“Comfortable and Accessible” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Celeste

Save Saved
You added Hotel Celeste to your Saves list
Hotel Celeste
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   02 San Lorenzo Drive corner A. Arnaiz Avenue | San Lorenzo Village, Makati, Luzon 1223, Philippines   |
Ranked #6 of 64 hotels in Makati
Manila, Philippines
“Comfortable and Accessible”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

If your business in in the Central Business District of Makati and you feel the need to shop, dine and get after work drinks, then this Hotel may be your best bet. It's not as expensive as the big hotels in Makati but the rooms are very nice, comfy bed and is very accessible to Makati's best shops and restaurants. Breakfast options have improved to my satisfaction. The staff are very accommodating and courteous. You can ask for directions anytime.
Oh and have I mentioned their toiletries include L'Occitane shampoo, conditioner and body wash?

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

149 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

The hotel was located right in the heart of Makati with walking distance to major shops and public transpo was right by your doorstep. It was located in a very safe neighbourhood that even walking at night you could see guards all over the area.
The staff was extremely helpful and pleasant and easy to talk to. I could not think of anyone who did not have a ready smile to make the stay more enjoyable. There was a wide selection of breakfast from western to Filipino fare, but we stuck with the Filipino flare which was well presented and appealing to the palette. Servers were always ready for anything that you needed. One breakfast did not have the Danish croissant but he made sure that we had it as soon as it came out of the oven.
Room was clean, modern and nice hardwood floors, bathroom was clean. Thou our room was right at the corner of a busy street, we did not hear any noise from the outside.
We availed of the airport shuttle to the airport which was a nice treat being very new, clean and a driver who was pleasant to talk to. To top it all, there were free foot massages, perfect after a long day of walking.
Overall I would go back to this hotel for everything that is worth it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
El Segundo, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I had a very disappointing stay here. I think sometimes the herd mentality takes over on social media sites, and we have people loving a place just because others loved it. I did not love this hotel.

Perhaps the problem was that I needed to get some work done. That was never possible because (1) the wireless was down or barely functional for my entire stay; and (2) the room lighting was terrible. Even in the daytime, and with fairly large windows, the room the room was semi dark. The lights were dim and could not be turned up or adjusted. You would think the GM could do something about this unless this “mood lighting” is intentional. In sum, if you have business needs, do not stay here. The in-room needs of a business traveler are simply not met (bad Internet, poor lighting, no iron in room; no real business center that I could see, etc.). Bottom line, I should have paid the extra $30 per night and stayed around the corner.

So, why all the buzz here? The location is unquestionably good. The hotel is a 5-10 minutes easy walk from Raffles, Dusit Thani, SM Mall, Greenbelt, etc. The room also has a pseudo chic feel to it, with wooden finishes and a hardwood floor, which may appeal to some. The staff are very friendly, and if you are someone who gets excited about a welcome iced tea, then they have that too (the check in staff did not mention a free foot massage to me, though I did overhear the lady next to me being told of this service).

Onto specifics, the bed was large, though it was actually two singles attached to each other with some sort of connector in the middle. The bathroom was tiny. When sitting on the toilet, I needed to open up the shower door as the two are right on top of each other. As an aside, I am not a huge person.

Plusses: location, nice staff, decent electrical outlet coverage in room

Minuses: terrible lighting, street noise (room just above intersection and only 4 floor hotel), thin walls, horrid web connectivity, mini bathroom, no in room iron, no gym and pool (though I knew this before)

Verdict: 2 stars given price of $130 per night (with tax and fees). The hotel just wasn't a good value for me. I could see why some would give it slightly more if they basically wanted to shop and be around Makati, and used the room just as a base. But for me, 2 stars. I hit the breaking point on day two when the web still failed to work and I needed to contact the airline.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
triciasarabia, General Manager at Hotel Celeste, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear WhiskyDoc,

Thank you for your review of our stay with us. I would like to sincerely apologise for your unfortunate experience. Rest assured that all your concerns are well noted and we will provide additional facilities to improve our offerings for business travellers like you. We already purchased reading lights and upgraded our routers for stable and high speed internet. We do provide iron and iron board upon request but I shall look into that as well as we might need to purchase more. Once again, I apologise for the inconvenience that we've caused you during your last visit but I do hope you would give us a chance to make it up to you when you decide to come back.

All the best,
Tricia Sarabia
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Good hotel in the heart of Makati with only 5 mins walk to GB. On a busy corner but noise and light were not a problem. Staff very attentative with the room made up each day. Free massages available each day.
The breakfast was great in my opinion with options between western and Filipino breakfast (try the beef tapa !!).
Had dinner in the restaurant one night and was not disappointed although it is slightly more pricey than expected. There's a huge selection of meals.
Surprised there is no bar and this would be a welcome inclusion although the Greenbelt nightlife is only 5 mins away.
Had a late flight and was able to store the bags until 6pm which was nice.
Will be back again for New Year.

Room Tip: I had room 204 which had no noise issues.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Hotel Celeste was an amazing discovery. The hotel is super modern, super clean, comfortable and staff amazingly helpful. IIt is a small hotel (which I prefer much better than the huge chains), and they will remember your name, which make you fill at home. The rooms are beautiful. Bathroom is perfect. The location is great, as it is very centric, but quite, and tow minutes walking distance from the very nice and convenient Glorieta with lots of shops, bars and restaurant. Also the staff helped me in anything they could. I hired a private car with the hotel, and I was very lucky to be driven by Mr. Tating. He is great experinced driver, very nice, wellcoming and with great knowledge of the city and business. If you stay at Celeste, ask them to hire him. If finally you are not staying in Celeste, but you want a very good driver, contact him (0918 - 7247630). I extermely recommend the hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Woodford Green, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Stayed here for 2 weeks in May 2013. Let me start with the positives. The staff at this hotel were the best I had ever come across in my extensive travels. Nothing was too much trouble for them from reception right thru to room cleaners. On my first night the air conditioning was leaking within 5 mins of me telling reception an engineer was there to fix it sadly this repair only lasted a few hours so they moved me to another room and had it not been for the fact that they had a wedding party they would have upgraded me.

The hotel is well situated for the shopping mails which were 5 mins walk away and security is such outside that I always felt safe.

The bedroom was really large with a huge double bed flat screen tv with lots of channels and a good sized bathroom but alas only with a rain shower and no tub as I was expecting.

Now to the negatives. Breakfast buffet was poor only 2 choices of fruit juice and breakfast was very limited but if a cooked breakfast was wanted then once again nothing was too much trouble for the waiters who all addressed me as Mr every time they saw me.

On the second night there the resteraunt was closed for refurbishment but tips lasted for the remaining 12 days of my stay and there was no room service available as the kitchen was closed.

Also the roof terrace was closed which was a real shame as there were great views and it would have been good to have had a drink up there.

All in all this hotel was excellent value for money and I have stayed in many 5 stars that didn't compare. Would have given this a 5 rating had it not been for the few negatives.

Room Tip: Had room on the corner and it was really quiet apart from the occasionalpolicemans whistle on traffi...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Darwin, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Hotel Celeste is in very close walking distance to all the shopping malls in Makati. The rooms are well appointed and very clean. It is located on on busy intersection but the traffic noise didn't disturb us during our sleep. Overall, this is a good option for the location and price offered. The hotel was very accommodating in letting us check in early in the morning too and we were very grateful for that.

Unfortunately we did not receive our free welcome drink or massage during our stay and it wasn't ever offered. Also the turn down service was only ever done 1 night out of our 4 night stay. The breakfast is quite limited but sufficient for a few days. It is a menu that includes Filipino and western type dishes so if you are expecting a full buffet, you will be disappointed. There is also no pool at this hotel if you enjoy swimming.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay, the staff were extremely helpful, the location and price is just right.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Celeste? Share your experiences!