“Makati's Hidden Gem” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Saint Illians Inn

Save Saved
You added Saint Illians Inn to your Saves list
Saint Illians Inn
2.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   7461 Santillan Street | Pil del Pilar, Makati, Luzon 1230, Philippines   |
Ranked #2 of 24 Makati B&B and Inns
Davao City, Philippines
“Makati's Hidden Gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I think there is no other decent place in Makati CBD area that can compare with St. Illian's. The price we paid for our family room is so easy on our budget with the FREE breakfast for 3 people. Plus, they gave us welcome drinks, free popcorn and brewed coffee daily ! The staff are friendly and accommodating. It's the little things they do (like putting a small cookie with your cup of coffee) that indicates they give customer service from the heart. I just wish their room is a little bigger and that they automatically make-up your room daily (I had to request it on the 2nd day). But, my husband was glad not to see any insects at all in the rooms. He is particular on hotel cleanliness.

Overall, this little hotel gets my thumbs-up and we will be back. It might become our "suking" hotel in Manila. God bless, St. Illian's !

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Saint Illians Inn, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Thank you for your glowing praises! We will share your comments with all our staff. Please come back again soon!

Cheers !

33 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Rizal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

They have a promo rate of 995.00 if you're going to stay for only 12 hours. I work in Makati area and I have a flight to catch early morning the next day. I just need a place to sleep and saw that it was highly recommended by many. Tried my luck if there are still available rooms since that promo is on a first come first serve basis. As I step into their lobby it smells fresh and clean. The moment I saw my room, it gave me comfort and homey vibe already. It's not that big, just good enough for two. Complete with toiletries. They also gave me popcorn as a welcome snack. All rooms have DVD players and you can ask for a dvd at the front desk. Wifi is available too. What impressed me the most is when they gave the guidelines and house rules. Right after discussing it, they handed me a calling card and says if I'm not satisfied with their service, I can email their president directly. For me that's a guarantee that they will serve all their clients very well. First time I ever experienced superb service.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Saint Illians Inn, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
it feels wonderful to be appreciated like,this! We will share your comments with all our staff and congratulate them on a job well done. Housekeeping for cleaning the lobby and rooms, front desk for correctly attending,to you. Coffee shop for caring about your pop corn and marketing for giving you a very affordable stay.

Maraming Maraming salamat po! Translated for foreigner readers-- thank you very very much,
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

Rooms and bathrooms are compact but very clean and comfortable. Staff are very efficient, polite and friendly but being a bit more knowledgeable about travel arrangements would be helpful. Food at the in-house cafe was tasty & reasonably priced. WiFi was available in the lobby & cafe & although it was complimentary was dished out in 10 minute segments. There was never any hassle getting another 10 minutes from desk staff but this is a nuisance factor - WiFi should be available freely. There is a nearby Mall & 7-11 if you need supplies. The only issue we had with this place was trying to get a taxi back from other areas of Manila such as Intramuros, taxi drivers seemed very reluctant to take us there, we had several knock backs before finding a taxi that would - this happened to us on a few occasions. Overall we were happy with our stay at Saint Illians Inn.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Saint Illians Inn, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you for your very objective comments.

The wifi is given freely. Occassionally the PLDT Internet provider fluctuates and drops out. Thus the wifi needs to be re started or re booted up. That entails clearing all users and therefore passwords so you need a new one. That's all that's happening there. Wifi is given freely as you suggested.

Taxi drivers are real hacks! Many travelers complain about them and I have to totally agree with you and others on that one.

Please come back again! Thank you and happy travels! Cheers!
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We booked for 1 night before an early morning flight from Manila. We arrived here after dark and the taxi driver struggled to find the place (I would suggest getting a printed map before you arrive to help direct the taxi driver). We arrived to a very welcoming receptionist. She spoke very good English and checked us in quickly. We were on the 4th floor and although there was no lift they did offer a porter to help with luggage if we needed it.

The building is quite unique. It was a lovely courtyard and also had balconies at the front too (but not attached to the rooms as such – they were common areas).
We were offered a portion of popcorn and also a choice of movies if we wanted – it was a nice touch!
The room itself was perfect – we had a nice comfortable bed with good pillows (so often pillow are bad which I hate!). Bed sheets were nice and clean. It’s a small room but has everything you need; a small flat screen TV, fridge, air-con and also a table and chairs to sit at. The bathroom was good too – again it was small but was fine. The shower was good – hot water and good power, a fair selection of bathroom amenities including toothbrushes and the towels were nice and clean. It was cosy and we had a great night’s sleep here – it wasn’t noisy at all.

There is a good looking coffee shop on the ground floor – we didn’t have time to use it which was a shame!

The receptionist booked us a taxi for the next morning. The taxi took around 20 minutes (early on a Sunday morning) and cost approx 120Pesos on the meter. The taxi driver tried to charge us 350 Pesos without the meter which is too expensive – just insist on using the meter (this is of course nothing to do with the hotel).

There is 24 hour reception which is handy and also a security guard at all times. I felt very safe here.

I think this is great value for money and I’d happily stay here again. The only thing I would do differently would be to have a map for the taxi driver to get here. Maybe the hotel could even provide instructions in Filipino and a map on their website which you could download and bring with you.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Saint Illians Inn, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Thank you for your praise! Coming from a Senior Contributor ( like myself -- I too have 65 reviews to my credit ), that means it is fair, objective and can be counted upon to present a fair assessment of the experience at our inn.

Everything you said is true. These days many taxi cab drivers do not know any specific locations until,they've Actually been there themselves. To,date there are over 400 thousand taxis plying our metropolis with turn over rates of new hires triple that number -- so new drivers really don't know left from right. Major landmarks is all they know and our major landmarks are Waltermart mall, 3 min walk away,,and cross reference that with Makati Cinema Square, literally a few steps from our door.

Also, we DO have a printable map on our website... If you go to Saintilliansinn dot com and click,the tab marked LOCATION you'll see the map which can in fact be enlarged and printed out.

Nevertheless cabbies are an item we indeed cannot control and has nothing to do with the hotel, so therefore many thanks for pointing that out too!

Have a prosperous year ahead! Cheers!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

The hotel had really nice exteriors and located in a nice quiet street near major roads. We were given a corner room which is very convenient and allows me to see the buildings in makati when I peep outside the window. This is not an extravagant hotel but a small budget hotel that provides basic traveler needs: comfy bed, hot shower, and easily accessible. I tried their "best seller" for breakfast, the tapa, good portions and they were correct to say it was good. My stay was nothing spectacular but was enjoyable. My sisters were happy that we booked the hotel. Another thing worth noting is that the owners are really hands on. If you have any comments or suggestions they are very accommodating. I think for that I will be coming back to this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper levels are quieter but since they do no have elevators, you might want to settle...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Saint Illians Inn, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you so very, very much! You are positively right about everything you said. We strive to give guests exactly what you mentioned. So very glad you see who we are, what our product is, and appreciate it for what you paid.

And yes, owners are very hands-on-- paying close attention to guests who might otherwise not receive what they paid for. Its a contract after all, when you sign the Reg Card, that we care your you comfort and safety of your persona and belongings while you are under our roof, in exchange for a fair price!

Our meals are ALL home cooked. The Tapa (beef jerkly Philippine Style) with eggs for breakfast is a favorite and the tapa is not merely purchased off the supermarket shelves. Suppliers deliver fresh Batangas beef, we slice it, marinade and tenderize it with Philippine lemon and let it sit till soft and tasty.. Even our bread which you may have had is homemade too. Nothing off a shelf. Even our corned beef is prepared in house. Come back and try that next time!

Cheers!! and a very Merry Christmas to you and yours in advance, ma'am.
Sapporo, Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I'm a little late getting to this review...We booked a room at Saint Illians a bit last minute (maybe a week or two before departure), after there was a mix up at another hotel. Pretty much everything else was booked...so I was a little nervous about what I would find when I got to St. Illians. But I was very pleasantly surprised! The building is very nice and has a lot of character. The staff was very pleasant and helpful whenever I asked one of my bazillion questions. The rooms were basic, but clean and comfortable. Our room was waaay at the very tippy top of the building, and the winding staircase to the top is a bit narrow...it would be really challenging with large luggage I would think. People who have difficulty getting around may find the amount of stairs a bit challenging. We ate breakfast at the cafe in the main floor each morning, and it was very tasty. The only negative is that the hotel is a bit hard to find. And the neighborhood seems a bit seedy at night...but they have a security guard so the hotel always felt very safe. They made our short stay very pleasant...I would return!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Saint Illians Inn, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Sorry for the late reply to your nice comments about us. And also, thank you for replying to my private email asking you to share why you found our neighborhood to be a "bit seedy." It was good information to know why you felt this.

The whole Manila Metropolis is funny that way. One street may look pleasant and clean depending on the occupants of that street, then the next street over is a stark contrast again depending on who lives there. And yes, our neighborhood does get seedy as you venture deeper into the center, moving towards the railroad tracks. And conversely, as you move outwards even by just one street over, that street is a main avenue with first class condos and business establishments, restaurants, malls, and so on.

Our street, Santillan , is pleasant enough and recently, the local government installed three times as many lamp posts which really brightens up the way leading up and down Santillan. The back entrance of The Oriental Gardens Condo faces our front door now and thus, Santillan is kept clear of vagrants and the like, pretty much all of the time now.

But anyone venturing towards the railroad tracks is asking for trouble. The neighborhood towards that area easily degrades quite quickly. It seems you're the adventurous type and curious too about how the,"other" side of the tracks lives like! And by the look of your profile pics, quite attractive too. You can expect attention from the beer crowd in those parts as they're NOT accustomed to seeing the likes of such prettiness around their street! Anyway, glad you enjoyed your stay,and do come back... Just refrain from exploring the tracks!

Cheers!
Melbourne, Australia
1,128 reviews 1,128 reviews
2,631 helpful votes 2,631 helpful votes
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

This is a five storey hotel with about 36 rooms. It is on a back street of a fast improving area in Makati, not one that many taxi drivers seem to know. Some also do not know the barangay of Pio del Pilar in which Saint Illian's is located.

My checkin was extremely slow. The girl said 'wait' a couple of times. This area needs attention from management.

Steep stairs that would not be permitted in Australia were encountered on the way to my 'second' (first in Australia) floor room.

The room was pleasant with a near new large size plasma television, good lighting, a round table with two nice partly upholstered in red chairs and a small additional wallside table with one wooden chair.

The bathroom was small but adequate, although the water was tepid. However in the tropics this is OK.

The bed was small, probably called a 'double' but anyone of 180 centimetres or above might find it unacceptable. Its quality was reasonable.

There was little or no street noise during the night.

I paid extra for breakfast: a nice blueberry pancake.

There was loits of rain from 0345 to 0900: the street flooded but the water subsided. The older receptionist Cecile was pleasant in the morning and told me 'the waters will subside' which sure enough they did. However the City of Makati needs to address the flooding: it should dig up the street and construct proper drains: no doubt not cheap but warranted with the number of new apartments going up in the fast developing Philippines.

Overall this is very good, clean accommodation. By the way, the rooms seem to be solidly constructed as the room next to me had an older Filipino couple who I did not hear at all.

It's a good value place, probably better than the Tune type of 'hotel' that charges extra for aircon and other creature comforts such as towels.

The building also has a nice inner courtyard design which the passageways look on to.

I also met the proprietor who is a lovely man.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Saint Illians Inn, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Thank you for that very objective and fair review. Everything you said was correct and impartial. On the slow check in we will ask the person what the unusual hold up was and will email to you her answer.

Hope your journeys take you back round again as it was interesting to converse with you and get your viewpoint of how a foreigner would see the Philippines. And by the look it, you've travelled throughout our islands even more than I have, and your explorations and opinions thereof very illuminating. See us again please!

Cheers!

Been to Saint Illians Inn? Share your experiences!