“Home away from home. Consistently great hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

The Clipper Hotel
5766 Ebro St. (corner Kalayaan Ave) | Poblacion, Makati, Luzon, Philippines   |
Ranked #4 of 35 Specialty Lodging in Makati
Sydney, Australia
“Home away from home. Consistently great hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

This was my 2nd time at the Clipper, still a great place. Very good customer service and attentive staff. They regularly check if you're enjoying your stay and if you need anything. The owner Sir Jon is also very personable and shares plenty of good travel tips. Its the customer service that attracted me back here.
I stayed in the Deluxe Room on the 3rd floor this time. I've tried all the rooms, and Deluxe was well worth it. You get a proper double bed (instead of 2 singles pushed together), kettle and cups, and a small refrigerator. Very clean, comfortable, spacious, and safe. Good location in Makati Manila, commercial and tourist area. Plenty of restaurants, bars, shopping malls, and markets near by. Free WiFi internet and desktop computer in the lobby. Even though its a hotel, the place feels like a home away from home.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good value for money, just depends on how big you want.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Tel Aviv District, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

We started our amazing trip in this wonderful hotel. The owner of the hotel, Mr jon, take care of us right from the beginning and spend the first evening with us and gives us the most important tips of traveling in the philippines! During our stay in the south, i had a back problem and should come back for hospital for MRI. I contact with jon by Email and he arranged everything perfectly and help me so much! Like a family! Give yourself the best lending and travel starting in this place! The team is kind and lovely and the rooms are clean and homy. Thanks a lot for everything!!!

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Bogotá
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

First up, I cannot believe how cheap this place is. I paid triple the price the week before in Hong Kong. So it was a gamble for me coming to The Clipper but I too read the reviews on here beforehand.

Very nice building, actually whilst I was in Manila I didn't see any hotel with more character. The aviation theme is quirky and cute too. I arrived, was quickly and courteously checked in to my room, it was large and spotless. What more could one ask for.

I didn't try the breakfast, but the laundry service was good and economical.

Most of all a hat tip to the wonderful and friendly staff. It was simply a lovely place to be.

It was my first visit to Manila and I had no idea at all about the geography, as others point out, it is really in the thick of the action but I didn't notice any street noise. It is also an easy and nice walk to Ayala Center with its malls and eateries.

Thanks The Clipper Hotel. I look forward to coming back one day

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

I have sent people to stay at this boutique hotel many times. Jon and his staff go out of their way to help any traveler out. The rooms are very clean, and everything works! Why pay for an expensive hotel nearby when for under 2,500 pesos you will get a very large room. Smaller rooms run for 1300 pesos.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

Booked thr Clipper on the recommendation of two different friends as well as Trip Advisor reviews and was not disappointed. Clean spacious room with aircon and fan. Comfy bed and good shower. Would have liked to have had a fridge but for this price what you get is good value. Only downside was street noise and ligh coming through the window blinds in room 203.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Kooralbyn, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

I have stayed in many hotels in Manila and so far, with regard to value for money, The Clipper is the front runner. I booked a deluxe room. The room and the bathroom were large. The facilities in the room were more than I expected. The WiFi signal in the room was strong. Before I booked in I noted that other reviewers had problems with the outside noise. I had no such problem and was not disturbed at all, so this must depend on the particular room. I did not try or see the breakfast, but the small restaurant and the public area are pleasant.
All the staff were excellent, but Sarah on the front desk deserve particular mention. I will continue to try other hotels, but I suspect I will keep coming back to this one at regular intervals

Room Tip: The deluxe room on the third floor at the front (Kalaayan Ave side) of the hotel had all the goods
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

I booked the clipper for over a week because it was cheap and in Makati. I was pleasantly surprised with how nice the Clipper is. Its nice clean hotel, close to everything. Free wireless internet and also a Desktop computer in the lobby. There are big and small shopping malls close by. Its next to Burgos street, the commercial street with plenty of bars, massage parlors, restaurants and nightlife. There was also Baga BBQ night market with live bands and market stores a block away. The biggest factor for me and other guests at the time is the customer service. The Clipper is very focused on guests having a safe and happy experience. A guest from the UK went to Angeles city for 3 days, so the Clipper staff called to make sure he was ok as they were worried about him. Jon the owner is very nice and helped me re-book my itinerary when my original plans fell apart. I also got screwed over by a travelers condo group I had booked and paid for earlier. The Clipper help me get a full refund, and of course I stayed at the Clipper another week. There isn't much else to do in Manila than shopping and nightlife, so the Clipper is perfectly positioned. I'll definitely use the Clipper again when I'm in Manila.

Room Tip: I used both the budget cabin and superior rooms, both were fine. Superior was good just to have bit...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
TheClipperHotel, Guest Relations Manager at The Clipper Hotel, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dear Mr. B.

Mabuhay!

Thank you very much for your positive comments. We are a budget hotel but we strive to give our guests the best possible experience.

We hope to welcome you again on your next visit to manila.

Been to The Clipper Hotel? Share your experiences!