“Perfect location, new hotel, great prices” 5 of 5 stars
Review of St Giles Hotel

and 1 more site!
You added St Giles Hotel to your Saves list
St Giles Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Makati Ave. corner Kalayaan Ave, Makati, Luzon, Philippines   |
Ranked #28 of 72 Hotels in Makati
Houston, Texas
“Perfect location, new hotel, great prices”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

I admit, I was a bit weary about staying at this hotel since I normally stay at well known, high end international chains. But now having returned, I can say it was a great hotel and a perfect choice for business or for fun. Safe, clean, new, great location, nice staff. I can't say enough good things about this hotel. Rooms are quite basic but everything is new and super clean.

If you are there for business, it is close to all the major companies in Makati. And if you are there for fun, P Burgos is just a block over from hotel and Greenbelt is only about a mile down the street. Perfect location.

Room Tip: Upper floor room to reduce traffic noise
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
phx
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2011

I have stayed here for 4 days on a business trip to Manila. Location is excellent for the red-light area, business and shopping. The hotel rooms are new, and i stayed in a deluxe room so my comments are based on that. (Rate was 82 US (tax Inc), including Breakfast and Wi-Fi....good value for the area)

The rooms are clean and new, and had what i would expect in a 4 star manila property. The lounge was very quiet and they have a 50 peso beer promo, running at all times. The band was actually good, they performed Mon-Fri. Bar staff was excellent as i spent a lot of time here for meetings and relaxing.

The bad........food! The breakfast buffet was just OK, that i can live with, but the juice wasn’t real! They use tang and other powders for juice; i can’t accept that in Manila. I had room service twice, for late night meetings and wasn’t impressed about either selection. I will never base where i stay in Manila on food, as there are about 50 restaurants within 1-5 minutes. Just couldn’t get out and so that is why i ate in the hotel twice.

Pool was very nice, just went up to look at it. Clean and would actually be a good place to hang out if you have time. I would definitely stay here again, but as with everything in Makati; it’s about the price point.

I was on the 32nd floor and this is a great view, it is one of the taller building in downtown Makati

Room Tip: high floor
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Stockton, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2011

From the time I have known this hotel, except for a couple of times, I have always chosen to stay here when I am in Manila.

The price is incredibly reasonable. I always book through the hotel website a superior room that's around US$66. The deluxe room is ~US$20 more expensive but it includes a bath tub instead of just a shower room, the internet is already free and the room is a little bigger. I had some issue booking online as sometimes the items I wanted them to take note were not addressed during my checkin time and I had to request them again.

Anyway my personal choice would be superior room as I don't need the bigger room and the bath tub. I would always just purchase the internet at US$8 per day. Also I would prefer the superior room views of Mandaluyong city than the obstructed views of Makati of some of the deluxe rooms.

The hotel is new (finished in 2010). The rooms are clean and enough for me although others complain about the size. The staff are mostly accommodating and nice but I got a chance to deal with a rather rude and inattentive staff one time whom I immediately reported through the feedback form upon check out. Also, I had problems with the internet connection a couple of times and I was irritated because the management would not reimburse me the amount I paid and they could not even resolve the issue. I got all these complaints in the feedback form one time and I was glad I got a call from the proper team to address my concerns which I hope they have truly settled them already.

The pool and the gym are located at the penthouse of the hotel offering breathtaking views but sadly the design did not capitalize on that and there are no tables and chairs where one could relax and enjoy the views, only those tanning pool beds/seats.

Location? I love its location. It is near 24-hour convenience stores and a lot of restaurants especially North Park, a Chinese restaurant offering delectable food. Anyway the hotel is just a 5-10 minutes away by taxi from Greenbelt/Ayala area on one side and Rockwell Powerplant Mall on the other side.

Yes I am staying here again in January/February 2012!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

Service was good. Rooms are small. Three in one shampoo/body shampoo is not up to the mark.
Booked through Agoda, got higher rates what are available of the counter. Place is well located in Makati.
Bufe Breakfast menu should have more Veg dishes.

• Stayed November 2011
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

Not by any means a luxury hotel but certainly comfortable and clean. The rooms aren't very large but good enough. It is well placed in Makati. The staff were friendly and generally I was happy given the rate paid. I stayed overnight before connecting on so it was a quick stop. Breakfast is pretty good too. Would definitley stay there again for a quick stop over but not if I was staying for any longer period. For a little more you can step up to the high end.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

A great place to unwind..... accessible to everything from nightlife, shopping malls and of course dining facilities. Staff are hospitable and friendly, views fantastic - more so, on the top floor where the gym and swimming pool reside. I will definitely be back......

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

Hotel is relatively new so the rooms nice. We stayed in a de luxe room which is spacious and convenient if you have a number of luggage. Bed is comfortable too, you won't have problems sleeping. Bathroom, however, is really small. Might be uncomfortable for taller than average guests especially that the bathtub is oh so tiny as well. Lobby and hall ways seem not to be airconditioned, really hot especially when the front desk staff is still busy chatting with each other even if you're right in front of them already. Breakfast buffet is pretty decent, but staff can be rowdy (taking photos of themselves, cursing, albiet jokingly, while clearing tables, laughing so loud), ruined the quiet-vibe of my meal. If you brought a car and park it in the basement, you'll have no choice but to ride a filthy service elevator on your way up -- that's the part I hated the most. On the brighter side tho, security personnel/door men are attentive, always ready to assist my mother who is not so mobile. I think it will take some time before I stay in this hotel again. Good thing I got our room in a promotional rate.

Room Tip: Get higher floors to be sure that you'll get to rest and sleep free from all the noise along the...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
DerrickTan, General Manager at St Giles Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking time to write positive and constructive feedback about our hotel and staff. I appreciate that you shared the convenience of our Deluxe rooms and the comfort of our beds. I am sorry however that you found the bathroom’s size as insufficient. It has been designed to be functional and not as luxurious as what you expect in five star hotels.
The lobby has air conditioning, however, there are days when the influx of guests coming in and out increases and the weather outside gets warmer, we cannot avoid having this problem since we have two entrances in the lobby, one facing Makati Avenue and one at Kalayaan Avenue. Ways to resolve this problem are being evaluated already.
I already reminded our new associates about your comments at the front desk and at the restaurant. As for the service elevator from the basement parking, I do not really call it filthy since not even garbage pass through the service elevator but it is of course not as elegant as our guest lifts. I am sorry if this inconvenienced you. We are working on your concern on this.
Thanks for commending our security personnel and I hope your mother is doing better in moving around freely.
I hope that you will come back to stay with us soon.

Best regards,
Derrick Tan

Been to St Giles Hotel? Share your experiences!