“Great location and exemplary customer service but .....” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Franchise One Hotel

You added Franchise One Hotel to your Saves list
Franchise One Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   7430 Santillan Street | corner Fernando Street, Brgy Pio del Pilar, Makati, Luzon 7430, Philippines   |
Ranked #46 of 71 Hotels in Makati
The Hague, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
“Great location and exemplary customer service but .....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

My 4 year old son and I are staying in this hotel for the 2nd night now. We will be checking out tomorrow. Date today is August 8, 2013.

The good stuff:

1) Very professional, sincerely helpful and courteous customer service personnel from reception to kitchen.
2) Very nice hot and cold shower. Takes just a few seconds for water to get warm and easy to adjust between warm and cold water. Water pressure is excellent!
3) Great location for our purpose in coming to Manila. Just a few minute drive to the Department of Foreign Affairs and to Makati area where the Dutch embassy is located. Just a walking distance away from a shopping mall (can't remember the name).

The "not-so-good" stuff:

1) No free internet connection inside the room. This is the biggest disappointment for me because I work online and conduct business virtually. Need to pay P200 per 24 hours and you gotta pay for 24 hours even if you don't use it for 24 hours. Unless you are holed up in your hotel room for the whole 24 hours then to me this is reasonable. The thing is when you are in a hotel you are most of the time outside and in my case back only late in the afternoon.

I still paid P200 for yesterday's internet usage. Then this evening, I asked if I can pay only for 12 hours instead of 24 hours since I will be checking out anyway tomorrow at 12:00 noon. Not at all possible... which I find just ridiculous. I could have used my prepaid broadband connection but for some reason it does not work inside my room. I still have enough load for it. Checked it just now and my unlimited data connection for it is still up to August 11. Signal is also very strong at 5 bars. I am therefore forced by the circumstances and the hotel's policy to pay for a 24 hour internet usage for a lot less than 24 hours of use.

They have free wifi in the lobby but I travel along with my little boy whom I cannot leave behind the room all by himself while he sleeps.

2) Kitchen service needs a bit of improvement. Ordered for corned beef omelet this morning and was served with, yes, corned beef omelet but with lots of ketchup toppings. I would have preferred to be asked first whether I like it topped with something. Unfortunately, I am not so keen on ketchup on top of an omelet. the menu didn't say anything about ketchup. :-(

3) This evening, I ordered shrimp sinigang for dinner. After 20 minutes or so, I was told that food is ready and that I should prepare the payment. Moments later I was called again by the kitchen staff only to tell me that the shrimp is not good anymore and asked if I would like to change my order. I did of course but I just find it weird that they knew about the shrimp not being good only when they were about to serve it. My starving son had to wait for another 20 minutes to be served with a different dish this time.

Overall, the greatest "plus" for this hotel is their location and the exceptionally customer friendly staff.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Franchise One Hotel, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Apologies for the late reply. Thank you for all your feedback and hope you will stay with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Shanghai, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I stayed in a Queen Bed room last week for 2 nights. Overall my stay was ok. However, even as their rates may seem good, the place may still seem over-priced to many travelers, as frankly though, most hotels in Manila are.

The pros:
* Well, no question, the shower. Plenty of hot water, excellent water pressure! Btw, this is by no means a given in Manila at all. The bathroom itself is ok, very small, basic, no frills. Extra lighting would not hurt.
* Great AC, cooled the room in a few minutes.
* Bed mattress was ok. Strange thing though, the cleaning staff do not make the bed with the top sheet, they just leave the top sheet folded on the bed!
* Furniture ok but aging. Small table with two chairs.
* LCD tv on the wall.
* Pleasant staff, from the receptionists to the security.
* Location: it is about 400 meters from Paseo de Roxas and the start of Greenbelt. Definitely walkable. About 2-min walk from Makati Square with a 24-hr McDonalds and a KFC. The immediate area though is dark and lifeless at night. Easy access from the Skyway and the airport.

Cons:
* No free internet in the room. 170 Php for LAN in the room per day I believe, but free wifi in the lobby/restaurant (with a password).
* Small closet, the bottom half of which was taken by the small fridge. Cannot hang clothes properly.
* I was awakened one morning by what sounded like a jackhammer inside the building! Turned out they were drilling a huge hole in the wall at the restaurant downstairs for a fridge.
* Windows cannot be opened.

The curious:
* There is still a construction site directly opposite the hotel. They were not working when I was there, so it was not a problem. But double-check before you book.
* You will have to sign a no-smoking paper and a detailed lost items "contract" upon checking in. For every violation there is a corresponding steep charge. That is more appropriate for a dormitory, and I have never seen something similar in 20 years of travel. My first thought was that a dormitory/hostel doesn't cost $45-$50 a night.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Franchise One Hotel, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Thank you for the time you took to write about your experience with us. We learned a few things fro your comments and on some we need only give you the courtesy of a full explanation of the whys and wherefores of our policies.

The pros:

The top sheet you mean the sheet that goes under the blanket, not the sheet that wraps the bed mattress. That's the fitted sheet. We do make the fitted sheet but leave the top.sheet as its an option for guests., its warmer in the tropics so some like it others don't.

* Furniture ok but aging. Small table with two chairs.

Looked at some and yes, they are nicked and scratched with use.. Thanks.. Will begin re-finishing to spruce em up!

* The immediate area though is dark and lifeless at night.

Not entirely accurate. As you mention we are across the street fro all kinds of entertainment and restaurant venues and bars.. But ok, right on our street, we are purely residential and this works really great for us as its quiet enough for a hearty sleep but near enough for fun times.

Cons:

True. Internet costs should be dropping with demand but oddly its not. We need to merely recoup costs to provide and maintain --otherwise our low room rates will have to absorb the costs which we don't want to do.

What clothes won't hang? A long gown won't thats true but slacks and coats will....

Yes sorry for that, we were indeed constantly upgrading our facilities

* Windows cannot be opened.

They are double glazed to soundproof so opening them will ruin the seals. But why do you want them open when you got air conditioning 24/7 which you said was cool?

The curious:
* There is still a construction site directly opposite the hotel.

Won't affect us.

For some reason, we attract the type of traveller that totally disrespects linen and hotel property in so many ghastly ways to mention that warning them in advance seems,the only way to keep our linen over the lifespan intended. It's all about keeping our room rates low and needing to keep costs low to effect that low room rate to you.

*That is more appropriate for a dormitory, and I have never seen something similar in 20 years of travel. My first thought was that a dormitory/hostel doesn't cost $45-$50 a night.

Dorms are longer stays and the linen and such are bound to be outright replaced, and come to think of it, dorms don't give amenities. The contract for dorms are for a lease... The house rules you singed with us are stricter because they apply to one night transients that do all sorts of activity and do things in our inn that they normally would not do to their own things at home.

Like put a lit cigarette on the edge of a table.... Use the towel to polish black shoes.... Sleep on pillows with newly dyed hair... And worse --which we can't mention here.

Ergo, the House Rules you signed creates awareness that those fresh sheets provided are labored over to keep pristine for you. And the money you paid is to enjoy our facilities not purchase them by ruining them overnight.

Thank you and happy travels. Cheers!
Ocean Shores, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

this place is plush! rooms are big and sound proof, tv and dvd player,shower is incredible, super clean and at a reasonable cost and a great location and every floor has it's own filtered water station...hands down, would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Franchise One Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you very much indeed for,your gracious praise! You're the first one who finds our rooms 'spacious' but of course you're very welcome and entitled to own your personal opinion. Lest others expect too much after reading your enthusiastic comments-- each room is 19 square meters total which includes the ensuite toilet and shower.

There is a 32 inch flat screen tv with DVD player and as many movies for free you may borrow at the front desk. We give free bags of popcorn too with your movie!

Each room has a double door for extra soundproofing from hallway noise. Windows are likewise double glazed to omit city traffic noise in a very central location. We are steps away from Makati Cinema Square mall, and three minutes walk away from the more modern Waltermart Mall.

Japan town, an enclave of restaurants and bars is only across the street from us. Massage places are literally next door. Three to chose from to boot! Lots of night life on Amaorsolo Mile Long Arcade, literally a mile long of shops, bars and places to eat. Again merely cross the street from us. These are not FIVE STAR. Places, so mid priced, affordable,and not too polished atmosphere where you can enjoy yourself but not get ripped off.

In keeping with the general vicinity, we likewise followed suit by matching our inn to be like the rest of the neighborhood namely-- affordable, clean, hospitable, and overall a repeat business kind of place to hang out and come back for more of the same.. Thanks and please do come back again!

Cheers!
Penang, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

Firstly, every taxi driver we had found it extremely difficult to find our hotel. not sure of this is part of their game of whether it really is located somewhere obscure. The hotel was what you would expect for the price. Wifi is only available downstairs in the lobby. When we arrived there was an advertisement for half price accommodation and discounted meals and massages if it was your birthday during your stay. It was my birthday however they wouldn't honour the offer as I had booked online. There is also no lift. For western tourists I would recommend staying in Pasay City or Malate as there is not much happening in Makati, only smaller malls mor suitable for local shoppers and no apparent restaurants only take away type places

• Stayed January 2013
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Franchise One Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thanks for your good review. These days many taxi cab drivers do not know any specific locations until,they've Actually been there themselves. To,date there are over 400 thousand taxis plying our metropolis with turn over rates of new hires triple that number -- so new drivers really don't know left from right. Major landmarks is all they know and our major landmarks are Waltermart mall, 3 min walk away,,and cross reference that with Makati Cinema Square, literally a few steps from our door.

Internet in rooms is CABLED hard wired for quick broadband for $ 4. Unlimited use. And apologies, yes, birthday specials cannot be to given online bookings because online agents do earn commissions after all.

Makati has PLENTY to do! Malate and Pasay are infamous for unregulated girly pool bars and are pretty seedy to boot. Both areas have declined into urban decay for most parts with only their reputations being "Olde Manila" left intact. Tourists must see Manila after all.... Makati is NOT Manila you see... People still use the keyword-- Manila -- in search engines when planning a Philippine Visit.

When Mayor Lim passed a city ordinance banning girly bars back In 1997, Malate and Pasay became ghost towns overnight as the official red-light district migrated en masse to Makati on P. Burgos St. across Makati Avenue -- now littered with pool bars, high rise hotels, restaurants, bars and girls galore. The then Makati Mayor, who is now VP of the Philippines, wisely accommodated and regulated the red district so it's safer to do business, whatever business you do, in Makati. The once infamous glitzy neon lighted Malate Ermita Olde Manila area in its entirety turned Sombre and dark with a flick of a switch. Big mistake for Manila Counsellors. a revival which they wanted-- of so,called decent business never happened. What's more, today most of Pasay is decrepit and dirty which is sad because I was born in Pasay and hail it as my home town although I was raised in Makati.

Makati continues to thrive with new buildings and restoration of old ones to keep it's place as the premier district of the,whole Philippines. Makati boasts of thousands of establishments with acres upon acres of interconnected upscale malls which would,take a week to explore... So am not too sure what you mean by nothing much going on ! For example, The only legitimate theaters are here in Makati as a high note. Upscale, low scale and,everything in between scale we got in Makati!

Hope you give Makati another pass soon. Cheers!
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Before my flight last 13 Nov 2012, I was cramming to find a hotel in Makati. As I lived there for years, I practically know which location is convenient and safe for travellers. I saw this Franchise One and got interested because the owner of St. Illian’s Inn at the same place is basically the owner of this Franchise One. And for years I know that St. Illian’s Inn is a nice place for foreigners.

So when I reached the airport, I called them to assist if they can book for me on that same day and I was accommodated promptly. The place is definitely not so far to the airport, the giant malls like Glorietta, Landmark and SM Makati. Just walking distant, you will see the Waltermart Mall and Makati Square for cheap items.

Fast foods are around the corner and the IRD is equally nice to try. The room itself is cozy with the soft bed and pillow, clean bed sheets and towels which are very important for travelers as you only get to stay in the room in the night after one whole day of exploring the place.

The staffs are genuinely helpful and accommodating. The room got amenities like refrigerators, TV, hot and cold shower and blower. The water is excellent and you don’t have to worry about being late for your appointment. You can bathe as long as you want as it won’t run out.

The price for a night is satisfactory considering the area is in Makati. The rest of the Inns or Hotels within the area might be of the same or higher price. And personally, I’m very familiar with the place because I was once a bed spacer in Washington and Evangelista Street.

If there is a room for improvement that is the water in the bath area clogs. For two rooms I occupied, 3050 and 4050, the issue is the same. And having no lift, going to the room by stairs is not a big issue (As they assist in bringing your luggage and things!).

And the best part that any traveler should consider is the security. Being a small hotel or Inn, they can monitor closely the people coming up to the floors because they locked the gate to the rooms and it’s so great!

Room Tip: "Choose rooms on the lower floors"
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Franchise One Hotel, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you indeed for your glowing praise! It's noteworthyto receive this account from you because you yourself said you're from Makati previously and know the area very well. That you give praises about our inn and mention in detail why you give the good comments is the best proof that we are on target in our product/service.

You mentioned the drains of the showers being a bit slow. And also you mention you,take a long long shower and water never runs out. Also, please note the,rainmaker shower heads have incredible water flow so much so that the volume of a long,long shower could with fast flow will of. Course cause drain to fill! But so glad you enjoyed the bath! The rainmakers are truly a nice feature.

Merry Christmas. Cheers!
Ortigas Center, Pasig
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I just stayed at Franchise One in Makati and and found it to be a very comfortable, value hotel.

The staff were friendly, the facilities clean and orderly and the location is excellent... just a short walk away from the Makati Central Business District. The hotel has a small restaurant in the lobby that serves value meals. I had some fettachini and a sandwich, both were excellent at about US$5-6 each. I was also impressed with hotel security, which included cameras at strategic locations and a security door controlled by the receptionist, at the main entrance.

They provide free internet in the lobby and room internet service for about US$5 a day. I found my room to be clean and comfortable, nothing fancy... but very nice for the money. The restroom was also good with an excellent hot and cold shower and nice fixtures. The water pressure (which is a big deal in Manila) was also outstanding! The only downside I can report, is the hotel only has a few parking spaces. But most visitors, like myself just walk or take taxis, so is not big deal. Bottom line, I highly recommend the Franchise Inn to anyone interested in a budget hotel in downtown Makati.

During my stay I also noticed a similar hotel just down the street called St Illians Inn... I was told this is owned by the same owners, and from the looks of the lobby and from outside... it may be a good alternative, if Franchise One is fully booked.

Room Tip: Any room is good, as this is a small boutique hotel.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Franchise One Hotel, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your praises and comments about your experience at our inn! Yes it is very true that it is not enough for a hotel to put up a comfortable room and take payment for it. Guests "experience" the entire "feel" of a hotel and you have indeed captured and reported the very essence of who we are , a great value place to stay for the money! Thank you!

Cheers!

Been to Franchise One Hotel? Share your experiences!