“Lots to Do, See and Eat” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Decameron Beach Resort, Golf & Casino

Save Saved
You added Royal Decameron Beach Resort, Golf & Casino to your Saves list
Royal Decameron Beach Resort, Golf & Casino
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Avenida principal Farallon, Km.115, Farallon, Panama   |
Ranked #1 of 4 hotels in Farallon
NEAR TORONTO, ONTARIO
“Lots to Do, See and Eat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Great resort with lots of amenities. 10 Pools, 12 Bars, 3 Snack Bars and 3 Buffets. Rode a horse on the beach for 10 bucks, Para-sail, Get a massage, or go for a stroll along the beach...and I 'm just getting started. There are 74 steps at the worst climb stair set at the resort, but there are ramps (long walk) or you can take the free transport they provide to get you from up the hill, down to the beach and back. I think it was great work-out, but you are required to climb stairs/traverse the hill at some point whether you stay on the beach level, ("Ocean Front" rooms), or if you stay on the upper level like we did. or in between with an "Ocean View" room. This facility was kept immaculately clean and functional during our entire visit despite the fact that we were there during off-season. The staff are friendly and eager to please from the wait staff to the bar staff, front desk, bell boys, room maids, and sports and other facility staff. We did the "Noli-Duo" package wherein we stayed 5 nights at the Decameron, and then 2 nights at The Hardrock Hotel in Panama City. I was sad to leave after nights as we were just getting to know a lot of the various restaurant and bar staff. The folks will go the extra mile to communicate in english if you give them a chance and show them you are trying to learn some spanish. The front desk all speak fine english and most bar staff are very proficient as well. The food was quite varied and with 8 al-a-carte theme restaurants to enjoy, your evening meal is a nice surprise. There are about 7-8 choices on each evening meal menu. The buffets are varied from each other and the menu changes daily for lunches and snacks. Even breakfast had several new hot dishes each morning along with favourites such as eggs over easy, scrambled, omlettes, french toast, waffles and pancakes. The other usual fare is there as well, plus surprises like pork and vegtables, fried plantain, other varieties of pork, potatoes etc. I could write about 200 descriptions of the food I saw. Chinese food dishes were scrumpshish and well prepared. No-one was sick in our family of 4 during our stay. I would rate the food about 4 of 5. It was edible and enjoyable at every meal. The evening show was definitety aimed at the spanish speaking audience, and was very loud. The kid's show atrted at 8:00Pm and the adult show started at 9:30ish. I would rate it about a 3 of 5. It became very repetitive even though the shows were varied. It seemed like the same pattern each night. There was some kareoke one evening. We rented a car at the front gate and drove 3.5 hours to Las Tablas and the Pedasi area. It was an adventure, but driving is always a joy, and a risk, in a foreign country. The road signs were fairly equivalent to out North American (Canada/US) standards, but watch out for Construction. Several times we were driving along in one lane of a two lane highway and all of a sudden, an orange construction cone would show up in one lane, No warning signs, just a cone in the road in an 80km (50MPH) stretch of highway. Pay Attention. I drove home nearly the entire return trip in the dark with about 1/2 hour of dusk. We stopped at the McDonalds in Chitre to re-fuel (yuk) after our busy day. I paid 29 bucks plus $12 for liability insurance, while renting a 4 door Toyota Yaris sedan, not the Sport model. Beautiful beaches everywhere, and $1 Beers at the fishing beach," Playa el areal Pedasi" north-east of Pedasi. We saw 2 other beaches thanks to wonderful ex-patriots that we met at that beach. They took us on a 1 hour tour of the area including the house they were building after a 45 minute discussion over a couple of Panama's (beer). MOVING ON - The Hardrock was truly a 5 star hotel with EXCELLENT SERVICE AND GREAT FOOD (5 OF 5). The city is a nightmare to drive, and even cross streets in. Traffic and noise is 24-7. The drivers are fantastic. better than most NA drivers on average, but they drive with a whole different aggressive style. We had a custom chaffeur (Sammy, (a famous local artist), who is one of my son's good friends), so he took us all over the place...to the canal, to the old town on a walking tour, to the Canal Administration Building, and monument, and to the City of Knowledge. If you want to see the city, I am warning you now, do not try to drive in Panama city, unless you are brave, stupid, or well insured. FINAL THOUGHTS We loved the people, the sights, the land and all of the new friends we met and made. There is one consideration though...when we arrived at the airport in Tocumen, the Immigration Officials insisted that everyone debarking the plane and entering the country be FINGER- PRINTED. This was a major downer, as my feeling as a Canadian drove tme to feel that I was a criminal before I even set foot outside of the airport. My son has been twice before and even just 3 or 4 months earlier, and there was no requirement for finger printing. Stay away is this is a downer for you. It certainly was for me and a host of our plane-load. I spoke with several families who were all disgusted and frustrated by this unnecessary invasion of privacy. I will be thinking twice about returning and I plan on writing to the Panama immigration department. What a shame to ruin my otherwise perfect vacation. Oh yea..the weather. We left for Panama on 27Jun13, which is their winter. It rained on our travel day, and then the next day. After that it was partly cloudy and sunny the rest of the way. It was about 27degrees C in the rain, and about 32-34 C during the sunny times. The humidity is brutal, but the consistent temperature for their winter (rain, cloud and high humidity) was well worth the experience.

Room Tip: Do not worry about Ocean Front, unless you really need to limit the stair steps. Even then you will...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

2,467 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Six adults decided to take a break from the hustle and bustle of Panama City and spend four days in this all inclusive resort outside of Panama City. We arrived on a Friday which was not good because of the crowds we encountered. There are three areas you can check into in this resort and we were in level 3 which we recommend. Panamanians take Fri., Sat. and Sun as their break and go to this resort so it was crowded in levels 1 and 2. We went during the rainy season which meant that we had a shower each day, which was not all that bad since there were activities you could do indoors. The rooms in the "newer" section of Decameron were large, roomy, and satisfactory. The food at the buffet lines was very ordinary and bland. The food however in the specialty restaurants in the evenings was very good and the service was more attune to our needs. The buffet was very crowded and the service was hit and miss.
The beach was lovely and there were plenty of chairs to go around as well as towels.
The shows in the evenings were geared for the younger set and the performances were ordinary at best. The casino was small and the machines were just okay to play.
Two of our friends played golf and found that to be very exciting with the rentals of clubs and transportation to the golf course from the resort very prompt and inexpensive.
We all took a side trip to El Valle, a lovely mountain town just 1 hr. from the resort on Sunday and enjoyed that side trip tremendously.
Overall we found our visit to Decameron to be average, but relaxing since that is what we were looking for as a break from our other visits.

Room Tip: Choose rooms that are in level 3, they are more spacious and modern. Be aware that it is hilly and...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Panama City, Panama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

I went with a large group of people of alla ages. I havent been here since 2003 maybe, and my last experience wasnt the best. The room is ok, average, but the glasses were dirty. The food is ok, average too, salads, panamanian food, etc. What is different here is the entertainment, compared to the others hotels in the area, there is a lot to do, gym, club,show, casino, etc. But dont expect something luxurious, it is a cheap hotel after all. I would recommend it for 20 somethings that wanna drink and have a good time.

• Stayed July 2013
Omemee, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

We had a good time, but there are a few problems. The food is not really good. The bar service is okay. We did appreciate Reynaldo, Kelvin, and Jose Luis and a few others. They were exceptionally friendly. We apologize for our disrespectful, attention-seeking, fellow Canadians. The rooms are fine. They are cleaned well daily and the ladies are very sweet. Now until September green fees are free at the Decameron golf course. You will have to pay for club rental, cart, balls and tees...approximately $70. The course was very good and no wait time between holes. The beach was never open (red flags) so don't expect to swim in the ocean, but the pools are awesome. There are lots throughout the resort. We didn't mind the stairs, but older people or people with disabilities or heart conditions would not do well here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Bogota, Colombia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Lot of people very annoying and trying to sell you some action at the hotel; you have to wake up early to get a reservation for dinner and the people doesn't offer the best hours. Food is not quite good, and bartenders seem to be mad all the time. No many activities for entertainment.

Room Tip: choose another place
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

A group of friends and I stayed at the Decameron in March of this year. I did not think we got what we paid for. The rooms were poor without a mini fridge or any condiments in the room, definitely needs some updating. The food was also poor. Ate a lot of bread and cereal. Lots of pools and the landscaping of the resort was awesome. If you aren't looking for a lot of walking or have difficulty with stairs or hills pay the extra money and get beach front. Everything was a short walk if you were in a beach front room. We went parasailing and it was well worth the money (we bartered and got a deal). We also went on the ATV and waterfall tour (also bartered on that one). I'd highly recommend the tour unless you suffer from motion sickness. Took almost an hour to get to the ATVs and I almost vomited. The waterfall was amazing, some experience on a ATV would be a big help. We also went to the zoo in the town with the ATVs. The staff were great, although we didn't need them much. Bring snacks for in the room. The safe in the room was extra and so is the wifi. The rooms did have air conditioning which would be the only reason we spent any time the room. It was very hot the week we went. If you're going for drinks you may also be disappointed. Nothing delicious comes to mind aside from the lemonade slushies. I think for the price you can get a much nicer resort in Dominican, Cuba or Mexico - that's where I'll be headed to next. I don't think I'd recommend this resort to friends and I don't think I would go back.

• Stayed March 2013
Atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

First area of contention is that in order to get decent transportation to the resort it will cost you $26/PP each way. That is totally ridiculous, but they know they have you over a barrel
because the taxis are very high and the local shuttles might or might not have air.

The resort is very pretty on the grounds. However, this resort is not for you if you have any physical or mobility issues. The resort is huge with lots of hills and stairs and you can't get around without using them. There are zero elevators. We were in building 10. This required going from the lobby down several steps (I think I counted 65) and then we had to walk up 3 floors to our room, then back down and up again to eat at the buffet or specialty restaurants and reverse back to your room. This is all day long. We are only in our late 50's, but we were exhausted and our knees bothered us by the end of the trip. And, if you want to get a soft drink, etc. you have to go to one of the beach bars so that entails at least going up and down to your room. There are no refrigerators in the room unless you rent them, so purchasing drinks to keep in your room is not possible. There are also no ice vending machines if you did. I ended up getting a little dehydrated because of it. I was too exhausted to make the constant trip. And then when I would get to the bar to order my soft drink people would just walk up and order like I was invisible. Do not attempt this resort if you have someone in a wheelchair or walker. There is no way to get around. The staff waits on you when it is convenient. I would go to a counter to ask a question and they would be on their cell phones. No acknowledgement. Just wait on me to finish, OK?

Internet was the biggest rip off. Once you have the hot spot in your location is it really necessary to charge $3 for ten minutes, $16/day or $42/3 days? Seriously? That's how they are making their money. We purchased the 3 day option, but you cannot be on it at the same time. Fee per person, not per room.

The towels were horrible. Cheap and small. 3 "bath" towels per room. I went to the front desk and asked if we could get some washcloths and they looked at me like I was crazy. They didn't have any at all. The soap in the room was like my mechanic father use to use. I think it was called Lava. The room was clean, but the furniture was in need of update. When I go to a "resort" I expect something a little more in the way of room amenities than a Motel 6.

Most of the people vacationing there were from the area. I would say 90%. So the shows and other things were mostly in Spanish. It was workable but when everyone was laughing at something the emcee said we were clueless. And we were warned about how rude the people can be and how they think they don't have to wait on anything or stand in line like everyone else. They didn't disappoint.

Food was very good. But you must understand that their way of cooking, etc. is different than yours if you are not from the region. You must have a sense of adventure or stick to the salad bar portion. My one complaint was with the Panamai buffet. They would let the food run out and when they finally replenished it it was like a frenzy. Definitely try the specialty restaurants.

One surprising thing was that they closed the pool at 5 p.m. There were many, many children there. They wanted to continue to play and I can understand that. The evening shows were fantastic. They have an awesome set of dancers and they strive to please. I would have to say that was the best part of the resort.

Would we return? Probably not because of the access limitations. If that were remedied and they became more realistic on all of the add on charges, perhaps.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Royal Decameron Beach Resort, Golf & Casino? Share your experiences!