“Our stay, my first in PH” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Franchise One Hotel

You added Franchise One Hotel to your Saves list
Franchise One Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   7430 Santillan Street | corner Fernando Street, Brgy Pio del Pilar, Makati, Luzon 7430, Philippines   |
Ranked #44 of 71 Hotels in Makati

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Shanghai, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I stayed in a Queen Bed room last week for 2 nights. Overall my stay was ok. However, even as their rates may seem good, the place may still seem over-priced to many travelers, as frankly though, most hotels in Manila are.

The pros:
* Well, no question, the shower. Plenty of hot water, excellent water pressure! Btw, this is by no means a given in Manila at all. The bathroom itself is ok, very small, basic, no frills. Extra lighting would not hurt.
* Great AC, cooled the room in a few minutes.
* Bed mattress was ok. Strange thing though, the cleaning staff do not make the bed with the top sheet, they just leave the top sheet folded on the bed!
* Furniture ok but aging. Small table with two chairs.
* LCD tv on the wall.
* Pleasant staff, from the receptionists to the security.
* Location: it is about 400 meters from Paseo de Roxas and the start of Greenbelt. Definitely walkable. About 2-min walk from Makati Square with a 24-hr McDonalds and a KFC. The immediate area though is dark and lifeless at night. Easy access from the Skyway and the airport.

Cons:
* No free internet in the room. 170 Php for LAN in the room per day I believe, but free wifi in the lobby/restaurant (with a password).
* Small closet, the bottom half of which was taken by the small fridge. Cannot hang clothes properly.
* I was awakened one morning by what sounded like a jackhammer inside the building! Turned out they were drilling a huge hole in the wall at the restaurant downstairs for a fridge.
* Windows cannot be opened.

The curious:
* There is still a construction site directly opposite the hotel. They were not working when I was there, so it was not a problem. But double-check before you book.
* You will have to sign a no-smoking paper and a detailed lost items "contract" upon checking in. For every violation there is a corresponding steep charge. That is more appropriate for a dormitory, and I have never seen something similar in 20 years of travel. My first thought was that a dormitory/hostel doesn't cost $45-$50 a night.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Franchise One Hotel, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Thank you for the time you took to write about your experience with us. We learned a few things fro your comments and on some we need only give you the courtesy of a full explanation of the whys and wherefores of our policies.

The pros:

The top sheet you mean the sheet that goes under the blanket, not the sheet that wraps the bed mattress. That's the fitted sheet. We do make the fitted sheet but leave the top.sheet as its an option for guests., its warmer in the tropics so some like it others don't.

* Furniture ok but aging. Small table with two chairs.

Looked at some and yes, they are nicked and scratched with use.. Thanks.. Will begin re-finishing to spruce em up!

* The immediate area though is dark and lifeless at night.

Not entirely accurate. As you mention we are across the street fro all kinds of entertainment and restaurant venues and bars.. But ok, right on our street, we are purely residential and this works really great for us as its quiet enough for a hearty sleep but near enough for fun times.

Cons:

True. Internet costs should be dropping with demand but oddly its not. We need to merely recoup costs to provide and maintain --otherwise our low room rates will have to absorb the costs which we don't want to do.

What clothes won't hang? A long gown won't thats true but slacks and coats will....

Yes sorry for that, we were indeed constantly upgrading our facilities

* Windows cannot be opened.

They are double glazed to soundproof so opening them will ruin the seals. But why do you want them open when you got air conditioning 24/7 which you said was cool?

The curious:
* There is still a construction site directly opposite the hotel.

Won't affect us.

For some reason, we attract the type of traveller that totally disrespects linen and hotel property in so many ghastly ways to mention that warning them in advance seems,the only way to keep our linen over the lifespan intended. It's all about keeping our room rates low and needing to keep costs low to effect that low room rate to you.

*That is more appropriate for a dormitory, and I have never seen something similar in 20 years of travel. My first thought was that a dormitory/hostel doesn't cost $45-$50 a night.

Dorms are longer stays and the linen and such are bound to be outright replaced, and come to think of it, dorms don't give amenities. The contract for dorms are for a lease... The house rules you singed with us are stricter because they apply to one night transients that do all sorts of activity and do things in our inn that they normally would not do to their own things at home.

Like put a lit cigarette on the edge of a table.... Use the towel to polish black shoes.... Sleep on pillows with newly dyed hair... And worse --which we can't mention here.

Ergo, the House Rules you signed creates awareness that those fresh sheets provided are labored over to keep pristine for you. And the money you paid is to enjoy our facilities not purchase them by ruining them overnight.

Thank you and happy travels. Cheers!
Ocean Shores, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

this place is plush! rooms are big and sound proof, tv and dvd player,shower is incredible, super clean and at a reasonable cost and a great location and every floor has it's own filtered water station...hands down, would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Franchise One Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you very much indeed for,your gracious praise! You're the first one who finds our rooms 'spacious' but of course you're very welcome and entitled to own your personal opinion. Lest others expect too much after reading your enthusiastic comments-- each room is 19 square meters total which includes the ensuite toilet and shower.

There is a 32 inch flat screen tv with DVD player and as many movies for free you may borrow at the front desk. We give free bags of popcorn too with your movie!

Each room has a double door for extra soundproofing from hallway noise. Windows are likewise double glazed to omit city traffic noise in a very central location. We are steps away from Makati Cinema Square mall, and three minutes walk away from the more modern Waltermart Mall.

Japan town, an enclave of restaurants and bars is only across the street from us. Massage places are literally next door. Three to chose from to boot! Lots of night life on Amaorsolo Mile Long Arcade, literally a mile long of shops, bars and places to eat. Again merely cross the street from us. These are not FIVE STAR. Places, so mid priced, affordable,and not too polished atmosphere where you can enjoy yourself but not get ripped off.

In keeping with the general vicinity, we likewise followed suit by matching our inn to be like the rest of the neighborhood namely-- affordable, clean, hospitable, and overall a repeat business kind of place to hang out and come back for more of the same.. Thanks and please do come back again!

Penang, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

Firstly, every taxi driver we had found it extremely difficult to find our hotel. not sure of this is part of their game of whether it really is located somewhere obscure. The hotel was what you would expect for the price. Wifi is only available downstairs in the lobby. When we arrived there was an advertisement for half price accommodation and discounted meals and massages if it was your birthday during your stay. It was my birthday however they wouldn't honour the offer as I had booked online. There is also no lift. For western tourists I would recommend staying in Pasay City or Malate as there is not much happening in Makati, only smaller malls mor suitable for local shoppers and no apparent restaurants only take away type places

• Stayed January 2013
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Franchise One Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thanks for your good review. These days many taxi cab drivers do not know any specific locations until,they've Actually been there themselves. To,date there are over 400 thousand taxis plying our metropolis with turn over rates of new hires triple that number -- so new drivers really don't know left from right. Major landmarks is all they know and our major landmarks are Waltermart mall, 3 min walk away,,and cross reference that with Makati Cinema Square, literally a few steps from our door.

Internet in rooms is CABLED hard wired for quick broadband for $ 4. Unlimited use. And apologies, yes, birthday specials cannot be to given online bookings because online agents do earn commissions after all.

Makati has PLENTY to do! Malate and Pasay are infamous for unregulated girly pool bars and are pretty seedy to boot. Both areas have declined into urban decay for most parts with only their reputations being "Olde Manila" left intact. Tourists must see Manila after all.... Makati is NOT Manila you see... People still use the keyword-- Manila -- in search engines when planning a Philippine Visit.

When Mayor Lim passed a city ordinance banning girly bars back In 1997, Malate and Pasay became ghost towns overnight as the official red-light district migrated en masse to Makati on P. Burgos St. across Makati Avenue -- now littered with pool bars, high rise hotels, restaurants, bars and girls galore. The then Makati Mayor, who is now VP of the Philippines, wisely accommodated and regulated the red district so it's safer to do business, whatever business you do, in Makati. The once infamous glitzy neon lighted Malate Ermita Olde Manila area in its entirety turned Sombre and dark with a flick of a switch. Big mistake for Manila Counsellors. a revival which they wanted-- of so,called decent business never happened. What's more, today most of Pasay is decrepit and dirty which is sad because I was born in Pasay and hail it as my home town although I was raised in Makati.

Makati continues to thrive with new buildings and restoration of old ones to keep it's place as the premier district of the,whole Philippines. Makati boasts of thousands of establishments with acres upon acres of interconnected upscale malls which would,take a week to explore... So am not too sure what you mean by nothing much going on ! For example, The only legitimate theaters are here in Makati as a high note. Upscale, low scale and,everything in between scale we got in Makati!

Hope you give Makati another pass soon. Cheers!
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Before my flight last 13 Nov 2012, I was cramming to find a hotel in Makati. As I lived there for years, I practically know which location is convenient and safe for travellers. I saw this Franchise One and got interested because the owner of St. Illian’s Inn at the same place is basically the owner of this Franchise One. And for years I know that St. Illian’s Inn is a nice place for foreigners.

So when I reached the airport, I called them to assist if they can book for me on that same day and I was accommodated promptly. The place is definitely not so far to the airport, the giant malls like Glorietta, Landmark and SM Makati. Just walking distant, you will see the Waltermart Mall and Makati Square for cheap items.

Fast foods are around the corner and the IRD is equally nice to try. The room itself is cozy with the soft bed and pillow, clean bed sheets and towels which are very important for travelers as you only get to stay in the room in the night after one whole day of exploring the place.

The staffs are genuinely helpful and accommodating. The room got amenities like refrigerators, TV, hot and cold shower and blower. The water is excellent and you don’t have to worry about being late for your appointment. You can bathe as long as you want as it won’t run out.

The price for a night is satisfactory considering the area is in Makati. The rest of the Inns or Hotels within the area might be of the same or higher price. And personally, I’m very familiar with the place because I was once a bed spacer in Washington and Evangelista Street.

If there is a room for improvement that is the water in the bath area clogs. For two rooms I occupied, 3050 and 4050, the issue is the same. And having no lift, going to the room by stairs is not a big issue (As they assist in bringing your luggage and things!).

And the best part that any traveler should consider is the security. Being a small hotel or Inn, they can monitor closely the people coming up to the floors because they locked the gate to the rooms and it’s so great!

Room Tip: "Choose rooms on the lower floors"
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Franchise One Hotel, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you indeed for your glowing praise! It's noteworthyto receive this account from you because you yourself said you're from Makati previously and know the area very well. That you give praises about our inn and mention in detail why you give the good comments is the best proof that we are on target in our product/service.

You mentioned the drains of the showers being a bit slow. And also you mention you,take a long long shower and water never runs out. Also, please note the,rainmaker shower heads have incredible water flow so much so that the volume of a long,long shower could with fast flow will of. Course cause drain to fill! But so glad you enjoyed the bath! The rainmakers are truly a nice feature.

Merry Christmas. Cheers!
Ortigas Center, Pasig
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I just stayed at Franchise One in Makati and and found it to be a very comfortable, value hotel.

The staff were friendly, the facilities clean and orderly and the location is excellent... just a short walk away from the Makati Central Business District. The hotel has a small restaurant in the lobby that serves value meals. I had some fettachini and a sandwich, both were excellent at about US$5-6 each. I was also impressed with hotel security, which included cameras at strategic locations and a security door controlled by the receptionist, at the main entrance.

They provide free internet in the lobby and room internet service for about US$5 a day. I found my room to be clean and comfortable, nothing fancy... but very nice for the money. The restroom was also good with an excellent hot and cold shower and nice fixtures. The water pressure (which is a big deal in Manila) was also outstanding! The only downside I can report, is the hotel only has a few parking spaces. But most visitors, like myself just walk or take taxis, so is not big deal. Bottom line, I highly recommend the Franchise Inn to anyone interested in a budget hotel in downtown Makati.

During my stay I also noticed a similar hotel just down the street called St Illians Inn... I was told this is owned by the same owners, and from the looks of the lobby and from outside... it may be a good alternative, if Franchise One is fully booked.

Room Tip: Any room is good, as this is a small boutique hotel.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Franchise One Hotel, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your praises and comments about your experience at our inn! Yes it is very true that it is not enough for a hotel to put up a comfortable room and take payment for it. Guests "experience" the entire "feel" of a hotel and you have indeed captured and reported the very essence of who we are , a great value place to stay for the money! Thank you!

Tallinn, Estonia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

I liked this hotel because had a decent sized room with internet (via cable) for a decent price. We went there for 2 nights but ended up staying 4 nights. We had our own freezer(not a minibar, but a proper empty freezer you can use to keep your own drinks and foods). It was pretty much perfect for the money. Staff was very friendly and took the time to talk with us and even play with our son. No problems with noise(They have extra glass doors you can slide infront of your door that cancels almost any outside noise). Foods were also quite good, although a little pricey, but then again all hotel food is pricey. They have their own little in-house bakery and you can buy & order freshly baked cakes and stuff! The area around the hotell was pretty safe and there's a large mall nearby, also the nearest McDonalds is pretty close if you want something totally cheap and not local. They had a minivan available for hire that took us to airport at 2am which is nice because using a random cab at the night just didn't felt safe enough for us. But the surrounding area of the hotel felt very safe and secure.

There was no pen and paper in the room. No elevator but at least it had wide stairs(our room was on the 2'nd floor so no problems with that) so handicapped people my find it troublesome.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor are easily accessible and you don't notice the people passing because...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Franchise One Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear Sir—

Thank you for appreciating our efforts to assure a quiet sleep for you! Yes everything you mentioned is indeed true—we installed the added sliding glass door over the already stiff steel door of each room to make sure guests in hallways conversing and otherwise making a noise going to their rooms at night is minimized. Thank you for noticing this as we’ve often wondered if the expense was worth it!

On everything else, it’s a very objective review you posted and we thank you for being so fair in this. Often times, one small detail is missed and the comments zero in on this one negative and forget all the other positives of the experience. Please do return and mention this review—we’re bound to appreciate it with a free breakfast since you said you like our food too!

Cheers!

Been to Franchise One Hotel? Share your experiences!