am not looking forward to the failures this hotel will give me for my wedding day. I should have asked for my deposit for the whole wedding back and gone across the road to the Peninsula.

Room Tip: Try and book online on discount websites, they are cheaper and offer better deals
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Reto K, General Manager at Makati Shangri-La Manila, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Ms Estrada,

At the outset, we apologize for the misunderstanding and the confusion with regards to the room offers. I believe we were able to set this straight with you through our Events Manager last week. We have also positively considered a request you made and sent you an email yesterday as we could not reach you last Friday. We hope you will have the time to review it.

Thank you very much for your comments that allow us to improve. The team and I are committed to work with you closely to ensure that you will indeed have your dream wedding here with us in April.

Sincerely yours,
Reto Klauser
Area Manager / General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Shangri-La Makati is a beautiful hotel, the decor is classic & luxurious. We walked into a stunning room filled with rose petals (see photo) and some treats for us to enjoy. The service upheld at Shangri-La was professional, curteous and the team went above and beyond for us during our two seperate stays.

The hotel is supremely positioned to explore the city and it's shopping! Greenbelt Shopping malls are only a few minutes away.

We have stayed at Dusit Thani Manila our last time in Manila and found the rooms were noisy and the service was not consistent. We would love to return and highly recommend this Shangri-La Makati.

Room Tip: Book a Horizon Club suite - you'll enjoy a higher floor and access to all club level offerings
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

the pastry selection was impressive and the quality of the food is above every hotel in Asia. The service is super attentive and always ready to anticipate your needs. the hostess were very warm and welcome you with a big smile, that's exactly what I need at 8 o clock in the morning. Ronald, the waiter, was always smiling and friendly, once understood I love mango approached me every morning with a huge glass of mango juice. Amazing.

• Stayed October 2012
St Helens, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Stayed here on a business trip April 2012.
The hotel is in the centre of the business district within a few minutes walking distance of a huge array of shopping malls and restaurants. I found the hotel a luxurious oasis from the hustle and bustle. You will find security pretty tight - to get into most of the malls you will need to get through security and metal detectors. The hotel security is similar.
The hotel itself I found to be excellent - possibly the best I have stayed at so far. Hotel staff were extremely helpful and polite. They even have a bell boy at the elevators to choose your floor!
I had a club room that was large and luxurious with all the facilities you would expect of this class of hotel. The lobby and large lounge area is spectacular with live music every evening, The buffet breakfast is by far the biggest and most comprehensive I have ever seen - really overwhelming. I ate out most nights but did try the Japanese restaurant and found it quite expensive but excellent. However, I would recommend getting out and trying other restaurants. There are some excellent Japanese and local restaurants and prices are very reasonable.
I have no hesitation recommending this hotel and I will use this again on my next trip to the city.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Spacious rooms, comfortable beds, spectacular view. They pay attention to detail here, but for the price that should be a given. The staff was very helpful - currency exchange, arraigning a tour, offering advice on getting to certain parts of town - terrific. Even the security dogs wagged their tails in greeting. Live music in the gorgeous lobby was always a treat. Breakfast buffet was abundant, the variety of choices was overwhelming.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Rooms are big and well equipped. I especially like the fact that they leave a multi travel adaptor in the room for overseas guest like myself. Service is good and and the breakfast spread is enormous. The room I was in showing its age, the both cupboard didn't close properly but otherwise its still a great room.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Great hotel service,even better restaurants. Security was always tight, they look underneath your car for bombs! Hotel view was awesome overlooking greenbelt. Could use a better tennis court!
Spa was average, but better than most.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Makati Shangri-La Manila? Share your experiences!