“very comfortable” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ascott Makati

Save Saved
You added Ascott Makati to your Saves list
Ascott Makati
4.5 of 5 Apartment Hotel   |   Glorietta 4, Ayala Centre, Makati, Luzon 1224, Philippines   |
Ranked #17 of 66 hotels in Makati
Basel, Switzerland
“very comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

in Makati ofr a while??

...saty here, very comfortable, affordable and friendly staff.
nice pool, not expensive restaurant and bar.
reccomanded.
the hotel has good faciliites, is quiet and relaxing, good for work.

good trips arranged from reception,
waterfalls one especially!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

351 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Korean first
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

This hotel provides well designed spacious rooms and apartments for business and family travellers. It is centrally located in Glorietta mall in downtown Makati - close to thousands of shops and restaurants. The Hotel has great rooms and a very good pool and courtyard. The Gym is good and the service is entirely satisfactory. The Cafe on 6 does a pretty good breakfast and good room service, As a restaurant Cafe 6 is otherwise below par but there are literally hundreds of good restaurants within 10 minutes walk of the Ascott. This hotel does not match the opulence and grandeur of the Shangri-La or Peninsula but it is every bit as comfortable and on the whole better value for money.

Room Tip: The Studio rooms are spacious and very comfortable for 2 people.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Excellent location for business. Central location for shopping- multiple choice of malls at the doorstep. Many entertainment and dining options within easy walking distance. Also well located for the Airport. Efficient and helpful service. Good breakfast buffet. Reasonably priced for the standard of accommodation offered.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We have stayed in the 2 bedroom deluxe last July 27 to 31 @ Unit 1625 for a 5 day business trip. I stayed in this property before when it was still Oakwood back in 2005 when it was still considered one of the newer properties in Makati. Fast forward 8 years, and now under Ascott, its still OK but not the best anymore. The rooms we stayed was huge, but the living area seemed to be smaller compared to the other unit my colleague stayed in (Unit 1729).

Breakfast was something to look forward too as the selection is few but the taste was GREAT. They serve eggs benedict during breakfast (which i haven't experienced in Starwood properties where I usually stay). The bacon was the best part for me though ;) as well as the fresh sweet ripe mangoes.

The best part was the LOCATION. Very convenient as Ascott is directly in Glorietta mall. The next building is SM which is helpful if you need to buy something and you don't know where to start. Taxi stand is also just right in front of SM but did not experience getting one there as we had transport during our stay.

Rooms are the only downside as they are starting to show their age. I hope they do some renovation soon. Also, WIFI was a bit unreliable and you have to log in again to get connection which was something I find annoying, but the speed was generally acceptable ( i mean for PH standard).

Overall, it was a great stat and actually feel like coming back this time for leisure.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms facing Glorietta 5/ Intercon area. I got a room facing the old Rustan's building...
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

We spent four nights in Manila and, despite hesitating due to some critical reviews, decided on the Ascott Makati. I am very glad we did!. Although we were unable to get a 3 bedroom suite, and had to settle for two bedrooms and an extra bed, the suite was big and very comfortable for all of us.
The bedrooms are large, the living and dining room were large and confortable too. My only complaint would be that the WIFI only allowed two connections (so we had to pay for another two) and that it required us to login repeatedly.
The front desk was very helpful and helped us find out where to go and see a basketball game which we really enjoyed.
The location, close to the shopping malls, was very practical and if ever we wanted to go further away there is a taxi line just meters away from the front door.
We will return here next time we're in Manila.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

I have reviewed this hotel before and I did say its standards were slipping, well they have slipped and it is now at rock bottom.
Initially I had a one week stay in late July followed by 2 weeks stay in late August. I have been staying here for 8 yrs.
The airport transfer for the July trip needed a large car / van to carry equipment and I personally reserved it with the transport section by phone.
A few days before my July trip I received an email ref. My August trip the lady sending it bluntly told me that in August they were unable to guarantee non smoking room or king sized bed
I wrote back and said they already had – she responded saying well that was then and as I had enough time I could find another hotel!
I was shocked and telephoned and asked for the reservations manager – he gave the usual excuse- “she is new”.
He then asked how he could make it right and I asked him what he was proposing and he said he had no idea but “if you want airport transfer we can arrange”. I told him that I already reserved it – he said there was no trace of a pickup.
Eventually he said he would pay for it (that was when it finally got booked).
So eventually we arrive – the van is ancient and falling apart and looks like it last carried coal not people !
We arrive at hotel – they are on the surface full of apologies a lady called Susan comes out to apologise, but I am still left standing around for almost 30 mins “as your room isn’t ready - we are checking that all is perfect and there is nothing going on”
I get to room and they make a big song and dance that they upgraded me to a 2 bedroom unit – pointless really as there is only me.
So I go out to a meeting and return 2 hrs later – as I get out of lift the overpowering smell of paint and thinners is horrible, but not as horrible as it is in my room.
I call to the front desk and their response is that its not possible as there is no work going on, but they will send a housekeeper – to smell!!
At this point I have to leave room as I couldn’t breathe and as I do I see the room next door has 5 plus people in it and 20 cans of paint and bottles of chemical inside the door. They see me and slam the door and won’t open it.
I went to the lobby and asked for a manager – again I got Susan – she looked somewhat incredulous but declined my offer to go and smell the fumes.
I was kept waiting 30+ minutes while they found a room in the other tower. This required Susan and the housekeeping manager. Before leaving earlier I had unpacked and ironed shirts and pants for work early next day.
I had to ask for help to move as none was offered or forthcoming. Again they made great play that I had a pointless 2 bed roomed unit.
The rooms look old and very tired the furniture is chipped and scarred, the bathrooms look grubby and tired, fittings are hanging off the walls and the shower curtains are mildewed and filthy. The easy chairs have horrible stains on them and look uninviting. The kitchen is generally uncared for and everything feels greasy
The internet is spotty and the telephone reception non-existent. The wireless refuses to let you sign on due to expired security certificates.
The public areas look tired and dilapidated and without exception the chairs are stained and old.
The Cafe on the 6th has been modernised and its OK – at best.
The only bright spot is that Ma’am France has been promoted to supervisor and runs a tight ship. The food standards have however dipped alarmingly.
The pool area is dirty and the pool had all sorts of hair balls and debris in it
So I endure the stay and arrange another hotel for August . On the end of day 2 I find a letter in my room apologising and inviting me for a free massage at the spa. I attempted to take this up on evening 3. Only to find the voucher given expired in MARCH 2013. The lady behind counter bluntly told me sorry no voucher no massage. Susan who sent it – was out. Only the intervention of another staff member rescued it. The massage was mediocre at best.
On evening one I asked about a van for the outbound flight and it was confirmed.
Except on checkout my colleague was told we had no reservation. We eventually got and paid for a van. On my bill they attempted to charge me for the promised complimentary inbound trip.
Then we were taken to Basement 3 and a tiny Nissan appeared – Mr Slick from transport assured us this would be ok – ignoring that I had paid a premium for a van.
With much bad grace and rolling of eyes he eventually found the wreck that had brought us in.
All in this entire trip is the straw that broke the camel’s back. I won’t be back. I used the time to look at some other hotels and inspected rooms. What a shame that what was once a nice hotel is now a shadow of what it was

Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Staying here for five days, I had nothing but smiles and happy greetings everyday! From breakfast to dinner, the staff was always attentive to my little needs. Needless to say, they were responsive and very helpful when I needed additional items during my stay. What made the stay comfortable was the bed! But the pillows were never the right size - some too hands while others were too soft. The tv reception quality for cable was good but inconsistent. Nonetheless the size of my o e room apartment was a treat as the space awesome! Running a seminar was effortless as the staff were helpful and responsive. Breakfast spread was a treaty!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Been to Ascott Makati? Share your experiences!