“Location, location, location...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Manila

Save Saved
You added InterContinental Manila to your Saves list
InterContinental Manila
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Ayala Avenue | Ayala Center, Makati, Luzon 1226, Philippines   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
IHG Special up to 25% Off
Ranked #15 of 64 hotels in Makati
Yokohama, Japan
“Location, location, location...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

I stayed two nights in early March. In the heart of Makati, just a one or two minute walk to assorted malls of Glorietta and the Green Belt. This means that there are heaps of shops, restaurants, bars and of course...ATMs. ^^ The hotel itself is a bit dated...but still really nice with great service and super clean. Complimentary turndown service with slippers and fruit...even for the regular room rate was a nice change from the Hilton brands which I usually stay with...(as you only get that service in Executive rooms with Hilton).

Moreover, the hotel has a club on the 1st floor (near the pool) called Icon. It gets super busy around midnight and packed with the mid 20s to early 30s crowd of well heeled Filipinos and tourists alike. The buffet breakfast was really great as well with a HUGE assortment of food (everything from typical breakfast fare to lunch items).

Pros:
Location - seriously...you want to stay in Makati if visiting.
Club Icon - for the hip
Breakfast - super extensive

Cons:
None...all around a great place.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Christopher_Wichlan, General Manager at InterContinental Manila, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the wonderful comments. I am more than glad to know that you had a great experience at the property. Our location is definitely one of our assets, being situated in the heart of the Makati business district. Also with our food, both regular and new guests alike share the same great sentiments.

I look forward to having you back to the property.

643 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Excellent Makati location, very polite personnel, clean and quite rooms.
I was allowed to use the room until 2pm. Fantastic if you need to take a shower before flying to Singapore in the afternoon. The size of the room was average but clean and quite. The shower probably needs an update. There is a super market next door. It’s very convenient if you need to buy fruits or a beer. Usually, I don’t drink beer but due to the climate, I enjoyed a San Miguel Pilsen.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Christopher_Wichlan, Manager at InterContinental Manila, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valuable comments and for choosing InterContinental Manila as your home for this summer. I am delighted to note that you have enjoyed your stay.

We hope to have more opportunities to welcome you back.

Best regards,

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Very efficient courteous concierge staff-checkin and checking out was carried out with short span of time. Clean room a bit dated room. Best part was the breakfast buffet (included on my room rate) which gives guest wide range to choose from- again, staff at the restaurant was responsive and prompt with any request . Overall, a good experience

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Christopher_Wichlan, Resident Manager at InterContinental Manila, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to convey your comments regarding your recent stay with us. Your willingness to share your thoughts with us is genuinely appreciated. We look forward with pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Resident manager
Subic
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Great location, close by everything, but despite about a dozen employees lingering around the foyer, line-ups in front of the ONE employee doing the checking in. Likewise the restaurant - the cooks at the buffet couldn't/wouldn't fulfill a simple request, so I left after waiting over 20 min.
It goes on - the computer at the business office wouldn't print a boarding pass, so had to go elsewhere.
An E/Mail to management on these specific issues went unanswered, so here's my complaints about this hotel in public.
Bottom line on this hotel - GREAT location, but just too many service issues.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

It is with deep regret to learn about the shortfalls on some of the services that you have come to expect from us. Rest assured that we treat this matter seriously and that the management has taken the necessary actions to address the areas of concern.

Kindest regards and sincerest apologies,

Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

The service, as always at the Intercontinental, was very good. However, the room was lacking compared to other hotels I have stayed at in this chain. The decor was dated. Furniture and carpet needs to be replaced. The sink area of the bathroom was fine, but the shower area needed to be updated. Especially, considering our room had been upgraded. It was not what I have come to expect from the Intercontinental. Nothing was terrible but nothing about the room was great either.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent stay with us. The InterContinental Manila is committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities and we sincerely regret we did not meet our goal in this instance. Rest assured that your comments will be shared to our management team for the purpose of bringing improvements needed.
We appreciate your loyalty and hope that you will give us the pleasure of hosting you again on your next visit.

Kindest regards and sincerest apologies,

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I got upgraded to a Junior Suite and got lounge access which was nice. The view from the lounge was good as was the free flow of bubbly during Happy Hour. :)

The room was odd--recently remodeled but the shape was an L where the entrance and bathroom were on the short part of the L and the bed and desk were on the long part. Odd but workable.

Would I stay here again? sure! The location was good, the breakfast is excellent and access to the Club Floor makes it all worthwhile. Too bad there is no balcony where we can have a drink to watch the sunset at the Club.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write about your visit.
We are delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us. At the InterContinental Manila, we always strive to maintain high standards of hospitality and render outstanding personalized service to our guests to the best of our abilities, and it is always gratifying to know that they are met and appreciated.
Your kind remarks will be shared with our entire team.

Guam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Wasn't this one of the first luxury hotels in Makati? Well, it is older but has kept up with its age through refurbishments. Kind of like plastic surgery. I like it, and I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here. You can tell these Grande Dames in Makati and Manila, they all top out at about 20 floors. Let's see, Makati has the Peninsula, Mandarin, and Intercon. Manila has the Century Park, old Hilton nka something else, etc etc. Anyway, I think the Intercon tops off at 10 or 12 floors, fine with me. Who needs to be on a 40th floor? I also remember this hotel from 1989 during the coup, but that is a different story.

I had Business Floor privileges during my stay, which was real nice, even though I had a standard room. Thus, I checked in and out from this floor and did not have to deal with the front desk. The ladies on the Business Floor are always the cream of the crop, and these ladies were the model of efficiency. Helpful in all requests, nothing was too burdensome for them. They do tend to try and sell you the their rewards membership deal, might be worth it if you stay here or their sister hotels a lot. But, I don't care for the hard sell when I just want to check in and relax. Anyway, these ladies were a first class act. The floor itself is very big. It makes the Club Floors on the Mandarin and Peninsula look like closets. Spacy and roomy, nice view over Forbes Park and Global City when they open the sun curtains (which is almost never). The rest of the view could be nice, but it is odd because of a fence type thing which goes around the outside of the top floor. Also, it looks like at one time one part of the top floor was open air, so you could get a view. But, they sealed this off, and you can't thus see over the sealed-off area. I like views, so this was a bit of a disappointment. Club Floor food was excellent, great drinks of all types, fruits, all well-stocked. Very friendly and attentive staff. First class operation up there.

I think I had a standard room, which was kinda small. View was nice, overlooking Glorietta Mall. This hotel has the same predicament that the Mandarin and Clark Holiday Inn have - they exist in a structure that was built many years ago, and thus have to conform to those space requirements. Hence, you have smaller rooms and bathrooms. Yes, the bathroom is kinda small, but it is not too small to function in. I endured the same situation I have repeatedly endured in the Makati Mandarin, that of the "scalding water" blast during a shower. I think this is a function of an old piping system. Every now and then, during a shower, the water temperature would go from my selected grade to piping hot. Nothing beats taking a shower wondering when the next spike is about to occur. This is a defect and I feel needs to be addressed. My room had all the great amenities of a 5-star hotel, and was pretty much newly refurbished. Just on the small side, though.

I did not partake of the pool, but walked around the area. It is on the ground level, with nice greenery. Nothing spectacular or disappointing, looked just fine to me.

I loved the hotel restaurant, The Jeepney. Excellent buffet. Menu items were super, too (Club Sandwich was outstanding). Breakfasts here were delicious. Staff was very nice. I was torn whether to take my breakfast on the Business Floor or The Jeepney restaurant, both were that impressive.

One of the selling points of this hotel is its obvious location to Glorietta Mall. You can actually get into the mall through a ground walkway (via the mall underground parking lot). I prefer walking outside, but it was raining cats and dogs so this access was quite fortunate.

All in all, I would definitely recommend this hotel despite my small critiques. If you are here for shopping, it's almost a no-brainer. It is convenient to everything in Makati and Global City. It is also right off of EDSA if you need to go into Manila. Even though it is older (the structure, not the innards), it is a Grande Dame which still holds its drawing power. Had it not been for the hot water attacks and size of the room (a standard room, maybe the superior rooms are bigger), I would have maxed out the place to excellent. If I was just grading the Business Floor, it would get 5 stars. Yes, I like this place overall.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking time to convey your comments regarding your recent stay with us. We are delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Rest assured that your valuable comments are well-noted and will be shared with our team.

Resident Manager

Been to InterContinental Manila? Share your experiences!