“A decent place in Makati” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Saint Illians Inn

Save Saved
You added Saint Illians Inn to your Saves list
Saint Illians Inn
2.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   7461 Santillan Street | Pil del Pilar, Makati, Luzon 1230, Philippines   |
Ranked #2 of 24 Makati B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“A decent place in Makati”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

I've been staying in the hotel for a few night while visiting in the Philippines. The place is located in a small side street (I can even say an alley), and the taxi driver was not able to find it for a long time, so make sure to have a map with you, so you will be able to navigate or show it to the taxi driver.
The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean and very quiet. We had air conditioning, a TV, hot water and clean towels as well. The Hotel is located very close to the greenbelt mall, which is a very big and beautiful shopping center, but I would not recommend walking from the hotel to the mall, due to the traffic and air pollution, just take a 5 minutes taxi. However, for many people arriving to Manila, the hotel will be quite far from other attraction, such as the famous Asia mall (a ride of at least 40 minutes from the hotel). In addition, the hotel is also very close to the International airport (about 20 minutes), which proved to be very comfortable. The hotel has a small restaurant and a cafeteria, which was really nice, and the food was ok.

Room Tip: Visit the greenbelt mall which is located very close to the hotel.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Saint Illians Inn, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Thank you for the good review... But our street is not an alley, even if it may look like one. It's a secondary street, is 8 meters wide with sidewalks on either side of 1 meter each. Main roads are 10 meters wide. Avenues 12 meters.

On our street parking is Allowed on only one side of the street so it's always passable. The sidewalks though in the entire metro Manila are a concern for the authorities regarding sidewalk vendors who sell everything from shoes to fruits from carts messing up pedestrian walk ways and contributing to traffic. On our street we have ony 2 vendors and they stop only on the corner where pedestrian traffic is high. The only way to get rid of the problem is supply/demand economics. If we want the vendors to disappear, then we have to stop buying their super cheap products and produce. Sadly though, since they pay no rent, their goods are way lower than market prices so they continue to sell and be a problem.

All your other comments are correct and wil help other travellers, especially good,to print out a map in any case in ALL your travels. See you again and thanks for taking the time to review us.

34 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Polish first
Mandaluyong, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Stayed for the night in this inn with my friends just for a weekend out in Makati. From the phone call I made to reserve a room, I was already impressed because Marie was accommodating and very professional. (However, I had to make a second phone call and spoke with Shane and after she answered my 1st question, she immediately hung up as I was still asking my second question and I'm not sure if she was able to input my request because when we got there, we had to wait for some time for this request to be arranged). Even in person, Marie was professional but still warm. From the facade, to the lobby, to the stairs and the balconies and of course until we got to our room, I was pleased with the "feel" or the ambiance of St. Illian's. It was also quiet and I was able to feel a sense of privacy. If I see a staff member in the hallway, they would greet me and smile. We never ordered food (because we dined out) but their menu is complete and also inviting. I didn't expect a fridge for the rate but they have one. The A/C unit they have in the rooms is impressive when you think about the room rate. The mattresses are very comfortable and we all loved the thick blankets. In the morning, we have food delivered from outside which was assisted up by their own coffee shop staff and when I opened the door, I was pleasantly surprised by the warm smile of that lady staff, wish I took her name. It was something I really appreciated early in the morning. I would love to go back with my husband next time for a weekend date in Makati.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Saint Illians Inn, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Thank you for your kind words about our staff, Marie and Shane.  Also for mentioning the politeness ands courtesy of all others who you had the opportunity to react with  in the halls, as well as the coffee server who smiled nicely when delivering coffee!  That probably was Rochielle.. She has perfect teeth that matches a nice complexion with a personality that rounds it all out!

Marie has been with us for 12 years so she knows what she's doing hence the ability to remain professional while being sincerely,friendly at the same time, a trait very hard to come by these days for sure.  Shane did not hang up, the line was terminated by Pldt trunk service.  It happens oh, perhaps 15 percent of the time.  I too have been cut off when calling and I've redialed and asked why they hung up one me and realized its not us doing it.  It's the phone lines... Sorry!

And on all the guest amenities you spoke so well of, thanks for noticing these. We have inverters for a.c. So they run super quiet and cool.. They were expensive to purchase, install and maintain but judging from your reaction, it's an investment well spent. Thank you!  We aim to please and the quietness and privacy are actually the hallmark of our inn, and even our. Mission statement contain references to these qualities that we strive to provide all guests.

Please come back and try our menu items.  All are designed and cooked in house according to strict adherence to a recipe book. With quality fresh ingredients priced reasonably.  That way you can write a separate review for the food alone!

Muchas gracias, y , Cheers!
Udaipur, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

This quaint little inn is a pleasant surprise with clean and comfortable rooms. Bathroom is tiny but OK. The computer with free internet at the reception area and the DVD along with TV in the room are the positive features of this inn. I never had food there, so cannot comment on the same. It is located very close to Water Mart and short distance from shopping malls of Makati. The staff was ever smiling and outstandingly polite. Management should work on proper digital safe lockers in the rooms. . I do agree with other reviews mentioning about non-availability of lift, cramped shower etc. However, this Inn is a perfect place for those who want to spend the night in the hotel and tour the city during day time!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
, General Manager at Saint Illians Inn, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
Tripadvisor

Sorry for the late reply.  Thank you very much for your kind words.  You truly did hit the nail on the head in your description of our inn. It's exactly what we endeavor to be.

On your suggestions we will definitely work on.  Many thanks!

Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

Stayed overnight in this inn because I needed to be in the office early the next day. Service is great. Room is clean and cozy. Food is cheap yet tasty. Inn is near commercial establishments and a ride away from Ayala Center and Ayala Avenue.

Overall, we had a nice stay in this inn. We'll definitely be back in case I need to stay overnight in Makati again.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 308 which is at the end of the hallway. Room location is preferred if you want a quie...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
MZINNSGeneralManager, Manager at Saint Illians Inn, responded to this review, May 2, 2012
We can never grow tired of receiving praise! Your comments never cease to uplift our spirits and when we post your comments all over our electronic bulletin board for all our staff to see, it serves to further bolster our commitment to our work.

Thank you truly for appreciating our efforts. Thank you very much indeed.

Makati
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

My husband and I always go back to St. Illians as this INN offers what we are looking for: Very Quiet, Very Clean, Friendly and professional staff, affordable rate, Excellent Service.

St. Illians is like a second home for us whenever my husband and I are in Makati, We stayed there many times since 2010. Staff are very respectful to all the guests. They offer equal and quality service to every guest.

There is no doubt that I will recommend you to my friends. Continue your excellent service. Cheers!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Saint Illians Inn, responded to this review, April 26, 2012
Dear Mrs.,

Thank you from the bottom of our collective hearts!  Although we train our staff in guest service, the attitude of respect stems from first our Filipino Culture. While we as a people have negative traits to be downplayed for sure, we do indeed have some very good ones.  Respect for others is one of them.

Secondly, work is hard to find in these parts so when a person is gainfully employed, most strive very hard to keep their jobs.  Hence, they tread very carefully in eschewing complaints which could merit dismissal.  While this is not true in all cases, it is safe to generalize that it is true for most.

Thirdly, and this is where your praise is most felt by management,  we take good care of our staff in all possible ways, from providing company sponsored R & R on a regular basis, to providing support for dental and health care way, way over and beyond what is prescribed by law, to giving weekly rice and groceries benefits on a scalar basis-- all add up to making an employee feel needed, valued and RESPECTED.  This in turn we have found, makes them more sincerely caring and respectful and mindful of who actually pays their benefits-- YOU the customer.

So when you offer praise like this, it is posted all over our electronic bulletin board for all to bask in.  You have made our collective day!  Thank you and welcome home!

Jakarta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

I chose St Illians randomly and i was pleasantly surprised. It offered everything i needed from a comfortable bed to a quiet room, reasonable bathroom facilities & enough room.

Food was quite good, staff were excellent, even walking down the street to find a taxi in the rain, now thats customer service :)

My only suggestion would be to add WIFI, then u have a good allround cozy place to stay :)

Thanks!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Saint Illians Inn, responded to this review, March 28, 2012
Many, many thanks for appreciating our quaint little inn! A lot of effort in details goes into what you experienced while staying with us. Its simply great when someone like you takes the time to give praise!

We do have internet connections in-room. Its hard wired for better speed though, not Wi-Fi. In the lobby, you may use our dedicated PC for guests free of charge. I'm sure you spotted that detail.. so when you say that you wish there was Wi-fi to make it cozier, did you mean FREE internet? In the lobby it is free on our PC for guests, in rooms it is US$4.00 for 24 hours unlimited or can go by the hour too for a dollar or two..

Please do stay again! Cheers!
Oxforrd UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

I have stay at this inn over 20 times !!, do i need to say any more?. Great location near very near Walter Mart shopping mall, the Inn has a slight Spanish feel every room is different but i like that its not the norm. The price is excellent for the location the room has AC, fridge, free dvd 's to watch from the reception, staff always very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Saint Illians Inn, responded to this review, March 16, 2012
That is probably the best ever endorsement we have ever received! Stayed with us twenty times and still loving in? That qualifies hands down for a loyalty reward. We dont normally do this and this will be a first time-- please email me directly or simply mention this wonderful review to our staff when you stay next and breakfasts are free of charge-- for each and every day of your stay-- for each and every time you stay with us forever. No expiry. Have our home cooked breakfast forever whenever you stay.

And as a result of this input from you, we are now looking into creating a Loyalty Card that includes a photo imbedded in the card given free to guests who, like you, stay frequently. Tiers will be made offering different levels of perks for number of stays.

Thank you very much for your kind words and invaluable input.

Cheers!

Been to Saint Illians Inn? Share your experiences!