“Honest Staff, great food, quiet” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Franchise One Hotel

Save Saved
You added Franchise One Hotel to your Saves list
Franchise One Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   7430 Santillan Street | corner Fernando Street, Brgy Pio del Pilar, Makati, Luzon 7430, Philippines   |
Ranked #42 of 66 Hotels in Makati
New Westminster, Canada
“Honest Staff, great food, quiet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

I stayed here twice, each time for one night. I chose this hotel because the reviews said it was quiet, clean and close to the airport. I found all this true. The attached cafe served very good food, the best that I experienced in my week in the Philippines. although a hot breakfast wasn't available for me at 5 am, the coffee made up for it. The hotel is very conscientious about keeping the hallways quiet and the windows do a good job on keeping street noise out. The mattress was comfortable, there was a room safe and fridge, I didn't use either. The doorman made sure that I got a cab in the morning for the airport and wrote down all the important info that helps keep the cab driver honest. If you take a metered taxi and ask them to use the 'skyway' it will cost between 150 and 200 php, plus the 35 php toll. Do expect that the cabbie may need to look up directions, the hotel is very close to the exit ramp. You need to provide the full address including the cross street. Don't use google map for directions, it will give you a long route.
I took a walk around the neighbourhood during daylight hours and didn't feel uncomfortable.
But the best part of my visit was the honesty of the staff. I left my money belt in the room with 4000 php and over one hundred US dollars in it. I would not have realized this until I got to the airport. I was about 15 mins into my breakfast when a staff member brought it to me, every cent still in the belt.

Room Tip: Had room 4070 and 5010 - both very quiet. Think all rooms are quiet.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Franchise One Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2012
First of all, thank you very much for your glowing review. A few items you mentioned are noteworthy—

Yes, we do make a quiet sleep for guests a priority. Sleep quality is after all, the most important thing in a hotel room. Thank you for noticing the numerous facility provisions for this.

Yes, our coffee shop does not begin serving hot meals till 6 AM. We find that very few travelers want a big breakfast that early as they are bleary eyed and only wish to catch an early flight quickly. Glad to hear you liked our expresso machine which puts out real freshly ground bean brews.

Yes our food is truly studied by management—all dishes originate from our personal home kitchen. We create the dish; put it in a recipe book which is strictly adhered to by all our cooks to ensure consistent delivery of the quality ingredients and cooking method.

Yes we write down taxi plate numbers and hand to you when we catch a cab for you so you have some recourse should you forget luggage in the cab. Just another way we care for guests.

And most of all, a resounding yes to our honest staff. We give lots of company benefits and look after the employees’ welfare as best as we can within budgetary limits of course. They are much happier and value their jobs just that much more. As a result, we find a happier crew makes for better service to guests and your comments about this is our final payback. Thank you for noticing and taking the time to appreciate our efforts.

Your review was shared to all and I am trying to determine who it was that found and returned your money belt. I would like to personally reward that person. Do you remember who it was? What gender and what time? We can easily trace who it was and any inputs would be helpful. You may email me directly through the tripadvisor page email provision.

Many, many thanks and please come stay with us again.

Cheers!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012 via mobile

We arrived into Manila just after midnight. We wanted something close to the airport as we were flying out to Cebu that morning so we chose one of the cheapest airport hotels on Expedia. I even put our arrival details in the booking.

Before leaving Australia, I emailed the hotel to reconfirm our booking and confirmed we needed a late check in.

When we tried to check into the hotel, they advised us our room was given away and there were no more rooms available to accommodate 3 adults.

They tried calling their sister hotels and it wasn't until just before 2am they were able to get us a room at Makati Inn. By then I was furious they had misplaced our booking (their colleague had received our booking and filed it away without actioning it!) and we were all extremely tired. We made it clear to them that the hotel would have to pay for our taxi to the next hotel due to the inconvenience.

We weren't charged for the error and Makati Inn may have been a better hotel than Franchise One but when you have a flight to catch in a few hours the last thing you need is incompetent service plus a taxi driving trying to rip you off thinking the guests will pay the P300 pesos fare which the hotel claims should only be P50 because it's literally down the road!

Our room in Makati Inn was nothing special. It was a big room with no windows. We opted to wait til we got to Cebu to use the bathroom as the bathroom in Makati Inn could definitely do with a good scrub.

If you want convenience and something close to the Airport, best to try Nichols Airport Hotel which was recommended by family. It's closer to the airport and they have plenty of clean rooms.

• Stayed February 2012
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Franchise One Hotel, responded to this review, March 5, 2012
Greetings,

In this instance I will must apologize for misplacing this reservation with Expedia. It was indeed through the negligence of our staff in encoding this particular reservation properly and while the person responsible for the mistake was already dismissed last month for numerous and various other grievances, it is still nevertheless still our ultimate culpability in the matter. I apologize for the error.

On the other matters, I think we have resolved this directly with the complainant via emails but so the public may know in open forum—

1) We did in fact pay for the cab fare to our other branch, which is literally, one kilometer away and walkable in any instance. Of course we did transfer by cab and no overcharging the customer occurred; either with the cab nor with rooms or anything related to this booking. Why the customer included this in her complaint is anyone’s guess but perhaps a disgruntled complainant will pad the bad pie to make the eating of it just that more worse.

2) It is not difficult to inspect only 24 rooms so I personally inspected all 24 bathrooms at our branch and while these were not, repeat, not spotless-- I would not encourage anyone to eat off the floor; they nevertheless were not in a state so foul as this complainant suggests, to fore-go having a shower in. The water was hot, the free toiletries in place, clean towels supplied and the overall condition acceptable for the intended purpose - a good hot quick shower.

3) On the rooms having no windows, I have already addressed this in a similar complaint and will reiterate why we opted for closing out the windows. The street is very central and very busy and well traversed by both vehicular and pedestrian traffic. As such, we instead opted to seal off the rooms from all city noise by entirely closing up the windows. We favored the option of providing a quiet sleep over a non-descript city view. If this were a beach resort, then perhaps, the window view would win over a quieter sleep.

In closing, I sincerely apologize for the mistake both privately in direct emails with the complainant and publicly in this open forum. If it is any consolation to would-be future guests who may be turned off by this complaint-- the overbooking is due to the fact that we do have many repeat guests who are indeed served well and like it well enough to return.

Nevertheless, in this instance, there is no excuse, no matter how busy we may be, and I am sorry we did not take this particular reservation properly just as we have done over thousands of times before over the 12 years in successful running of three inns of the same category. I sincerely apologize for making this error. We take the mistake seriously and have likewise instituted a more seamless method for handling reservations.
Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

If you leave a light on in the bathroom, the cockroaches will stay in hiding. Now these aren't the thumb-sized variety, but they do share the same family tree and there are lots of them. And if you're unfortunate enough to end up here (we chose it because of its proximity to the airport) do yourself a favour and eat elsewhere. As an example, the menu description for fish & chips went something like, "...fish in our own lightly seasoned beer batter and freshly cut fries." What landed on my plate was an agglomeration of some kind of fish, rather like an oversized hockey puck and definitely NOT battered. As for the chips, well they were chips alright - as in potato chips. The server seemed quite surprised when I turned it back. Truly awful! And my wife's stir fried vegetables were swimming in soy sauce. No prize there, either.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Franchise One Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2012
Well thats a first time complaint about that and we will definitely look into it.

By the way, we are installing glass sliding doors on ALL existing room doors in order to block out noise coming from inconsiderate guests talking loudly in halls on the way to their rooms. The disturbance was complained about in another review and am letting you all know we act on all complaints.
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

The hotel is situated at very close to shopping malls. Food is everywhere which is nearby hotel. The only downfall of this hostel is that the room and bed is quite small. I felt a bit uncomfy during my sleep and the toilet might not be suitable to a big built. The restaurant serves good food, very nice and friendly service. Overall the experience staying in this hotel is good.

Room Tip: corner room will be a quiet place as the room is not sound proofed.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Franchise One Hotel, responded to this review, February 10, 2012
Dear Reviewer-

Thanks for recommending others to check in at our inn!

May I ask What room did you stay in that you said was not too quiet? All our rooms have double glazed glass panes to block out city noise from outside. So did you still hear outside noise? Or was noise coming from hallways from people using the halls to get to their rooms?

And thank you again for liking our in house food service. All our meals are quality controlled by us, the managers and owners as we eat there on a daily basis too. Our condiments are the best, example. only olive oil is used, not the cheap stuff, to bring out extra flavor and keep away the trans-fats from low end oils.

Cheers!
Bratislava
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2011

This hotel had everything what I do require from a good budget hotel. It was well mainained, newly built/refurbished with very efficient staff. We felt really safe there, rooms were really tidy, having comfortable beds, small LCD TV with DVD player (which is not an usual standard for this type of accomodation). I have really appreciated especially the tidiness of the bathroom that was in general very nice, with hot water power shower. I have also appreciated that the room was really quite as regards the noise outside the street (I guess it has double-glassed window) and from neighbooring rooms either (it was obvious that the management cares a lot about qietness ot the hotel itself in order to make the guest´s stay more relaxing.

Breakfast was also really great, we had enjoyed big variety of meals, and every one was prepared quickly and was really delicious, especially the omelette and the toasts.

Its position is very convenient. Take an taxi and you can be in 10 minutes at Makati, or in 15 minutes at Malate (Roxas blvd. or Intramuros). 200 metres walking distance, there is an Watsons shopping mall which has plenty of restaurants and the supermarket. The hotel itself is located in a quiet and street.

There is another one point, that is worth mentioning. The communication with the hotel staff during the booking was really easy and they were really helpful. I also appreciate the web design, and booking conditions that made booking through it veary easy.

There are only two negative points regarding this hotel. Although, it is centrally located, it is really hard for most taxidrivers to find it (I had to constantny use my own GPS to show them a way ;-). Second bad point is, that every one of us had really big problems to pay via our mastercard/visa cards. Hotel is probably equipped with some older card readers (or software) that could not have accepted our cards. So the hotel staff did not let us go to our rooms until we provided the payment (we were really exhaused and it took us maybe one hour to solve this). Unnecessarily suspicious personnel may appear offending to someone... Also, they did not registered the reservation of the third room, so we needed to wait even longer to solve this, till we reached our rooms... this is in opposition of what the management pretends that is taking care about - the relaxing stay of their guests!!!!

But if you asked me, whether I wouls stay here again, my answer would be definitely yes!!! I I would even not bother myself sonsidering other options!!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Franchise One Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2012
Thanks for the very objective review. I did some checking with our staff about your credit cards not being able to be read and we cannot seem to recall any incident like this. It only happens when the card is over limit and this was not the case in your review.

Anyway, as far as taxis not knowing our address, we have only been open for under 2 years and so we do not have a steady reputation yet. Our other sister inn, Saint Illians Inn, is even “harder to find” although its only 100 steps away from Franchise one. This one has been around for 12 years so all cabbies usually know it. Sorry about that.

Everything else you mentioned is 100% accurate—We do indeed remind all guests at check in that quietness in halls and stairs is for everyone to enjoy a quiet sleep and yes, we did indeed put double glazing on all windows to block out city noise. Thanks that you do appreciate our efforts.

Our coffee shop is indeed all you say it is. The picture you took of the Quesedilla is actually one of our best selling items. It really is so nice that you took the time to post the pictures. All our staff looked at your pictures and recognize you as the kind, sweet and patient man! I think we were truly busy and the order was a bit long although you said it was prepared fast. Thank you!! You truly are a patient, understanding guest, what with your experience with the slow check in due to the card reading difficulty (truly though we cannot recall this.. but I will investigate further) See you again soon! Cheers!
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

We stayed at the hotel for one night on 10 Dec 2011. It was a very last minute decision to leave San Pablo city a day earlier to see Makati city before we catch our plane next afternoon.

We did not make prior reservation.The hotel was full booked when we reached there. The receptionist on duty was very helpful. She helped to call up another hotel down the street to check for availability, but unfortunately it was also fully booked. It was late in the evening, seeing that we do not know where to find another hotel of similar price range, the receptionist checked her reservation record again & asked that we wait for a while. She called up one of the guests who had made a reservation but have not yet turn up. Subsequently it was confirmed that the guest will not be coming & we were very lucky to takeover his room.

We get to book our breakfast at the reception the night before & the breakfast can be served in the room if we like. The hotel also give us a good discount on the room rate if we pay by cash.

Generally, we find the hotel staff to be friendly, well trained and efficient.

Location wise, it is a short distance away from the main business district and it is very near the "little tokyo" where many good Japanese restuarants are. Although the hotel does not have currency exchange service, it is not a problem as there are several money changers in that area.

The room is clean and there is even a DVD/CD player provided. The furnishing is simple but good enough for us. However, please note that the hotel does not have a lift, so expect to climb a few stairs to your room.

It will be even better if the hotel can provide the guests with a simple map marking the money changers, supermarkets, banks, malls etc. nearby the hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Franchise One Hotel, responded to this review, December 18, 2011
Dear Reviewer-

This is the type of review that we love to have—you have given us a new suggestion which we most definitely will act upon.

you suggested that we provide a map of the immediate vicinity of our locale which shows where money changers are, where banks are located, restaurants, malls and other possible places that may be of use to guests.

We take this to mean, hospitals, drug stores, where to buy cell phones, where to reload prepaid cell phone sims, restaurants (what type and price range) as well as jeepney stops, metro rail stops, and even where to get massages and foot spas and barbershops.

This will definitely be a plus for all guest and you are very, very kind in helping us improve our service! Thank you for this.

For all your praises about all the other items—I will not comment further because they were all positive and so thank you for your positive feedback. We already know all these positives because we make sure these are in place and can always be expected of us. But we of course are happy you are well pleased with our hotel and we take great care in providing you with positive experience overall.

Thank you! Cheers!
Quezon City, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

When we reached the place, we were warmly greeted by the staff and we felt very much welcome because of the very personalized touch that they made for us through the little but well thought-out details like personalizing our place mats and greeting our celebrators through the LCD display. Franchise One is a very welcoming, simply elegant and comfortable place. You can feel that the moment you step in.
The hotel also prepared a healthy and delicious dinner for us complete with two mouth-watering cakes: their signature blueberry cheesecake and custard cake. Again, the staff were attentive and friendly. They catered to all our requests graciously.
We also had very cozy rooms and we showered in clean and modern bathrooms and slept in comfy beds. For the price we paid, they were surely worth it! Their family rooms come with a mini fridge, cable TV, and DVD player. They also lend DVDs. Their rooms are definitely clean and devoid of any pest or other disturbances.
The next morning, we awoke to a sumptuous breakfast of our choice. The coffee shop even calls you to inform you that your breakfast is ready. Friendly people are again present to attend to your needs.
We also had the chance to peep into St. Illian's because we're considering it for our next bonding session.The place was equally charming. It has a rustic and homey feel to it. We are definitely considering it.
Our stay was simply wonderful. It was well worth what we paid for. We will definitely be back! I'm also recommending this to people who simply want to enjoy the company of friends in an unpretentious environment where you could talk, have fun, and have a good rest.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Franchise One Hotel, responded to this review, January 10, 2012
Wow what lavish praise! I can't thank you enough. What is there to say when this much praise is heaped high ? Except thank you thank you thank you from the bottom of our collective hearts. We do aim to please and it feels wonderful when it is given back. Thank you!

Been to Franchise One Hotel? Share your experiences!