“Top choice for Tours! good hostel too” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tambopata Hostel

You added Tambopata Hostel to your Saves list
Tambopata Hostel
Av. 26 de Diciembre 234, One block from the main square, Puerto Maldonado, Peru   |
Paris, France
“Top choice for Tours! good hostel too”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

The ambiance is good. The staff are fantastic especially Marilena who seems to be working 24 hours non stop to keep the place top-notch. May not be the best value as far as accommodation goes but....... the tours offered to Tambopata park (Lake Sandoval) are hard to beat. And I am not saying that just for the scenery. The quality of the tour as a whole is hard to match. I have been in several tours around the world and the enthusiasm of these guys is phenomenal and needs credit. The set up on the lake is good enough, the family preparing meals/accommodation is in perfect sinc with the busy itinerary. And I mean busy itinerary. Our guide (MIlton) had dragged us to a
program 5am-to late night boat rides -highlight of Peru travel- with insightful explanations not only about the impressive animals but the details of the forest. His enthusiasm (all day through) made our experience unique. From all the nature tours around the world I have never seen such an enthusiastic and passionate guide. Well done guys keep it up!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
r
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We went there given the good reviews we readed here and on our book, and were really disappointed.
We stayed in a room with shared bathroom: two toilets, a shower and two washing basins for 18 people. The bathroom and shower were nasty, as they were the two wash-basins there were outside in the garden. I don't think anyone went there to clean them unless to have the toilet bin emptied.
Our room (there were three beds for the two of us) was ok because they weren't bunk-beds as we expected and there were nice nets and sheets. But the carpet (!) was sooo dirty.
We asked them to have our backpacks stored while we were in the jungle and were asked to pay 4 soles backpack/day, so we didn't.
We wanted to make a tour with the excellent guide they have, but were asked to wait again and again, so we missed that.
Good points are that the price was good, it's very quiet, you have free wi-fi and computer if you want and the breakfast is nice. The people in reception were nice. They gave us atriple bedroom just for us, and unless we got to the hostel late in the afternoon they allowed us to stay.
So I don't really understand the rest of the reviews about the cleanliness, what I lived was completely opposite.
If I had to come back to Puerto Maldonado I would try another hostel. But I would try the guided tours in the Amazon with them.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Gerson83, Owner at Tambopata Hostel, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Hi rm0,

I am Gerson, the owner of Tambopata Hostel. I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay here.

We are a small hostel with a capacity for only 30 people, and half of our rooms have private bathrooms. I don’t know when you had to share a bathroom with 18 people (We also have four sinks, not 2), however, I agree that we could use an extra bathroom, so we are building two new bathrooms for the 8-bed dorm in the garden.

The Saturday that you were at the hostel the water had been shut off in the entire city for several hours due to repairs. Believe me, this was as frustrating for me as it was for my guests, but we tried to do the best we could that day. I am sorry that these few hours ruined the experience for you. Cleanliness is very important to me because I am not only the owner of the hostel but also a resident – the public restrooms are the ones that I use and my staff and I clean them several times throughout the day.

I am shocked that you never found a guide. As I said before, I live in the hostel and I am a guide. I am at the tour desk each evening. I would have been more than happy to give you tour information had you asked.

We never charge tourists that go on trips with us to store their luggage, but there gets to be a point where the storage room is full (small hostel) and we try to give preference to travelers that go on a trip with us – which is why we charge travelers who don’t stay with us 1.45 usd per day to store luggage – Usually this is no problem because their travel agency offers to store their luggage.

I hope that if you return to Puerto Maldonado you will try to talk to me personally. I think you will find all of you complaints have been resolved.

Regards,

Gerson M.
hereford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a few nights in a private room with bathroom. The rooms were nice and spacious but there seemed to be some sort of disco very near so this did disturb our sleep. Maybe just a downside of being so close to the town centre.
We went on a tour of lake Sandoval with tambopata hostel and I recommend using them even if you don't stay here. Excellent value for money tours and tailored the tour to us which a lot of the other companies we spoke to wouldnt do. Have free WiFi and use of a computer if needed. If you can sleep in a place that may get a bit noisy you won't get a more reasonable place to stay in Puerto which very helpful and friendly staff

• Stayed May 2013
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Tambopata Hostel was a wonderful experience. The rooms and facilities are well kept. The staff is phenomenal-- they truly go above and beyond to make sure every visitor has a great experience. They also offer top of the line tours of the Amazon. The tours are extremely flexible-- you name what you want to do and see, how much you want to spend, how many days, etc.

Overall, a fantastic experience. Gerson, the owner, is very kind hearted and makes an honest effort to ensure that all of the hostel guests have a wonderful stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Great Northwest
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We stayed in a matrimonial ensuite before our trip into the jungle. I highly recommend this hostel!

Pluses:
-For being jungle-ish, it's amazingly clean
-EXCELLENT staff- the owner is a top-notch jungle guide, and offers jungle trips for far less than other lodges.
-Excellent staff
-Free wi-fi
-Free breakfast with eggs, a rarity in Peru
-When you come back from your jungle trip, they will let you use the showers & towels to clean up- a huge bonus since we were off to catch a plane
-Awesome tour options- they work with Willy Mejia Cepa Lodge, a rustic family-run homestay jungle lodge
-Good location in town, walking distance to all restaurants and Plaza de Armas
-Cute garden setup
-Fans in the rooms
-Mosquito nets in the rooms
-Use of kitchen if you want it

Minuses:
-No hot water

Hugely recommend if you are visiting the jungle on a backpacker budget!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Karlsruhe, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

we were there with a group of 4 People, booked one day before by internet and they picked us up at he busstop - very friendly! we found Basic, nice rooms. all very clean. we are allowed to use the kitchen and it was a very familiar atmosphere. the tour we made with the owner of the hostel was so interesting!!! we saw places and animals we never expected. tahnk you gerson for this experiance.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Puerto Maldonado, Peru
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

My sister and I traveled to Puerto Maldonado this February after doing Macchu Picchu. I booked the hostel because of its recommendation by Lonely Planet.

The kitchen and bathrooms were kept very clean. Our room had a fan and mosquito nets.

The best part of the experience were the guides. We were able to negotiate trips directly with them (without any middle-man or agencies). Ruber, the guide who sold us the jungle trip was very helpful and spoke decent English.

If you are looking for a more authentic experience and trying to see the "real" Peru, I highly recommend this hostel. During tour we booked through hostel we were able to stay at the home of a local family in the jungle - it was an AWESOME experience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Tambopata Hostel? Share your experiences!