“Super food, Interesting Location” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 104 Restaurants in Auburn
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Super food, Interesting Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Balloons Restaurant is a place you would never stop unless you were directed there. Do not miss it. It is located across a narrow street from a high security prison. The restaurant faces a 20 foot wall with guard turrets every 50 or 60 yards. You enter the restaurant into a neighborhood bar. There are tables in that room and two other rooms. The dining room appears to be the original that was established over 75 years ago. Each table along the wall has a, non-operating, bell button in the wall that used to summon a waiter.
People do not visit Balloons, however, for the atmosphere. The food is outstanding. The place is known for its steaks. I had what has to be one of the best rib eyes I ever tasted, It was cooked perfectly medium-rare with a crisp grilled crust. Two others in our party had the filet and were equally impressed. No matter what you order you will not go wrong. My wife had the salmon with a mustard glaze and indicated that it was also superb. We each got a "doggie bag" because the portions were so large. Two of our company had steak fries that they indicated were house made and wonderful. We all had the fresh string beans. The dinner salad, however, was the only part that was not a clear winner. Order the special salad for a couple of dollars extra. It is well worth it.
This is the second time we have visited Balloons. We had no room for dessert this time but last time we shared a couple of pieces of pie. All of the desserts are made in the restaurant and are delicious.
One of the best things about Balloons is that even though the meals are outstanding, the prices are reasonable. Enjoy.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Auburn
“My favorite restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Balloons is the best. I have eaten there many, many times and every meal has been excellent. The Whiskey Peppercorn steak and the lobster mac and cheese are my favorites. The specials are always amazing -- especially when it is Sea Bass. The service is great. Don't be fooled by the exterior. It's a gem inside.

Visited August 2012
St. Catharines, Canada
“Unexpected”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

My husband and I were spending a couple of days touring the Finger Lakes of NY. We were staying in Auburn, NY and decided to try this restaurant down the street from our hotel. Did we ever luck out on this one! First of, I love neighbourhood bars and this one met every criteria. Next, enjoy knowledgeable waiters with great senses of humour. And finally, I love good food and boy does Balloons have it all. Everything about this place is amazing. I had the Rattlesnake Pasta, no rattlesnake, just great spices. The bowl was full to brimming with linguine, fettucini noodles and I swear a half chicken. We could have fed 5 more people. The view, which I loved, was the wall of a federal/state prison. The good news is, I didn't see anyone in orange jumpsuits being served. Try it, you'll love it.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
“Simply the best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

This is the go to place for steak! The garlic mashed potatoes were to die for. I got the recipe and can't wait to try them out. What a crazy sight that prison wall is across the street but don't let it stop you. This is the best meal we've had in a very long time. Can't wait to be back in the area.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Milton, Canada
“Appearances can be deceiving”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

We were in the Auburn area for 3 days over the Labor Day Weekend to do some shopping and attend races at Oswego NY. After checking into our hotel I checked tripadvisor for a restaurant for dinner and "Balloons" was rated highly. This reputation is well deserved. Our meals were simply delicious, the Millennium Chicken Saute and the Drunken Sirloin were prepared very well and simply excellent. I believe anything on the menu would be delicious. The service was great and the waiters attentive. Highly recommended.

• Visited August 2012