“Going down” 3 of 5 stars
Review of St Giles Hotel

You added St Giles Hotel to your Saves list
St Giles Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Makati Ave. corner Kalayaan Ave, Makati, Luzon, Philippines   |
Ranked #24 of 67 Hotels in Makati
Bangkok, Thailand
“Going down”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I've been several times to this hotel. During the last two times I experienced what unfortunately is common in the Philippines: new hotels have a good start, and then they start to worsen in terms of maintenance and organization. Rooms: if you book a De Luxe room, it has the same features as a Superior room, just a little bit larger, but no extra features, no sofa, same size bathroom, same size desk, it's not really worth to pay more for same accommodation. Wifi internet is very weak, and it doesn't reach some of the rooms, and even with cable it's a trouble, because sometimes it stops working and you can call a hundred times the assistance, and they promise to send somebody in 5 minutes, but they never come, even if you get terribly upset. Breakfast buffet is changing every day, but without respecting a standard: bakery items some days are totally absent, and there's only toast bread. Another thing really very bad is the elevators: there are 4 elevators, always crowded with a very long waiting time. During traffic hours, you need to wait even 15 minutes to get to the ground, with the elevators stopping at every single floor even when full. For sure there's something wrong in the programming, and the management is not taking care to identify and solve the problem. If you are on a business trip, you risk to miss your appointments.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
DerrickTan, General Manager at St Giles Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to give us your feedback on your recent stay with us. I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused to you during your stay and have raised your concerns of internet with my IT Executive as well as breakfast with our Sous Chef.

I hope these incidents will not hinder you from staying with us in the near future. I would appreciate if you could allow me to know of your future stay with us in order for me to accommodate you in a room with better WiFi connection.

Once again we thank you for your time and look forward to another opportunity to serve you better.

Warm regards,
Derrick Tan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Providence, Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is not too far away from the Greenbelt. It is very close to the Burgos area which is a red light district which may not make it very suitable for families with children.

The hotel service is great allowing for a smooth check in.

The hotel rooms are quite small but clean and safe. There is a safe for your valuables. The breakfast buffet is great and offers both western and Asian choices.

The hotel stored my luggage for 5 days as I went to El Nido for some R&R. This was much appreciated.

• Stayed May 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing this review. I am happy to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

I look forward to welcoming you back to St Giles Makati..

Kind regards,
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

St Giles hotel is centrally located, only a kilometer or so from the Greenbelt shopping area, plenty of restaraunts in the area, the red light district if you're interested, and some shopping. The room I had was not large, but for one person was more than fine. I would say any more than two people would have been cramped, but there may be bigger rooms. There's a fridge in the room, along with a safe. There's also a desk with outlets near if you want to work on your computer. When you check in, make sure you ask for a room with a view. My room had a "view" but was mostly blocked because of the corner of the building I was in.

There is a buffet breakfast every morning that was pretty good. There was a nice sampling of Asian and American food including a station making omelets and a fresh fruit stand. The employees always greeted me with smiles and welcomes and it was a good way to start the day. Everyone in the hotel was pleasant and accommodating, but the breakfast staff really stood out.

I was working in Global City which isn't very far, but with the traffic, could be a daunting taxi ride sometimes. I learned to leave the hotel early in the morning, say no later than 7:30 to avoid the worst of the traffic. Coming back to the hotel at night could take as much as 30 minutes although it's only 3 kilometers. One morning I left the hotel at 8:30 and it was almost impossible to find a cab. To complicate things, there's plenty of hotel and tourist vehicles coming in and out of the taxi area so it gets congested. But this is Manila, traffic is always a challenge!

I did have the air conditioning leaking from the ceiling one evening. I called the front desk and reported it, and they offered to move me to a different room immediately. I said that wasn't necessary, just wanted to let them know and they fixed it the next day while I was at work.

All in all, decent location, good staff, I will stay again at the St. Giles.

Room Tip: Be very specific when asking for a room with a view, make sure it's unobstructed!
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to share with us your stay experience at St Giles Makati. We are delighted to know that you are happy with our services and amenities. As for travelling during peak hours, I believe most cities share the same predicament as Manila where travelling from one place to another is expected to take up a little more time as opposed to travelling during off peak hours.

Thank you once again for your time and we look forward to another opportunity to serve you better.

Ho Chi Minh City, null, Vietnam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I spent 2 nights in St Giles Hotel in Makati, Manila, the Philippines. It is located in downtown Makati where I can easily find 7-eleven convenience stores and entertainment places for back-packers in a walking distance. How convenient the location is. My room is on the 25th floor where I had a great view down upon the Makati area. Though there are slumps in Makati, the surroundings of the hotel is just nice and dedicate for business people as well. The two-bed room size is standardized with not-small room and toilet space. I also like its philosophy of saving water and protecting environment as seen in some pieces of paper in the room. The only negative point is that there are only two public computers on the lobby floor for you to check out emails. I tried one whose internet connection was very slow.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
DerrickTan, General Manager at St Giles Hotel, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us recently and for taking time to pen your stay experience with us. Our location is indeed convenient and central as financial centre, shopping and eateries are within walking distance or a short drive away. As much as we thank you for complimenting our services, amenities and our efforts to conserve water, we regret to know that you encountered a problem with internet connectivity whilst using our computers at our hotel lobby. I would appreciate if you could allow me to know when your next stay with us would be and I will have my IT Executive assist you with better connectivity.

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Stay: 2/9/13 - 2/10/13
Hotel: St Giles - Room 2805
Location: Makati, Manila
Booked:
Bed Type: Queen Sized Bed
Speed: Decent speed. Password protected. Multiple users.
Price: $92

I booked this place because it had pretty good reviews. Personally I didn’t like it as much as Tune. There was definitely more amenities than Tune, but not for the price, there are much nicer hotels around Manila.

Power Outlets -
Compatible with US and European outlets. No adapter necessary.

Fridge -
A Minifridge is provided within the desk located under the television.

Noise -
The door to the room did not provide a complete seal to the room, causing sound and light from the hallway to leak into the room. The room is located close to the bank of elevators which made it possible to hear each time the elevator was in use. A better door seal could have easily resolved this.

Bed
The bed was firm, not as cushy as the bed I stayed in across the street at Tune Hotel. I did prefer Tune’s bed over St Giles.

Bathroom
The bathroom was very very small. The size of the room to the bathroom was 20 to 1. Very cramped. Also, the bathtub is raised so it’s a little dangerous getting out of the tub if you’re expecting a regular sized step. Needless to say, I was expecting a regular sized step.

Amenities
The rooftop area is really nice at night. Clear views of the city. There are tables to sit around, but more of the cafe style table and 2 chairs type. The pool was a lot smaller than I thought it was going to be. There’s a raised area for the gym, which looks over the pool. There’s no bar/food service on the rooftop which is a big loss for them since it’s such a nice place to watch the city.

The service of the hotel was pretty average. Nothing really stood out but it wasn’t really lacking.

Nearby Attractions
This hotel is located in the red light district. Lots of bars, clubs and restaurants in nearby walking distance. There are homeless people around, but that’s unavoidable in most parts of Manila so it shouldn't hinder you nor have a negative effect on the hotel.

For a full run down of a vacation on the Philippines, Google "Danger Avoider"

Room Tip: Don't get a room by the elevators. You'll hear every time someone uses the elevator. For a...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
DerrickTan, General Manager at St Giles Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to write about your experience with us during your recent stay. I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused by the noise coming from the elevators as well as the lights seeping into the rooms from around the door. We are looking at how to resolve these.

As for food service at the swimming pool, we have a wide array of food & beverage that can be ordered through our staff assigned there.

I look forward to welcoming you back to St Giles Makati and should you have plans to stay with us again, please do allow me to know as I would like the opportunity to meet you.

Kind regards,
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I believe the attraction to stay in this hotel is the price and the location. Alas, it's you get what you pay for. The regular hotels were full and my office found me this hotel. I am not a fussy traveller but I guess St. Giles really tested me.

Upon checking into my room, I found that the air-conditioning was blowing warm air and having 26C in my room on a humid evening was bad. There were no instructions to operate the air-conditioning panel in the room. Called the front desk and was told that someone will come and have a look at my room. I waited for 15 minutes and no one turned up. I rang front desk again and was asked to wait again. I guess you're getting the pattern of this complain.... Finally, this was resolved after an hour with me calling the Duty Manager personally. There was a busload of guests checking in and I had asked if they could change my room instead of me waiting for the technician but I was not offered to change rooms.

Next morning, trying to get breakfast at the hotel was also difficult as the queue was very long and there were insufficient tables. I guess the hotel was not prepared to have such high occupancy rates.

The room is small but overall clean. I guess that was the highlight. To take a shower, there is a dispenser in the shower room for "body and hair" liquid soap. But alas, mine was empty and not wanting to get out of the shower to call the House Keeping, I ended up using the little bar of soap. The next day, even after my room was made up by House Keeping, they did not refill the liquid soap dispenser. Note to self, "Pack some shampoo and soap on the next trip", and "Cross out St. Giles from the hotel list".

The location of the hotel is great if you like the proximity to the bars at Burgos Street, but trying to catch a taxi at 8:30am in the morning from this location will surely test your arm-waving skills and determination to run after the taxis. The heavily congested Makati Avenue and Kalayaan Avenue means taxis are hard to come by.

Overall verdict , I don't plan to go back to St. Giles again.......

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
DerrickTan, General Manager at St Giles Hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking my call last April 01 to express my apology for this experience. Once again may I assure you that these things do not normally happen. Appreciate that you took the time to write about these and we are working on to ensure such instances are not repeated. I am glad that you are willing to come back to St Giles again. Looking forward to see you soon and please do keep in touch as I have provided you my contact numbers and email addresses for your reference.

Warm regards,
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel on 4 occassions & it is probably the best 3.5 -star hotel I have stayed in this region. In terms of service - especially the F & B - it's better than some of the 4-star or even 5-star hotels in Manila, Malaysia & Jakarta. The location is strategic - fast access to many places with lots of taxis . And the room rates are reasonable. The only area that needs improvement is the slow internet access

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
DerrickTan, General Manager at St Giles Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

It is good to know that you have stayed repeatedly at St Giles Makati and thank you for taking the time to write a good feedback for the hotel and the staff. We are always glad to be of service to you and ensure that your stay is a totally fullfilling experience.

We have always been proud of our internet connection having invested a lot on fiber optic cables and now we have further improved our speed from 30mbps to 40mbps. You may want to enjoy this when you are here once again.

Please do let me know when you are here for me to thank you in person.

Derrick Tan

Been to St Giles Hotel? Share your experiences!