“Convenient location and consistent service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Manila

You added InterContinental Manila to your Saves list
InterContinental Manila
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Ayala Avenue | Ayala Center, Makati, Luzon 1226, Philippines   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #19 of 67 Hotels in Makati
Canberra
“Convenient location and consistent service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Our family and I have stayed at the Intercontinental Manila on several occasions over the past seven years. The staff are courteous and professional, and recognise the loyalty of IHG rewards members. The lobby is also spacious and is pleasant when waiting for transport to arrive.

There is often some evening entertainment at the little cafe/bar close to the pool for a late night drink or soiree. The small Gold's Gym is also great if you need to keep up your fitness regimen before heading out for a spot of shopping at Greenbelt! The Intercontinental is within five to ten minutes walking distance to major shopping complexes Glorietta and Greenbelt, and SM Makati.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Korean first
Stockholm, Sweden
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

I had booked the Junior Suite, but as a Royal Ambassador I was upgraded to the Executive Suite which had two rooms, but I find the RA reward to be a bit disappointing (a small bag and some sort of lamp for your bicycle?) usually I get something that is a sign from the country I am visiting.

Checkin was very slow, about 30 minutes and the people that work in the reception seem to be more attentive to the business people, rather than the young-solo travelers. I find that a bit disrespectful considering my loyalty to IHG.

The room I had was good, but the furniture is a bit worn-out or old, not really modern. Not sure if thats a standard in Philippine hotels, as this was my first time to visit the country. They had only a bathtub and no separate shower, which makes me as a tall guy almost not fit for taking a shower as the roof was very low.

I had also hung the Do Not Disturb sign outside my door every night because I would usually sleep for a long time after coming back from the Casino the nights before. However, the cleaning would always knock on the door anyway and enter my room even if the sign was there. They did this every morning even if I complained and told them to look on the damn sign.

There was also some guy who came to check my minibar every day while the sign was there. Royal Ambassador status gives you free minibar which I told him everyday, but he wouldnt stop coming and he wouldnt read the sign either.

In room dining was good the first time I ordered (fish and chips, which I recommend) however, second time I ordered a sausage platter and tom kha gai soup (suppose to be spicy) I received a totally different soup, not spicy, no flavour, it was filled with mushrooms and the soup tasted only water. I told the waiter about this, he then told someone else and someone from the reception called me that they would give me a 50% discount, I refused and said its fine I will pay the price. But I will never order room service again, because you simply cant fail when making a soup, its such a easy thing to make.

I also have to mention, if you want to take a taxi from the hotel expect to wait at least 1 hour before the taxi come to pick you up.

They also have some crazy security, I dont know why because its the first time I was visiting the country, but expect inspection of the vehicle before entering the premises, K9 (Philippine version of FBI?) with security dogs to smell on your luggage, and body/luggage scan before entering the hotel. Sure security is good, but I dont understand why so many checks.

I will most likely chose Peninsula for my next visit if they wont fix the problems mentioned above.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Jem S, Manager at InterContinental Manila, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear Pokerstah,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review about your experience at InterContinental Manila.

We strive to provide all our valued guests with a gratifying experience and it is with deep regret to learn that we were not able to deliver that in this occassion. On behalf of the team, please accept my apologies for the shortcomings that you experienced during your stay. Your comments are carefully noted. Rest assured that these matters are treated with serious attention and the concerned department heads are taking action to rectify these.

Thank you for choosing InterContinental Manila and for your loyalty to the InterContinental Hotels Group. We hope to have the honor of serving you again in the future.

Jemina S
Distribution and Relationship Marketing Manager
InterContinental Manila
Darwin NT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

I stayed back here a few years ago. There wasn't anything that u could complain about.
This time around there isn't anything major to complain about but a few minor things.
Praises were
Staff and their impeccable attitude towards guests. No matter what time of day it's always a greeting.
I forgot the gentlemans name but he wears a barong with Purple colouring. He has mannerisms that make you feel like you're always important at Intercontinental - he is a long term employee. As I recognised him from last time.
The staff at the front are always helpful and I'm thankful for that. I only wish they had enough room for my whole family to stay as I would book them all in. But it's not the hotel I commend it's the staff I take my hat off too. They should have more like you everywhere.
Downside
As courtesy I would always leave a tip for the staff cleaners. First night 150 pesos for the cleaners for tidying up my room. Without them, then my room is what you feel comfortable with - cleanliness.
I came back the room was immaculate and set up as if I didn't even sleep in it. Felt like I was in heaven.
The next day I left money again.
I came back and it wasn't as the first time - bits of rubbish on the floor/carpet. My bathroom wasn't cleaned - the vanity top wasn't arranged like the first time.
Then alas I realised that the staff who had cleaned during the week were on a break and weekend staffing had kicked in - or next rotation. !
I felt quite disappointed and let down as if I would've known that the next staff wouldn't arrange my room to standards even with a tip I wouldn't have left money. ! They even forgot to throw my old coffee cups away and left it where it was. I understand that money is hard to come by that's why I openly hand out tips to help that extra mile and show my appreciation of the hard work they do.
No other complaints here. And it's almost like I feel I would love to return there if only they could accommodate a family of 6. Tho I return mostly because of the staff friendliness and the comfort of home away from home.
By the way the only other big problem I had was when one derelict woman who sat on the ashtray outside the front and wouldn't get up off it when I wanted to throw my cigarette butt out when I asked her to move. Count your lucky stars I never whooped you and made you seen the back of your eyelids for 40 mins. I'm sure you were having an ugly day cos you looked pretty sour and ugly. You weren't going to make me ruin my holiday by getting me locked up.
Thank you Intercontinental for a great stay and beautiful hospitality. I couldn't ask for more.

• Stayed October 2013
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Spend 5 nights. Stayed previously at the Mandarin and Peninsula

The good:
- location: near the shopping malls, and 15mins walk from enterprise center
- friendly staff
- good size room (executive king) and well appointed
- comfy bed
- fast internet access (free for Gold members)

The not so good
- not soundproof. Can hear the room next door, and the car outside

how does it rate compare to my previous stayed? not bad at all. The hotel is in better condition inside than the Mandarin Oritental, and the furniture in better state.

Same level as the Pen.

Would I choose it again: probably yes

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Manila, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear axelgfrsyd,

We truly appreciate you taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel. We are very glad that you were able to use the location of the hotel to your advantage and we appreciate the compliments on our rooms and staff. It is unfortunate the noise challenges you encountered prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We have taken note of this issue and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Thank you again for your feedback. We look forward to serving you again soon.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

This hotel is in a good location, and although probably close to 50 years old, very well maintained...but the good part is the excellent staff throughout. A particular, detail of their service that I liked, is that whenever they got a taxi for me, they handed me a card with the taxi driver details, etc. (as is done by some other high end hotels)...but then every time, they also made sure that the driver turned on the taxi meter (and I had never expereinced that at another hotel)..As a result, I never had any had discussion at the destination with the taxi driver as to what the fare should have been as happens occasssionally, when the driver "accidentally" forgets to turn on the meter and I had not paid enough attention and asked the driver to turn it on.

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

I stayed in this hotel during my recent business trip. The hotel is perhaps one of the first star rated hotel in Makati , however they have not renovated the property. As a result the interiors are quite hotel and the rooms are quite small. The bathrooms are really very small . The breakfast is a vast spread yet the food quality is not up to the mark.
The staff is very polite and co-operative which is a big plus for the hotel. They may need to renovate the hotel or else they will loose out on tourists.

Dear Tarun1971,

Thank you so much for your candid review of our hotel. It is nice to know that you found our staff to be polite and attentive to your needs. I deeply regret that the breakfast served was not completely to your liking. Additionally, your comments about our property being in need of renovations have been noted and will be used for upgrades needed.

I hope you can give our hotel another try should your travels bring you back to the area.

Regards,

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare
Riyadh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

i stayed in makati intercontinental hotel for 6 nights.
as i am an ambassador member of IHG i got upgrade from superior room to a suite with minimal amount to pay.
i was in premier suite ( i highly suggest this type of suite to small families as there was a 4 persons dining table and kitchen / small bar area however no separate seating area.

i then asked to change this to executive suite and pay more so i got the advantage of separate seating area since i got business and visitors. this suite has complete privacy of the bed room.

the star thing of this hotel is the staff. they so much kind and helpful in all aspect you might think about.
the location is at the best area in makati linked with the shopping malls glorietta. adjacent to the best restaurants.
the hotel may be the first hotel built in the best area of makati however it is maintaing the good shape and quality.
the administration i think they have or soon should have plan for renovation because i think changes should be done especially the beds and bed sheets as well as the bathrooms.

the club lounge at floor 14 was excellent and the service is unbeatable.

thanks for all staff especially the ones i dealt with like juliana from concierge,

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Been to InterContinental Manila? Share your experiences!