“Rooms seemed more like a Holiday Inn” 3 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Manila

Save Saved
You added InterContinental Manila to your Saves list
InterContinental Manila
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Ayala Avenue | Ayala Center, Makati, Luzon 1226, Philippines   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
IHG Special up to 25% Off
Ranked #17 of 64 hotels in Makati
Nashville, TN USA
“Rooms seemed more like a Holiday Inn”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

My first stay at this location.The previous reviewers often commented positively in the staff and the location. No question- staff are fantastic and location is great for business or leisure.
Security at entrance is very tight as is typical of Manila.
Sadly, I did not receive a room upgrade for my status with the hotel. I found my standard room to exactly what I would expect from a Holiday Inn, but not the premier brand Intercontinental.
Example - a rather smallish 32" flat screen compared to similar hotels. My alarm clock was a traditional old fashioned radio alarm clock, but most of my stays in any hotels lately include a docking station for iPod,MP3 player etc.
The TV was set for wrong resolution and all words on bottom of screen was lost. It took some time to get that corrected.
Bathroom was cramped and dated. Bathtub was much older than the rest of the room.
Room lighting was all wall or floor fixtures- it was adequate, but lacked the contemporary feeling if many 4 & 5 star hotels.
Same with the bed- looked nice, but was just ok.
I was so angry to have a 800 peso (@$20) fee for internet, when Holidays Inns website now promotes all hotels have internet included. I guess I have to downgrade to Holiday Inn to get this service.
Car service provided by hotel was close to double other hotels I have used recently, so I took a meter taxi for 25% of hotel car.
Service at bar overlooking the pool - missing items on drink order and excessive time for snack food, but again great staff attitude.
The pool is large and popular.
Summary - I might give this hotel another try...maybe, but personally the dated rooms did not impress me.

Room Tip: Do not get a standard room
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

637 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

I stayed at the Intercontinental Manila from 23 to 25 August 2011. It is about a 30 minute ride from the International Airport (provided no traffic jams). The hotel is right next to many shopping complexes (Glorietta and SM Mall) with many food options.

The standard room was reasonably sized and generally well-appointed. The toilet is however a little small with a low ceiling. The water in the bath tub took some time to clear after a shower so we had to call for help but after it was fixed, it was ok for the remaining days. There is a nice desk to work from, flat screen tv and nice armchair which I found useful and comfortable to sit in while expressing breastmilk.

As I pump breastmilk, I had to get help to freeze the icepacks. The room service staff were very helpful in accommodating my request. On checkout, the front desk staff and room service staff were also very helpful in coordinating because I needed to store the milk and icepack in the hotel fridge as my flight was in the evening.

Breakfast spread was very good. Food quality was also quite high. Service was warm, friendly and generally efficient.

My only grouse is having to pay for use of internet. The charge is about 800 pesos for 24 hours usage. That works out to about S$24. As many hotels in other parts of the world do provide complimentary wifi, it would be great if Intercontinental could look into offering free internet as well.

Overall, the stay was comfortable, pleasant and enjoyable.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Christopher_Wichlan, Manager at InterContinental Manila, responded to this review, September 5, 2011
Dear Guest,

Your willingness to share your thoughts with us is highly appreciated.

It has always been a pleasure for us to deliver exceptional service that the InterContinental Manila is known for. Your comments have been shared with our staff who are equally delighted that they were able to serve you in a manner that you always deserve.

We have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments and suggestions as we rely on you, our guests on how we can better meet your needs.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the property in the near future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

Wonderful staff in this hotel, who could not have been more helpful or polite. They remembered your name and your preferences.

Really nice sized pool, lovely big rooms and it has a great location in city centre.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Christopher_Wichlan, Manager at InterContinental Manila, responded to this review, August 31, 2011
Dear Guest,

I wish to thank you for your wonderful review. We are more than happy that you have enjoyed your recent stay at the property. This will surely be an inspiration for us to continue our efforts in making the InterContinental Manila a leader in hospitality excellence.

We look forward with pleasure to welcome you back in the near future.

Best regards,

Changshu, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

I have to say with the new staff here at the Intercontinental Hotel Manila has made great strides to be one of the best in Manila. The personal touch is something you don't see anymore. But being a long time member of Club Priority and staying at many hotel all over Asia i will say that Intercontinental Hotel overall service has improved to a level with many of the 5-star hotels in the area and in most cases has surpassed them. I would like to say thank you to Aimee Dizon and the rest of the staff of the Club Lounge from Christain , Triccia, kate, Juhn, Marion. Thank you for making my family feel at home. I appreciate everyone's participation and I look forward to my next visit in the near future.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel many times and have always received great service. Food on the club level is very good and the environment is very relaxing. Rooms could use some renovations but still very adequate. Best part of this hotel is the location - right in the middle of Makati near Green Belt and Glorietta. Easy to get a taxi compared to the Mandarin or Peninsula Hotel locations. Strongly recommended.

Room Tip: I have not had a bad room but some rooms have very small bathrooms.
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments.

We are more than glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is our pleasure to bring the InterContinental experience to you. We look forward with pleasure to being of service to you again in your future visits to Manila.

California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

Pros: It's in the heart of makati. Everything is walking distance.
Great helpful staff.
Yummy breakfast.

Cons: I don't even know where to begin. So I got a room in a nonsmoking floor but the second I opened the door, I got a big whiff of nasty room smell. I immediately asked the reception to change my room and they happily obliged. The other room that I got was not so bad and it was the same nonsmoking floor.

I think this hotel used to be a good hotel but it badly needs renovation. The carpet is nasty. I dare not walk barefoot. The furniture needs some updating as well. I find chipped parts everywhere like an infant was out loose teething on them. Don't get me started with the bathroom. The toilet is hard to flush. I would have to put the toilet covers down to be able to flush. The sink is so small and mine has drainage problems. The shower ceiling is so low that the place is not intercontinental after all as Europeans will have a hard time fitting.

I would not recommend staying here or makati. Go some place else.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
IHGCare, ihg care at InterContinental Manila, responded to this review, August 23, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to let us have your feedback via Trip Advisor.
We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments and suggestions as the InterContinental Manila is geared towards providing the highest level of hospitality to our guests. IHGCare^bj
Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

We stayed here for most of the month of July 11- Aug 11 & had close to a dozen check ins since we were out of town half the time visiting family.

We are Platinum Ambassador members & were absolutely happy with our numerous stays at the IC Manila. We were upgraded to the Club level which offered all days refreshments, tea time & cocktails & light eats in the early evening. All around care was markedly upgraded as well.

Booked a deluxe room on the Holiday Saver rate. Got check in at the Club Lounge & escorted to our room by the Club Manager. Given a Premier room, Club room, a Jr Suite on our first few stays & eventually was given a 1 BR suite for our subsequent stays. Adjacent living room turned into BR for our 13 yo.

The Club Lounge is the clincher in this hotel -
Excellent staff anticipates your needs. This is our nth return to this property so the Butler knew us & our favorite drinks.
Great food selection. Service was tops. Tried the Jeepney Cafe one morning but once I realized I could order anything from the Cafe up in the Lounge, I never returned.

They were very generous with their welcome gifts - leather(?) bound memo pads, luggage tag. Once I started returning the double gifts, they replaced them with a bottle of wine, sodas for the kid & chocolates. There was an abundance of mangoes, bananas, apples & oranges replenished daily

We appreciated the Cocktail Reception to meet with other PC/ Ambassador members & staff. Noted that Senior & mid level Management was always present in the property who made sure they mingled around & met guests.

As we were long/frequent guests, our usual specific requests were already in the room when we got there (pillows, step down transformers etc).

We were at the Peninsula for an overnighter but noticed the difference in hospitality styles of both properties.

IC Manila is our home in Manila. See you folks soon !

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. It is with great delight to read such a wonderful review from you, our valued guest. Here at InterContinental Manila, it has always been our goal to provide excellent service to the best of our abilities. This is why we treat such appreciation of our efforts as our very own success story. Your comments will be shared with our entire staff who are more than pleased to extend their service to you every time.

Thank you for choosing InterContinental Manila as your home here in Manila. We are looking forward to many more opportunities to serve you.

Kindest regards,

InterContinental Manila

Been to InterContinental Manila? Share your experiences!