“I would have rather not stayed here.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Decameron Beach Resort, Golf & Casino

You added Royal Decameron Beach Resort, Golf & Casino to your Saves list
Royal Decameron Beach Resort, Golf & Casino
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Avenida principal Farallon, Km.115, Farallon, Panama   |
Offers & Announcements
Scuba diving lesson
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Farallon
Hoboken
“I would have rather not stayed here.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I wasn't sure what to expect in panama, but this place versus staying in the city... I would have rather stayed in the city. This place is okay. I've definitely stayed at worse, but this really isn't the best value for the money.

Pros:
Gorgeous grounds. This place is massive. We didn't know it would be so huge. There re several pools and several snack and buffet locations.

Good prices on good massages ($35/30 minutes, $60/60 minutes, $85/90 minutes).

Food at the restaurants is good if you can get a reservation.

Cons:
The majority of the staff is rude. They seem annoyed if you have to ask for anything, even scheduling a massage appointment. While we were trying to book a bus to the airport (after being told the day before they run every hour) we were told there was only a 4am bus for a 10am flight. When we questioned why, she called us crazy in Spanish under her breath. The woman booking dinner also let someone cut in front of us after we had been waiting ten minutes to reserve a spot at one of the restaurants.

When we first got here they had us In a room with one bed when I had reserved a room with two. Luckily they fixed this no problem.

The rooms are bare minimum (no shampoo, no skin cream, no iron).

You have to pay to use the safe.

Wifi is not free. There are several options available, pay in increments for Libby computer use or day or 72 wifi access. I paid $42 for the 72 hours. It also requires you to constantly log in, which isn't the worst, but is annoying.

There's no temperature control in the room so it's either a/c or no a/c.

There are several pools, many close at 6pm.

The buffet food is really bad. I don't ever really have high expectations for buffets at an all inclusive but this was pretty bad. Recommend eating at the on site restaurants whenever possible, or down the beach at woodys.

The beach leaves a lot to be desired, which is not the fault of the hotel so much as geography. But the beach wasn't the cleanest and was littered with dead jellyfish.

They offer water activities which we didn't participate in because of the jellyfish. My friend did aqua gym and apparently they have you massage each other. Which is strange.

There were additional activities but nothing was published/ posted anywhere.

I'd recommend not staying in this area at all. I've heard the Caribbean coast is nice but it will require an interior flight.

• Stayed April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (421)
Hoboken, NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Let me start out by saying this: our stay was nice and relaxing. I would warn though at the rate we payed ($130 per person per night) it was not a luxurious stay. Which is fine, but there were some basic things that would have made this place nicer.

The rooms were basic and the air conditioner worked well. They only provided soap and shampoo but no lotion, conditioner etc. The room also did not have a hair dryer or iron. This is also the type of sort that nickel and dimes you for everything beyond basic you might need. We had to pay a deposit for an extra room key and had to purchase access to the safe in out room. WiFi was also very expensive so we did not get it.

The food and drinks were pretty decent. We did buffet breakfast and lunch and then did a reservation for one of the dinners. We ate at the fusion restaurant that was pretty decent except for the "risotto" that one of my friends got. I put it in quotes because it wasn't at all risotto!

The pools are nice and refreshing and there were plenty of lounge chairs. The beach was wide and long but not as "blanca" as I expected to be given its name. The water had a ton of jelly fish in it so no one was in the water. This was not a problem though because the pools were nice.

We didn't really participate in any of the additional activities except for getting a massage. Two of us did them up at the indoor spa. They were nice and cheaper than what you would get in the US, so I would recommend them.

One additional note on getting to and from the property from Panama City. We went there on a Saturday morning via cab at it took us an hour and 45 minutes. We didn't hit any traffic and didn't stop anywhere. I think that's probably as fast as it gets. On the way back, we had a 10am flight and arranged at Decameron to get a group bus us to take us back. This was definitely a good option because it was only $26 a person and went straight from Decameron to PTY without stops. Because it was a week day though, the ride took us three and a half hours. We left Decameron at 5am and arrived at the airport at 8:30am. That was enough time to get us to our 10am flight, but definitely budget enough time for this!

If you are looking for an affordable beach vacation, this could fit the bill nicely, but don't expect luxury or gorgeous beaches. We had a very nice time, but I probably would opt for a more expensive, more luxurious option next time.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Gatineau, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

- Pleasant hotel with friendly staff. Food very well. Complete facilities and in good condition and clean. Beautiful beach, but beware of traces of oil on the beach and of the waves, and of jellyfishs.

- Animation at the amphitheater too loud presenting karaoke disturbing for a la carte restaurants next door.

-The a la carte restaurants could have a more flexible schedule, not limited to 18:15, 20:00 and 21:40.

- Far from the existing airport (between 2 and 4 hours depending on construction and traffic). Problem solved with the construction of a aéropoert for vacationers close to the hotel, maybe too close.

Room Tip: Look for a room with a view on the sea, far from the amphitheater (Lobby 1).
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Fredericton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

We went to Panama for 2wks. Decameron was our first resort of two. We spent about 11night here. We were also here with our family since we got married on site. So here's our experience.

WEDDING:
Great service, Julia was just brillant and I did not have anything to worry about. I had to show up for 4:30 to get married and I did. The flowers were beautiful, the music was great (we even got our own musician for the dance of the couple) and the food and cake was also delicious. We had our ceremony on beach in front of Café Med and the reception at the Café Med. I really enjoyed the reception since it was middle eastern food and had Oriental Music (I teach belly dancing so it was a perfect coincidence!!!)

FOOD:
The buffet food was ok but got tired of it just because I found the meat and seafood was not very well cooked (chewy or sometimes not eatable at all...like squid) - Although have to admit that their bread and fish was always really really good and compare to some resort in the south, there was lots of lettuce. It was ok for breakfast but not so much for lunch and dinner.

As for the à la carte...
Café Med (Middle Eastern): Good (Had the Arabian Plate, very good and chicken ok )
Panamai (italian): Good (Lasagna was pretty good)
Canal (seafood and fish): Ok (Got the curry dish...was ok but not curry)
Thai: Ok
Grill: Good (found a steak that was not too hard to cut or chew)

As for snack bars...
Go to the infinity pool if you want something other than buffet, or burgers and hot dogs. They have stir fries and pretty good wontons :)

The lounge at lobby 1 makes awesome cappucino and coffee with alcool - opens at 10am.

RESORT (SERVICE AND SPACE):
The service was not impressing...it was very basic. Most pool close at 6pm (which makes sense cause that's when it starts getting dark) and the bartenders are mostly kind (except for one guy around the grill snack bar who never look at you nor smile!!!). They certainly need some improvement their. Make sure you ask for water or coffee even if someone asked for it at your table cause they are very quick to leave the table after serving!!!

The great thing about this resort is that you can try a pool a day and every pool has a bar. Also the beach is gorgeous! We were there from March 11th-March 22nd and it was not busy at all. You could always find a place to sit. I do recommend those dates to travel. We had an all inclusive with Nolitour which was alway great since everything was included (wine, beer, cocktails, juice, coffee, you name it).

ROOMS:
Other than the paper walls, everything was good. We had a very clean room freshen every day. The service was usually done before 11am which was great. It's not fancy but it's not bad. Just what you need. You have a tv with cable, no internet access unless you purchase a 24hr card (which was $16 I believe). You could also have internet access at the lobby ($3 for 15min or $7 for 30min...I know does not make sense so you can be clever now...). And be warned, bring your earpluggs cause if it's not your neighbour waking you up between 1-3am, it's the birds at 4:30am.

Also, what I found really great was that they gave you a bottle of water in your room every day.

Conclusion,
I probably won't come back to that resort...not because I did not like it but I would like to try something else. I am glad I came and it was a perfect place to get married...could've not asked for a better wedding day. It was also a great place for our families to spend time together with lots of thing to do for the kids and adults. Many pools, many bars, many restaurants. The beach is great, the water is rough but whatever... Oh and best of all I think you pay for what you get. It's not super expensive and Panama is a beautiful country. In the end, I am happy with my "séjour" at the Decameron.

Room Tip: Pick a building along the beach, we were in the building 30 (room 3042), there is also building 14 w...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

My husband just got married at this resort and brought along 16others ranging from 11-65. Everyone had a great time. Food was great, especially the Italian restaurant. We ate there 3 times in7 nights. Stay in the ocean fronts if you can and if you don't like your room they will gladly move you. We didn't do many activities and the ocean was not open for swimming most of the times but the pools are great. Lots of space, loungers and shade for everyone. And we're were there for spring break. The taxis just outside the hotel are great for taking you on tours for much less than the tour company. Yes it's far from the airport but it gives you a chance to see the country side since you may not leave the resort. We took a cab to Anton Valle and followed a tour bus. Just tagged along. It was fabulous. The animal refuge was so worth the trip. The organized a amazing wedding. The perfect evening, even playing our music at the reception dinner. Spent 2 very fun afternoons at Woody's bar just down the beach. Monique was a blast and made our afternoons so fun. Thanks Monique for bringing the police in for a photo op and the most amazing margaritas. Kids are allowed in and even they enjoyed the food and laughter. We are already playing our 5 year anniversary right back at the Decameron but will definitely extend our stay!

Room Tip: Stay in ocean front or in buildings 41-44. Try to get a second but even better third floor room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Northwestern Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Stayed at Decameron March 11-18, 2013.
My family of 4 left Toronto around 2:00 pm with direct flight and got to room at 11:00 pm, luggage arrived at 12:30 am. Hotel did have a restaurant open so we could eat which was great. Pamana takes photos and fingerprints of all adults enterring country so expect to wait at immigration for a long time. Also plane held 300 passengers and 250 of them went to Decameron. Hotel had a table with room assignments set up after immigration & baggage claim, however there was only 2 workers manning the table, so had to wait about 1 hr for room assigment (after 1 hr for immigration & luggage.) Then onto buses holding 44 passengers. Only 1 bus gets loaded with people & luggage at a time while other buses wait-this takes about 1/2 hour and your luggage may make it on that bus or may come on another. Next 2 hr drive. We arrived in room at 11:00 pm and luggage got to room at 12:30 am. During our stay at the Royal Decameron a man broke into our room. We ground floor in building 42. The four of us were asleep, and around 6:00 am panama time my husband was awoken by the sound of our patio door jiggling. We had seen security going around many times at the resort pulling on the patio doors to ensure they were locked so he assumed it was security doing a routine check and fell back to sleep. A few minutes later he awoke to find a stranger standing in our room. He sat up and yelled at the man to get out. My children and I awaoke during the commotion and I see the man with blue/teal coloured nylon shrts and no shirt. He had broken english and left immediately. My husband, got up and relocked the patio door. We attempted to settle our children down as they were very upset scared. I was thankful my husband woke up in time to stop the intruder from harming us. A short while later, maybe minutes had passed, our patio door started to jiggle again. I turned on the light and my husband went to the door. The person fled. I tried to phone the front desk to tell them what was happening, I picked up the phone and dialed "0" to get the hotel operator. The phone rang for several minutes and no one answered. I hung up and tried again. Still no answer. My husband went down to Lobby 3 to locate someone for help. Of course when he got there, language was a bit of an issue as we do not speak Spanish but he was able to get the message through to the person. My children were a little scared to let their dad leave, considering we did not know where the man was or what he was capable of. A short time later security must of came around checking outside as we seen flashlights shining all over. I am assuming the man seen the lights and fled. At first we tried to tell ourselves it was just a drunk guest, but considering it was 6:00 am and the disco closes at 2:00 am and casino closes @ 4:00, I do not think this is plausible as the man would not have had a place to hang out for the past 2 hours, plus the fact that he had no shirt on leads me to believe he had not been at either location. That evening when we went for dinner we stopped at Lobby 1 as we seen Linda "Sunshine" our Noli Tours rep at the coffee bar. I tried to explain to her what happened and she just said to go and tell Guest Services. There was no one at Guest Servies so I went to the front desk and asked for help. The man called someone on the phone and was speaking Spanish so I did not know what he said. He told me that the guest service lady would be there in 3 minutes as she was at Lobby 2. (There had been an elderly couple wainting at the Guest Service desk already when we arrived there.) My family waiited for a while. Still no one showed up. Finally, I went back to desk and asked where lady was, the man got on phone again. Next we were told Guest Service rep was eating supper and would be back in 30 minutes, so we could go and come back or she can call our room when she gets there. We decided to leave. After about 40 mins we returned and she still was not there. The man called again and she came shortly afterwards. Her name was Maria. I explained the situation of the intruder in our room and she said that she had been on duty that night and did not hear a word about it. She also said she would get someone to look at the security tapes to see if they could find anything but since it was now the evening there was no guarantee. I also mentioned that when I dialed "0" no one answered. She said that you have to dial 2050 in order to reach someone. Not sure how that is supposed to make sense. We left and she came out to see us on the pathway and said that if we were concerned for our safety we could move to a room on the second floor. We discussed it and said ok as my children were still very scared, especially now that it was dark again. Maria said she would sent a bell boy down to help move our stuff. So we went to our room and started to pack. Once we were done, we waited a bit and then called the lobby to see where our help was and to get the new room key. No one answered. The four of us walked to Lobby 3. I talked to the 2 front desk girls and neither one knew anything about this. One of them went over and started talking in Spanish to the security guard. As it turned out he was the one my husband spoke to when he repotred the incident. The guard spoke no English. The lady still was not able to figure out why we needed a new room, but she said there was none available in our bldg. I told her that Maria said there was and that it was on a higher floor with 2 double beds and the daybed to accomodate the family, the same layout that we had currently. After a few minutes she said she did find us a room but she had no idea where the bell man was. So my family and her moved all our stuff by ourselves.
Our new room, 4224 was warm once we got moved into it and there was no bedding on the daybed. The lady said she would get the bed made up and the air conditioning adjusted. There is a remote that must be used to adjust the a/c and only a couple maintenance guys have the remote. Therefore you have to call for someone to come & adjust it and wait for them to get there. On our first night in our original room, we were very hot but since did not get into our room till midnight, we did not have a chance to get a/c fixed. So in the morning I asked at Lobby 1 for our a/c to get adjusted. I ended up asking 4 times before someone came. Then they made it way to cold, during the night we turned off the a/c. In the morning I turned it on again and now it went back to some default or factory reset so you have to go through the whole process of trying to get someone to come again.
So when the lady said she would get the a/c in the new room adjusted I was thrilled to not have to go through the hassle of trying to get it done again myself. It was about 9:30 pm by the time the moving was done, so we decided to go and try to watch the show, since workers still needed to come & go in our room. Once the show was over we walked back to our room, only to discover that the a/c was not done and the room was still quite hot. I walked back to Lobby 1, about a 5 minute walk each way and asked to see the manager. He was gone and would not be back till 7 am. I asked to see Maria, she was gone as well. I demanded to know why our a/c was not done. Front desk man called someone and they said the a/c had been done, I said no it hadn't. He said he would sent someone right away. I walked back. As I passed building 41 I seen 2 maintenance guys standing on the second floor looking around and scratching their heads. Shortly afterwards they made their way to our room in the next building on the second floor. The guys had been in our room for about 5 minutes as they could not get it to adjust. Finally they were done.
We awoke the next morning to the maid knocking on our door @ 8:30 am, and our room was freezing again. We tried to ask the maid to come back later as we were all tired and cold from 2 nights with not much sleep. She must not have understood, as she did not come back at all to clean the room. I had to go to Lobby 3 at dinner time that night to ask for our room to be cleaned and to get towels. The next night we had enough of freezing, shut the a/c off and when we turned it back on the following day, it was warm again. We gave up on calling someone to adjust.
and ask a worker the questions due to the language complications.
There are safes in rooms and cost approx $4/day to use. There is no free wi-fi.
Resort grounds are beautiful and exterior maintenace constantly going on during the day.
Food was very good, typical all-inclusinve buffet food, always able to find something to eat. Resort was not packed and plenty of room under cabanas on beach.
Do not expect to snorkel in the ocean as water is murky always but great for swimming in. If you float and stay still,cannon ball jellies will brush up against you (kind of neat to feel)
Banana boating & snorkel excursions cost money, no boogie boards available.
If traveling to resort with Noli-Tours try using someone else as they do not care about customers or if they are safe and happy. They have had a week to address my concerns and still not a word from them, resort though is very nice and weather was extremely hot with no rain.

Room Tip: Stayed in building 42, room 4214. All buildings seem to have same furnishings. First room was ground...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Stayed in the Royal Decameron for a wedding May 2012, booked through sunwing vacations. From the airport to the long bus ride to the resort was constant disorganization, luckily check in was easy and our time within the resort was well set up for us.

The resort is large, fairly maintained but lacked any real charm. The beach was full of jellyfish, and rocky (but you can't control nature), the pool was refreshing & clean, which is always a bit unfortunate as I love to dip my toes in the ocean when away but could not this time. We visited the tiny but fairly stocked gym a few times to use the weights, the steps outdoors offered us lots of cardio, so this was fun. We also visited the disco one night for some dancing, lots of locals there too, was fun for the young, we stayed only for a drink. Bars at this resort were fairly well stocked, as I am not a big drinker (ie I'll maybe have 5 drinks in one whole day max), no premium drinks though!

Restaurants were all pretty well the same, a bit bland and tasting very similar to each other. Of the a la cartes, my favorite was the meditteranean inspired. The buffet's were all extremely bland, and I have simple tastes, but the eggs had no flavor and the fruit were never the correct ripeness (always flavorless, either woody or mushy), service at the restaurants was all very underwelming.

Rooms were more like a three star, clean but nothing special, beds were hard, but we never had any trouble sleeping, temperature control was fine (our ac worked, and I always need ac on vacation to sleep)...nothing to complain about, but nothing to cheer about either.

The main reason I would never visit this resort again is due to the 2hour plus bus ride from the airport to the property, it was not scenic and completely unnecessary after a 5 hour flight. There are just too many other countries to visit that fit into my idea of a fun vacation to do this again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Royal Decameron Beach Resort, Golf & Casino? Share your experiences!