“Very clean for its price and location!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Franchise One Hotel

You added Franchise One Hotel to your Saves list
Franchise One Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   7430 Santillan Street | corner Fernando Street, Brgy Pio del Pilar, Makati, Luzon 7430, Philippines   |
Ranked #43 of 74 Hotels in Makati
Los Angeles, California
“Very clean for its price and location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

My family and I stayed here for a little under 2 weeks for vacation from the States during the rainy season. This hotel is cheap for its value! The room we stayed in was very clean, and the shower had hot water with great water pressure. Something that may be of issue to some though is that some of the rooms have a very strong ammonia smell due to their rigorous cleaning. I've been to hotels with similar prices and ratings but none compare to Franchise One in terms of cleanliness.

Now, you've heard all the pros that I and several other posters have stated. People searching for reviews tend to look at the negative comments so let me talk about the very few and minor gripes I had about the hotel:

The internet. Their "broadband" is pretty slow. They also have this stupid system where you have to ask for a new log-in and password for every hour of wireless internet you want to use (you can also access the internet in your room but there's a fee). Why not just have a dedicated log-in and password for everybody at the hotel? If you're worried about security issues, change it every week. This will remove such inconvenience.

The soap-dish. They have these soap dishes in the bathroom that is structured with metal bars, and their handsoap is tiny so as a result the soap is constantly falling out if you don't take the needless effort to position the soap correctly.

The food is ehhh, but is really cheap. You're paying what you get for. However, they take FOREVER to make you food. There were various days where it would only be 3 of us in the dining area and they would take half an hour to make the food. It's really not that hard to make scrambled eggs and toast.

The location. I'm not talking about where the hotel is located geographically, it's actually in the middle of everything in so is a perfect place to stay if you plan on going places! I'm talking about the street it's on. We stayed here during the rainy season and if it rains hard and it starts flooding, best believe that you will be stranded here until the flood goes away. This has happened two nights to us during our 2 week stay. So if you're here during the on-season, please disregard this issue.

But besides those minor issues which are easily fixed, this hotel is PERFECT if all you need is a clean and quiet hotel to sleep in! I am definitely staying here again when I come back to visit the Philippines!

Tip: If you rely on taxi's on transportation, bring one of the brochures at the front desk with you. It has a map on it. Some taxis, whether they actually know where the hotel is located or not, will get lost trying to get here. Bring a brochure map and you should be good.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Franchise One Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2011
Dear Reviewer-

Many thanks for your glowing praise for our inn. We would agree with you on almost all your comments—yes, we do keep the entire inn clean and bright; the rooms, halls and lobby coffee shop are indeed sparkling.

The internet password is required because of the high population density of our area. Right across us is a 75 room apartment that can easily pick up our wifi signal. All one needs to do is pay for a cup of coffee to pirate our password and thereby deteriorate further our internet signal reserved for in-house guests. So admittedly it’s a trivial thing to just ask for another FREE password when you want it.

Internet it the rooms are hard-wired and faster. The password for the rooms are like a prepaid card. They expire after 24 hours since you pay US$4 for 24 hours unlimited.

We have recently upgraded our internet provider and we believe on your next stay with us you will see how much faster it is now.

The wire soap dish is corrected now—there is a rubber mat on top of it to prevent soap from slipping through. Thank you for alerting us to this detail.

Perhaps you could be more specific on the food item you found not to your liking. It could be that it is your taste that differs from the rest. Our menu items are ALL prepared strictly from a recipe book. All our cooks are strictly instructed to prepare each order following the recipe and I personally have seen this book tattered and worn and in need of replacement every month or so due to the overuse by cooks and staff. So if there is a menu item you found distasteful, please email me directly and let me know which it was. Otherwise, its merely a matter of personal taste and a case of you can't please everyone.

On the slowness of food service, firstly, please know all items are prepared from scratch, down to our pasta for spaghetti which is also made in-house, for example. Then too, if you see only 3 tables occupied in our coffee shop, please remember that there are 25 more rooms that are probably having breakfast in bed—we may be fully stretched for the morning breakfast service. We have an Advance Order Slip whereby you can order your breakfast as early as the night before and specify what time and where you want the food served. Try using this on your next visit.

Admittedly, hard downpours will flood our street. Good to know that rains start July and end September. So it may flood 5 to 6 times in a year. But, the flood is not more than 7 inches deep so you’re never really stranded…. Cars and taxis still can access the street and, what’s more, as you yourself said, just wait an hour for the water to recede. If its flooded here, its possibly flooded elsewhere and you can expect the same of the rest of the metropolis.

Hope to see you again soon and please do reply by email regarding which food item you did not like. Cheers!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Wichita, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2011

Actually stayed there 3 times on my recent trip to Manila. Tried the St. Illians down the street but after 2 days the cockroaches drove me out. Also spent a night at the Citadel Inn but didn't like the feel of the neighborhood. So kept coming back to Franchise 1. Nice hotel with good mattresses and great showers with rain forest shower heads. You get a discount if you pay cash and also if you buy the Filipino breakfast in advance. Thanks to Kim and Faith at the front desk who answered all my questions and thanks to Rod and Damper who lugged my luggage up and down the stairs and even ran down to the next street to fetch me a cab when there was none available.. Only negative was the shower doors were a little small for my 360 pound body and there is no elevator so I recommend trying to get a room on the second floor. Overall a really nice hotel at an inexpensive price and I will be sure to stay there again on my next trip to Makati

Room Tip: Try for a room on the 2nd floor
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Franchise One Hotel, responded to this review, April 7, 2011
Dear TigerTownBob;

Thank you very much for your great comments about our little hotel. We took meticulous care in selecting the shower head which you said you liked. Also, whenever we get you a cab, did you notice that we take extra care in writing down the cabs plate number and name of cab company on a slip of paper which we hand to you? We do this so that if you leave anything in the cab, or if the cab driver treats you badly or takes you on a "ride" you have his number to investigate further.

We take these little things seriously for we understand that a happy guest is the best advertisement for us. And a Returning Guest is the secret of success of ANY business. Repeat business means we are doing something right and you said you have stayed with us three times before so in this we are elated to know you appreciate our service.

Kim and Faith at the front desk and Rod and Damper send their best regards. They do remember you when they read your review and are very glad you actually mention their names.

Cheers1
Makati, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2011

Awesome.Clean.Friendly staff.Homey.Nice bathroom.Nice ambiance.I love the No-Smoking policy.The place has no elevator but I was surprised that It didn't irritate me at all considering that we're on fifth floor.Must be the cool carpet and wide kind of stairs!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Franchise One Hotel, responded to this review, April 4, 2011
Dear "CrazyAnne;"

Many thanks for your glowing praise of our inn! First of all the steps were designed to be a really comfortable 3 inch rise per step which is called a "seniorita" step as it accommodates the frilly long gowns of Spanish ladies in the 18th century. You are the first ever to make a comment about how easy they are to climb. Wonderful that someone finally took notice!!

Whats more, we only have 28 rooms so it is very easy for us to detail each and every room to ensure each is truly perfectly ready for guests. We are not perfect though, and sometimes we do miss a detail or two but it is very trivial and only the sternest of guests are likely to complain about it.

Did you try our coffee shop? The food is entirely home made-- even our French Pastries and cakes are baked right on site. Why even our wholewheat and white bread are baked in our kitchen. So the humblest of sandwiches or continental breakfast is served with oversized slices of freshly baked bread. Please comment on that next time, would you please?

Cheers!

E
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

We stayed in the Franchise One Hotel Makati at the end of our trip to the Philippines & really just wanted somewhere to rest our heads for the night having flown in from Palawan, before we left the following morning back to the UK. For us the Franchise One Hotel was therefore perfect & for the money could not really fault it at all!

The rooms were large enough for a city hotel & although fairly basic, were kitted out well with a TV, great rainfall shower etc. The bed was also comfortable & the decor nice enough for the money. Just don't expect much of a view from the window, but you can't expect too much when you are staying in the centre of a city anyway so we couldn't fault that!

The staff were very polite & professional too, and when we had a problem with the shower drain getting blocked up (these things happen sometimes), the staff were up in less than 5 minutes sorting it out for us & were very apologetic.

We had planned to venture out to some of the malls in the Makati area & get some food, but unfortunately arrived in a storm, which in the time we had unpacked our bags, showered etc had flooded the streets by about 2-3 foot of water! We therefore decided it probably best not to wade our way through the streets as the locals were, so ended up eating in the small cafe in the ground floor of the hotel...

So the rain was actually a good thing as it meant that we got to sample the food on offer & it was very good. Good value for money too for a city & the staff were also very friendly.

Our only slight critcism was that we asked for a wake-up call that turned up half an hour late, but fortunately we had woken earlier naturally anyway so still had plenty of time to make our flight. We think there had been a breakdown in communication as the receptionist had left a note at the end of her shift to tell the person on the morning shift to wake us, but it seemed that this hadn't been read until later on - these things happen & I can't imagine this is a regular problem or others would have complained about it before!

The hotel were also very good at organising a taxi to the airport in the morning & the driver was honest & restored our faith in Manila taxi drivers after the one we had taken from the airport to the hotel the night before, who had tried to charge us double the going rate (200-300 pesos is the most you should expect to pay from memory!).

All in all we have absolutely no real complaints about the Franchise One & would definitely stay here again when back in Manila!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

Hello all. i stayed here for 4 nights and to be honest, there was nothing to complain about besides the occasional ants in the bathroom (didnt really bother me though). i read the bad reviews on this hotel and i don't know if i was just lucky or they expected too much. this hotel has everything u need.. a bed to sleep on, a bathroom to shower, aircondition-ing .. etc etc.

staff were great too. always smiling and very polite. i liked the uncle outside at night that opens the car door for me and greets me.. very nice man. he even chatted to my friend when he was outside smoking.
i especially liked the lady that works at the reception in the day. i didn't get a chance to ask her name because i forgot to and she was on her day off the day i left. HELLO ATE... this is mister kenny chua! hahahaha. thanks for everything and for making my stay awesome! i will be back and u must call me kenny instead of sir! :D

all in all, good hotel. come here if you dont wanna spend 200 dollars a night just to sleep.

COME HERE!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Franchise One Hotel, responded to this review, March 1, 2011
Thank you very much Mr. Chua for being so bold as to actually give your name and fully disclose your identity. Often times, bad reviewers do not give their true identities so it is difficult to remember how we made certain mistakes or rendered their claim of bad service.

What’s even more difficult to address is when someone claims to have stayed at a hotel but never did and writes a bad review. It has happened to us in the past that a visitor came to see a guest, and that visitor-- not the guest, wrote the bad review. Unlike a booking engine that receives both reservations AND accepts guest comments, since it is a booking engine, they have your booking details on file. Therefore if you write a review it is easy to determine that you indeed stayed at that hotel and the review is real. If you write a review in a booking engine website and your email does not check out , it simply is not posted. Very fair.

I suspect that many bad reviews are from disgruntled guests who are simply over demanding of life in general and feel that whenever they spend money, they are entitled to voicing whatever minor imperfections may exist in the product in a manner that is not befitting the pettiness of the item being complained about.

In your case, you are helping by giving your true identity so the compliment is guaranteed real and not "manufactured" by us asking someone to write a good review. Thank you very very much!
Makati
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

I stayed there with my wife to celebrate our 10 year wedding anniversary the day of November 16-17,2010. We were in room 4070. This was our first time to stay there yet the stay was horrible and one headache after another. I checked in early on the 16th and paid cash for the room. I was trying to sleep during the day time yet at around 11am there was a pounding of a hammer that went on for some time. I called the main office to complain and they said they would look in to it. The front desk kept telling me that it was from construction across the street and I told them it was from within the building. It kept up for about an hour and finally stopped. Yet it woke me up out of a deep sleep. I was so upset. I woke up again in the evening and wanted to place an order for the hotel restaurant and called to the restaurant only to find out they close at 11PM.

I was going to order out for food and then as I looked at their brochure in the room it states that food deliveries from outside restaurants will be charged a service fee. It also went on to say the hotel restaurant will not provide utensils for outside food delivered to the hotel room. There is a charge for utensils if you order outside food. The hotel restaurant closes at 11pm and that is ridiculous for a hotel restaurant to close at night. Yes they say they provide some food after 11pm but only pastries and juice and that’s it. So what I did was walk out and order my food from the local Pizza Hut and then bring it all the way back in to the hotel. I had trouble with the air conditioning unit not working properly but had given up trying to call the front desk for help since they did not really help me with the hammering during the daytime. The remote didn’t work properly it was either too hot or too cold.

At about 9:30pm there was a knock at the front door to my room. I looked in the peephole and saw a man in a dark hooded jacket. I called the front desk and asked them to investigate. I did not know him and I was not expecting anyone at all. Well after 20 minutes a guard did come to my room and by then the hooded stranger was long gone. The guard told me maybe he was going to another room. The guard went on to tell me they only have security cameras at the 2nd and 3rd floor not on the 4th floor where I was staying at. I was shocked and scared when he told me that because if something terrible had happened to me there would be no security camera on my floor to document anything that may have happened.

Another factor for the room I stayed in is they have only a 18 inch television and the bed is placed about 18 feet from the TV so one really cant even watch the television properly because it is too far away. Matter of fact because it is so far away one has to really hold the remote high up and be in direct line to the TV to change channels, volume etc. The distance from the bed to the TV is so far that the remote cant send the signal that far from the bed to the TV.

At 4:00AM I called the front desk to ask for a wakeup call at 11:00AM and I spoke to Elaine. I told her my room number was 4070 and the wakeup call was for 11:00am. She said “ok room 5070” and I stopped her and corrected her and said “no 4070” she stopped for a moment and said Ok what room number? Again I said 4070. She said OK. She was not listening to me at all and I thought she got the right room number. Well by 11:00AM there was not wakeup call at all.

The room phone rang at 1145AM from the front desk, Mina calling to ask if I would extend my stay. I said no way! I had overslept because Elaine did not put down the right information for my wakeup call. I got my belongings and went to the front desk and spoke to mina who had checked me in the day before. I told Mina all of my problems and she said “Oh yes the hammering yesterday was here putting up Christmas decorations” and I told her bluntly that it woke me up out of a deep sleep and kept me awake for some time. She only said Sorry. I told her it was too late.

I told her about the man knocking at my door at night and also the problem with the restaurant not being open 24 hours and also the service charge for outside food deliveries. She only said sorry. I then asked her if the hotel was accredited by DOT she said yes and I said I do not see the certificate anywhere at all. She said it was in the back office and would go get it. I said “don’t mind I am late for my appointment kasi I was to have a wakeup call at 11:00AM”. Mina checked the log book and saw tat Elaine had listed 11AM for a wakeup call but for room 5070!!! Elaine had still put down the wrong information even after I told her three times the room number of 4070. I told Mina because of the late wakeup call I was now late for my appointment. All she said was sorry and I told her I plan to stay here again and expect either a free room or a big discount for their poor service?

Be wary now more than ever now since across the street from Franchise One there is construction on going for I believe another hotel so if your room faces Fernando street you will have a lot of noise to keep you awake night and day. Let alone the employees hammering away in the hotel itself. If you are I the area it is best to go down the street to Eurotel and that will take care of all of the problems. One other important point is they have no elevator so be prepared to walk up to your room. Which I find frustrating that with a hotel that has five floors you would think they would at least have an elevator. In this day and age where every building is handicap accessible Franchise One is behind the time on that. I believe there are laws in the Philippines that pertain to PWD (Persons with disabilities) but I cant figure out how with all three hotels they have in Makati that none are required to follow the law on having their hotels accessible for PWD? I do wonder what happens for a wheelchair bound guest? I presume they would go to another hotel. I am sure management would not care at all if that happens.

The hotel will also provide you with a comment form about your stay there and they proudly mention the Trip Advisor site. But no worries there when I filled out the form I did not get even a call back at all or email. Even when I spoke to Mina she stated I would get a follow up call or email and no one from the hotel bothered to contact me at all via text, email or phone call. I kept asking Mina who is the owner and who is the duty manager and all she said is it is a corporate owned hotel and there is no duty manager. This is very strange as if they are all hiding. As it turns out I did complain to the Department of Tourism about their accreditation and the poor and unsafe service and lo and behold they are not accredited at all! I guess even DOT won’t allow them accreditation and it seems there are many legal reasons why they won’t get accreditation. DOT could not help me with my complaint so they passed along my complaint to Makati City Hall and yet to this day no reply at all from city hall.

What amazes me and angers me with this hotel is they have only limited security cameras on some floors. The restaurant closes at 11PM which is crazy for any hotel to close its restaurant at night. Yet if a guest orders out for food delivery they are charged a penalty for such a delivery. Their employees don’t seem to know how to do the job at all. It cost me a very important appointment that day. I am still asking for a free room for my next stay or a refund on my stay there. Overall their service is a security risk to the public staying there. I did give my email address and cell phone number yet there has never been any call back or follow up at all! Overall poor service from start to finish. I would say avoid all three of their hotels for your own peace of mind and safety. What I find interesting in the other reviews is management just says sorry and takes no action to make it up to the guests. I also find it strange that management, whoever they are, is pretty well hidden from the public. There is no record of any contact names for managers for all three of their hotels. I am sure management may say they are not a five star hotel and this is their level of service but they don’t even rate a 1 star with their hotel. I waited before posting this review for a reply but there has been none at all in the last two months.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Franchise One Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2011
Dear “pinoystyle2006”

To address your complaints one by one:

1) Yes we were putting up Christmas décor and in fact waited till 11:00AM when most if not all guests are usually up, out and about by this time.

2) Yes there is construction going on across the street which starts at 8:00AM and ends by 8:00PM. (they are scheduled to complete heavy concreting by June 2011 so any further noise shall no longer be heard by then).

3) However, ALL our windows are double glazed precisely to block out city noise. Yours is our first complain about being bothered by construction noise-- furthermore it was ascertained that the hammering came from our own premises and NOT from the construction.

4) We do not have an elevator as Philippine building code does not require one for buildings less than 15 meters in height. Zoning for our area does not allow building higher than 14 meters so we are in compliance with the codes. There are handicapped ramps and widened entrances to common areas to accommodate PWD (persons with disabilities—or specifically wheelchair bound persons) who are limited access to the ground floor only as per building code.

5) Yes, our restaurant closes at 11:00PM and yes we only serve quick items such as pastries, sandwiches, instant noodles, beer and wine, or other beverages up until 5:00AM. Full service begins thereafter.

6) Yes we do charge US$1.00 for any outside delivery service of food direct to your room to cover additional clean up, not to mention inconvenience to other guests caused by an outsider delivery man walking through our property. We are not too sure, but It is possible that the “hooded stranger” at you door may have been a delivery man for food who knocked at the wrong door. Try ordering food from third parties at any 3 or 5 star hotel and see what they charge, or if they will even allow deliveries to come up to your room. Or, try hand carrying a pizza through their main entrance and see if it won’t be confiscated outright.

7) Yes, we do not lend eating utensils for guests ordering third party food—please think about the incredulity of this request—eat other businesses food but borrow house utensils which must be handled by our crew-- re-washed after use, inventoried, and put away. Not to mention that often times “borrowed” utensils are simply not returned or glasses broken. Breakage and losses of utensils are offset against In-house Income, third party food is a loss of revenue which is bad enough, but impossible to offset costs against third party food service—even with the token $1.00 service charge.

8) You failed to mention our security gate which must be buzzed by anyone wishing to enter the floors above. The electronic lock – buzzer must be released by our front desk staff thus ensuring that our front desk sees each and every person entering into; or exiting from; the floors above. Therefore, that “hooded” stranger at you door was screened by our front desk and was permitted access to the floors above. It stands to reason that the stranger merely mistakenly knocked on your door and was not an intruder to the property.

9) No; we are not accredited with DOT(Department of Tourism) —our sister hotel is. Mina has worked for all our inns so she may have simply answered out of habit—if indeed the conversation you outline did even in fact transpire as you remember it.

10) Mina is the Manager for the hotel so you were in direct contact with management at all times. Alaine is under her direct supervision.

11) The mistaken wake up call, the hammering at 11:00AM, was correctly attended to by the correct Management representative – Mina – Operations Manager, who likewise forwards ALL comments and suggestions to the Board of Directors of the Corporation. The Corporate Officers / Owners cannot and do not attend to each and every minor complaint that is adequately addressed by Operations Managers.

12) There is no reason for owners to “hide” from irate guests as you insinuate. The Board does in fact act upon valid suggestions from customers – for example, the limited cameras you mentioned is indeed an item that merits immediate attention so thank you for this suggestion. Yes additional cameras will be installed on the 4th floor. We learn by your suggestions and we do take note of those that are mere irritations caused by human error that do not require policy restructure nor the direct intervention or communication between owners and guests.

13) We are not sure which of your complaints merited reporting to the DOT(Department of Tourism) —the fact that there are limited security cameras or lack of elevator is not a valid complaint that DOT would entertain, even if we were accredited which as I mentioned we are not . As far as Makati City Engineering is concerned, we have complied with ordinances so perhaps your complaint did not require corrective action.

Thank you for your comments. Please know that we do indeed act upon suggestions that are fixable and have in fact made a number of improvements based on customer complaints.
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2011

After arriving in Manila, I stayed across the road in the sister "Saint Illians Inn" for one night to recover from my 27 hour travel hell. Then I went on my travels and stayed in various other hotels, some good, some ok , only one was great. Coming back to Manila, I stayed here after St Illians Inn was fully booked and I was pleasantly surprised with the standard. It may lack a bit of the charm of St Illians but it is very clean, quite well equipped and has a feeling of safety that is missing in some other hotels in Manila. It may feel a bit sterile and lack atmosphere but I was always greeted with fabulous smiles and eager help. I would always be happy to stay there when I am in the capital..

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Franchise One Hotel, responded to this review, January 24, 2011
Dear "garyboyce"

Once again many, many thanks for your praises... for both our inns. Hope to see you again in the very near future. Cheers!