“Mout Pulag, Kabayan, Benguet: Travel and Adventure” 4 of 5 stars

Type: Mountains
Attraction Details
Baguio, Baguio, Philippines
16 attraction reviews
“Mout Pulag, Kabayan, Benguet: Travel and Adventure”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Going to the foot of Mount Pulag is not free. We hired a jeep and had to pay P5,000. The amount will cover the back and forth rental of the jeep. In our case, the jeepney driver stayed overnight at the Ranger Station and waited for us until we came back. From Kabayan central, it took us almost 3 hours to reach the Ranger Station. It was a bumpy ride and the road going up the foot of the mountain is an adventure in itself. Rest assured that for men… they will understand the literal meaning of “scrambled eggs”.
Before reaching the Ranger station, everyone is required to register at the National parks Office which is one hour from the ranger station. The registration is P200 for “tourists” but if you are a local and a student, you can pay half the price. There was a short briefing, around 30 minutes explaining the history and do’s and don’t s of the park. Part of the short lecture was a film viewing about the things to know before going up the mountain. After the lecture, we bought our “we survived Mt. Pulag” t-shirts for P240 each.
The hike going to camp site 2 was hard for people who grew up in the city, that I had to admit that time. I had a powerful flashlight but it was not enough to cover the group, good thing most of the team brought their “miners” flashlight. By 9:00pm, after hours of climbing, we reached Camp site 2. We immediately boiled water for coffee as soon as we arrived. We were fortunate because at that time we were the only campers in that area. The wind was blowing wild, the night was dark and the sky was shinning with stars. It was mesmerizing. We also saw some of the small rat-kangaroo (I forgot how the locals call it but we saw them earlier on the video presented at the Parks office).
By 6:30 we were at the peak of the second highest mountain of the Philippines. It was a very fulfilling morning for all of us. We had a group prayer and after that were lots of photo-ops. The cloud formation for us that morning was unusual because of the heavy rains somewhere in the south of the mountains. Unlike those calm clouds oftentimes seen in pictures by Pulag adventurists, ours were different. The clouds were powerful, somewhat angry but colorful. It was like the clouds of the movies “titans” and “300″. But by 7:30 am, they became calm and bright. And by the way, we were looking down at the clouds. What they say is true, it is just like “walking in the clouds”.

Visited November 2012

Baguio City, Baguio, Philippines
“Best Sunset and Sunrise in the whole Luzon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

From Baguio, we rented a jeep to drive us there to Kabayan, but we picked up a friend of my mother, we passed through a really long highway, we attended an orientation for about 10 or 20 minutes, we were told not to buy a single product made from the endangered animals there in the mountain, of attending it, we took the jeep again to go to the ranger station, once we reached there, we bought boots so that our feet would not get wet during the hiking, the. We let people carry our stuff, it is 1000 pesos each bag, we took the easiest trail, the mount Pulag trail, from the ranger station, it took us about 1 hour to reach camp 1 and rest for a few minutes, then we continued our hike to the main campsite, the trail after camp one was. About 5 kilometers but it is like you are lost in the mountain, be careful because their is a big fallen tree there right after camp one, always bring long lasting headlamps, once we set up our tent, we began eating our MRE, then we slept until one AM, at 1:30 am we woke up then with our small camping stove, we heated water and drank coffee, and milo, then we ate noodles, after that we grabbed our rain coats and our head lamps, and we were the first ones to begin the hiking to the summit at 3:00 am, at 4:30 we reached the peak number 6 or 5 the friend of our mother did not want to continue to the Summit, so we just sat there for a few minutes and ate crackers, then my family and I continued to hike, at 5:00am we arrived at the summit, just laying down on the grass, relaxing our victory to conquer the 2nd highest mountain in the country, then we were watching the sea of clouds and the extremely beautiful sunrise, the sea of clouds makes you think that you are seeing the Pacific Ocean, we began to look at the killer trail, which takes 3 days to climb, after watching the sunrise we immediately went to the campsite to eat our breakfast, then we packed up all of our things then went back to the ranger station and went to an unknown hot sulfuric volcano in Kabayan, then we went to the ambuklao dam to see the hydroelectric electricity, then we went home to Baguio.

Visited December 2012
Luzon, Philippines
“Sea of clouds”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

It was a long travel but a memorable experience to climb the highest mountain in the Philippines. The climb was organized by Backpackers United and almost 30 people joined the group. Having an organized activity, I paid a fix fee which is quite reasonable wih the inclusion of food, tent and transport from Manila.

The highlights of the trek was the summit of the mountain to watch the sun rises from the sea of clouds. The summit is one hour walk from the main camp site. Some part of the trails were slippery and narrow, and I was lucky to borrow my friend's walking stick and headlight. The headlight or flashlight is essential in ascending the summit. The only downside of having a packaged trip is that sharing with other 8 strangers in a tent. It was really uncomfortable during the night.

Visited April 2013
Singapore, Singapore
8 attraction reviews
“inspiring”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Sunrise view was just awesome. We were freezing to death the night before but upon seeing the view at the summit, all these sacrifices were nothing. It was just beautiful!

Visited May 2013
Baguio City
“Magnificent Sea of Clouds”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

It was my first time to climb Mt. Pulag and it was very fulfilling. I'm not that adventurous type of person but I can say that its really an achievement to climb the peak of this mountain especially knowing I have an asthma. I am aware that its gonna be a measure of endurance and strength so honestly I was having second thoughts. But I must say that nothing is impossible, I was able to walk for many hours back and forth without using my inhaler. Most of us are first timers so we got the easiest trail.

Usually the weather is unpredictable so be ready with your rain coats and jackets in case of emergency. From the ranger station wherein we settled our things, negotiate and have our guides, its gonna be a 3-hour walk going to the camping site. As we walk along the trail, we saw the mossy forest, pine forest and short bamboos. The nature was simply awesome despite the muddy trail. It was really cold at the camping site especially at night. When the sky is clear there are a lot of stars and I really appreciate it because in the city you can only see few stars at night. We woke up at 4 am and went to peak 2. It rained that night so the trail is really slippery and muddy. Its an hour walk but its really worth it when you reached the top and experience the beautiful sunrise with the sea of clouds.

I will definitely want to climb Mt. Pulag again and probably try the more challenging trail!

Visited April 2013