“Wait--the nightmare continues. BEWARE!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of St Giles Hotel

and 1 more site!
You added St Giles Hotel to your Saves list
St Giles Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Makati Ave. corner Kalayaan Ave, Makati, Luzon, Philippines   |
Ranked #27 of 72 Hotels in Makati
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
“Wait--the nightmare continues. BEWARE!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

I shared my dislike of this hotels a couple of weeks ago. I am not sure that this had anything to do with the nightmare I have been living upon my return to the United States. Imagine, after charging PhP 10,040 ($244) on my business debit card, Wells Fargo yanks out US$10,040 out of my account, putting me thousands in the negative. It was not Wells Fargo's fault. I am still waiting for the final resolution and the information on what really happened, but it definitely originated on their side of the Pacific Ocean. Now, I will tell you that St. Giles did respond to my frustration when this happened, but I believe that there are structural problems at the hotel when they overcharge $10,000 to their customers. Naturally this caused me some very difficult times over the last two weeks while Wells Fargo took their time in returning the money into my account. Just do yourself a favor--DO NOT STAY AT THE ST GILES--or pay cash.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
DerrickTan, General Manager at St Giles Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2012
Dear Guest,

I understand your frustration with the wrong charge of USD10,040.00 debited to your credit card. I am aware that our Front Office Manager has been in communication with you once on August 19, 2012 to inform you that she has received your email and on August 22, 2012 to allow you to know that the amount that was charged to your credit card and what was paid to us by bank was Philippine Peso 10,040.00. She even had the credit card slip of which you signed attached to the email for your information. In the same email, she mentioned that it would be best if you get in touch with the issuing bank of your credit card, since we have no access to them and have them enlighten you on why you were charged/billed in US Dollars when the charges made on your credit card was in Philippine Peso. We have not heard from you since then. Due to security issues, we are not able to attach any of our emails to you here. If you require further assistance, please feel free to email me at gm@StGilesManila.com.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Derrick Tan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Bodo, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Stayed for a short week on business trip. The choice was made from location and a nice price level. St Giles is within walking distance to the Green Belt shopping center and this part of Makati is lively and with plenty of places to eat. The room was ok for the price, but the lifts were quite a problem. I do not think all of them actually were working and available, and this gave big problems, especially in the morning at breakfast time.
The breakfast was crowded, and it took some time to get your omelet.
But staff were excellent, always with a smile and ready to help.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
DerrickTan, General Manager at St Giles Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Dear Guest,

Your review of St Giles Makati for its strength on location, value for money and courteous associates are appreciated. Please accept my apologies for the lift. We have 4 lifts in the hotel and during your stay with us, there was major maintenance work carried on them for the safety of all those who use them.

Please drop me a note at gm@StGilesManila.com when you are in town next. I look forward to meeting you.

Warm regards,
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

We stayed for 3 days at St Giles Manila (18-20 Aug 2012) and we loved it. The hotel lobby is not so impressive but the service is good, passed for value and comfort. Staffs were friendly and helpful especially to their front desk officer - Mr Leonard Lugtu. Always smiling and accomodating my request at his best.

We booked for a superior room but we were given a spacious one with the view of Makati-Manadaluyong skyline. We are pleased on how we are treated there even the security guards are alert and gracious to the guest. I must say, its very a different hospitality from the way Discovery Suites in Ortigas, Pasig.

The only thing I noticed is that - there are no slippers in the room

Will come back next time...

Room Tip: Ideal if you would want to stay close to Makati CBD. Most public transport available and restaurants...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for noting that St Giles Hotel Makati passed for value, comfort and good service.

Our Superior rooms do not have the slippers in the amenities list but you request for them.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Best regards,
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

Located in the older part of makati this hotel is amid the nightlife of makati. A few minutes walk to SM supermarket making it very convenient to get supplies. Most taxi drivers know of the hotel so getting around was easy. Their hotel restaurant food is not good so dont eat there. But otherwise a good place to stay if you are not spending a lot of time in the room. Rooms are boutique transit style with your necessary amenities even includes a hair dryer which surprised me.

• Stayed August 2012
DerrickTan, General Manager at St Giles Hotel, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to write about your experience at St Giles Hotel Makati. Our location is convenient and accessible. Most local taxi drivers know where we are located.
All our guest rooms have the essentials that any traveller would need. Apart from just the hair dryer, our rooms are equipped with an iron, ironing board and a safe box that allows you to keep your laptop. As for your comment on food, I would appreciate if you could allow me to know more in order for me to look at how further we can improve this area. I can be reached at gm@StGilesManila.com.

I hope to see you on your next stay with us.

Kind regards,
Anaheim, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

Just wanted to share my experience during my stay at St Giles, My name is June Quijano and stayed at the Hotel for 4 days, I stayed in many Hotel here in the US since my job requires traveling, which means i've seen the best and worst, St Giles Hotel does not have the bells and whistles where most of the Hotels where i stayed, BUT, the most that stand out are the people at the Front desk that represent your Hotel, They have my out most respect, the fact that they go above and beyond providing World Class Customer service , specially Criza Pasia,(she arrange all my transportation on my arrival and departure and send me confirmation of my reservations) Elyssa, and Jessa ,as well In my view , i think they are some best people i dealt with during my short visit. I will stay at the Hotel again, not because of the Hotel, It's because of the hospitality of your staff. Management should take pride that this staff work for your company.

Room Tip: I was given a great view of Makati and appreciate Criza accommodating my request. I would stay at th...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Dear June Quijano,

Thank you for staying with us recently and for singling out Criza, Elyssa and Jessa in your comments. I am glad to know you had an enjoyable stay with us.

I look forward to meet you on your next stay with us.

Warm regards,
Tasmania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Booked directly with hotel via the internet. Charged out in PHPon invoice but when received visa account the hotel had charged in $ and then added a 4.5% surcharge for this p[rivalage. Of course when we arrived at the hotel abd despite showing them prrof they denied that this happened. After 4 days of arguin with the pompous front desk staff thgey refunded the overcharged amount in local PHP.

This still left us out of pocked due to our visa card supplier charging 3% service fee for overseas transactions.

The reception/front desk service is extremely slow, 2 staff serving, the other six talking amongst themselves while customers wait.

The room that we occupied doorway to an adjoining room, put up with very loud noises from that room late into the night for 3 nights, despite complaing to the front desk nothing was done.

Not recommendeda place to stay

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
DerrickTan, General Manager at St Giles Hotel, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Dear Guest,

My apologies for these incidents that happened during your stay at St Giles Hotel Makati. Do allow us to know of your name and the date of your check-in. This will provided us enough information to look into your concerns on the overcharge you brought up. You can email me at gm@stgilesmanila.com.

Thank you very much for staying with us recently and I look forward to receiving your email soonest.

Yours sincerely,

Las Vegas, Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

My sister and I stayed at St. Giles from July 16-19, 2012. We would have left sooner but we'd incur a huge penalty from Agoda.com (by the way don't book with Agoda if there's a chance you'd cancel very close to the booking date- you'd lose one-third of your booking cost). The rooms at St. Giles are tiny even for only two people. So I'd rate them low on comfort. Also they lie on their website when they say "Free-Wifi" -it's only free for one person-the rest of the booked guests have to pay 8 dollars each for 24 hours of Wi-Fi use. The Wi-Fi signal is so weak that you have to go down to the second floor or the hotel lobby for a clear connection. The hotel serves ONLY Pepsi products and if you bring a Coke to their restaurant when you eat there, they'll charge you $1.25 for each can of Coke. I refused to pay it!The hotel policy allows you only one key to your room even if you have two people booked. Which means that if your roommate has the key when you go out, you have to ask the guard to key in your floor number because the elevator will not work without the key. They gave me an extra key when I threw a fit! The Staff is at least nice and helpful-it's the management of the hotel that's pinheaded and doesn't know the meaning of the word, SERVICE. I will NEVER book at ST. Giles again because my stay in the place was stressful.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
DerrickTan, General Manager at St Giles Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for allowing us to know of your recent experience at St Giles Hotel Makati. I am deeply concerned of the unpleasant incidents. Please accept my profound apologies. I am looking into the matters you have raised.

We have two types of rooms in the hotel. The Superior must have been the one that you were accommodated in. Our Deluxe category rooms are more spacious.

Our room packages come with free Wi-Fi for only one user per room per device. Second users will have to purchase prepaid cards if they would like to use the internet.

As for the incident in the restaurant, a corkage is applied for any food or beverage that was purchased elsewhere and consumed in the restaurant. However, every guest is free to bring any food or drink in the room.

The hotel’s keycard policy is for every registered guest to be given a keycard. In your case, I am looking into why only one keycard was issued.

I hope the experiences you had with us will not deter you from visiting us again in the near future. Please do allow me to know if you are coming back.

Kind regards,
Derrick Tan

Been to St Giles Hotel? Share your experiences!