“Does the job” 3 of 5 stars
Review of St Giles Hotel

You added St Giles Hotel to your Saves list
St Giles Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Makati Ave. corner Kalayaan Ave, Makati, Luzon, Philippines   |
Ranked #27 of 71 Hotels in Makati
Thailand
“Does the job”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

The rooms are small, the bathrooms tiny. But it's ok for a couple of nights. Beds are comfortable enough and bedding is a nice thread count. Towels are on the cheap side and bathrobes and the slippers are a joke.
The staff are average, and don't really care about the guests. Maybe some guests have a bad attitude, but I am friendly. When I called to make a booking the lady was abrupt and quoted very high. I told her it was much cheaper on the hotel official site, so she told me to book there and slammed the phone down! I did still book it as the location was convenient for my work schedule.
The hallways are grim and there is huge construction opposite. The hotel had low occupancy when I was there, but they still put me by the construction noise. I asked to move, and they asked for an upgrade fee! Later they offered to move for free but it was too late as I was settled a day had to work.
It is a slight step up from the budget tune hotel, but is not value for money.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
DerrickTan, General Manager at St Giles Hotel, responded to this review, July 12, 2014
Dear Guest,

I have learned of your complaint during your stay here at St Giles Makati - St Giles Classic Hotel. I wanted to speak to you in person however your advise was that you wanted to rest. Again, please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience that you experienced. I have noted your constructive feedback and rest assured that we are working on these.

Kalayaan Avenue is where the other building's construction is on-going. The Superior rooms are located on this side. Perhaps on your next visit you could accept the upgrade to a Deluxe room which is facing the other side.

Please do let me know of your travel plans back to the city so that we can make up for this dissappointment. My email address is gmmnl@StGiles-Hotels.com. I sincerely hope you will come back to stay with us.

Derrick Tan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

yes, rooms are small, but very nice, clean, quiet, comfortable beds. great air con.
the breakfast buffet was awesome...great choices good service. Only negative is far distance to airport, especially with Manila traffic.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the short and concise review you have written for St Giles Makati - St Giles Classic Hotel. I'm sorry that you found our rooms small, may I suggest that you try our Deluxe Rooms for your next stay.

Glad you mentioned other positive feedback in the amenities of the room and especially with
our breakfast being awesome!

The airport is 12km from the hotel and should take you about 30 minutes to get here. Although during peak hours and heavy traffic the travel time can take up to an hour. The best way is to use the Skyway, you just have to pay a toll fee of Php 20.00 but will help make your travel faster.

Looking forward to having you here again. If we can assist you further, please feel free to send me an email at gmmnl@StGiles-Hotels.com.

Perth, Western Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

Whilst in a good location within Makati City where you can walk to nearby shops and offices, the rooms are small and clean, with tiny, very dated bathrooms. Beds are not very comfortable and the breakfast buffet was especially poor with no decent juices, some fresh fruit but a disastrous egg station, very poor bread and a general array of mostly unappetising "stuff". Thankfully, there's a Starbucks close by. This hotel is fine if you are on a tight budget and don't have any expectations of real comfort but it is off my list of places to stay. The friendly and obliging staff go some way to offsetting these various disappointments - but really a case of "you only get what you pay for..."

Room Tip: High floors have views but a lot of construction going on around the hotel so expect some noise.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

I regret to know that you were not satisfied during your recent stay at here St Giles Makati - St Giles Classic Hotel. Please accept my sincere apologies.

It was good to know that the location and our friendly and obliging staff were able to offset your disappointments.

Please do let me know when you are back in the city and we would like to make it up to you for this inconvenience. My email address is gmmnl@StGiles-Hotels.com.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

Pros:
- Good location, walking distance to central Makati if you're feeling athletic (and wearing shorts)
- Friendly staff
- Decent breakfast buffet
- Comfortable bed, good sleep
- Taxis always available
- Ice cold aircon if you wanted it that low
- Room safe was good
- Room was modern enough, covered all the basics

Cons:
- Wifi was garbage/unusable on the 28th and 32nd floors. Both times my room was located about 2-3 doors down from the elevator bank FYI. No idea if the signal got better or worse if you moved further away from elevator bank. Lobby was the only place where it worked well. Cannot comment on other floors/room locations.
- Soap/shampoo was poor quality

I would return

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thanks for taking time to write about the pros and cons during your stay here at St Giles Makati - St Giles Classic Hotel. I appreciate your honest and balanced view. I regret to know that you were unsatisfied with our Wi Fi. My apologies for this. We were upgrading our bandwidth from 40mbps to 50mbps last month. For a more stable connection we suggest the broadband to be used in the guest rooms but using WiFi shouldn't be a problem.

Please do let me know of your travel plans and we will ensure your internet connection will be a breeze. My email address is gmmnl@StGiles-Hotels.com.

Thank you and have a pleasant day.

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I stayed in St. Giles Hotel Makati a few years back for one night before our flight back to Singapore. The Hotel has all the basics but was able to deliver in its services in a classy manner.

We arrived early and our room was not ready for us so the concierge offered to keep our luggage so we can go to a nearby mall and eat brunch as well.

Our room was a bit small but properly lighted, clean and has a restful and private ambiance to it which i really appreciate. Breakfast was good and even comparable to other 4 star hotels in Manila. Its location is accessible to convenience stores, restaurants and banks.

The pool was okay but quite small for me. This place is ideal for quick getaways for couples and friends.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing a review here about your recent stay at St Giles Makati - St Giles Classic Hotel.

I appreciate that you mentioned our services were delivered in a classy manner and comparing our breakfast buffet to other 4 star hotels in Manila.

I'm also glad you liked the location and found a nearby mall to eat your brunch.

We hope to see you more often here at the hotel.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

Room wasn't huge, but everything worked well. Great air condition, pleasant environment, friendly staff.. Wouldn't say that it's in a red light district, but it is on the edge of one. So it's not a too bad spot.

Food is great. Decent size serves, and responsible prices. Will most likely return.

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
DerrickTan, General Manager at St Giles Hotel, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the compliments you have given during your stay here at St Giles Makati - St Giles Classic Hotel. I am glad that you everything worked well especially with our friendly staff.

It's good to know you wish to come back. Please do let me know of your travel plans here in the city.

Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

I never thought I will write a review at this tone of the hour. In fact, I am still inside this hotel as I enter this information.

Unfortunately, I also booked another stay next weekend here and cannot cancel it due to the cancellation charges.

Before i rant, pointing out that I will be very fair as much as possible as some points are bad and some are good. One thing is for sure... I will never check-in here again unless I have no choice in the future after next week.

Feedback Summary:

Front Desk: Morning of May 29th

I arrived that day to rush to my grandmother's burial. I arrived the hotel and the security personnel was very helpful.

Mr.C from the front desk treated me well and was very accommodating- he knew I am rushing to a funeral service so he was very quick to fix my checkin process. I thought to myself, this is nice and the hotel seems decent.

Room: Smoking room was not what I ordered but I was fine with it and thought I will just transfer the following day. When I finally transferred to the non - smoking one, there was no toothbrush ??-that I had to call and I was told it is by request. The reception, how tempted I am to drop names but will not, coldly told me it is by request ( what ??). Lord, I need toothbrush far more importantly than the shower cap you have readily provided by the sink. FYI.

Taxi:

I was promised a taxi in time for me to just dash to the funeral, I rushed downstairs to find out none, I was told that the last they called left ( thought.. Then replace it?) so I was just calmly reacting by looking for one myself. I was more aggressive than the guy who was supposed to get it so yes, I got one for myself.

Bathroom: Quite unhappy with the shampoo dispenser. It looks moldy. I did not use it. I don't trust the contents.

Bell boys: They are lovely. Very cheerful, good comm skills, one even refused my tip but I insisted. Sincere service.

Key cards: Why only give one? It should be 2, all the time. All hotels do that, don't they? Anyway, I had to ask the same cold receptionist who doesn't smile that I needed a key card as I did not want to wake my mother with the doorbell. It was past midnight.

Calling the reception: Friday night, I called to ask for information. It did take more than 10 rings to be picked up. I thought, fine there may be many people at the front desk. Same cold receptionist( hurrah) picked up.

But tonight was the height of my despair with the reception. Yes I counted, because I can already imagine writing this entry on trip advisor.

1st call to the operator ( dialed 0) = 31, rings- no answer

2nd call to the front desk ( pushed the designated button) = 30 rings, no answer

3rd call to the operator= 15 rings, no answer.

4th call to the front desk = 15 rings, no answer.

Finally, called the duty manager. Mr.C who was nice to me during check-in on my first day picked up. All I wanted to know was if I can print my plane ticket thru the business centre. He gladly awarded the option no charge and he also gave me an option for late checkout.

It is a combination of good and bad points you see... But the 81 phone rings portion* brought me back to my judgement of NOT STAYING HERE in the future after my last booking with them next week.

Why? Simple. If I met an accident or danger ... Or an emergency in my room ... 81 rings to the reception could be lethal.

Travelled to 25 countries, checked in 30 or more hotels in my whole lifetime--- enough benchmark here to decide, this one is off my list. I started with some positive outlook when I checked in but sadly it just flopped.

Message to the manager whom I know who might reply to this entry:

Retain your Mr.C ( Duty manager?) apparently, he is the only one I think who's got a shot in treating guests properly and knows how to pacify.

Please hire a friendly and responsible receptionist or better yet, check if you need more headcount.

• Stayed May 2014
DerrickTan, General Manager at St Giles Hotel, responded to this review, June 22, 2014
Dear Guest,

I thank you for the constructive comments you have put in your review. I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience you had to bear with during your stay with us. My team and I will be tackling all the issues you have raised especially with the telecommunications in which I have requested our provider to investigate calls coming into our system since it should be redirected after 4 rings.

In spite of this incident, thank you for staying with us again on June 7. I hope to make it up to you on your next visit to Manila and as such would appreciate if you could kindly allow me to know when you have plans to visit us again. I can be reached at gmmnl@StGiles-Hotels.com.

Derrick Tan

Been to St Giles Hotel? Share your experiences!