“The latest news is the long needed refurbishment is underway!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Manila

Save Saved
You added InterContinental Manila to your Saves list
InterContinental Manila
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Ayala Avenue | Ayala Center, Makati, Luzon 1226, Philippines   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
IHG Special up to 25% Off
Ranked #15 of 64 hotels in Makati
Nashville, TN USA
“The latest news is the long needed refurbishment is underway!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

I statyed twice in a 7 days and so my expeirence is a combination of both stays.
Clearly the staff are friendly and attentive.
The hotel announced that the probably long overdue refurbishment just startedm but it did not have any impact on my stays.
Check in and out is a very long process as mentioned in other review. I am not sure why. Staff regularly apoligized for my wait so they realize there is a problem, so now when will this be corrected?
I was upgraded to a junior suite so size was great.
Hallways and rooms were very very much in need of upgrades. I had poor feelings until I saw the notice the work as begun. My room was very dated and carpets and furniture were worn.
They charge for internet at 800 peso per day and speed is not great. This irks me.
Security outside the hotel is large, but why so much in the lobby?
Bed was very comfortable and I slept well.
Breakfast buffet was satisfactory.
The hotel car costs are crazy and as mentioned by others the yellow cabs are fine for many trips for major savings.
The location keeps me and my company coming back. I am looking forward to my next visit afetr the refurbishment is completed in August.

, Manager at InterContinental Manila, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Dear Guest,

First of all, thank you for relaying your feedback on us. We value every comment of our guests like you as these help us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs.

It is with deep regret to learn about your disappointments on some of our services and product offerings. Please accept my apologies as this is definitely not the InterContinental Manila's level of service. Rest assured that the management has taken note of your insights and that proper actions will be taken to address your concerns.

Your patronage and support is of great importance to us and we the pleasure will definitely be ours to welcome you back.

642 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Korean first
Brussels
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

I have stayed at the InterContinental Manila at Makati twice during the last 2 months, once mid-May, once mid-June. I decided for Makati because of the proximity to the airport, which can be important, if you arrive during rush hours. I chose the IC, because I'm a Platinum Ambassador with IHG.

The staff is nice and helpful, but has neither the training nor the performance of "impeccable service" I have experienced at other Intercontinental hotels elsewhere in the world.

I suppose everybody's noticed that InterContinental hotels always surf on the edge of old-school luxury and stuffy-didn't have the funds-to upgrade-the place. Typically, it's the service that makes the difference between the two, because there are very very few IC properties with a pretence to be a modern hotel in the 2012 sense of the word.

With this hotel, as others have pointed out, its not difficult to tell, on which side of the edge it is situated. It cries out to you: "Help me, I'm so obviously out of fashion" ... even for Manila standards, where some of the shopping centers also resemble those of Singapore in 1990's...

Common areas are airy and large, and command an old-fashioned authority of check-in desks overseeing the oncoming customers. Lots of beige marble and brass ... Gym is of the "Gold" brand, something I recall used to be fashionable back in the time and that's the way it looks ... The pool is actually quite nice ... in all fairness the weather didn't allow me to use it a lot.

The biggest drawbacks are the rooms. During my first stay, I was upgraded to a Junior Suite (compliments of by status), which was a good size, but clearly old-fashioned style with furniture in desperate need of replacement, a huge bathroom / dressing room suite in popular colors (of the middle of the second half of the last century). Despite my status, no bf was offered. During my second stay I had booked a weekend deluxe room package including breakfast. That time I was upgraded to a club room (the next higher category roomo than deluxe), with no access to the Club [which I thought was very cheeky ... given that I only used one of the 2 breakfast, and that the club rooms are actually small sized standard rooms, which have received a black paintjob on some of furnitures some ten years or so ago]... So althoughI paid more, this stay was even less comfortable, as far as the room went.

Breakfast was buffet style and well stocked and sort of "innovative" on some of the items presented.

Well this property is not worth the money charged, this is for sure, and I will be looking into alternative hotels next time I need to go to Manila, but other hotels in Makati (Shangri-la, Dusit Thani, ...) also don't look too inviting from the outside, neither...

One other off-topic hint: don't go for the prepaid taxi scheme at the airport (white taxi), even less so at the hotel (Europcar Transportation desk). Metered taxis (the yellow ones) are perfectly fine. A desk at the airport (and the hotel) are taking down the details of the car and your name and destination, so it clearly gives you some security. The metered fare should be around 200-250 PHP to Makati (while the airport prepaid is around PHP 500, with the driver expecting a hefty tip, since none of the fare, goes to his pocket); the hotel's limo is a ridiculous PHP 2800 ...; so my tip: take a metered (yellow) taxi both ways. Tell the driver, you are paying him 300 or 400, ask him to take the 'Skyway' (which is another PHP 20), and make him cross-over to Terminal 3 first, which jumps a big part of the traffic jam. (40 PHP = 1 USD).

, Manager at InterContinental Manila, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valuable insights. Your willingness to spare some of your time to relay your comments is genuinely appreciated.

Let me take this opportunity to apologize for your dissatisfaction on some of our products and services. I would like to assure you that we take each comment seriously as it has always been the goal of InterContinental Manila to deliver only the best quality services and facilities. Your feedback has been forwarded to the Department Heads involved to address your concerns.

On a happy note, I am very pleased to inform you that we are currently performing guest floor enhancements to improve our services. Having said this, we would like to invite you back for you to personally experience our newly enhanced rooms.

Thank you and we look forward to your return.

Gran Canaria, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

Breakfast is pricey, Entrance to the rooms leaves you wondering who designed that pinhole,. and 800 pesos a day for internet that is slow is really not worth it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Christopher_Wichlan, Manager at InterContinental Manila, responded to this review, June 14, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for relaying your concerns with us. Allow me to apologize for your dissatisfaction on some of our products and services. Please be assured that we have taken note of your feedback as these help us target areas of improvement.

Your patronage and support is of great importance to us. We hope that we can welcome you back in order to demonstrate the true InterContinental level of service that we are known for.

Aiea, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

The larger (executive?) rooms are very nice. Standard room seems very small. Wonderful service from concierge, front desk business center. A little slow in the restaurant. Breakfast is just OK. Lobby bar is nice but very small. I'm not happy with the gym. It's a Gold's Gym and if you're "only" a hotel guest they act like they don't want you to come in there. They won't even give you a towel - you have to bring one from your room. Their attitude stinks too. The pool area is a real retreat from the bustle of the city.

Room Tip: If you're Priority Club you may get an upgrade from the standard - otherwise look somewhere else...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for conveying your valuable feedback.

It comes with distress to learn about your dissatisfaction on some of our products and services as it is InterContinental Manila's goal to provide only the best to our valued guests. Please allow me to apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Rest assured that the your comments are forwarded to the Department Heads concern to make sure that proper action has been taken to address your concerns. Furthermore, your remarks will also be forwarded to the management of Gold's Gym, which is one of the hotel's concessionaire.

We hope that we can welcome you back in an effort to redeem your otherwise good opinion of the hotel.

Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

This hotel is unimpressive as it looks tired and has a really tiny room and bathroom. The service is just as bad, as checking-in at 7pm took me 20 minutes.

The few times that I walk in and out of the hotel, the security and staff around the hotel lobby would greet my Caucasian friend who was walking FIVE steps behind me, and ignore me (an Asian)! And this is in spite of me smiling at them. I am unsure if I should categorise this sort of behaviour as inequality of service or racism. I have been told by Filippino friends that they have heard of similar experiences, and because I could vaguely pass off as a Filippino Chinese, they can understand why such treatment has been given to me. Tip: If you are an Asian and wants good service, you may wish to consider staying somewhere else.

The saving grace of Intercontinental is its location, which is in the Greenbelt area, and that means accessibility to good shopping and food.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valuable feedback.

I am deeply concerned to learn about this very isolated incident you have encountered at the property during your recent stay with us. Please accept my apologies for the negative impression this may have brought about.

While I acknowledge and sympathize your concerns, let me guarantee that we always strive to deliver the InterContinental Experience to each and everyone of our guests, regardless of their race and ethnicity. We treat this matter seriously as the well-being and sensibilities of our guests is of paramount importance to us. Rest assured that the management will take the necessary actions to address the concerns you have highlighted.

We hope that you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back and serve you in a manner that you always deserve.

Kindest regards and sincerest apologies,

Executive Assistant Manger
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012 via mobile

Had one night over stay after week long vacation in Boracay. When asking about transfer from hotel to airport, I was quoted a price of 3800 PHP and was told the trip could take up to one hour at 7AM in the morning. Got in a taxi the next morning, the trip took about 20 minutes and costed 150 PHP. Also, as a platinum member, I did not get a room upgrade which was the first time.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Christopher_Wichlan, Manager at InterContinental Manila, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for relaying your concerns to us. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience and negative impression you may have had because of this incident.

Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our beloved guests. We are committed to investigate on the incident to properly address the areas of concern. In this regard, we would like to request you to send us additional information which may help us in the procedure. Please feel free to reach us through private message to this account.

Again, thank you for bringing this matter to our attention and we look forward to hearing from you.

Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

Check in and out was quick. The rooms are business style. The beds are comfortable and the food in the Jeepney restaurant was good (breakfast buffet) with both ready made or made to order. The staff was friendly and always helpful.
We where transferred to this hotel after our 1st choice was overbooked. The staff was helpful and understanding since my wife had arrived first. The staff took care of all her needs and where extremely understanding of her situation.
The shopping area is across the road (Glorietta) with any type of shopping or food your heart desires, including many US brand of restaurants.
The pool is clean and a quiet area of the hotel considering it is outside and surrounded by heavy traffic.

Room Tip: Modern style rooms, business oriented type. Cleaning staff is great. Only negative, no free WI F...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Christopher_Wichlan, Manager at InterContinental Manila, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for sharing your wonderful experience with us. We are glad that you appreciated InterContinental Manila with our finest features and product offerings - from excellent service and sumptuous food, to our serene pool and strategic location.

We are all looking forward to many more opportunities to serve you again and be your home way from home.

InterContinental Manila

Been to InterContinental Manila? Share your experiences!