“Tired property” 3 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Manila

You added InterContinental Manila to your Saves list
InterContinental Manila
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Ayala Avenue | Ayala Center, Makati, Luzon 1226, Philippines   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #22 of 72 Hotels in Makati
Hong Kong
“Tired property”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I spent 4 nights here for about PHP8,000 per night. In general, the hardware was absolutely NOT up to Intercon standard but the service was ok. This tired property is significantly cheaper than other 5-star hotels in Makati for a reason.

My reservation clearly showed me that I had a double bed room but I was told that there was no more double bed room. After repeated requests, I was given one. However, there was some problem with the toilet seat which couldn't be fixed and I was upgraded to a suite.
The condition of the room (both the standard room and suite) indicated that the latest renovation was done at least 15 years ago. The bed sheet and the pillows looked very old as well.

This hotel has the worst gym ever for a 4/5-star property. On the second night, I went to the gym (seems to be outsourced) at about 7pm. The tiny gym was filled with a lot of customers. About 40-50 women were having a dancing class with very loud music. There were queues for the equipment and I could barely find a space to stand. On another night at about 10pm, I went there again and found that one jogging machine was free. Some parts are broken, for instance, the cover of the fan was missing. When I started jogging, I heard some weird sound as well. I couldn't bear the noisy environment together with the broken equipment and I left the gym after 5 minutes.

Room Tip: Don't pay for a suite as it doesn't worth at all. You can't even watch TV comfortably as...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Manila, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Dear Brian N,

Thank you for sharing your recent staying experience with us. We are committed to providing our guests with the quality services and facilities. We sincerely regret we fell short of our goal in this instance. We appreciate your taking the time to advise us of your dissatisfaction by sending your review, we'll try our best to look after your concerns and step towards improvement of our services. Thank you again and looking forward to serving you in future.

Regards,
Brenda J.
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Southeast Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

The pickup at the airport was interesting, as the sign bearer was not there, nor did anyone know where the Intercontinental lounge was located, say 20 meters away on a curve outside of view from the terminal exits. Once I found the Intercontinental lounge (Really a large room, but nicely air conditioned) I was offered a water while I waited for my car. The trip from the airport was uneventful, but it was noticeably bumpy on the roads, and the roadways themselves more of a survival driving arena, where the most aggressive driver gets ahead.

Check in was prompt, and I was upgraded to a larger room. The Lobby was very nice, with marble and grand decorations. Segue now to the 5th floor, and the signs of the hotels age started to show. Older floor carpet, wooden walls, very old lighting fixtures in the hallways, and a musty smell that just belongs to aged properties.

The room felt even older than the hallway, but I did like the arrangement of the bed at one end out of the line of fire from the air conditioning, unlike the work desk was which was a "blow on me" scenario while the AC was on. Trust me that the AC had to remain on..It was deadly hot outside. The room carpet looked and felt ancient, but was clean. The bed was comfortable. The room, however had serious issues in it's electrical. While there were plenty of lamps and the room was brightly lit, turning off the lights by anything but the switch at each lamp resulted in a discotheque atmosphere, as stray voltage (probably from bad grounding) made all the light bulbs blink rapidly. John Travolta would have felt very at home on a Saturday night. I became used to it, especially since the one next to the bed had no switch.

The bathroom was larger than normal, with a tub shower fairly large vanity, and toilet. The water indeed ran from comfortable to scalding hot IF you set the comfortable zone on the warmer side. I was able to manage this by keeping the flow cooler than normal, thus the sudden hot spikes weren't so bad. The tub had a shower curtain, which was seriously moldy. The housekeeper changed it out when he noticed it in week 2. The tub drained poorly each day since check in, until one day it stopped draining. I gave up at that point and complained. It was fixed by that evening.

The room phone system was creaky, with old handsets and very static filled connections. I had to hold in the line with my hand to use the bed-side phone.

The AC vents had black mold on them. It was probably from them blowing moldy air on me at the work desk that I contracted a sinus infection while in house.

The hotel did have a pool, which looked nice. However there was a parking deck of sorts in back of it where smokers and observers hung out and just started at the pool goers. Creepy.

Then there was the Gold's Gym. I wanted so desperately to run outside rather than indoors, but the pollution level was intense from cars and Jeepney's. The hotel gym was managed by Gold's gym. A big sign upon entering detailed that A. Bring your own towel from the room and B. Bring your own water from the room, which was cheap. Well, the cheapness also carried through to the non-working or faulty equipment. My treadmill skipped, slipped, and outright quit at one point, piece of junk that it was. As nobody at the gym had any kind of customer service attitude (odd, as this was the one place in Manila I found NOT to care about customers) equipment was left to rot.

The Hotel is located at a very good locale near the Glorietta 4,5, and SM malls, with connections to Landmark and the Greenbelt plus the rest of the Glorietta Mall sections. There is an underground walkway outside the lobby to the Glorietta malls. It is thru a crowded car filled parking garage. Pedestrians are road kill and not respected by cars. Fear the cars and do NOT expect them to stop for you, even at the intersection crosswalks.

Get used to the Assault rifle, shotgun, and handgun toting security guards. They are visible and everywhere in Makati City. The hotel also checked cars for bombs underneath, and checks all backpacks and bags upon entering, as do the malls. At least the hotel wasn't surrounded by razor wire as the one in Jakarta was.

Customer service was the best part of the stay. All staff perpetually smiled and said "Good Morning or Evening. They were all exceedingly polite. I donated some clothing to the poor thru the Hotel, which the concierge was helpful in arranging.

As the country is very Christian, it was great to find a wonderful nearby Chapel called the Greenbelt Chapel. The Glorietta 5 advertised it would have mass starting in August. That will be VERY near the hotel, vs the 15 minute walk to the Greenbelt area.

Check out was uneventful. as was the ride back to the airport. It took about 25 minutes in light traffic. I have heard heavy traffic is monstrous in Manila.

I received more of a view of the airport when leaving Manila thru Terminal 1. The check in area is falling apart, literally ceiling panels falling or drooping low, the flat screen TV's above the desks were all covered, and in general the area was seriously old and dirty. Yuck!

Room Tip: Do not face the highway, which is always noisy. Facing Ayala Center is noisy but less so. The Jeepne...
Sao Paulo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I booked the Intercontinental in Manila to be close to Makati.
I read reports that were not complimentary about the upkeep. But I was surprised at the high standards. Good lobby with good security but no in your face.
The club lounge was spacious and good for one on one meetings. Great breakfast. Good sized room. Surprisingly good food and choice at cocktails in the club lounge. Friendly, helpful and great value. The location for Makati and Global City is excellent.

Room Tip: Ask for a club room....a little extra cost and pool facing...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Christopher_Wichlan, Resident Manager at InterContinental Manila, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear denniscasey,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent trip to the Philippines. We are very happy to know that you had a pleasant and memorable experience in our hotel. Your feedback inspires us to be the best host to all our guests.

We are sincerely looking forward to welcoming you at InterContinental Manila again.

Kind regards,

Christopher Wichlan
Resident Manager
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

This hotel has seen better days , but is very good value being very close to the CBD of Makati district. You are close to shopping malls and financial district. The best thing about hotel for me is the very good breakfast restaurant called the Jeepney. Which has a great selection of breads and pastries , service goes without saying is excellent.

Room Tip: High floor best
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Manila, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear wizardj007,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We strive everyday to create special experiences one guest at a time and we are happy you were able to experience it. We strive to give great and impressive service to all of our guests and it makes us happy to read we exceeded your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back to our establishment. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Krysllin G.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Ideal place to stay, located in financial district of Makati abuot 20 minutes from the airport.Hotel is situated across the road from Glorietas Mall and number of up market shops and restaurants.
The room is on the small size but feels spacious and kept clean. As we were only in Manila for three days we opted for a standard room.
Some areas of the hotel are in need of refurbishment. ie. carpet are in not so good condition in some areas.
Pool is quite nice but a little small but was ok.Breakfast was delicious and reasonably priced.
In all for a Intercontinental Hotel brand was affordable.

Room Tip: To avoid the traffic noise get the rooms facing the pool and garden.
Encinitas, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

When traveling and having a short layover we try and stay at Intercontinentals, so, we have quite a few to compare the Manila hotel to. The Hotel is located in a good part of Manila that has the better hotels, restaurants and shopping. While there were armed guards every where which was a bit off-putting but we never felt threatened or uncomfortable. The hotel is a bit old and dated-But the room we had was delightful and the staff was as professional and friendly of any hotel we have ever stayed in. They more than made up for the slightly dated hall ways , carpets etc. We did fine the breakfast buffet to be less than we have come to expect of Intercontinental's, some of which like Bali are amazing. All that said we will be staying here again next time we are passing thru Manila.

Room Tip: Request King beds as the Queens are closer to twin bed size.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Batangas City, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Stayed 5 nights on business recently. I've stayed at this hotel before but this was the longest period as previously I stayed only one to two nights. The room was small with none of the more modern features you see in newer hotels such as Ipod docks or espresso machines. There was a dearth of closet space as well and the bathroom was likewise small with hardly any space between the sink, toilet and tub/shower.

The bed was king sized and sleep was comfortable enough. There was a pillow menu though I did not really avail of any of the specialized pillow choices. There is only a master light switch at the bedside and entrance and there was no night light. You'd have to switch the various light fixtures at the work desk, bedside and near the window one by one or use the master switch and be in total darkness. In the morning when you wake up in the dark and use the same master switch then you'd blind you may blind yourself from all the lights being on. They should really install a proper lighting control panel where you can control the various lights right at your bedside. I thought this was a common enough feature for hotels of this class.

Service was nothing special. Check-in was fast as I arrived rather late in the evening already. Check out was slower as there was a queue of people and while there were several people at the front desk, only three counters were actually open to attend to guests. Turndown service was irregular and odd. Some nights I would find the curtains drawn and all the lights on but my bed was not yet turned down as the throw pillows were still on. Another night there was no turndown service done at all. I ordered room service one time and the food was brought up promptly and at the right temperature but this to me just meets expectations and is nothing above the ordinary.

Breakfast at the Cafe Jeepney was perhaps one bright point. They serve Philippine mangoes along with other tropical fruits as part of the spread. At the same time they also serve a number of Filipino dishes. I though this was certainly a good way to showcase local food to foreign guests.

Location was certainly a plus point. Glorietta Mall and SM are across the road. The MRT is just a few steps further. Dining and shopping options abound.

Overall I find this hotel to be a run of the mill choice in this location. Nothing really special though for a business trip is certainly fit for purpose.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Manila, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear RRGT,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. I am happy to know that you found our bed accommodations to be comfortable and our location was convenient for you. Kindly be assured that your additional comments have been noted and will be reviewed by the management to consider for further enhancements needed at our facility.

We value you as our guest and we hope to have an opportunity of hosting you again soon!

Regards,

Pam G
IHGCare

Been to InterContinental Manila? Share your experiences!