“Best budget hotel ever.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Saint Illians Inn

You added Saint Illians Inn to your Saves list
Saint Illians Inn
2.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   7461 Santillan Street | Pil del Pilar, Makati, Luzon 1230, Philippines   |
Ranked #8 of 27 Makati B&B and Inns
“Best budget hotel ever.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

I stayed here with my girl for one night only because we attended a concert. Ive been searching for budget hotels/bnb for days a week before the event. I suddenly saw this hotel and read its reviews thus I was enticed to book our night.

Hotel was nice. Its small but the looks of the place is far from your usual bnb's here in Manila. I was surprised that a hotel this nice is priced for so low. Bed was good, shower is clean though small. A/C is cold and the beds.. they are the best. Beds are big enough for us with warm and thick blankets ready. I was not that happy for the breakfast though or probably it was just my taste. Overall, it was a nice experience staying in this hotel. Staffs are professional, the place is surprisingly quiet being at the center of a city.

We are going to another event this month and my girlfriend is requesting for us to stay here again.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Saint Illians Inn, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Apologies for the late response. We are very thankful for your glowing comments. Please come stay with us again! Cheers.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

I've stayed here twice now. first time the room was small but located up just a single flight of stairs. no windows exposing the outside world, instead the window faces onto the main walkway. there is no smoking in the rooms although in the hallway is permitted.
the room themselves are kinda small but ok, aircon worked well.

second time i stayed was much better. on the top floor at the back of the hotel is 2 rooms, mine had a view of the street was recently renovated and much less closed in. if you do not mind the extra stairs its well worth asking for.

staff are pleasant, the young bell boy got me a taxi for the airport at a great rate. food was good. although international cuisine needs a little small detail in perfecting. fish and chips turned out to be fish and crisps. of course any foreigner is usually american by default in the Philippines

over all for the price i paid 2.2k i thought was a little on the expensive side. however the area is nice, mcdonald's is up the road, the neighbors are friendly.and the staff are great. .

Room Tip: go for the 2 rooms on the top floor if you don't mind the stairs.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Apologies for the late response. Thank you very much for your glowing comments. Please come stay with us again. Cheers.
Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Nice, if a bit old, hotel. Rooms comfy but small. Front desk staff nice as can be. No wifi in rooms, but available in lobby. When I checked in I tried to change my reservation (made on the hotel's website) from 4 to 3 days, but was told that is against hotel policy and I had to pay for full reservation, or not check in at all and still get charged for the first night.
They do have left luggage service, which I had planned to use but was notified there is a 10 day maximum (nowhere noted on their website or on the hotel policy paperwork I read at check-in).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Saint Illians Inn, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
No staff would ever say at reception-- pay up or don't check in at all and forfeit any deposits -- as you imply. Courteously informing a guest of something they can or cannot do is never easy; no one likes to be "told"... but we've managed over the years to be kind and courteous when doing business.

Online bookings are paid for using your credit card. It is clearly stated on the confirmation about last minute cancellations. Canceling or shortening a reservation at time of check in qualifies as last minute. Your room has been removed from inventory and made available only for you. Hence a confirmed paid guaranteed deposit that binds both guest and hotel to the terms.

Sorry that we refused to hold your bags for more than 10 days..luggage keep is not a primary service nor a sale-able feature of the hotel. As such it is not advertised nor promoted at all. It is an added courtesy for transiting guests. 10 days is ample if not generous leeway for a guest to take a few days at a resort and still come back to retrieve luggage. It is a huge responsibility but we do it for your convenience. We are not designed as a storage facility and moreover, many have abused this service and have left baggage for extended periods of time.

Thank you for rating us high on other benchmarks of hotel facilities and service, although we took umbrage to the title of your remarks. It could use a little more kindness.

Cheers and happy trails!
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I found this place on the internet, I was staying in Cebu and needed a place it Makati for just one night. Although I only stayed one night and the end I was wishing it was longer as the place was so clean and had so much character. When I booked the room I was offered a transfer from the airport, as I was only staying a night I used a taxi, but it was nice to have the offer. When I arrived we were checked in and shown to our rooms in a very polite manner. I noticed that there were many foreign people checking in throughout the day with a lot who were returning as the service they received was so good.

If you want somewhere to stay which is clean/cheap, and you are not too worried about having a large room, then this is as best as it gets.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Saint Illians Inn, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
A perfect Score!

Its rare that someone is pleased enough to rank us perfect 5 out of 5! It shows clearly that if one is,positive in ones outlook about life one will indeed appreciate the simple clean comfortable unpretentious surrounds we take great efforts in providing.

It confirms that Others who post negative feedback are merely expressing outwardly their own dissatisfaction with what life has given them, and furthermore, that no amount of service will ever please them once they've made up their minds to be dissatisfied.

Thank you for your glowing review!

Cheers! And happy travels!
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

There are some things in this hotel that somehow stick in your memory and even can make you return a second time. The personnel is kind and attentive for one thing, another thing is the design of the place and the rooms. Even though it is simple in a way it is still an attempt to be a boutique hotel in its kind. The rate is not really competitive but similar to other places. Discounts is available for cash payment, but then again it is usually unpractical having to pay large amounts cash all the time and as a foreigner you will end up paying to your bank for every withdrawal. Location is good considering the fact that the Walter mart mall is just a short walk away where you can find many food offerings and shops of all sorts and even a cinema. Wifi is present and working throughout the hotel if you are lucky although in some of the rooms it is not guaranteed. A nice added value was also the presence of DVD's to borrow at the reception to watch on the DVD player that is present in every room, as well as a modern LCD television. Not bad for a budget place of this sort.

Room Tip: If it is necessary to have free wifi in the room, ask for a room near the reception
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Saint Illians Inn, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Yes, everything you said is true ... A very objective comment you have posted which is the best kind. A very fair and unbiased opinion is yours and we thank you. We do wish people would be as fair and objective all the time with our other properties. We have three similar properties and perhaps next time you could try these and write an objective review about them as well. Thank you!
Davao City, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I think there is no other decent place in Makati CBD area that can compare with St. Illian's. The price we paid for our family room is so easy on our budget with the FREE breakfast for 3 people. Plus, they gave us welcome drinks, free popcorn and brewed coffee daily ! The staff are friendly and accommodating. It's the little things they do (like putting a small cookie with your cup of coffee) that indicates they give customer service from the heart. I just wish their room is a little bigger and that they automatically make-up your room daily (I had to request it on the 2nd day). But, my husband was glad not to see any insects at all in the rooms. He is particular on hotel cleanliness.

Overall, this little hotel gets my thumbs-up and we will be back. It might become our "suking" hotel in Manila. God bless, St. Illian's !

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Saint Illians Inn, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Thank you for your glowing praises! We will share your comments with all our staff. Please come back again soon!

Cheers !
Rizal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

They have a promo rate of 995.00 if you're going to stay for only 12 hours. I work in Makati area and I have a flight to catch early morning the next day. I just need a place to sleep and saw that it was highly recommended by many. Tried my luck if there are still available rooms since that promo is on a first come first serve basis. As I step into their lobby it smells fresh and clean. The moment I saw my room, it gave me comfort and homey vibe already. It's not that big, just good enough for two. Complete with toiletries. They also gave me popcorn as a welcome snack. All rooms have DVD players and you can ask for a dvd at the front desk. Wifi is available too. What impressed me the most is when they gave the guidelines and house rules. Right after discussing it, they handed me a calling card and says if I'm not satisfied with their service, I can email their president directly. For me that's a guarantee that they will serve all their clients very well. First time I ever experienced superb service.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Saint Illians Inn, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
it feels wonderful to be appreciated like,this! We will share your comments with all our staff and congratulate them on a job well done. Housekeeping for cleaning the lobby and rooms, front desk for correctly attending,to you. Coffee shop for caring about your pop corn and marketing for giving you a very affordable stay.

Maraming Maraming salamat po! Translated for foreigner readers-- thank you very very much,

Been to Saint Illians Inn? Share your experiences!