“Great friendly hostel close to centre of town” 5 of 5 stars

You added Bothy Backpackers to your Saves list
Bothy Backpackers
Jiron Iquitos 136, Puno 051, Peru   |
Ranked #17 of 51 Specialty Lodging in Puno
“Great friendly hostel close to centre of town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

I travelled from La Paz,Bolivia to Puno via a local bus on Sunday 22nd December 2013. After a very short cheap taxi ride ( S6 ) I arrived at the Bothy Backpackers hostel. I did not have any small change so was relieved that the lady on the reception kindly paid the patient taxi driver. I would point out at this moment that the location leaves a lot to the imagination in a "shady" looking backstreet area BUT was perfectly safe and within a short 5 minute stroll to the town centre.The staff were amazingly friendly and helpful and the facilities were excellent. After being traveling for a week I took the opportunity to have my dirty washing done and was astonished by the speedy service and the cheapness. I received my 2 kg of washing back pristinely cleaned and ironed that same afternoon which was very impressive. I was lucky to have sole use of a 6 bed mixed dorm for my 2 night stay and felt immediately at home. The staff even re-stocked the fridge with beer after I mentioned my thirst after a long 6 hour bus journey. I would recommend this lovely friendly hostel to any traveller and PLEASE do not be put off by your immediate impression of the location as you arrive in
the taxi. A true find !!!

• Stayed December 2013

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

Firstly they offer an early breakfast which is at 6.10am, useful for when you have early trips and buses, that's helpful we thought. Until it got to 6.50am and there's no sign of breakfast (it's only bread and jam anyway!) and our bus was leaving at 7.00. I even volunteered to go and get the food from the shop but the receptionist just sat there and said "It's no problem." I would disagree as I had an 8 hour bus journey ahead of me and wanted something to eat.

There are two computers at the hostel so you can have access to the Internet which is good. Although some clever person has removed the USB ports so we were unable to back up photos. The computers are also directly outside our room (the door has a 15cm gap at the bottom) so we could hear everyone's conversations which didn't make the room feel that private.

Bathroom on our floor was pretty poor. For starters, we were told we were not meant to use the shower (later we found out why, it smells of gas if you do), there wasn't enough toilet paper and the toilet wasn't exactly what you would call clean. So we would use the showers downstairs where we were told to run the water for 3 minutes so it becomes hot.
On the first night I let it run for 10 minutes before realising it wouldn't get any hotter than ice, luckily in the morning it was hot (maybe there's no hot water in the evenings.)

We paid 60 soles for the double room which in our opinion is too much for cold showers, no breakfast one day and one useless member of staff (there was another helpful lady who greeted us to be fair.) My advice is stay here if there is no where else and you hope you don't have to experience the rude receptionist that we did this morning - I forgot to mention she had a loud argument at 5.00am this morning which we could hear from our room on the second floor.

• Stayed January 2014
Sao Paulo, SP
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

I had to make a reservation at the last minute, and Bothy was the only one available.
It's not pretty, but close enough to the city centre. Breakfast was decent. But bathrooms are outdoors, so it's not really exciting to go out on the cold to take a shower...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

The hostel is just a few streets from the main square, but as Puno is not the nicest of places, its good to be away from all that noise. The hostel is very secure with doors which get properly locked throughout the day and night. The showers were warm, the beds were comfy and clean. I liked the kitchen and was able to cook a proper meal. Breakfast was basic, and the wifi is good on the ground floor. The staff are lovely and very helpful. There is a good TV room and a nice roof terrace to relax and chill out with people. You can smoke in the open air spaces and theres plenty of seating area.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
York, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

This hostel was not great, arriving at night to an strange doorway didn't put you at ease, however the staff did try to help although their English was not that great and our Spanish not fluent but they were friendly enough. However the hostel was not very clean, there were no good social spaces at all, and there was only one bathroom upstairs which meant that if you needed to use it in the night you have to go downstairs (half of which is open air) and use the one downstairs. The breakfast was also not very good. The beds were the worst I had slept in on my trip, the wooden slats were totally broken on my bunk. Met some nice people in our dorm but on a whole, I wouldn't recommend it, although the location was good.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Clean hostel offering low cost lodging with kitchen facilities, WiFi, tv room, outdoor terrace, free breakfast and hot drinks all day. A lot smaller and quieter than the bothy in arequipa but definitely sufficient for a night or two. Dorm room costs only 23 soles(less than 5 pounds) and extra bedding is provided if you are cold.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

A simple hostel which is a couple of minutes walk from the main square. Whilst it's through a couple of back streets they feel safe and I had no issues. Very friendly staff, who are helpful and have fairly good English. Small lockers in reception for valuables, but no big lockers as with their sister hostel in Arequipa.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Been to Bothy Backpackers? Share your experiences!