“Great Hotel in Manila Area” 5 of 5 stars
Review of New World Makati Hotel

Save Saved
You added New World Makati Hotel to your Saves list
New World Makati Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Esperanza Street corner Makati Avenue | Ayala Center, Makati, Luzon 1228, Philippines   |
Ranked #9 of 64 hotels in Makati
California
“Great Hotel in Manila Area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2008

I was here for 3 days. I was in the Philippines for 3 weeks and stayed at many different hotels. This is the only hotel. That I visited. That was up to American standards. If you are bringing your family or spouse. This is a good place. It is very secure, very safe, very clean and great service. It also has a great breakfast buffet. That you can add to the room reservation. The best breakfast I had during my 3 week stay in the Philippines.

The security at first intimidated me. There was a team for taxis including bomb sniffing dogs. There was another team at the doorway with scanners and bomb sniffing dogs. After a few times through this. It becomes routine and only takes seconds. It is fairly painless. I actually appreciated the extra security.

I was worried about my Filipino friends and family. That were going to visit me. Would have problems with security. Because of an earlier review written here. My friend's family about 12 people had no problem getting through security. Because they had the proper ID's and went through the security checks.

This hotel has the best beds in the Manila area. That I know of. I was getting real tired of the cheap foam mattresses at other hotels.

There is a great lounge area, bar, and restaurant. I ate dinner there once, but prefer the restaurants in the mall across the street for dinner and lunch. I preferred the breakfast buffet by far in the hotel. I was getting really sick of white rice at all meals.

Great service by all Marriott employees. As good or better than in the states. Could not be better in my opinion.

Also they cash traveler's checks at this hotel. After trying to cash travelers checks at half dozen hotels and banks. This simple service was very much appreciated. This alone would bring me back to this hotel. I really hate banks in Manila. Poor service and extreme security, although all security I meet in the Philippines were very helpful and courteous. I was in one bank. I was give a number and a sofa to sit in while waiting. The guard was very pleasant. As I waited some piping malfunctioned in the ceiling. Dumping a huge amount of water on me. Completely drenching me to the skin. I was the only one in the bank that got wet. Everyone looked at me like I was going to go ballistic, but I just laughed. Until they refused to cash my travelers check. I hate banks in that country. I doubt if I will bring travelers check with me again. Unless I stay at this hotel.

The things I did not like about this hotel. Are about the same in other Marriott hotel. They are extremely over priced on many things. Like the beverages and snacks in the mini bar in the room. Prices were outrageous.

The price for laundry services were really bad. Especially after paying 33 to 60 pesos at other hotels per KILO. The Marriott prices were priced to taken advantage of business men. Needing their suits cleaned. Several hundred pesos to get a single T-shirt or shorts washed was ridiculous in my book. I can buy a new T-shirt for that price. They wanted to wash mine. So if you are on a vacation instead of a business trip keep this in mind.

My biggest complaint about Marriott hotels here and state side. Is the charge for internet service. Cheaper hotels have free internet access. Why does Marriott have to charge such high prices for such inexpensive services.

Across the street is a great shopping mall that connects with other shopping areas. You can spend hours or days shopping here. You have to risk your life getting across the street though.

This hotel should really build a walkway above the street to the Greenbelt shopping mall.

Over all my stay at this hotel was great and I would stay here again.

• Liked — great beds, clean rooms, great service
  • Disliked — High prices for extras like snacks, beverages, laundry and internet services
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends

759 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Mexico City, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2008

This hotel is located in Makati city, having a lot of shops and restaurant just around the corner.
Great hotel for business trips, check-in and check-out are very fast (as you need them when you are in a rush), room service takes too long to be delivered, it will take around 45 minutes to get your order so before you get very hungry ask for food as it will take a while.

• Liked — Business oriented
  • Disliked — Room service takes too long to be delivered
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Guam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2008

I’ve stayed in this hotel about 2 years ago and gave it a stellar review. I was in it again a week ago for a conference and like the last time, I am still impressed. The rooms were clean, the gym was neat (open 24 hours) but most of all the staff was great. They truly were delighted to serve. From the front desk staff, the doormen, down to the driver of my airport transfer, everyone made me feel welcome and looked after.

Reading the review of Zlanger from the UK, I steeled myself for a bit of the same treatment that his Filipina fiancé suffered. I am also of Filipino descent and travel frequently with my Caucasian boyfriend. There have been a few instances on my visits to Manila where I’ve been on the receiving end of the same treatment from my fellow Filipinos no less so I understand where he’s coming from. I thought maybe this time it may be worse since I’m traveling alone without the benefit of having a “white back-up”. I was wrong and pleasantly surprised at not being “judged” in this “fancy” hotel. At no time in my stay with them was I made to feel like I don’t belong.

Maybe someone in the Marriot chain reads these reviews and paid attention.

• Liked — friendly staff, accommodating front desk people
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2008

I stayed at this hotel for 5 weeks while in Manila on business, my company has a corporate rate. The hotel is very high quality, the room was clean and well appointed and the service was impeccable. I had one issue the entire time I was there, I placed a room service order that was lost and waited over an hour for delivery, when I called back they rushed it and of course didn't charge.

The pool is beautiful, the location is superb especially with Greenbelt and Glorietta so close by. The breakfast buffet is very expensive, but was included with my room...the food was very good.

I would without hesitation recommend this hotel for a long term stay and/or business travel...it's a little stuffy (for my liking) for personal travel though.

Stayed July 2008
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2008

Just returned from 10 day stay at Hotel. Rooms are excellent, staff very helpful and friendly. Excellent location next to Greenbelt shopping malls with huge range of bars, restaraunts within walking distance. Also appreciated the high level of security when entering and leaving. Gota corporate rate of $135 but like all hotels this did not include all the taxes.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2008

This review has been long overdue. I've been busy and could not find the time to write this. However, I've seen that there have been a lot of reviews for this hotel and I do agree that the hotel needs a little upgrading (especially the really old TV set that the room had). I would also like to point out an important missing piece on the side of the toilet (something that has a hose and a nozzle) coz it was quite a chore to do the CHORE, if you know what I mean.

This a hotel worthy of a couple of compliments... Again, we ventured into the heart of the Makati Business District for a long weekend. Upon arrival an the hotel, you can tell that they take security seriously. They have K-9 units, metal detectors and security personnel to check your belongings as you enter the premises. I was greeted by one of the friendly staff members who led me to the front desk to check-in. I was then assisted by another friendly staff member (April, I think) and the process did not take long. At the most it was about 7-10 mins. max. Finally, I was then directed to the elevators where I got off on the 16th floor.

The view from this room was good. I had a great panoramic view of the Makati business district and the Greenbelt shopping center (which was right across). Everything was within walking distance: The Landmark, Glorietta, SM Makati, and the other interesting places in the vicinity. It was good because you didn't need to get into a cab and find yourself stuck in the Makati traffic.

Although for all it's PRO's, the few CON's would be the banged up old TV, the lack of a bidet (or whatever you call it), and the obnoxious teenagers at the pool (which the pool staff did not reprimand for being too loud and kept jumping into the pool even though there are signs indicating "NO DIVING").

Overall, I would say that we had a great 3-day stay at this hotel. I can't complain about the security and the staff. Everywhere you went, you were always greeted with a warm smile and a wonderful greeting (morning, afternoon, or evening). I guess if I had to do it all over again, I might go for a different room, but I would still want the same staff there. I really felt that the staff took care of us and treated us like VIP's. It was really a great experience from a great hotel.

• Liked — It's a great hotel with great staff members... The bed and pillows are "dreamy"
  • Disliked — Needs to upgrade the TV and the Comfort room, and the staff should really tell other guests when they're being a nuisance.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2008

I like this hotel's location but will not stay there again simply because of the security. I am a white foreigner and my fiancee is a Filipina, and for some reason security thought it was a good idea to stop us enroute to our room every day and insist that I go reregister my fiancee at the front desk. I was registered for a room for two, and my fiancee and I were both usually dressed nicely. They seemed to imply that because she was a Filipina and I was white that she was a prostitute and must be registered for my protection. It was embarrassing and a hassle the first night and utterly humiliating the second and third nights there. The security types seemed to form a gauntlet around us the minute we walked through the door, and they even stood between us and the elevator and would not let us go around. By our last night there, my Finacee was so humiliated that she insisted that we not leave the room for dinner because she didn't want to be embarrassed yet again on the way back to the room.

I observed in the lobby many Filipinas with Filipino men going unimpeded to the elevator, and Japanese men doing the same. Apparently they enjoy hassling white foreigners with local women.

I don't mind at all having my bag searched as I enter the hotel, but when they stop a mixed race couple to apparently "protect" the guy from a girl half his size, and do not let him pass without being pushed to the front desk to prove they are a couple, this crosses the line.

White men with Filipina wives or girlfriends, avoid this hotel!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — security
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to New World Makati Hotel? Share your experiences!