“Beautiful place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of 10 Fitch Luxurious Romantic Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Auburn
10 Fitch Luxurious Romantic Inn
You added 10 Fitch Luxurious Romantic Inn to your Saves list
10 Fitch Avenue, Auburn, NY 13021   |
Ranked #1 of 7 Auburn B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Rochester, New York
“Beautiful place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

When I came up to 10 Fitch, it was in the middle of a residential neighborhood, and I have to confess I had some doubts. However, when I checked in and toured the grounds, I was pleasantly suprised. There was a charming garden with a pond and a gazebo. The room (Equestarian Suite) was spacious and beautifully decorated.
The best part was the great service and personal attention. The breakfast was amazing. The picnic dinner we actually had in the gazebo in the garden, and this was the most romantic thing ever. Definitely recommend this place for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Columbia, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

10 Fitch is one of the most beautiful and comfortable places my wife and I have stayed. The inn and its grounds are beautiful, the accommodations are large and luxurious, and the bed in the English Suite deserves a couple sentences of its own. The king bed in the English Suite was as comfortable as any bed from a Sofitel or other luxury hotels we’ve stayed at. While staying at 10 Fitch we slept as comfortably as we do at home.

Breakfast was always delicious and more than sufficient to fuel us for the days we spent hiking in the beautiful Cayuga and Seneca Lake areas. The rooms were always stocked with snacks and drinks and I was impressed with both the variety and quantity available in the room as well as the tea and K-Cup options always available in the common areas downstairs.

My wife, who suffers from celiac disease (allergy to wheat/gluten) was able to enjoy Gluten Free versions of everything I ate and they were terrific at making Gluten Free breakfast taste delicious. I could not really tell the difference between my food and her GF versions.

Sally and Cheryl were the perfect hosts, they made sure we had everything we needed and made us feel at home during the entire stay. All of the small touches and attention to every detail provided a truly pampering experience. If you are looking for the perfect gateway I recommend 10 Fitch, you won’t be disappointed. We can't wait for the opportunity to go back !!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Owner at 10 Fitch Luxurious Romantic Inn, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
Paul & Amanda, thank you so much for your kind and generous review! We so appreciate you taking the time to write it and share your experience with other travelers who might be considering a stay. Even more than that I am so happy that the two of you enjoyed your stay here and plan to come back in the future. We look forward to having you with us again. Hopefully I (Cheryl) will actually be here to meet you then. You mentioned me in your review and said I was a perfect host along with my mom Sally but it's actually Trish who was here with mom spoiling you in my absence since my husband Rodney & I were on a vacation in the Bahamas.

BTW, please let Amanda know that when you do come back I have found a wonderful gluten free chocolate chip cookie that we can offer her in place of moms :)

Thanks for staying with us! Hope the two of you enjoy your summer and thanks again for the review!

Warm regards,

Cheryl
Ithaca, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

My husband and I celebrated our 15 year wedding anniversary at 10 Fitch. We were happily surprised at the level of details at the Inn. From the fresh chocolate chip cookies to the amenities in the room to the fabulous breakfast served. We cannot wait to return!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Chittenango, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

My husband and I had a wonderful time, everybody made us feel very welcome. The Inn is beautiful and the people there are very accomadating. The breakfast was wonderful, we loved it.

Room Tip: There are only 3 suites, so I really don't think that it matters.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Verona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

We are a group of three couples, mid-30's, all professionals and parents of young children. Three years ago, after all of our children were young enough for overnight stays with Grandparents, we started a get away weekend trip each Summer. It is something we look forward to all year and keeps us in touch with good friends (we all live in separate cities) and gives us some much needed couple and adult time together. Each couple takes a turn researching, selecting a booking the trip each year. Our goals are to relax, unwind, enjoy fine cuisine & wine and have some fun.

My husband and I were in charge of booking the trip for last Summer (2011). After much research and deliberation we chose the finger lakes as our destination. We had visited the area previously and fell in love with the scenery, wineries and great people. The travel time ranged from 3-5 hours for each couple to Auburn, New York.

10 Fitch advertised on their website a package called "perfect vacation for friends". It explicitly suggests this is for 2-3 couples travelling together. They also have several other small group packages they advertise. We thought this Inn would be perfect for us.

The visit to 10 Fitch started off really well. The grounds and Inn at 10 Fitch were beautiful. The Inn owner was initially friendly and inviting. They had a beautiful patio on which we greeted each other with cold drinks. We made our way to dinner downtown Auburn. We enjoyed a fabulous dinner that was extremely well priced at Moro's Table. We highly recommend it.

The beds and sheets at 10 Fitch are very good quality and make for a comfortable sleep.

The problems began the next day when a member of our group inadvertantly broke a foam lawn ornament that they had picked up to take a closer look at. It was a mistake. The owner was approached, an apology was made and an offer to pay for replacement costs was made (which was accepted by the owner). Despite this, without getting into too many details, the tone of the owners changed after this incident, despite it being a mistake and an apology and payment made. We were treated like scolded children, the atmosphere was cold and tense and we no longer felt welcome. The inadvertantly broken item was placed at the front entrance on a chair on display so that every time we walked down the stair case to common areas or in or out of the inn it was their to remind us of the how angry they were. We felt it was very poor etiquette and very demeaning to us as guests. It could have been handled much better. We are well mannered, reasonable people and this treatment was not justified. Just as one example, I had even brought some local peaches to the Innkeeper as a gesture of kindness.

Lucky for us, we are not the kind to sit idle so we did not spend a lot of time at the Inn. We had booked a winery tour in a limo. We had a great lunch on a patio at one of the winery's. Americana was hands down our favourite winery. It was a great day overall. Very relaxing day, interesting and great wine.

We were happy enough with the transportation company that provided limo service, Finger Lakes Winery Tours. They even sent us a Christmas card four months following our excursion.

The second issue occured the same evening:

It was stateed that the Inn owners have separate quarters. This was important to us as we wanted to feel free to sit in the common areas and socialize as friends without feeling like having to make small talk or not share inside jokes etc. We wanted to have privacy and our own space. We picked this Inn as it only had three suites and therefore we would not be sharing the common space with other couples etc.

At 7:30 in the evening we were preparing for a nice dinner out in our rooms, one room was playing music though a small ipod Doc at a moderate- loud volume but definitely not blaring. The door to the room was open to the hall as we were all socializing back and forth between the rooms. The music was also not offensive in any way. In fact, I am pretty sure it was Carly Simon. The female Innkeeper came down in her bathrobe from her quarters that were unknown to us, directly above us, and her facial expression said it all. She was beyond annoyed with us and demanded the music be turned down so they could enjoy their evening and pointed out that they lived directly above our rooms. This certainly does not qualify as separate quarters. The interaction was awkward and embarrassing. It was like we were teenagers being told off by our disappointed and angry Mother. Because we are decent people, this really bothered us. We were made to feel as if we interupted them and we did something wrong. I reinforce again, that it was 7:30 in the evening. We certainly aren't heavy partiers but we do like to enjoy ourselves, have a few drinks and have a good time.

Following the confrontation, we just left earlier than planned for our dinner reservation, since we felt we could not even laugh out loud following that without causing a stir. We tried to forget about it and the marvelous dinner we enjoyed in the dining room at Mirbeau in Skaneateles, just down the road. Highly recommended dining experience.

10 Fitch is a lovely property and Inn with nice amenities and great location. It is only about a 15 walk to downtown. Unfortunately, we will not return to this Inn as a group or as a couple because we were treated so poorly. We have stayed in many B&Bs, large and small across Canada and New York state and have never encountered this type of disrespect. Considering, we were paying $900/night between 3 couples for the rooms & breakfast alone, I think that we deservered to be treated as guests, given privacy and permitted to play music at 7:30. It is not acceptable for an Innkeeper to present herself in a bathrobe, angry over such an issue.

I don't normally vent like this in reviews, but I really feel that other groups looking to enjoy their stay and be social should be advised. I have also waited 9 months to let things digest and settle before posting so that it would be tempered.

I truly wish I could give this Inn a higher rating but unfortunately our experience there was spoiled by these incidents.

The breakfast at 10 Fitch was good but not as high quality as one would expect at a fine Inn and at $300+/night. The presentation was impressive though.

One final note - Sally - the Innkeeper's Mother was a sweetheart and always pleasant with us.

I do highly recommend the Finger Lakes regions for it's wine, cuisine and generally friendly people.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
10Fitch, Owner at 10 Fitch Luxurious Romantic Inn, responded to this review, May 31, 2012
I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations and appreciate the positive things that you did mention in your review of 10 Fitch- our sheets & beds, the decor, grounds and my mom, Sally :) I'm also glad that you enjoyed Moro's Table, your winery/sightseeing tour, and your dinner at Mirbeau.

As you mentioned, your stay with us was August of 2011 so some time has passed but I do remember your stay with us. The first problem that you mentioned was the lawn ornament that was accidentally broken. It was actually a floating alligator head that was in the middle of our large Koi pond at the back of the property. It was new and had been put in the pond exactly one week earlier to try and help keep out a large blue heron who had been visiting the ponds all summer trying to eat our fish. The decoy was found out of the water laying in two pieces on a large flat rock at the edge of the pond with the fishline and sinker that kept it in the middle of the pond still attached to it. My grown son discovered it after you all had left to go on your winery tour the morning after your arrival. He thought that the heron had broken it, making some kind of comment about how persistent he was and that the decoys obviously didn't scare him because he beat one up! When I went out to investigate I realized that there was no way a bird could have broken it. And how would the heron have put both piece up on the rock next to each other? Yes, it was upsetting to discover because we were trying to protect our beautiful Koi and also to realize that a guest staying in our home must have broken it and left it there. So, I brought it inside and left on the chair in the foyer.

The confession, apology and offer to pay to replace the decoy came after you all came back from the winery tour and saw it sitting there. The person responsible told me they had been "goofing off" and had fished it out of the pond and held the end of it while snapping it to get the water off it and that's how it got broken. I did not leave the decoy there to punish anyone or remind anyone of how angry I was. I was hoping to fix it so I could get it back in the pond and in fact tried to do so with super glue, duct tape but to no avail. I printed out the order from Amazon that I had for it so that you could see where I got it and what it cost and left that with the decoy. I am sorry that this was so upsetting to you and perhaps I could have handled it better but I did what I thought was best at the time and was not trying to make anyone feel bad, I was simply trying to take care of things and get a decoy back in the pond as soon as I could.

The peaches- so sorry! I did not realize that you meant them as a gift to us and hope that you were not insulted when we served them to you for breakfast. I remember you bringing them into the kitchen and saying that you found some local peaches. I misunderstood and do apologize.

10 Fitch is our home and my husband and I do have separate quarters on the third floor of the inn which include 2 bedrooms, a bathroom and a large living room. The entire floor is ours alone and that is where we spend out evenings. All guest suites are on second floor and common areas, including a living room, sunroom, library and outside veranda & deck, are all on the first floor of the inn. We try to make ourselves "scarce" when we have guests so that they have plenty of space, although we do often eat in the 1st floor library and watch a little TV there in the early evening before retiring for the night, usually between 8-9PM. We have had many groups come and stay in our home, as many as 9 laughing, chatting ladies at once, all excited and having a good time and I have never before, or since, had to go down and ask any of them to lower the volume of their music, TV or talking because we could not hear our television. All our suites have iPod docking stations and iPods so I was really surprised when I went downstairs that night and discovered you all were in Equestrian Suite but the music was coming from Garden View! Perhaps you did not think it was blaring but we could not hear our own TV in our separate quarters on the 3rd floor without turning it up to an unbearable level. Yes, I was in my night clothes and I'm sorry that you found it inappropriate and it was just as embarrassing and awkward for me I assure you. I don't recall the time but I am not normally in my night clothes at 7:30.

For those who read this review and my reply I would also like to mention that one couple left behind a phone charger and some envelopes of personal photographs. When we realized that all the guests were gone, they left right after breakfast without saying goodbye, we tried to contact them via their cell to let them know hoping that they might be able to come back to retrieve their belongings if they had not gotten too far away. We were unable to get through and left a message on their voicemail. Several hours, perhaps the next day, I don't remember exactly, the guest who had left the things behind contacted me via email and said that they did not get my message until they were home which was back in Canada, and she said that the photos where very important to them as they were photos of their children and would I please send them to her which I promptly did. The guest paid for the postage.
Eagleville, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

We first visited 10 Fitch for our honeymoon three years ago and made a point to try many of the add-ons, all of which were wonderful! (The limo wine tour, the fondue, the picnics, the massage, and breakfast in the room, just to name a few.) We have stayed at 10 Fitch five times now, always in the Equestrian Suite, and every time we are amazed at how relaxing and re-energizing just being there is. After only a few hours the atmosphere of 10 Fitch has made all the personal and professional stresses of our everyday lives fade away.

It is hard to pick a favorite part of our stay but it is probably a tie between the amazingly comfortable bed (we always have our best nights sleep of the whole year when we are at 10 Fitch) and the delicious food. Cheryl's breakfasts are both beautiful and delicious, and she takes into account our food likes and dislikes in anything she makes for us. The food in our picnic lunches and dinners is also fantastic. Cheryl has some of the best soups you have ever tasted and you will never be left hungry!

Since our first stay at 10 Fitch we have bought a picnic basket and a feather top mattress to try and remind us year round of some of the comforts of 10 Fitch. And on our last stay we were able to win one of their amazingly comfortable sheet sets in the March madness giveaway promotion!

Cheryl, Sally, and now Trish, have taken care of our every need and request. They are there for us when we need something but always step back when we want privacy. They demonstrate a loyalty to their customers, a genuine interest in our lives, and have become like family. We are huge fans of 10 Fitch and plan to keep returning for stays there year after year.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Ridgefield, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

We had every reason to believe our stay would exceed expectations. The reservation process went smoothly; there were delightful "pre-stay" emails between our host and us. Well! On Friday night, we were awakened every hour byThe Queen and King of Porn. Needless to say, we were not looking forward to meeting the gymnasts face-to-face at the breakfast table, so we hurried our meal and left the table. You see, the inn is marketed as the quintessential romantic spot, but guests sat at one table for breakfast. Who wants to spend their "romantic" weekend making small talk? First thing in the morning, no less. The walls between the suites should be sound-proofed as we could hear even the quiet couple's TV next store. Garden Suite was freezing and stayed that way for two days with no thermostat that I could see. The room itself was pretty as was the bathroom, and the bed and sheet set were a joy. Generous snacks and drinks throughout the inn. My husband enjoyed his breakfast entrees.

• Stayed January 2012
10Fitch, Owner at 10 Fitch Luxurious Romantic Inn, responded to this review, March 14, 2012
I truly appreciate your feedback and the time you took to write your review about our bed & breakfast. I’m very sorry that your expectations were not completely met however, and that you were disappointed with much of your stay. I sincerely apologize for that.

Thank you for sharing the positives of your stay with us, that your pre-arrival interaction with us went well, that you found the bed & sheets comfortable and enjoyed the décor of your suite as well as the snacks and drinks and that your husband enjoyed his breakfasts.

I am sorry about Friday night and the discomfort that it caused you. Noise level and the ability to hear the TV, music or anything else from another guests suite is not a complaint that we typically receive. Our b&b is an almost century old house with thick walls and usually guests remark about how quiet it is even when all three suites are occupied. However, on Friday night the bed in a neighboring room broke and perhaps that and the commotion that followed accounts for some of the noise you experienced. So sorry about that! The bed was fixed the next day once the couple staying in that suite told us what happened, and they enjoyed another 6 nights with us, same bed & room, without incident.

Although a small number of bed and breakfasts have the space and are laid out in such a way as to be able to offer more intimate seating for their guests the majority serve breakfast in a common area at one table and this has typically been part of the b&b experience. You might like to know that during the warmer months guests staying at 10 Fitch may choose to dine in the dining room as well as at two tables on the veranda outside. Additionally, our breakfast served in suite is a popular add on year round for those guests who would like a more private dining experience.

I am sorry also that you found your suite so cold for the two days you were with us and can’t understand what the problem may have been. The hot water radiators normally keep things pretty comfortable in there even though there are no individual room temperature controls (big old house) I have the thermostat set to 70. After reading your review I checked the electric fireplace in Garden View Suite, which provides additional heat, thinking that maybe it was broken but it seems to be working just fine.

Again, I am truly sorry that your experience here at 10 Fitch was less than ideal. I do so appreciate your feedback and hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future and give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Cheryl Barber ~ innkeeper/owner

Been to 10 Fitch Luxurious Romantic Inn? Share your experiences!